The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2001, 08:11 PM   #1
Zippo
Animated Skeleton

Zippo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Zippo
Question Tom Bombadil

I have a Question. Im sure its been asked millions of times. But Will Tom Bombadil be in the new FOtR movie.
Old 12-11-2001, 08:38 PM   #2
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

To know for sure we have to wait till next week - ! No seriously, there's a discussion on this in the "A serious problem with the removal of Tom Bombadil" thread. I've said it elsewhere, but it's very hard to include Tom and not have him come off looking like an idiot. <P>The drawback (should he be removed that is) is that the story becomes much darker without that bright moment of safety between the Shire and Rivendell. <P>Also, in the Barrowdowns Frodo undergoes a major change, there is a foreshadowing of his courage to come in Mordor. <P>Without this moment, we lose the character development: Frodo becomes somehow "innately heroic" instead learning to chose the harder, braver course in cutting off the barrow-wight's hand <I>(all due apologies to his namesake on this site, hope the hand's feeling better?)</I>. <P>I think people who protest the removal of Tom Bombadil sense the importance of that section without really seeing why. We love Tom, but a major turning point in the central character is what will pose the problem. Er.. should Tom be removed that is. Ahem.<P>-Maril<p>[ December 11, 2001: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 12-12-2001, 09:26 PM   #3
Zippo
Animated Skeleton

Zippo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Zippo
Pipe

Well thanks but i really hope he's on there... I mean he may seem a little "odd" but most people have read the books any way so they will understand if he looks stupid.
Old 12-12-2001, 11:38 PM   #4
Meriadoc1961
Wight

Meriadoc1961 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Maril,<P>You made some very excellent points and observations, especially about how the experience in the barrow influenced the direction of Frodo's character.<P>I, too, was disappointed that Tom Bombadil was going to be left out of the movie, but upon further consideration I can see why a director would choose to leave him out, as well as replacing Glofindel and the efforts he put forth to rescue Frodo from the black riders at the Ford of Bruinen with Arwen in the movie. There is just not enough time, even in a trilogy movie, to incorporate and use all the characters which appear in the book. Also, budget constraints have to be dealt with, and not having to pay for a new actor is an effective cost-cutting measure.<P>I have seen some trailers and documentaries on the making of the movie, and I have been quite impressed. Although I wish it could have been 100% exactly like the books, I believe I will not be disappointed. The making of the Shire and the attention to detail is remarkable. I know it sounds a bit elitist, but I guess people such as you and I who have read the books and know these characters as well as we do can sit back with a smile on our faces as we see Arwen confronting the riders, realizing that in actuality the great Elf Lord Glorfindel performed this task.