The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > The New Silmarillion > Translations from the Elvish - Public Forum
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-27-2003, 02:41 PM   #25
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Since the Discussions about Fog had been idle the last days, I couldn't resist and had put my hand one Maedhros stuff in the privat forum.
But since I wished to have that discussion here in the open forum, I have to find a way to strip it from most of its textual value. That's hard to do and takes some time. So please be patient if this comes up only bit by bit.
I will start in this thread with the "General changes" and since in that there is not text I will first give Meadhros post from the privat forum as Quote:
Quote:
General changes

RD-01
Eärendel to Eärendil per QS77 and LR.

RD-02
Elfinesse to Elvenesse per Tolkien's general change of Elfin to Elven from earlier to later writings.

RD-03
Melko to Morgoth per QS77. After Bolt, Tolkien almost never uses Melkor in narration of events following Fëanor's invention of the name Morgoth, except in a back-reference to ancient times.

RD-04
Noldoli to Noldor per QS77. Noldoli, though possibly still a valid form, is not used at all in QS77 or late Tolkien writings.

RD-05
Gnome/Gnomes to Elf/Elves or Noldo/Noldor. "Gnomes" was dropped by Tolkien in LR and later writings, often replaced by Noldor. It would be better artistically to retain the original variation Gnome/Gnomes and Noldo/Noldoli which can be best done by replacing Gnome/Gnomes by Elf/Elves except where a general reference to Elves would not fit, as in "the Gnomes were exiles at heart, haunted with a desire for their ancient home that faded not." Then use Noldor.

RD-06
Nauglafring to Nauglamír per QS77.

RD-07
Úrin to Húrin per LR.

RD-08
Glorund to Glaurung per Wanderings of Húrin.

RD-09
Tinwelint to Thingol per LR.

RD-10
Hisilómë to Hithlum per The Shaping of Middle-Earth: The Sketch of Mythology
The six remaining sons of Fëanor (Maglor, Celegorm, Curufin, Damrod, Díriel, and Cranthir) ate encamped about the lake Mithrim in Hisilómë (Hithlum, or Dorlómin, the land of shadows in the North-west), when they hear of the march of Finweg and his men who have crossed the Grinding Ice.

RD-11
Rodothlim to elves of Nargothrond per QS77.

RD-12
Artanor to Doriath per QS30.

RD-13
Cûm an-Idrisaith (Mound of Avarice) to Cûm-nan-Arasaith per QS30. This need linguistic revision.

RD-14
Gwenniel to Melian per QS30.

RD-15
Angamandi to Angband per QS30.

RD-16
Nauglath (dwarves of Nogrod) to Firebeards per The Peoples of Middle-Earth, Note 24: My father refers here to four places of awakening of the Seven Ancestors of the Dwarves: those of 'the ancestors of the Firebeards and the Broadbeams', 'the ancestor of the Longbeards', 'the Ironfists and Stiffbeards', and 'the Blacklocks and Stonefoots'. (None of these names of the other six kindreds of the Dwarves has ever been given before. Since the ancestors of the Firebeards and the Broadbeams awoke in the Ered Lindon, these kindreds must be presumed to be the Dwarves of Nogrod and Belegost.)

RD-17
Indrafangs (dwarves of Belegost) to Broadbeams per Home 12 see RD-17.

RD-18
Umboth-muilin (Pools of Twilight) to Aelin-uial (Meres of Twilight) per QS77 and UT.

RD-19
Karkaras (Knife-fang) to Carcharoth ('the Red Maw') per QS77.

RD-20
i·Guilwarthon (the living-dead) to Dor Firn-i-Guinar ('Land of the Dead that Live') per QS77.

RD-21
Sarnathrod to Sarn Athrad per QS77.

RD-22
Lamp of Faëry to Silmaril (jewel of Fëanor) per Bolt II.

RD-23
Ausir to nothing ? Still in the works.

RD-24
Auredhir (son of Dior) to Eluréd and Elurín per QS77.

RD-25
Maidros to Maeðros per Home 10.

RD-26
Dinithel to Amras per QS77.

RD-27
Cranthor to Caranthir per QS77.

RD-28
Ermabwed to Erchamion per QS77.

RD-29
Mavwin to Morwen per QS77.

RD-30
Nienóri to Nienor per UT.

RD-31
Egnor to Barahir per QS77.

RD-32
Damrod to Amrod per QS77.

RD-33
Galweg to Orodreth per QS77.

RD-34
Teiglin to Taeglin per WH note 55:
Taeglin(d) better Taeglind
*taika (√taya mark, line, limit > tayak) mǽre, boundary, limit, boundary line.
linde 'singer / singing', name (or element in names) of many rivers of quick course that make a rippling sound.
mǽre is an Old English word of the same meaning. – It seems that the form chosen for the published Silmarillion should have been Taeglin rather than Teiglin (see p. 228, §28).

RD-35
Gwendelin to Melian per QS77.

RD-36
Silver Bowl to Dimrost (the Rainy Stair) per QS77.

Note : Changes 2 to 5 are the work of jallanite.
Most of this is without question but with some I have some trouble:

RD-19 & 17
I am not sure in the moment, but I think Nauglath is still valide word for Dwarves in general. So in most circumstances I would let it stand.
The association of the Firebeards and Broadbeams with the Dwarves of the Ered Luin is clear. But How did you come to the conclusion that the Broadbeams were the Dwarves of Belegost? I would take the Firebeards as take over from the Indrafangs or Longbeards just by the association of both with beards.

RD-26
The change it self is unquestionable. But is Amras still alive in our version of the story?

RD-34
Galweg was the father of Flinding in The Tale of Turambar. The proper update would be Guilin father of Gwindor and Gelmir.

So, that's it for this thread. I will open a new one for each section that Meadhros had propused.

Respectfully
Findegil

[ October 27, 2003: Message edited by: Findegil ]
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote