The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2010, 04:04 PM   #3481
Airaloske
Animated Skeleton

Airaloske has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Hah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
You bet. We're putting together an Irish band, so we usually hang out about once a week. He'll get a kick out of this.

Just yesterday he was mentioning he had a daughter who's a big Tolkien fan and is currently living in West Virginia, so it was a bit eerie to come on here today and see you posting.

thats actually quite hilarious. glad my dad remembered

Irish band? if you ever need backup female vocals and have an extra plane ticket to CA i'm totally in
Old 01-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #3482
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airaloske View Post
thats actually quite hilarious. glad my dad remembered

Irish band? if you ever need backup female vocals and have an extra plane ticket to CA i'm totally in
Ha ha. Right on.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:01 PM   #3483
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Hi Airaloske! You sound like you were born to be a Downer. Welcome, and nice to have you with us!
Old 01-08-2010, 05:02 PM   #3484
Airaloske
Animated Skeleton

lol "born to be a downer"

that made me laugh for some reason

but in all honesty, thank you
Old 01-08-2010, 05:07 PM   #3485
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwath
I know your dad
That's quite a coincidence. Welcome to the Downs, Airaloske!
Old 01-08-2010, 05:09 PM   #3486
Airaloske
Animated Skeleton

this kind of thing happens to me quite often, actually

thanks!
Old 01-08-2010, 05:29 PM   #3487
Airaloske
Animated Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
That's quite an intro, Airaloske. Welcome to the Downs!
For Tolkien talk, I know of no better place than this. Make yourself at home, and jump right into whatever strikes your interest.
hah i thought i'd give you all something to read.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:51 PM   #3488
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
lol "born to be a downer"

that made me laugh for some reason

but in all honesty, thank you
Hehe, possibly because "being a Downer" means that you are "dead". And yet, "born to be dead" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Welcome, Aira!
Old 01-08-2010, 08:07 PM   #3489
Airaloske
Animated Skeleton

:d
Old 01-08-2010, 08:12 PM   #3490
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote

Welcome, Aira!
You have an official nickname!! It'll stick with you for the rest of your death.

Anyways, welcome to the Down's!!
Old 01-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #3491
Airaloske
Animated Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glirdan View Post
You have an official nickname!! It'll stick with you for the rest of your death.

Anyways, welcome to the Down's!!

hah thats always the nickname
Old 01-09-2010, 03:03 AM   #3492
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
hah thats always the nickname
Mm, glad you don't mind. I already get confused enough with Lottie, Lommy, and Lossie (admittedly both Lottie and Lossie are mine, but still...). Adding Loskie to the mix would make my head hurt.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #3493
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Aira sounds nice, better than Miggy or similar creations

Hope you'll enjoy the Downs!

Does Airaloske mean anything in a M-e language?
Old 01-09-2010, 02:07 PM   #3494
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Welcome, Airaloske! I deleted the e-mail address in your introductory post. Anyone who wants to contact you can do so by PM, and we encourage members not to give away too much personal information on the forum.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:20 PM   #3495
Airaloske
Animated Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
Aira sounds nice, better than Miggy or similar creations

Hope you'll enjoy the Downs!

Does Airaloske mean anything in a M-e language?
cant remember if its sindarin or quenya, but its a derivation of copper-haired. my hair used to be a red-brown. i've had this name for what seems like a million years.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:33 AM   #3496
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Welcome to 'downs, Aira and Dake! Hope you enjoy your stay.

And welcome back Glirdan and Dim! Lovely to see you back.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:59 AM   #3497
Joseph
Newly Deceased

Joseph has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye Hello everyone

Hi everyone my name is Joseph i`m a 23 year old male from North Wales in the uk
I`m very much into Tolkien after having read all of the lord of the rings books, the silmarillion (Gasp) and the hobbit. At the moment i`m trying to read the children of Hurin.
This is a great site for information about all of Tolkien`s work and I look forward to finding out all I can. I also find from what I have read that this forum is very warm and friendly and I hope to be able to get to know some fans of the lord of the rings.
hope this thread is ok
Thanks
Joseph
Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:46 AM   #3498
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Welcome, Joseph!

You're spot on in thinking this thread was the place to introduce yourself, and also in your estimation of this forum's excellence.

Cheers!
Old 01-25-2010, 01:03 PM   #3499
BHKoga127
Newly Deceased

BHKoga127 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to BHKoga127 Send a message via MSN to BHKoga127
Hey all, BHKoga127 here to bring you all some fresh blood.

So a bit about myself and my history with the rings...hmm...well, I wont lie to you kind people, I'm not the biggest rings fan out there, but I do enjoy the story and Tolkien, plus I have some friends who are die-hard fanatics (they're actually the ones who brought me to this place and "convinced" me to join). I do remember years ago reading The Hobbit and loving it immensely, then realizing I has seen something similar several years prior to that on TV. This lead me to find the animated movies on VHS and watch all of the series on my tiny little bedroom TV. I still own the VHS tapes today and am taking them down to college with me as this new semester gets ready to begin, to share with my aforementioned friends.

Anyway, in more recent years, I tried reading Fellowship for school, but a combination of being forced to read it, the time constraints on me, just landing my first job, and of course an ever increasing love of video games, well...I didn't finish. Actually, I only made it up to wonderful ol' Tom Bombadil, but in retrospect, better to camp out there and be merry while Frodo and the gang risk life an' limb towards Mordor. Hell, if they fail, I'll be relatively safe for a while, now wouldn't I? Well, safer than I'd be elsewhere. Besides that though, I have seen the movies and knowing that books are always better, I do plan on getting to them soon...I hope. College makes finding free time a little difficult, but I'm trying.

Other than all that, I suppose my only other claim to the world of the rings is that I do have one prized possession, my precious if you will, that more or less ensures I will forever be somewhat connected to the lands from the Shire to Mt. Doom. My grandmother gave me, so many years ago that even my mother forgot we had it, a wonderful book, protected in a cardboard sheath, and engraved with a familiar golden symbol of letters. It is a fabulous collection of J.R.R. Tolkien's art works, not just those seen in the books, but even doodles he'd done on random newspapers. I love looking at the images and maps he's drawn, so in respect to that, I hope one day to increase my knowledge of the whole of Middle Earth.

Now. That's more than enough babbling from me. As you may be able to tell already, I talk...a lot! You've now been warned, get me started on a topic I'm interested and be ready for a loooong conversation that will probably stray from random topic to random topic. Anyway, nice to be here, I hope we work well together. *bows*
Old 01-25-2010, 03:26 PM   #3500
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Mmm, fresh blood... *licks chops*

Welcome to the 'Downs, Koga, and I hope you enjoy your death!
Old 01-25-2010, 03:33 PM   #3501
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Welcome, Koga (Gosh it's not everyday one gets to read such an epic introduction post), and croeso, Joseph! May you both enjoy your afterlife!
Old 01-25-2010, 07:53 PM   #3502
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Hello, hello! *discovers that I cannot pull off creepy with my two-year-old voice* Welcome to the Downs, Koga and Joseph! So lovely to have two such non-spamming new folk here! I'm sure you'll fit right in with us Wights.

Koga, if you like talking a lot, per'aps you should try a werewolf game. We never shut up there.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:06 PM   #3503
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
Koga, if you like talking a lot, per'aps you should try a werewolf game. We never shut up there.
Now, now Lottie, no reason to be scaring off the newly dead with our Werewolf antics...although I do agree about the non-shutting up bit!

And I would also like to extend my hand in welcome (well, my virtual hand that is!! ) to our two newest members!!
Old 01-26-2010, 04:35 AM   #3504
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Narya Hullo!

Well, I shall call myself Galadriel on this site, after my favourite character

"I will diminish, and go into the West, and remain Galadriel"

Sadly, I have no friends who are fans of Lord of the Rings. One's a hardcore HP fan, and another couple are Twilight lovers (curse that disgrace of a book!).
Galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:13 AM   #3505
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Well met, Galadriel! You certainly have chosen a noble subject for your eponym.
I'll second one of your friends in liking the HP books, but the Twilight phenomenon is quite beyond my understanding. I think you'll find more than enough Tolkien fans here though.
Enjoy your stay!
Old 01-26-2010, 09:51 AM   #3506
Joseph
Newly Deceased

Hi again all

Hi again everyone. Thanks loslote,pitchwife and Inziladum and hope you enjoy the site welcome koga and Galadriel.
As for Twilight I don't think its that good as well. I`m not saying its a bad book but not as good as all the hype makes out.
I think the last book that was worth the hype is Mortal Engines. Its a great story about moving cities set in the far future in fact it is four books.
I also think that while Harry Potter is a clever set of books its morals are somewhat different to lord or the rings and evil is not as well defined.
sorry if this offends people its just my views.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:55 AM   #3507
BHKoga127
Newly Deceased

BHKoga127 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to BHKoga127 Send a message via MSN to BHKoga127
Thank you all for the warm welcome, it's nice to see a forum site where people aren't immediately ragging on newcomers. As for the Werewolf games, I'm already being pestered into joining one of my friends games, so give it enough time and I'll probably make my way over there too. Anyway, thanks again to everyone, now I shall head out into the downs and see what this afterlife holds for me.

P.S. I don't even want to get started on a rant about Twilight, so I wont, but welcome Galadriel nonetheless.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:01 AM   #3508
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHKoga127 View Post
Thank you all for the warm welcome, it's nice to see a forum site where people aren't immediately ragging on newcomers. As for the Werewolf games, I'm already being pestered into joining one of my friends games, so give it enough time and I'll probably make my way over there too. Anyway, thanks again to everyone, now I shall head out into the downs and see what this afterlife holds for me.

P.S. I don't even want to get started on a rant about Twilight, so I wont, but welcome Galadriel nonetheless.
Bahaha!!! Twilight....oh good memories there (don't ask it is really a long enough story). And don't worry about us ragging on you newcomers. We don't bite...hard.

And also a warm welcome to you Galadriel!! Enjoy your time here amongst the dead!
Old 01-26-2010, 02:53 PM   #3509
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Welcome, Joseph, Koga and Galadriel! Hope you enjoy your stay and hope it turns out to be long.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:16 AM   #3510
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Narya

Quote:
Well met, Galadriel! You certainly have chosen a noble subject for your eponym.
I'll second one of your friends in liking the HP books, but the Twilight phenomenon is quite beyond my understanding. I think you'll find more than enough Tolkien fans here though.
Enjoy your stay!
Thank you for the warm welcome And also everyone else! I'm sure I shall enjoy my stay amongst the deceased

Last edited by Galadriel; 01-27-2010 at 06:20 AM.
Galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:33 AM   #3511
Joseph
Newly Deceased

The Eye Hi again

hi all hows it going? Thanks Thinlómien for your warm welcome.
I wonder if anyone can tell me what the green boxes are where it says "Joseph has just left the shire?"
Thanks
Old 01-28-2010, 06:35 AM   #3512
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
I wonder if anyone can tell me what the green boxes are where it says "Joseph has just left the shire?"
Thanks
That's the marker for your Reputation status. Read more about it here.
The captions, such as 'X has just left Hobbiton' have changed since the Reputation system was first introduced, so don't let that confuse you.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:43 AM   #3513
Joseph
Newly Deceased

Thumbs up thanks

Thank you for telling me about the reputation meter that's a great help hope everyone is ok.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:14 AM   #3514
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
That's the marker for your Reputation status. Read more about it here.
The captions, such as 'X has just left Hobbiton' have changed since the Reputation system was first introduced, so don't let that confuse you.
Ooohhh. Those messages change as your rep does! I never noticed. I really am quite dense in some ways, you know.

Well, well, it seems I'm currently battling Black Riders on Weathertop. How exciting.

Let me take a break from the fight to welcome Joseph, Galadriel and BHKoga127– and sorry about the lateness. I don't check this thread enough.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #3515
Ceveneth

Ceveneth has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree Introducing: Me!

Hi everyone!

For starters, I'm a teenager, homeschooled, and a BIG literature and history buff. (Historical literature is even better)
Ceveneth means Earth in Sindarin, which is close to what my RL name means. And I liked how it sounded.
I'm a Tolkien fan, (like you didn't know that ) and I've read all of LOTR, The Hobbit, and the Silmarillion, and I've seen the LOTR movies, and I want to learn Elvish eventually.
I think that's all.
Ceveneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #3516
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Welcome, Ceveneth!

A history buff, hmm? Ever read anything by Barbara Tuchman?
And more power to you if you intend to learn Elvish to the point of speaking and writing it.
I look forward to seeing you around.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:08 PM   #3517
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Welcome to the Downs, Ceveneth! I hope you enjoy your death here in our wonderful community of wights!
Old 03-04-2010, 09:12 PM   #3518
Ceveneth

Ceveneth has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree Hi

Hi Lottie! I'm Emeraldstar on CoE!
Ceveneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:14 PM   #3519
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceveneth View Post
Hi Lottie! I'm Emeraldstar on CoE!
Really?? Hi!!! *glomps Em - Evie, now*
Old 03-05-2010, 05:00 PM   #3520
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White Tree Welcome!

It's good to have you join us, Ceveneth! Welcome to the Downs!
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote