The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-05-2001, 02:18 PM   #1
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Tolkien New Fan Fiction

Gilthalion has added a new chapter to his Hobbits saga.

The latest installment of Tales from Tol Eressëa, Conversations in Avallónë Part III, Midsummer's Morn, has been posted.

These and other works of fiction by the Barrow Downs community can be found here Fan Fiction

Please support our authors and check them out. Feedback and critiques can be posted here and are appreciated.
Old 10-06-2001, 08:18 AM   #2
Princess Of DolAmroth

Sting

I loved the Tol Eressëa series, but I was quite put off by the ending of the fourth installment: the "The End" part, that is. Is it really all finished? Or do you have another one potentially in the works? *pleading puppy dog eyes* S'il vous plait, say you do!
Old 10-07-2001, 04:30 PM   #3
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Welcome to the BarrowDowns Forums, Lillian! The "End" at the conclusion of "Midsummer's Morn" signifies only that the "Converations in Avallónë" series is now done. I would say more but it would possibly be a spoiler for persons who are yet to read it.

Midsummer's Morn is not, however, the end of Tales from Tol Eressea. If there is a theme to Tales, it is faithful to a letter JRRT once wrote wherein he says that he intentionally gave references to events without providing detail in order to create a sense of "history". As to the details, he said that he left that to others. So I have sought out subjects where little detail was given and have tried to expand on what JRRT wrote while (hopefully) remaining faithful to both information which was provided as well as his style. The only other restriction is that the story must be one which could be told to Ælfwine in Tol Eressea.

Thus the first Tales relates the fates of Bilbo, Frodo and Sam in the West; the second speaks of Cirdan and Cuivienen; and the third and fourth tell of the suffering of Maglor. And throughout, I try to interject little gems of philosophy, history and other information found in HoME or Letters but nowhere else.

After rambling on, to provide a short answer, I am presently attempting to decide my next subjects for Tales. One intrigues me and I am trying to work through an outline (I have previously started, then disgarded work because either there is insufficient info in JRRT's works or what is present is too contradictory). I am also open to suggestions for topics subject to the "rules" provided above.

Taking your comments as favorable, I thank you.

[ October 07, 2001: Message edited by: Mithadan ]
Old 10-07-2001, 10:38 PM   #4
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hi I read the Tales of Avallone series too. Excellent writing, I can hardly wait for more to be posted! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
It's the best fan fiction I've ever read. Are you a proffessional writer?
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 11:31 AM   #5
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Silmaril

Welcome to the BarrowDowns Elrian! Thanks for your kind words. Am I a professional writer? In a manner of speaking. I am an attorney and my fortunes rise (and occaisionally fall) by the written and spoken word. I am not a professional writer of fiction (other than in my dreams). However, if we have any literary agents out there... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2001, 03:58 PM   #6
Princess Of DolAmroth

Sting

Don't worry. My comments were meant to be positive! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I'm glad to learn more installments are in the works!

As for suggestions, how about a story about Finrod (my favorite!) and Amarië? Or, better yet, Finrod's brother Aegnor and Andreth. The story of the latter two would be very interesting, and Tolkien (as usual) left plenty of room for expansion on their story. But I'm sure whatever storyline you put together will be wonderful!
Old 10-10-2001, 02:53 PM   #7
Theodred21
Phantom Rider

Theodred21 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Theodred21
Sting

Yay! I just read it Mith, spectacular. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
The old that is strong does not whither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken:
The crownless again shall be king.

-The Riddle of Strider
Theodred21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2001, 08:27 PM   #8
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Have you ever submitted any stories to a publisher? They really are good. Wasn't Terry Brooks a lawyer too, or was it David Eddings? I'll bet your one of the best in that field too. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2001, 10:45 PM   #9
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Orald has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orald Send a message via Yahoo to Orald
Sting

I am reminded of the time I mistook Mith's fan fic for actual Tolkien. But I caught myself before I posted something about HoME that was really Mith's. Do you remember me telling you about that one Mithadan?
Orald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2001, 10:49 PM   #10
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Orald has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orald Send a message via Yahoo to Orald
Sting

My lord, someone has rated me, and to my dismay it is less than perfect. Humf [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Orald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2001, 08:27 AM   #11
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I vote we run a campaign to have Mithadan officially added to the canon. What an awesome new installment. As with everyone else, I cannot wait for the next. But unfortunately I don't have a suggestion for your future writings. You go much deeper into the mythos than I ever have. I've dedicated most of my studies to LotR, Sil and Hobbit, and still have never gotten very deep into the HoME. Perhaps someday I shall.

Sorry for your less than perfect rating, Durelen (It wasn't me, btw. I swear!) But a 4 out of 5 isn't bad at all. So cheer up [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2001, 11:52 AM   #12
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Tolkien

Nooooo, don't feed me to the Canon people! If I want to be analysed I'll hire a psychiatrist. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Seriously, I'm somewhat overwhelmed and thank you all. Yes, Durelen, I do recall you asking where I got the "Tolkien text". High praise indeed!