The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-19-2003, 03:40 PM   #1
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe Flummoxed

Could anybody tell me whether the word "flummoxed" is a real word? It is used very often, and from the context it seems like it means "confused, bewildered, freaked out..." but I was wondering if Tolkien made it up. I found one entry on it at an online dictionary, but it could have originally been made up by Tolkien in any case, like Hobbit or hafling. By the way, was the word hafling made up by Tolkien?

Edit: The entry that I found online was "To confuse; perplex."

[ March 19, 2003: Message edited by: GaladrieloftheOlden ]
Old 03-19-2003, 03:48 PM   #2
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

I've heard it, and used it! It's in my "American Heritage Dictionary" FLUMMOX- (slang). To confuse; perplex. [origin obscure]

I like it! I think of Bilbo being quite "flummoxed" when Gandalf makes the mark on his door and all the dwarves begin showing up! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-20-2003, 12:25 AM   #3
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

InklingElf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to InklingElf
Tolkien

According to The Oxford Dictionary of Current English, it is a real word [though I rarely use it].

It is a verb and it means [to] bewilder, or disconsert. The origin is not cited.

BTW: Where did you get this word from? [I surely hope it has something to do with Tolkien's book(s)and I'm sure it might be 'cause you said it might be from the Hobbit].

Halfling? Hmmm...I suppose it is. I haven't heard of any other author that uses it.

[ March 20, 2003: Message edited by: InklingElf ]
InklingElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 04:20 AM   #4
Selmo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Selmo has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

"Halfling" is in my dictionary.
As it was published in 1901, I've come to the conclusion, after much thought, that Tolkien didn't invent the word.
Selmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 06:30 PM   #5
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Ahh i see. My mistake Selmo [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]. Where'd you find that?
Old 03-20-2003, 07:40 PM   #6
Carorëiel
Haunting Spirit

Carorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

From the OED online:

"flummox--trans. To bring to confusion; to ‘do for’, cause to fail; to confound, bewilder, nonplus"

--been in use since at least the 1830s . . .

Hope that helps. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ March 20, 2003: Message edited by: Carorëiel ]
Old 03-20-2003, 07:53 PM   #7
Carorëiel
Haunting Spirit

Carorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

And while I'm being a dorky English major:

(also from the OED on-line--an extremely useful tool, if dorky [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img])

"Halfling 1. One not fully grown; a stripling.

1794 Statist. Acc. Scotl., Forfarsh. XII. 304 (Jam.) Wages of a man servant £10..Of a haflin, £5. 1804 R. ANDERSON Cumberld. Ball. 87 She'd little to de, To tek sec a hawflin as he. Mod. Sc. Advt., Baker, Wanted, a stout Halflin, about 3 years at the trade."
Old 03-21-2003, 09:45 AM   #8
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Although invented by JRRT, the word "Hobbit" has entered the OED.

From my Concise Oxford Dictionary:

Quote:
hobbit n. a member of an imaginary race of half-sized people in stories by Tolkien ... invented by JRR Tolkien, Engl. writer d. 1973, and said by him to mean "hole-dweller".
Old 03-21-2003, 10:06 AM   #9
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I love stuff like this, etymologies and such.

A simple curiousity: did the surroundings of Imladris actually consist of a "riven" dell? Would the cause of this apparent fault be the Bruinen? Or, perhaps this is just an odd play on words that Tolkien decided to use.

Iarwain

P.S. Another thought, it's sort of funny that they put Hobbit in the OED, considering Tolkien worked on its production.

[ March 21, 2003: Message edited by: Iarwain ]
Old 03-21-2003, 12:29 PM   #10
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

The definition of "hobbit" is also in my dictionary Saucepan -- always comforting to have ME lurking around every corner of the "real" world.

Iarwain: Quite interesting [I also think about these things], although I won't be able to answer it [quite definitely]. That question might be answered in the E.L.F. forum. Meanwhile, I provide no basis for your meaning, with the exception that Tolkien doesn't usually play around words [because his words almost always has a meaning behind it].
Old 03-21-2003, 12:42 PM   #11
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Quote:
BTW: Where did you get this word from? [I surely hope it has something to do with Tolkien's book(s)and I'm sure it might be 'cause you said it might be from the Hobbit].
Yes- I just reread the Hobbit this year, having not read (or have it being read to me) it since- I don't know, Kindergarden, First Grade (?), and noticed the amount of times Tolkien uses the word. Having not heard it before, and not knowing that I could ask the question ont he BDs [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] I assumed it was a Tolkien-word, and never even thought of using a dictionary. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2003, 12:48 PM   #12
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Here's link from The Encyclopedia of Arda for rare and arachaic words used in Tolkien's works, as well as some British colloquialisms which might be unfamiliar to the American reader:

WORDS
Old 03-21-2003, 12:51 PM   #13
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Interesting link piosenniel --I also have many of the words in my Book of Lost Tales I and II
Old 05-09-2003, 08:08 PM   #14
Nyneve
Animated Skeleton

Nyneve has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It is in the title of the book "The Woman who Flumoxed the Faeries" It means tricked or confused
Old 05-09-2003, 09:10 PM   #15
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Quote:
... British colloquialisms which might be unfamiliar to the American reader
"Flummoxed" is a word that is still in fairly common use in Britain. I have certainly used it, and heard it used, quite a bit.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:28 PM   #16
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That is cool that all your dictionaries have hobbit in it.
Mine Doesn't [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Darn the Webster's New Ideal Dictionary from 1978 (it is my fathers)
But do you know that hob means mischief/trouble, I wonder if that is why Merry and Pippin are the way they are [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] (I highly doubt it)
Old 05-11-2003, 09:34 AM   #17
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

Nice link, Pionsenniel- I'll be sure to use some of those words in my own writing, fiction, non-, and of course poetry. It's always nice being able to find the perfect word and to actually know the meaning.

As well, I've been known to use the word 'flummox' and the suffix '-ling' in everyday speech, and I live in the middle of nowhere (ie: 2 miles from the geographic center of New York.). Cheers,

Fea
Old 05-12-2003, 02:30 PM   #18
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Thank you for the link, Piosenniel!

I always wondered about "confusticate and bebother these dwarves!" in the Hobbit... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

If some of Tolkien's expressions are unfamiliar even for English-speaking people, you can imagine how it is for the others! (e.g. words like "fey" can't be found in a normal dictionary.)
Old 05-12-2003, 02:44 PM   #19
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Fey isn't in dictionaries? Really? What is the world coming to...
Fey comes from the Germanic/scandinavian feigur, doomed to die. But some people also relate it to the French word for fairy, fee. As Tolkien used it means to have the air of someone about to die. But people these days use it more to mean skittish, vague, otherworldly, as in, like one of the fairy folk.
One of my brothers learnt his English chiefly from Tolkien, and as a result sounded rather eccentric to native speakers, particularly when he was a teenager. I'll never forget the face of the Cockney London sports shop assistant when my brother, aged about 14, asked him with a heavy accent "can you take this bow asunder?"

[ May 12, 2003: Message edited by: Lalaith ]
Old 05-31-2004, 09:13 AM   #20
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
I do remember reading someplace that hobbit is enlisted as one of the kinds of Fairy Folk in some list made by someone by the end of XIX AD. I'll try to dig it up

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 09:15 AM   #21
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Fey isn't in dictionaries? Whew! I used it for a scrabble game the other day, and my opponant was contemplating looking it up and challenging me. I live on luck...
Old 05-31-2004, 10:02 AM   #22
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Fey isn't in dictionaries?
Sure it is.
"This miserable drizzling afternoon I have been reading up old military lecture-notes again:- and getting bored with them after an hour and a half. I have done some touches to my nonsense fairy language - to its improvement."
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 12:26 PM   #23
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

I was referring to normal-sized printed dictionaries, German-English! I have 3 at home, and none of it had "fey" in it, not even the fat one. I found it, however, in my Oxford Concise dictionary (English-English) The German-English dictionary my son has for school doesn't even have words like "wraith" "to wield" "fell" in it! (not modern enough, I guess, alas! )
Old 05-31-2004, 02:28 PM   #24
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
White Tree

Guinevere, I found "flummox", "fey" and all of the words you mentioned in my English-German dictionary. It's a Langenscheidt's Großes Schulwörterbuch, 1996 version. "Hobbit" is not included, though "hob" is defined as a "Kobold", an imp or goblin.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 02:29 AM   #25
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Well, it seems my dictionaries (They're also Langenscheidt) are not large enough!
Anyhow, I just wanted to say that reading Tolkien is quite a challenge to people with only a small or average knowledge of English (My son gave up after the first chapter of the Hobbit... and I know others who just read on but never bother to look up all the words they don't understand)

Thanks Piosenniel for the link to the online-dictionary! (I have overcome my dislike for computers and found the blessings of the internet only after having become a Tolkien fan ! )
Old 06-01-2004, 03:31 PM   #26
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Concerning 'Hobbit'

Although the only usable definition of this word is the one invented by Tolkien, it does occur in the Denham Tracts, a series of jottings on folklore collected by Michael Denham during the 1840s and 50s. It appears in a list of supernatural creatures, and is defined by Denham as 'a class of spirit'. There's an outside possibility that Tolkien had read this work and remembered the name, but it's more likely to be a coincidence.

This information came to light in 1979, but the staff of the Oxford English Dictionary had previously asked Tolkien for a definition of 'Hobbit', which still forms the basis for theirs.

Last edited by The Squatter of Amon Rûdh; 06-06-2004 at 07:36 AM.
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 03:34 PM   #27
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
White Tree

I remembered that there was a thread about rare and arcane vocabulary some time ago and searched for it. We discussed Tolkien's usage of words like 'fey' and 'doom' on Tolkien vocabulary - enjoy!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 05:48 AM   #28
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Thx, Squatter, that's the thing I vaguely remembered and promised to dig up. You let me off

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 11:43 AM   #29
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Yep...flummox and fey are not too obscure ...especially not flummox...... ...i have and would use both though I think I would be more likely to use flummox in speech than writing...

can't say I have ever used confusticate or bebother though.....
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote