The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-17-2007, 07:45 PM   #3681
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Oh, good. I am relieved. I will definitely be able to mod, and I can start planning before I leave, I just couldn't start it, realistically, within a week.

Thanks, to you both!

-- Folwren
Old 01-18-2007, 02:11 PM   #3682
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
Oh, good. I am relieved. I will definitely be able to mod
Good to hear that, Foley!
I will here and now reserve a place in your game as I got dropped off the last one just when it started getting interesting...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:13 PM   #3683
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
I will here and now reserve a place in your game as I got dropped off the last one just when it started getting interesting...
Old 01-18-2007, 02:23 PM   #3684
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo
Blahh to you too, you wolf-cretin! And I alredy got you (well, almost) in the end of Day2. If your friends hadn't got me busy my last Day, then...

But yes, well played indeed! I'm looking forwards to see you in this game. Maybe we can be on the same side this time?
Old 01-18-2007, 02:31 PM   #3685
Volo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
Maybe we can be on the same side this time?
Hmm... We shall see. I might leave the next game out, again. Sorry, Folwren. And
I don't think being on the same side is good for either of us: I'll just waste all my time suspecting you...

Ok, offtopic.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:08 AM   #3686
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
So we can sign up already? Count me in!
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 05:03 PM   #3687
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien
So we can sign up already? Count me in!
I....guess so. But it would be most helpful if you said so officially on the Admin thread, whenever I get that up...

-- Foley
Old 01-19-2007, 10:17 PM   #3688
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Out of respect for the game in progress please refrain from signing up for the next game until the current game is over.

Thanks
Old 01-20-2007, 03:14 AM   #3689
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
I....guess so. But it would be most helpful if you said so officially on the Admin thread, whenever I get that up...
Quote:
Originally Posted by morm
Out of respect for the game in progress please refrain from signing up for the next game until the current game is over.
Okay, then. No problem.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:05 PM   #3690
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Mormegil, Nogrod, others... I've decided not to mod this game. Reasons for not doing so are in no way connected to anyone here, so don't worry about it.

Have fun, everyone.

-- Folwren

Last edited by Folwren; 01-22-2007 at 11:55 AM.
Folwren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:51 AM   #3691
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I be here, signing up for whoever's game is next...
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:58 AM   #3692
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Nogrod, would you be able to begin within a week or so. As the opportunity came somewhat sudden and you weren't expecting to mod so soon there will be a grace period if you need it.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:21 AM   #3693
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Can I sign up for the next game yet? Can I? Can I? Whoever's modding, I want to play!

Last edited by Rikae; 01-21-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 12:36 PM   #3694
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil
Nogrod, would you be able to begin within a week or so. As the opportunity came somewhat sudden and you weren't expecting to mod so soon there will be a grace period if you need it.
No problem. I'll throw a sketch of the game in 24 hours...
I have given it some thought already and can start it as soon as we have enough players.

I'm going to open an admin thread soon enough.

Sad to hear that Foley, I hope you are willing and able to mod the next one...

Last edited by Nogrod; 01-21-2007 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:30 PM   #3695
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Just some preliminary revelations & questions...

What I can reveal already is that I would still be going for more than one Ranger. I think it's high time to see a real battle where the goodies have an actual chance to really fight back and where the baddies need to consider their kills with some more thought. And to balance this, I think the wolves should be given two kills a Night as long as there are three of them... (the numbers will of course depend on the number of players) But it's up to you too. I'm not wishing to try and stage a game no one else is interested than I myself.

Would you like a game that would have in it an air of insecurity? One version of the game I have thought includes the idea that the players would not fully know what is going on (aka not knowing all the roles in the game). These facts would be revealed by the narrations (not the facts over who is who, of course, but the facts of which kind of roles there are - and there would not be any shifting roles: everyone stays in the role they are given in the beginning!) but they would have to be thought about, giving something more for the villagers and the villains tochew about.

(Just trust me on this. I have thought of a host of different initial arrangements and how would they play and have tried to come up with one or two possible ones that seem equal)

How would you like a kind of a Gallup before the game? I thought one way of enlivening the Day1 could be revealing the results of a villager-poll where people could have "secretly" told me (by PM's) before the game who they are afraid of and who they tend to look at symphatetically (I would be making a formal questionnaire on this to every player by a PM before the game starts). Infused into the Day1 narration that could give people something to pick up upon as the results would be the shared beliefs of the village (with no individual points revealed). Just one more way of trying to make the Day1 a bit more reasonable...

After all this, I also admit enjoying the really basic games.

It's up to you which one you wish to take on. A mildly experimental one (with more than one ranger and possibly one or two other extra-roles, like a seer, a hunter, a cobbler, or something; possibly unknown to the villagers but by interpreting the narrations) or a basic game. I'm happy with both, but would surely like to try the ideas I have been entertaining in my head the last month...

These thoughts I think should be shared here. After I have enough points on one way or another I will start an admin thread where we can continue this untill all is set.

Up to now it seems that Durelin and Rikae have signed up to whatever comes. Also I have talked with Lommy today and know she will be in too.

So the preliminary list of players stands in:
Durelin
Rikae
Thinlómien

Feel free to join and make your comments on the above questions. The admin thread will be opened as soon as there is some preliminary agreement on behalf of enough of the people whether we will go for a game of rangers fighting the wolves in one or another version or with a basic-basic game...

PS. I will be considering the importance of any "WW-character roles" with the result of the kind of game chosen, so at least for now there is no hurry in getting an occupation as I'm not sure we'll need them.

Last edited by Nogrod; 01-21-2007 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:44 PM   #3696
Volo

Hmm... It's too hard to resist... Count me in!

I vote for the most confusing version you have thought of.

But first: When does Day end? When (about) will the game be going on?
Next weekend I'm off to somewhere...
Old 01-21-2007, 03:28 PM   #3697
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Well, I'm all for experimentation! Anything that will require new strategies, and keep us on our toes...
Old 01-21-2007, 03:51 PM   #3698
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

The (updated) attendance so far:
Durelin
Rikae
Thinlómien
Volo
Kath
Kitanna?

I could take up to 16-18 players, but we'll see how many we'll be able to sign up for this one...

The Deadline would be something like 9-10 PM GMT. With an avalanche of argumentation I might change it, but at least for now this would be the most convenient for me and securing I can take care of the endings and the beginnings of the days / nights...

Last edited by Nogrod; 01-21-2007 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:13 PM   #3699
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I predict being thoroughly confused ... but count me in Noggie! This experimental version sounds like fun.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:25 PM   #3700
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

If it's all the same to you, 10 pm GMT would be infinitely better than 9, as far as I'm concerned; 9, or 4 EST, will find me still in school Tuesday and Thursday.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:36 PM   #3701
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Sounds interesting and I'd like to play. But I may not be able too. Nogrod if you could please put a question mark by my name. I'll have definite answer in a day or two.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:19 PM   #3702
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitanna
Sounds interesting and I'd like to play. But I may not be able too. Nogrod if you could please put a question mark by my name. I'll have definite answer in a day or two.
Done. I think it will take a few days to sign up enough people so probably we're ready to start the game at earliest the next week (not the week that starts tomorrow, but in 7-8 days from now). Just to inform you to count your scheduals.

I mean 18 players would be just luxurious but we can start with about 15 too. All this makes the starting-date move there and fore.

I'll try to come about with an admin thread tomorrow.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:51 AM   #3703
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Count me in!

I'm all for experiments as well, and I trust you to make it well-balanced for both sides. The deadline is excellent for me and I'm already looking forward to that questionnaire.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:15 AM   #3704
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Count me in

As long as it starts in about a week there should be no problem.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:38 AM   #3705
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

People flooding in in quite a pace...

But it's great! And this game seems to be gathering good players too... I almost can't wait!
Old 01-22-2007, 09:59 AM   #3706
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I was going to take a 'breather' for a while...but me miss Nogrod's game!? Pah, aint gonna happen.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:56 AM   #3707
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

The (updated) attendance so far:
Durelin
Rikae
Thinlómien
Volo
Kath
Kitanna?
Macalaure
Rune son of Bjarne
Boromir88
Mithalwen?
Lalwendë

I will be opening an admin thread in a short while (just got home)...

Good to see you all!

Another seven would be special and great!

Last edited by Nogrod; 01-22-2007 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:35 PM   #3708
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

The admin thread is now opened. It is here.

Please continue the discussion about this one there.

Signing up will be made there too.

I hope to see you in the game that throws us back to the things that gave birth to the story of Beren and Lúthien!
Old 02-03-2007, 01:42 PM   #3709
Volo

Mac, you have no problems modding the next game? (Just asking (Well, actually no, but want tell why.).)
Old 02-06-2007, 03:41 PM   #3710
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
As I understand it, this is the current list:

Mac
Volo
Menel
Fordim
Morm

I've been preparing my game the last days, but if you have a good reason, Volo, then we could switch positions. Wouldn't be a problem to me.

Otherwise, I will put up the admin thread within the next two days. I could start this weekend or early next week, whatever suits you.

It is going to be a simple game again, three wolves, seer, ranger, hunter, cobbler and as many cannon fod..*cough* innocent villagers as want to join.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:12 PM   #3711
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Mac, sign me up for cannon fodder.

Oh, and one other thing...what's the limit on the length of the mod list? Because if there's room to get in line, I have something in mind....
Old 02-06-2007, 04:26 PM   #3712
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

You're most welcome!

As I understand it, the limit is five. So you should be able to be put down once that I'm off.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:38 PM   #3713
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'd like to play, too, Mac. Maybe I'll live longer this time.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:04 PM   #3714
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Excellent!

I was too excited about it. The admin thread is already up and running.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:29 AM   #3715
Volo

As much as I'd like to play in your game, I won't, too many things left undone because of werewolf...
Old 02-07-2007, 12:37 PM   #3716
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
White-Hand

The next list:

Mac has his admin thread underway so

Volo
Fordim
Morm
Rikae

Volo, are you able to commit to modding the next one?(after Mac's)

Fordim has not been in this thread since his "sign me up" post. I have no idea if he is still going to mod.

PS: Sorry I wasn't able to get this info up sooner. RL is unfair sometimes

Edit: Foley is unable to mod her game, therefore, Rikae you are on the list

Last edited by Naria; 02-13-2007 at 05:08 PM.
Naria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:55 PM   #3717
Volo

I guess I can. Timewise it can be a problem as I'm away 1-10.03 and probably busy the next week. The game has been planned already for a long time, so the only problem is the time.

Kath, still interested in helping?
Old 02-07-2007, 01:27 PM   #3718
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Sure! But it'll have to be by PM or e-mail as my MSN is just so untrustworthy these days I barely use it. That ok?
Old 02-11-2007, 01:08 PM   #3719
Volo

Menel, would you like to swich places with me? I have a feeling that I won't be able to mod a game during that time.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:22 AM   #3720
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Is Menel even here anymore?

His last post was about a month ago, and it was this one.