The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-23-2007, 11:14 AM   #1
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
A secret weapon?

At the beginning of both The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, Gandalf is described as having “eyebrows that extended beyond the brim of his hat”.

Did Tolkien merely do this as a joke or did he seriously mean it? Can you imagine if he seriously meant it? It might not look so outlandish when he has a hat on, but when he takes it off...

"If I put styling gel in it just right and point the ends and hold them until they dry, they make very effective pokers for anyone who tries to attack me."

This thread can be used for people’s opinions on the matter, and other descriptions that seem like Tolkien couldn’t have meant it. I would like some serious thoughts on the matter, but not very many are necessary.

Also if anyone could get a hold of some pictures that correctly portray his eyebrows, I would be interested in seeing them.

--Finduilas--

Last edited by Finduilas; 04-23-2007 at 11:22 AM.
Finduilas is offline   Reply With Quote