Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2006, 10:27 PM   #81
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
How about . . .
Quote:
GARWINE: *silent for a few moments* "Well, you could be right. He does know our language well enough and rode here upon a horse. But . . . still, he's a Dunlending. I still don't trust him." *more silence*
Old 02-23-2006, 09:43 PM   #82
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm kind of waiting for Feanor to write a post to follow up the Saeryn/Eodwine dialogue. If I can put some ideas together, I'll go ahead and post, and Feanor, just ask Pio to put your response wherever it fits best, okay?
Old 02-24-2006, 12:14 AM   #83
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Oh! Good to know... I can't guarantee posting time for a few days, but Saeryn will be suitably reacted by the time I'm done.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:37 AM   #84
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
When I thought I had no posting time, I forgot to take into account that I'm nocturnal and it's still early. Saeryn's reacted and waiting for Eodwine to break the news that he's going to keep her safe by shipping her out. She's so silly.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:10 AM   #85
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I for one don't see why Marenil can't have a rather prolonged visit. While Bethberry was innkeeper at the old white horse, I happen to have had a goodly four regular characters, two of them by sheer accident, but they ended up being part of the life of the party. So Jenny, don't feel like you have to get rid of Marenil; there's too much good writing to do for him.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:22 AM   #86
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Oh goody!

I intended to get rid of him, but then I liked him so much after I started writing with him...hmm...must come up with reason for him to stay around...

The immediate and obvious thing to do is give him a heart attack, but that doesn't seem very kind to the poor man.

Accepting ideas...
Old 02-24-2006, 10:32 AM   #87
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Does he have any building experience?
Old 02-24-2006, 10:59 AM   #88
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
I think he's been more of a supervisor. He's a long-time, loved, trusted servant of the family, and while I'm sure he'd never hesitate to do manual labor, he's been working perhaps as the family's steward. He's probably managed contractors, but his skills lie in other areas.

EDIT: The challenge of keeping him around, of course, is that his reason must be something that pre-empts his duties to his Lord. A heart attack may well be the best thing, as no one would begrudge such a loyal and well-loved member of the household the time to recover, especially since Lin is there to keep the family posted. Then I could slowly, by letters from home, free him of his duties.

Last edited by JennyHallu; 02-24-2006 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:05 PM   #89
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

You could have Lin get into a pinch that only Marinel can understand how to deal with; it might be interesting to have Thornden have a run for his money in terms of stewarding ability. Or Marinel could give Thornden pointers on that. I'm thinking that at some point in the not so distant future, Eodwine will find it necessary to divide the responsibilities of almbudsman and steward between two individuals, and Thornden seems like a natural for the almbudsman job, which leaves a nice little opening for Marinel......
Old 02-24-2006, 01:13 PM   #90
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

I'm not sure if he'll really look for a new job, yet, or cheerfully enjoy his retirement. He will want to stay where Lin is, and her 'visit' is likely to become quite stretched out. Actually, I've been thinking about this one all afternoon, and I think a heart attack is how I'm going to play it, and then see where it goes as he recovers and becomes a sort of wise grandfather figure for the whole bunch. The almbudsman isn't likely to need a lot of extra help for a while though, and that way he can perhaps slip into stewardship sideways, so that he's been really doing a lot of the job for a while before it's ever made official, just because he's bored of being a bedridden old man and "that young Thornden", and the "good young Lord Eodwine" need help.

Lin knows him well enough to nudge him in that direction, especially after her father releases him from his service. How's that sound?
Old 02-24-2006, 01:15 PM   #91
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Sounds great!

The "good young" Lord Eodwine is 40 years old.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:20 PM   #92
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Of course he is! But you must respect your elders...and calling full-grown adults "lad" is a bit of a weakness of Mar's. He does it to women, too, but they take it a lot better than men do. Women like being thought youthful. I wish I'd been around longer though, so many of the characters in the Hall are long-established, and I'm meeting them for the first time. Must remember to throw some PMs around perhaps as I interact with people for the first time.

Any chance you could post a summary of character names and their jobs?
Old 02-24-2006, 04:35 PM   #93
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Currently Active Characters

Writer.........Character............Role

Elempi.......................Eodwine of the Gap, age 41......Host of Eorling Mead Hall, Lord of Middle Emnet, former Messenger of the King of Rohan (yes, quite a promotion!)

Elempi.......................Master Falco Boffin, age 53.......Halfling originally from Michel Delving, shirriff on extended vacation

Elempi.......................Garreth and Harreld Smith, age 35....well, they're smiths, big burly twins in their mid thirties, looking for wives. Garreth is the loudmouth, Harreld the thinker - they show up for supper every day.

Elempi.......................Rowenna, age 22 ... former captive of outlaws; guest at EMH.

Folwren......Thornden, age 25........steward; former King's Guard. Check out post #8 for a more thorough intro.

Folwren......Javan, age 11.....younger brother of Thornden; helping Léofric the ostler.

Kath ..... Kara, age 18 ..... apprentice cook; if and when she proves herself adequate, she will replace Frodides.

Kath....Frodides, age 50-something.......senior cook; not ready to retire yet, teaching Kara all she knows.

Firefoot ..... Léofric, age 16 .... ostler. Check out post #13 for his background.

Taralphiel..... Lys ... poor and unwell boy looking for refuge.

Nogrod ...... Stigend, age unknown .... an Eorling journeyman carpenter, whose wife is Modtryth, and son, Cnebba

Thinlómien ..... Modtryth, age unknown .... an Eorling woman born to Eorling master and Dunlending slavewoman, wife of Stigend and mother of Cnebba

Nogrod & Thinlómien .... Cnebba, age 10 .... 'blended' child, son of Stigend and Modtryth

Lhunardawen ..... Ginna, age 23 .... only daughter of small lord & landholder in the Middle Emnet, named Randvér, placed under the care and safekeeping of Eodwine; serving wench.

Nerindel.......Ćđelhild..... another teenage girl, apparently a runaway, currently apprenticing in the healing arts at Meduseld.

Characters carried by any writer by permission of their creator

Celuien......Garstan, age 35..... stoneshaper (mason); itinerant sort, looking for a place to use his craft

Celuien .... Garmund, age 9 .... Garstan's son

Celuien .... Lčođern, age 5 .... Garstan's daughter

Currently Inactive Characters

Formendacil ...... Nain, age 53 ..... a Dwarvish sculptor from Erebor, and good will ambassador of Dain Ironhand to Rohan.

Mithalwen ....... Elfthain Theodmundsson, age 12 .... from Upbourn staying in Edoras with cousins.

Ealasaide........ Elián, fugitive smuggler, age __ ..... from Belfalas in Gondor.

Hama of the Riddermark ..... Hama, thain (general) of the West Emnet, recently escaped from captivity.

Feanor of the Peredhil....Saeryn of the Folde, age 18.....Hostess..... of the nobility, has run from home so as not to be married off by her older brother.

Feanor of the Peredhil..... Degas of the Folde, age 18..... Saeryn's belovčd twin; whereabouts currently unknown; a rather mysterious figure.

JennyHallu ..... Linduial .... guest, princess from Belfalas, spirited but not so wise; however, willing to learn.

JennyHallu.....Marenil .... steward to the household of Linduial's father, the girl's guardian.

Laiudanama .... Trystan, age 16 .... fugitive from some heinous crime that he may or may not be guilty of.

Undomé...... a whole cast of characters
who are freeholders a 2 days ride southwest from Edoras, within the bounds of the Middle Emnet.

Anguirel .... Manawyth of Dunland, early 30's .... hopeful employee, trying out for bard apparently, though willing to be a guard.

Alcarillo.......Gárwine son of Gárulf......man at arms; read post
#6 for more about him.

Esgallhugwin......Gudryn, age 15...........former waif on the run, has become Eodwine's foster-daughter.

Lalwendë......Larswic..... Freeholder and horsebreeder within the newly created Middle Emnet; an opportunistic individual, ready to make a profit through gaming and other unnamed means.

Lalwendë....Leocsley..... Larswic's sister son - cunning at bow and arrow.

Lalwendë..... Wultheof..... Larswic's son - ambitious, his goal to be as good as his father at everything he does.

Orual ..... a character to be named and described......

R.I.P.
(Characters who have passed on...)

Elempi.....................Lefun and Ritun, simple twins of indeterminate age (30s?), having one set of legs between them, often feared as two-headed monsters.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 12-31-2007 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:25 PM   #94
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
White-Hand

If there is some Hawthorn at hand Ćňelhild may be able to help Marenil, perhaps Saeryn will recall her having mentioned that she had been required to help in the halls of healing during the war, but as she is outside at the moment and unaware of the events within I shall need for someone to fetch her.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:44 PM   #95
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Not a problem. Saeryn can send Kara to find her.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:46 PM   #96
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Another Character

Feanor of the Peredhil..... Degas of the Folde..... Saeryn's belovčd twin; whereabouts currently unknown; a rather mysterious figure.

I add him to the list because he'll be returning, if not immediately, and I thought it unfair to spring someone from the Horse thread on all of our lovely new writers without warning.

Nerendil, is there any specific place that Saeryn should find Ćoel?
Old 02-26-2006, 05:01 PM   #97
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I've added Degas to my comprehensive character post. Thanks for the reminder, Fea.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:06 PM   #98
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Quote:
Nerendil, is there any specific place that Saeryn should find Ćoel?
I have just put up a post I was working on changing the ending a little, Ćoel is now walking towards Saeryn, I hope that works for you!
Old 02-28-2006, 09:50 AM   #99
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I'd like to move the time along to supper time pretty soon. Some options in that regard are that we don't need to get into an overblown description of all the healer's doings, and can pick the story up with Marinel abed and weak but past the crisis.

Nerindel, what does Adhel intend to do? And is it Ađelhild, or Aňeldhild? I thought it was Ađelhild but is that wrong? The difference for those to whom this looks like Greek, is alt/0240 versus alt/0242. In terms of pronunciation, the first is Adh - as in 'that', and the second is virtually Aewelhild, only the 'w' is pronounced with the lips in the 'y' position. It might seem hard but Germans talk this way all the time.

Anyway! .... is there anything anybody wants their characters to wrap up before we move this to suppertime?
Old 02-28-2006, 09:54 AM   #100
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
It might seem hard but Germans talk this way all the time.
Are Germans prone to lip and tongue injuries? Gah! That's difficult! Please be the first one, I can say that!

And moving the time forward sounds great. We're stuck in a bit of a rut where we are, so go ahead!
Old 02-28-2006, 09:59 AM   #101
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyHallu
Are Germans prone to lip and tongue injuries? Gah! That's difficult! Please be the first one, I can say that!
Not really as difficult as it seems for English speakers. Just form your lips for kissing and then pronounce "ee" through the gap.

I'll wait for a few more responses before I move the time.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:09 AM   #102
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Before we move on, I'd better get Manawyth to start his performance proper. Sorry about my negligence up till now...
Old 02-28-2006, 10:37 AM   #103
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I was going to write a post, but I think I'll wait until the time jump. Just wanted to say I was ready for it.

-- Folwren
Old 02-28-2006, 12:23 PM   #104
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Time change works for me.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:37 PM   #105
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

LMP
Quote:
Sounds great!

The "good young" Lord Eodwine is 40 years old
Forty isn't old if you're a tree!
Old 02-28-2006, 02:41 PM   #106
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esgallhugwen
Forty isn't old if you're a tree!
Question for the day: Do I wish I was a tree?
Old 02-28-2006, 02:42 PM   #107
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
*Great surprise*

You AREN'T a tree??

Why didn't you TELL me?
Old 02-28-2006, 09:23 PM   #108
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Leaf

Quote:
Nerindel, what does Adhel intend to do?
Well quite simply she plans to administer a Hawthorn tonic, though I have given it it's gemanic name (Hagehorn) in my post. Hawthorn was an extremely valuable medicinal herb and was used widely in anglo-saxon medicine to treat a number of ailments, not least of all feelings of congestion and oppression in the hearth region Basically it is a Cardiotonic, that will increase the blood flow to the heart. It also goes by several names including Mayblossom, Whitethorn, Hagthorn and Ladies meat, but to name a few.

I know Bethberry tended Saeryns injury in the White Horse, but I don't know if she kept a store of medicinal supplies in the inn, that is why I left my post open, hoping either Saeryn or Eodwine would know the answer. She will need either a ready made tonic or the berries of the hawthorn bush itself, either fresh or dried which she will crush and add to water to make the tonic.

Quote:
And is it Ađelhild, or Aňeldhild? I thought it was Ađelhild but is that wrong?
Yes it is Ćđelhild. so no worries about anyone developing lip and tongue injuries trying to pronunce it!
Old 02-28-2006, 09:54 PM   #109
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I have no idea. I don't remember if Innkeeper Beth ever said where her stash was.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:51 AM   #110
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerindel
Yes it is Ćđelhild. so no worries about anyone developing lip and tongue injuries trying to pronunce it!
Yay!

I'll have a post up later today...plan to actually (*gasp*) work for a little while before I start goofing off. Need some sort of after-the-adrenaline-rush reaction post from Lin.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:38 AM   #111
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
I have no idea. I don't remember if Innkeeper Beth ever said where her stash was.

Bethberry left to ply her trade as healer in the far East and so she would have taken with her the various herbal remedies which she had prepared--at least those that would keep. She did leave some of her goods and herbs with Ruthven, to ease the old woman's infirmities. But it's not like Ruthven can run likkety-split to help on the spot. And she isn't a healer.

Women's folk medicine was an art learnt by apprenticeship. Maybe you'll just have to wing it? Or would Edoras have a midwife who could be called upon? Hmm. One Trotula, Dame Trot, the midwife, called upon because the barber-surgeon is out of town?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp
I never thought to hear you in such a D.H. Lawrence mood. Lawrence of course one wrote: "I would like to be a tree for a while."

Last edited by Bęthberry; 03-01-2006 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:03 PM   #112
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Quote:
Bethberry left to ply her trade as healer in the far East and so she would have taken with her the various herbal remedies which she had prepared--at least those that would keep. She did leave some of her goods and herbs with Ruthven, to ease the old woman's infirmities. But it's not like Ruthven can run likkety-split to help on the spot. And she isn't a healer.

eek, then let us hope the healer comes presantly!!! then Ćđelhild can fall naturally into the roll of aiding him

Edit: oh ignore me lol very nicely done Jenny

Last edited by Nerindel; 03-01-2006 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:50 PM   #113
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Oh, oh, oh! LMP, would you mind if I squeezed a post between here and your time jump? If you get around to writing the time jump before I put in my post, that's fine. . .

Also, wouldn't we have moved Jenny's older gentlemen to another room? Can I put that into my post as well?

-- Folwren
Old 03-01-2006, 01:04 PM   #114
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

I kind of assumed Marenil would not be moved until a healer from Meduseld said it was all right to move him...i.e. after the crisis is passed and he is sleeping naturally. Then, he would be put somewhere where he would not be disturbed, and Lin could be persuaded to leave him to rest.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:12 PM   #115
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Hm. Perhaps so. I guess that makes sense. I'll work with it as such.

--Folwren
Old 03-01-2006, 03:07 PM   #116
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Sorry for not posting here or on the main thread last night; RL ... which will happen tonight too. Anyway:

Nice work with the Hawthorn tonic, Nerindel!

I see that you've all decided the healer from Meduseld is not a medieval quack who goes on about the four humours and all that. (snicker)

I would have stated the same thing that Bethberry said.

Glad you squeezed a post in, Folwren.

Nice writing, Jenny! I like the development of Lin's and Marinel's history. Very visual.

Kath: What are you doing to my kitchen!?!? It's going to be a mess by the end of one month at this rate! (not unlike the rest of the place)

I'll try to get something written by the end of tonight. If you want to post in between now and then, feel free. Oh, and if you do, don't forget about our late-breakfast consuming hobbit, Falco Boffin! Surely he would have something to say about all this hubbub....
Old 03-01-2006, 03:10 PM   #117
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Quote:
Kath: What are you doing to my kitchen!?!? It's going to be a mess by the end of one month at this rate! (not unlike the rest of the place)
Don't panic, I'm sure Frodides will have Kara clearing up before too long
Old 03-01-2006, 09:15 PM   #118
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

lmp: you know that Marenil is not Lin's father, right? Something of a father figure, mayhap, but no relation.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:33 AM   #119
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyHallu
lmp: you know that Marenil is not Lin's father, right? Something of a father figure, mayhap, but no relation.
Yes. Did I err in writing something somewhere?
Old 03-02-2006, 10:42 AM   #120
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Yes, Eodwine mentioned her and called her the daughter, or something. But it sounded more like an assumption. . .it could have been Eodwine's mess up, conceivably, and although you know the difference, he might not. But you'll want to straighten it out later with Lin or something.

-- Folwren