Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2002, 08:42 AM   #1
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting The Lonely Star -- Chapter 4

OOC - As the last thread has reached its limit, I'm opening this one so that we may continue.

--------------------

Mithadan sought out Khelek and apologized for his display of temper. Khelek graciously set the matter to rest, noting that Mithadan was not the only one affected by the stress of their long journey. The Man then looked for Rose, finding her in the common room chatting excitedly with Cami about Levanto's findings.

"Rose," he said. "May I speak with you for a moment?" She nodded and they walked together to another table.

"I am sorry that I snapped at you," he began. "We have all worked hard and have our worries and concerns. I should not have allowed my distractions to spill out upon you. It will not happen again. I promise." He smiled and stood. Then, to the Hobbit's surprise, he smiled and gave her a quick hug. "Whatever comes, I'm sure we will all be alright," he said. Then he turned and walked to the door.

[ September 17, 2002: Message edited by: Mithadan ]
Old 09-17-2002, 06:20 PM   #2
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Post by Piosenniel:

They had been sitting companionably on the deck. Pio was telling her the story of the Butterfly, Wilwarin, and pointing out its pattern in the night sky, when she felt the young hobbit's head heavy on her thigh, and the soft sounds of one who has drifted into dreams.
The elf laughed softly. 'What a story-teller, I am! I have put you to sleep!' She moved Daisy into a more comfortable position on her leg and covered her with her cloak.

Her gaze drifted up to the Silver Sickle, and she smiled, recalling the story of how Aulë had broken the silver sickle he was making, wroth with anger against Melkor for the lies he had spoken concerning the Lady Palúrien. Seven sparks had leapt up toward the heavens, and caught by Varda, they had been placed in the night sky as a sign of Palúrien's honor. Now she watched them move in their slow pattern around the pole.

Her mind turned to other matters. Cami had been pleased to hear of the Levanto's meeting with the hobbits. 'I hope tomorrow's meeting with them goes as smoothly.' she thought to herself. Her meeting with Mithadan to discuss what the mer-man had found out had also gone well. He seemed in a lighter mood and she was glad of it.

She stretched her mind out gently, touching on those aboard the Star. All seemed well.
Old 09-17-2002, 06:25 PM   #3
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

In the hall outside the common room, Mithadan took a deep breath. He had spoken to both Rose and Khelek and they had accepted his apologies. Now all that remained
was to speak with Piosenniel. Then he could get on with the task at hand.
He stopped at the gangway down to the crews' quarters and looked down the stairs to the deck below. He set his foot on the first step, then paused. Shaking his head, he turned and made his way back up to the main
deck. He took a deep breath of the night air, and looked up at the stars glowing gently above. Then he realised he was not alone. He stepped quietly toward the figure sitting by the rail.

"Mithadan," said Piosenniel in a soft voice without turning. "You should take lessons from our Hobbit friends. You walk as loudly as a horse on cobblestones."

He laughed, then silenced himself when he saw the sleeping Daisy resting at Piosenniel's side. "I did not see you here," he whispered. "I did not mean to interrupt."

She carefully lifted the sleeping Hobbit from her lap and stood, stretching a bit as she rose. The two moved from the tired Halfling and leaned on the rail a few feet away.

"Levanto is on his way back to the caverns," she said. "We will know the usual number of the guards and where they patrol tomorrow. Then we will be able to plan our
approach."

"Yes," he replied. "And if I do not drive the others to distraction, we can begin working together towards the rescue of the Hobbits. I am sorry about my behavior earlier. It was uncalled for."

"You are troubled by something and it is not just our proximity to Numenor," Pio replied, turning towards the Man. It was not a question.

Mithadan sighed heavily. "I am troubled by many things," he reponded. "Before he left, Levanto told me to make sure you are safe this time."

Piosenniel laughed. "I am quite capable of taking care of myself. Levanto should know that!"

Mithadan closed his eyes for a moment. "That's what I thought...in Gondolin."

"That Piosenniel was rash and impulsive," she
retorted. "She would have leaped into a pit full of snakes if there was a profit to be made. I have grown a bit since then." She looked at the Man with a sad smile. "I am not that Elf now. The Halls of Mandos
teach patience and wisdom, if one will learn
them...though Tule seemed to have forgotten those lessons."

"Why did you take the guise of Tule?" asked Mithadan. "To avoid inflicting the further sorrow of good-byes upon us?"

She leaned back against the rail and looked out upon the endless motion of the seas. Under the stars the waves seemed to sparkle like a faceted gem. "And upon myself. We Elves bear enough sorrow upon our brows. I
thought to avoid more. But I was wrong. By playing the part of Tule, I avoided that which was most important; the love of my friends."

They stood silently together for a long time. Behind them, Daisy stirred and rolled over. The stars burned ever on overhead and the waves lapped gently against the ship; a gentle but restless rhythm. At length,
Mithadan stirred and turned towards Piosenniel. With a slight smile he reached out and touched her curly hair. "This will, I trust, grow out?" he said. "It is the last remaining vestige of Tule."

"You would have him gone entirely then?" Piosenniel answered. "You would have only Piosenniel remain?"

"I would," he responded. "I would have only
Piosenniel." And with that, he pulled her close and kissed her. From behind them, unnoticed and unheard, there came a quiet gasp from Daisy.
Old 09-17-2002, 06:26 PM   #4
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Post by Rose:

Rose's heart was lightened with Birdie's word's, Mith's appology and Levanto's news. She felt like the crew was back together and her old optimism was back.
She had her first restfull sleep in days and as morning came she went to spend time with Blossom, Bubbles, and Buttercup.
Old 09-17-2002, 06:27 PM   #5
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Post by Great Warg:

Khelek took a deep draught of air, letting the coolness of the dawn comfort him. Passing near where the sea cows were kept, he smiled to see Rose dangling pieces of seaweed and kelp to the three cows. The wayward Moon was still in the heavens, drawn to the Sun. Westward, the sky slowly illuminated. Stars diminished in the fiery gaze of the Sun. Westward, a single, shining star could be seen, sailing away to port: Eärendil.

The dark mood had seemingly passed away over the crew, leaving only a memory of tempers and anxiousness. If all fared well, they would be tending to sick hobbits within a day or two. If not... the Elf did not want to think about that. How many things can possibly go wrong in one quest? Too many possibilities.

"Perhaps I should copy down a few more songs? After all, there are many that will be appropriate to sing and teach, though I daresay Cami and Kali would be better at hobbrim songs!" the Elf mused to himself.

[ September 17, 2002: Message edited by: Mithadan ]
Old 09-17-2002, 06:28 PM   #6
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Pio stepped back from the circle of Mithadan's arms, and regarded him gravely. She brushed a stray lock of silvered hair from his face. Her fingers gently traced the curve of his jawline, coming to rest on the lips that had claimed her own. The sea pooled in the deep grey of his eyes as he held her in his gaze.

Moonlight and starlight shone upon him. Then did he appear to her more than any other Man, but rather as one who has come from the West, an Elf-lord come over the Sea. She smiled, and pushed that image from her mind. 'Nay! Naught but a man. It is Mithadan who stands before me.'

She reached softly for his mind. 'He loves me!' she thought in wonderment.

He held his hands out to her, and she placed her own within.

'Indeed, have I claimed your lips, Piosenniel!' he said, smiling gently at her.
Now shall I claim your heart?

Now by those words was her choice made and her doom appointed.

Mithadan! She stepped back into the circle of his arms, and he claimed her.

Daisy now stood as still as a stone, watching the Man and Elf who stood before her. She could barely breathe for the beauty of it.

She took a deep breath and pulled her wits together. 'I have to tell someone!' she thought to herself. She ran downstairs, and found Cami and Rose sitting in the galley, having tea. She was so excited and her thoughts so jumbled that she couldn't think what to say when she stood before them.

'Sit down, Daisy!' came the firm voice of Cami. Daisy plopped down in a chair, fidgeting. 'Now slowly, one thing at a time.' said Cami, looking over the rim of her mug. 'What has got you so excited?'

Daisy's face turned red with the thought of what she'd seen. She blurted it out. 'It's Mithadan! He's up there kissing Lady Pio!' She took a big gulp of air and then went on. 'And she's kissed him back!'

[ September 18, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 09-17-2002, 06:37 PM   #7
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Cami shook her head and laughed. She was scarcely surprised, but the two hobbit girls had eyes as big as tea saucers from back home in the Shire. Their tongues were wagging in a rapid beat.

It appeared she would have to be a stern dame teacher twice in a single day. "Rose Goodchild, and Daisy Greenhand! You will keep your eyes where they belong, and your tongues in your mouths. If and when Piosenniel or Mithadan have any news to share with us, they will let us know. Meanwhile, you will respect their privacy."
Then she sent them off to bed. She could still hear their giggling and whispering all the way down the corridor.

Cami shook her head and laughed and was about to turn in for the night, when a large puff of smoke came wafting through the crack underneath her door. This could only mean one thing. She went over and pushed the door open, to be faced with Angara's smoke rings. The dragon had been in such a rush that she hadn't even bothered to shrink to appropriate size. She filled the entire corridor, and could barely squeeze into Cami's cabin.

She looked accusingly at the hobbit, "I suppose you've heard." Her golden/green, glittering eyes rolled backwards and upside down all at once. "What do you know of this?"

"No more than you and probably less, since you spend most of your day staring down at us from your perch high up on the mast! People have the right to friendships. Let them be."

"Humph!" Angara snorted. "That seemed a bit close for 'friendship'."

"Well," retorted the hobbit in defense of the pair, "There are different kinds of friendships."

"What twaddle, Camelia Goodchild. Are you going to stand by and let this happen?" Another large smoke ring ascended to Cami's ceiling, and she began to cough.

"Well, what do you propose I do? People have their private lives to live, and I'm certainly not about to stop them. Anyways, if what everyone is saying is true, I'm quite happy for them!" The dragon looked at her with a pained face and snorted, sending smoke over the entire cabin.

As Anagara gave a final "humph" and huffed out of the room, Cami sat down on her bed. One part of her wanted to laugh, and the other to cry. Her eyes stung from all the smoke, or at least that's what she thought it might be. The hobbit had a vivid image of those final nights in the camp when she and Maura had snuck off to get a bit of privacy. At least they had the surrounding forest where walks could be taken. Although once or twice, she could have sworn she'd heard some Snowhobbit giggling not very far behind.

Poor Pio. On a tiny ship, in the middle of the seas, there were no forests to go wandering about in. A small ship was a small ship with many large ears.

Cami decided to speak with Pio the next day about the sea hobbrim rescue. Kali and Bird had already worked out the details, and they had all hoped to leave the next afternoon. The distance to the caves was not far and, barring unexpected complications, the whole rescue shouldn't involve more than a few hours. Perhaps, during their conversation, Cami could raise some other concerns as well.

[ September 18, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-17-2002, 11:39 PM   #8
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Silmaril

Lovely smile in moonlight beaming
Shining hair in starlight gleaming
Darling Pio, Bright Pio,
Lovely Piosenniel.

Song and dance the heart enchanting
Ancient wisdom understanding
Thoughtful Pio, Wise Pio,
Noble Piosenniel.
Old 09-17-2002, 11:42 PM   #9
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Birdie was walking past the galley, on her way to feed the sea-cows, when she heard:

"It's Mithadan! He's up there kissing Lady Pio! And she's kissed him back!"

Bird stopped short, and edged back down the passageway. So it had happened. Of all the strange changes that had come over Pio since she had accomplished her 'resurrection', this was the one that convinced the changeling that her old companion, her friend that had shared so many adventures, and taught Bird so many things, would never return. Pio had found love at last.

Birdie was happy for her old friend. She had known love once. Given herself to one strange, laughing man who had seemed to want nothing but what the skin-changer could offer in her "human" form. It had not lasted, but what love of Man did? Perhaps the Elf-Kind had all of eternity to work through the "rough patches", but humans only had a few short decades to forgive betrayal and loss of trust. It was not enough.

The Halflings, even those on board the Star, would too soon be making their choices. Pio and Mithadan would find another road together, one that would not include a small, shape-shifting creature. In her heart, Birdie said good-bye to her laughing, reckless friend, and wished her happiness until the end of her days.

She found Ancalimon up on the crow's nest of the 'Star'. It was a place where everyone on the crew retreated at one time or another.

Bird morphed into her jackdaw form and flew up to the battered cup at the top of the mast. It really could use a coat of paint, she noted.

Ancalimon stood with his staff, leaning out over the low rail of the crow's nest as he gazed at endless stars of Arda. The small black and white crow perched beside him and gazed upward as well.

"Hello, Birdland." said the wizard, not taking his gaze from the black, glowing sky.

"Hello, Gandalf...Gandalf? The Hobbrims you spoke of in your tale...the ones who were commanded to wait in case they were needed?...Where are they?"
Old 09-18-2002, 01:36 AM   #10
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

He moved quickly through the waters this time, the path was now familiar. Levanto turned east just before he reached the mouths of the Siril and swam close along the shore of the southeastern peninsula.

There were numerous caves along the edges, their openings just below the waterline. Some of them looked unused, with silt and rock blocking much of the entry way. But there were others whose entrances were cleaner and smoother in appearance. He did not approach these closely, but only marked their position in his mind to tell Pio.

Once done with this task, he returned to the river and entered it, swimming swiftly upstream. It was evening, now, and night would soon be falling.

He stayed deep beneath the waters until he reached the part of the caves where he was to meet the elders. He surfaced then and hid in deep shadow until darkness had come and he heard them moving down the tunnel.

Phura had come with them this time. Levanto smiled and greeted him. 'No, skulking behind rocks today!' he said grinning. Phura ducked his head, a tinge of pink staining his cheeks. Levanto greeted the elders courteously. He pulled himself up onto the rocky bank, settling in comfortably to hear all they had to say.

They had memorized every detail and now repeated it to him. The numbers of guards each day and each shift; how they were armed; where they were positioned; what kind of men they were; who supervised them. They told him of the hobbit schedules - when the work parties left the caves; what they did; how they were guarded. They left nothing out.

When they had finished, he repeated everything they had said back to them, word for word, and then told them he must go back now and deliver the information.

'When will you come for us?' one of the elders asked, just before he entered the water.

'A fortnight, I think.' he said. 'That will give you time to prepare the hobbits. I will come to you in a week's time and let you know what exactly the plan will be. Then the night before we are to come I will come a final time and stay with you until the rescue is complete.' He looked at them, standing there with hope in their eyes. 'There will be fighting, you understand. All the men here will be killed so that none may bring word of your rescue to any ear. You must be brave, all of you. No panic. Just move quickly to us when we come, and we will take you away from here.'

'One last question, please!' came the low voice of Phura. 'How will you take so many of us?'

'The Elves. The Elves from the West will bring their swan-ships, and Piosenniel will lead them. Now I must get back!'

They waved to him as he disappeared beneath the water. Then hurried back down the tunnel, talking softly and excitedly about what he had said.

Levanto swam strongly, making good time. He would be back before first light to the Star.

Old 09-18-2002, 01:57 AM   #11
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Mithadan held her close, until he heard her laughing. 'Do I amuse you, elf?' he asked smiling down at her.

'Not you! Your stomach! It's empty and protests its condition.' She stepped away from him. 'Come let's have something to eat and drink. Day is fully upon us now, and we have much yet to accomplish. Levanto will be back early next morning, and we can start the final planning once we have the information from the elders.'

They walked toward the stairs and started down toward the galley. 'Today,' she remarked, 'I want to find out when Kali and the hobbits are planning to take a skiff out and seek the hobbrim hidden along the coast of Hyarrostar.'

His hand grasped her elbow and stopped her in midstride. His face had an amusedly irritated look on it. 'Plan?! What plan are you talking about?'

'By the One!' she laughed, and blushed. 'You have thoroughly distracted me, Mithadan! Cami asked me to tell you of it. I had forgotten. I can tell you about it over breakfast. I think it might sit better on a full stomach.'

Old 09-18-2002, 06:16 AM   #12
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Cami woke from her sleep in the middle of the night. She was certain there was something they'd forgotten to do. Then she rememberd. The day before, the hobbit had asked Pio to consult with Mithadan about the hobbrim rescue, but somehow she doubted that conversation had ever taken place. At that particular point, Pio had seemed strangely distracted.

Cami had considered speaking with the Man herself, but he'd been in such a foul mood then. She had instead elected to leave the job to the Elf. Tomorrow morning, first thing, she'd better make sure Mithadan knew about their plans.

Cami also hoped to speak with Levanto as soon as he got back. It was those two hobbit brothers who intrigued her. Perhaps Levanto had seen them and found out more about them or their families. When Levanto had spoken of them, what they looked like and how they'd responded to each other, Cami had the strangest sense she'd already met the two.

She slid back under the covers and quickly fell asleep.

[ September 18, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-18-2002, 07:39 AM   #13
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Silmaril

As they approached the galley, they heard the usual cacaphony of chatter and laughter. Mithadan gave Piosenniel's hand a quick squeeze, then let go just before they entered. Rose, Daisy, Kali, Birdland and Veritas turned as one to face the door. The usual noises of breakfast fell suddenly into a deafening silence.

Mithadan smiled gently at his companions, then proceeded to prepare a plate of dried fruits and, to his surprise, bread. He ignored the smoked fish and proceeded to a table, followed by Piosenniel. Behind them came a hurried whisper followed by a giggle.

He stood and faced the West for a moment before sitting. Ignoring the now uncorfortable silence, they began to eat, occaisionally exchanging a quiet word.

Khelek burst through the door with arms spread wide. "Ah! What a glorious morning! The sun shines through a slight mist and has cast a rainbow over us!" He stopped suddenly, becoming aware of the utter silence. "What?" he asked, confused. "Is there some problem?"

Piosenniel could no longer contain herself. Laughter burst from her like a flower first blooming in spring. After a moment, to Khelek's discomfiture, the others joined her.

Above on deck, Ancalimon stood by the helm. Hearing the laughter from below, he smiled. "Indeed, no one can see all ends...."
Old 09-18-2002, 12:44 PM   #14
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Cami sat cross legged on the deck near the helm. She'd brought her breakfast down from the galley.

This wasn't the first morning she'd done this. Quite often, when Ancalimon took the wheel, she'd sit beside him, sometimes silent, at other times chattering away. Cami would ask questions or argue a bit on this or that. What she liked best was when he called her "Nitir" or, if she was being particularly difficult, "Andreth". It was almost as if a piece of her came alive again.

Today, she had one worry tugging at her heart. The hobbits were busy deciding where they hoped to go, or, if they'd already decided, speculating what this change of residence might mean. Mithadan and Piosenniel were wrapped in each other's hearts. Cami hoped they'd hurry along and choose to marry before she had to leave. But what of Bird? Where was she going? And, more importantly, who would she be with?

Cami looked at Ancalimon, "You know it isn't good for people to be alone, especially if they're friends who've stood beside you. In the camps, Bird was the only one visiting there who wasn't a hobbit."

The peddler raised his bushy eyebrows and laughed, "Am I a hobbit then? I was certainly there, as I recall."

"Not quite, but almost. You and Bird are honorary hobbits. You're...." Cami searched for the right word. "You're 'hobbit-friends', just like others are 'elf-friends'. And, if there ever was a 'hobbit friend' on this earth, it's Bird!".

He turned a curious look on her. "Go on."

Cami responded, "Many times, the Star managed to scramble through only because Bird saved us. It wasn't easy for her. There I was, complaining about the lack of hobbit history, when Bird didn't even have a people, let alone a past."

"The lore says that some elf-friends were allowed to journey West to hear sweet tales and linger. So, if Bird is a hobbit-friend, she should be permitted to journey to Meneltarma, the Anduin, or the Fourth Age."

"I know she's sad. I've seen her eyes. So, please, don't forget her."

"Perhaps," said Gandalf softly, "Bird has choices you know nothing of."

"Maybe so," Cami agreed. "But, right now, she doesn't seem to know them either."

Gandalf sighed, "Nitir, I'll promise one thing. I'll speak with Bird after the hobbrim rescue, and see if she'd like to discuss this, and exactly what her choices might be."

Cami leapt to her feet to go hug the tall peddler. She was late for her talk with Mithadan. She said goodbye, and ran off to find the Man. As she departed, Ancalimon called out. "Be careful when you rescue the hobbrim. Keep your weapons near!"

"'Hobbit-friends'"? Ancalimon pondered after Cami had left. "In all of Middle-earth and Aman, I've never heard this term. Yet all who've served on the Star surely qualify. Mithadan, and Birdland, Khelek and Veritas, even Idril and Tuor....I think it might indeed be fair to call these folk special hobbit-friends."

---------------------------------------------

Pio's post:

Cami had come in just as most of the crew were finishing up the last of breakfast. Pio motioned for her to come sit by her.
'I've just filled Mithadan in briefly on what Ancalimon said about the hobbrims along the coast.' she said, pouring her friend a cup of strong tea, and pushing the honey toward her.'I wanted to tell you I've also sent Levanto along that part of the Isle to scout for possible cave sites. You will need to tell Mithadan the finer details of your plan.' She stood to leave them to talk. 'And please,' she whispered as a parting comment to the hobbit, 'convince him that you will be safe and nothing will go wrong!'

Sharon's post:

As the others left the galley, Cami went over to Mithadan. She had come armed with a stack of charts with marks inserted on the coast to show where the caves were hidden. Under her arm was tucked a description of how the rescue would work. Each member of the party was listed along with their duties, the arms they would carry, and diagrams showed how the parties would swim and row back to ship. Kali and Bird would lead the expedition and stay in the water, while she and Daisy and Rose were to man the boats and go onto the shore.

Piosenniel had urged her to be as thorough as possible with her explanation since that was how Men operated. They were generally reassured if you could take a real thing and somehow reduce it to words. Mithadan asked many questions about the lines and squiggles on the map. Cami tried her best to answer.

The man shook his head. "I don't like this. There are too many things we don't know. I wish there was another way. You say this will take less than five hours. Let's at least give ourselves extra time. Start out in the morning, and be back by dinner!" Cami nodded in agreement.

"You're certain this shore is deserted?" She again nodded. "I hope you're right. But why take the two skiffs? It would be safer if Kali and Bird could do this on their own and stay below the water. The hobbrim can swim. We'd draw far less attention."

Then Cami explained how Ancalimon had said the mothers with small babes wouldn't make it any other way. And unless those babies came along, the rest of the hobbrim would refuse to leave.

Mithadan scowled and looked unhappy. "We really have no choice. We can't leave Kali's kin to die on the shore. When we began this voyage, the first thing we promised was to find his family. We can't go back on that."

"But Cami, there are three things you must promise. You must do everything you can to stay hidden, since anyone you meet may be an enemy. If you are seen by any of the King's men or Sauron's spies, they must be killed. Not a single one can be left alive. Your people's survival is at stake. And finally, if you get into serious trouble and need help, have Bird secretly swim or fly back to tell us."

"Tell the others to begin their preparations tonight. And, Cami, good luck to all of you. It will do our hearts good to see some of Kali's kin aboard the Star."

Pio's post:

Pio caught Rose and Daisy before they left and asked them to bring their swords to the main deck, as well as Khelek, who was staring dreamily out the porthole. 'I want you all to practice with your real blades this time. And each of you will have a chance to go a round or two with me.'

She drew her sword and saluted them. 'Come now let's go!'

[ September 19, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-18-2002, 01:50 PM   #15
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Rose tried her sword against Pio first. It only took a few seconds for the elf to knock the blade out of her hand.
Then Daisy tried. She had practiced more and was able to hold her ground longer. But then she too was caught off guard.
Khelek did by far the best. For a long time he was an equall match to Pio. But then Pio pulled a quick move and had Khelek pinned to the rail.

Mithadan who had been watching laughed and walked up to them. "How about I try."
Old 09-18-2002, 02:10 PM   #16
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Gamba wearily looked out from under the three children who had just soundly defeated him in a tickling match as Phura returned from the rendezvous with Levanto. He was too tired and out of breath to ask, almost, but Phura spared him the need.

Phura and Gamba reviewed the details of what the elders and Levanto had discussed.

Phura admired Levanto. "He must have quite a ways to swim, all the way up the river, and then back, and all the way to the ship. He must be strong. And brave. And you were right, in your dream. At the very end, I asked Levanto how they would take all of us away. There is a fleet of elven ships coming. In two weeks."

Gamba laid his head back down as the children, discerning the serious turn, clambered off of him and sat close nearby. Gamba smiled, and then wept, and then smiled again. "The elvish fleet. Elvish ships." And then more sorrow. "Two weeks."

"They'll come. They'll be here. Nitir and Azraph. I-- I mean Azra." Phura blushed suddenly, but in the dark Gamba missed that.

"What did you call her?"

"Sorry."

"What? No, I heard you. You said Azraph. Why did you say that?"

Silence.

"All right, what are you hiding? Who is Azraph?"

"Not-- No. Azra. Her name is Azra."

"Tell me..."

"All right, but you can't tell anyone, " Phura reluctantly agreed.

Gamba rolled up and sat closer, and then turned to the children. "Kesha, take Roka and Asta and go bring dinner. For the five of us. Go on."

They marched off, feeling important.

Phura dropped his voice way down. "You asked me how they tell the aunts from the neices. Well, when an adult Nitir marries, they add her husband's first initial to the end of her name, preceeded by the first vowel in it. So... say, Nitir and Asta; Nitiras. Or Nitir and Kesha: Nitirek. If you say it fast enough, only the people in the family really hear it."

Gamba nodded, and then pondered. "So... Azra. Azraph. Ph-- " His eyes flew open. "You?"

"Shh!!" Phura nervously looked around. "Her sister Nitir Calls her that to tease her. She laughs at her. She calls her that all the time."

Gamba waited, wide-eyed.

"But Nitir's parents don't stop her from saying it, and they smile too. And her brother says she likes it!"

Gamba had to cover his mouth with his hand. They both know that Phura had twelve years before he came of age.

"Don't tell anybody, " Phura pleaded earnestly. "Not even Loremaster."

Well! At last, thought Gamba, I finally know what's been on his mind all this time. No wonder he was nervous and cranky. I don't think Loremaster really had any idea what was actually upsetting him.

[ September 19, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 09-18-2002, 05:42 PM   #17
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Mithadan strapped on his vambrace and unsheathed his sword. He saluted Piosenniel and took a half step back, holding the pommel of his blade with both hands. The tip pointed upward and was canted slightly to the right, pointing at Pio's left ear with an edge facing the Elf.

She bore a shorter sword which she held at a sharper angle, with its tip directed at a point several inches to the left of Mith's shoulder. Taking short, light steps and keeping both feet planted as often as possible, they began to circle one another moving clockwise.

Pio made an exploratory feint which Mith met by simply dropping the point of his blade, directing the Elf's sword away to the side. Then he took a short step back. As Pio followed, he took an angular swipe at her shoulder which she avoided by skittering back herself.

Again and again, their blades clashed as they moved about the deck. She was graceful, her movements almost catlike. He was more powerful and capable of great bursts of speed. They appeared evenly matched. For nearly 4 minutes they fought until the Elf leaped aside, avoiding a slashing cut. She slipped her sword under his and swiped toward his midsection. Pirouetting on one foot, he barely evaded the attack and continued his spin, bringing the flat of his blade across her back. At nearly the same instant, Pio, though a bit off balance, nonetheless landed a hard blow to his shoulder with the flat of her blade.

They stepped back and regarded each other with slight smiles. Piosenniel nodded while he rubbed his shoulder. "Not bad for a mere child," she said.

Mithadan shook his head. "I would have thought that with 6000 years of practice you might have been better," he retorted.

"Nearly 7000 years," she replied with arched eyebrows. "Excuse me," he responded with a chuckle. Then the two turned to speak with the Hobbits about the proper manner to lift a blade.
Old 09-18-2002, 09:34 PM   #18
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

After a while, Mithadan excused himself from further blade practice, saying that he had some matters which now drew his attention.

She watched him walk down the stairs, rubbing his shoulder, and shook her head, smiling. Her own back ached where the flat of his blade had met it. She rubbed it for a moment, and stretched to ease the pain. Her right hand fingered the knives in her belt, and she commented to no one in particular, 'That wouldn't have happened had I used my knives.'

She heard a small gasp behind her. Daisy was looking at her in a strange way, as was Rose. 'You don't mean you should have thrown them at Mithadan, do you?'

Pio laughed and rubbed her back. 'No! you silly hobbits!' Then her face grew more serious. 'But when it comes to Númenor and you are faced with a foeman - take him any way you can. And if you cannot, then run hard back to the ships, or to me.' She looked at both girls, their eyes now grown large, their faces serious. 'Do you understand? Will you promise me that?''

They both nodded 'yes'. She laughed then and gathered them in for a hug.

'Let's stop for now!' she said. We can practice again another day. She sheathed her sword and motioned for them to follow up to the helmdeck.

They each took a cool drink from the barrel there, passing the cup from one to another. She bade them sit at the table there and spread out a large diagram she had made of the River Siril, with twenty ships noted on it.

'I'm noting here which ships will carry the crew of the Star.' she said, indicating the spaces near each drawn ship where she would write in names. Her name and Mithadan's were in the first ship, all the rest were blank at present. 'Where do you think I should put you two?' she asked them. 'Where do you think you would be most effective?'

[ September 19, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 09-19-2002, 11:51 AM   #19
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The experience with their real blades, and the talk that Pio had given them, made them choose cautiously. But being adventurous hobbits, they didn't want to be too far back in the line. They argued back and forth for a few moments, pointing to one ship and then choosing another, and then repeated the process again many times.

Pio waited patiently for them to make their decision, and pencilled a few more names into the empty spaces. Khelek should be in the first boat - quick on his feet, quick thinking, and he handled his blade well.

Angara she wanted at the middle of the line. She had a good mental rapport with her and it would be a quick link once it was time for the transfer. Now who could she put at the rear of the ships? Ancalimon perhaps? She pencilled in his name lightly.

She chewed her bottom lip in thought. Two others left. Cami should go in the boat Rose would choose. She tapped the pencil on the diagram. That meant Rose needed to be in one of the first ships, so that she and Nitir sould be at hand to bring the hobbits on board.

Now what to do about Bird? She tentatively pencilled her into the second boat, not knowing if she would travel by ship or choose to go another way.

'Pio!', came Daisy's voice, breaking her concentration. 'We've made our decision. We want to be in the second boat - behind you.' The elf wrote their names there, as well as Cami's.

'Excellent choice!' she said, grinning at the two satisfied hobbits. 'Especially since I was going to put you there anyway.' she thought to herself.

Old 09-19-2002, 01:05 PM   #20
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Satisfied at her assignments, she pushed the paper from her and sat back, heels resting on the table edge. The plans and preparations were finally coming together. Barring any problems with the upcoming rescue mission by the hobbits, Kali, and Bird, all should proceed on smoothly to the final rescue. She closed her eyes, letting the sun warm her face.

Her heels hit deck with a sharp thud, pushed off their perch with a sudden impact. She opened her eyes to find Angara sitting on the table, her tail lashing in an angry manner, and one claw piercing the place where Pio had written her name.

'And what if I should decline to be on this ship - or any ship for that matter?!' she hissed, challenging the elf.

Pio looked at her calmly. 'Then I shall simply have to work around you, dragon. Though I am loath to lose such a valuable ally by leaving you on the Star. She bent to the diagram and made to rub out the dragon's name.

'Hold! I did not say I would not do it!' said Angara, placing her talon now against the elf's hand. 'I see your ability for negotiations did not improve in the Halls. You are as arrogant as ever in your decision making!'

Pio laughed and nodded her head in agreement. 'Yes, dear dragon. I can still meet arrogance with arrogance as need be! Now tell me, what has really put your tail in such a twist? Surely not something so simple as this?' She tapped her finger on the diagram and waited.

'I don't like how things are going of late. They seem ill-fated.'

'Things? Ill-fated?' asked the elf, her face a mask of innocence. 'The plan is going well. We are far more ready for this venture than for our ill-fated one in Gondolin. What could you possibly be thinking might go wrong this time.'

'It's not the plan, you thick-headed elf! It's you! You've become addle-brained!' The dragon's tail twitched in irritation.

'Me! Addle-brained!' She could not contain her laughter at this characterization. Wiping the tears from her eyes, she inquired, 'Whatever has brought you to this conclusion?'

The dragon put her face close to Pio's. Small wisps of smoke escaped her nostrils, causing the elf to cough and back away. 'An Elf . . . and a Man! It's unnatural! The mer-man was bad enough, but that only seemed a harmless flirtation on your part. What are you thinking?'

Pio brought her face dangerously close to the dragon, her demeanor quite serious now. 'My thoughts are my own on that subject, Old One! I thank you for your concern, my friend. And I hope that in time it may change. For now, though, I will not be swayed by it.' She sat back and eyed Angara levelly.

A moment passed, the dragon put her claw where her name still stood. 'Alright, I have decided I shall be here!' She hopped off the table, heading for the galley, muttering all the while.

'If he does you ill, I shall simply have to put an end to him!' came to the elf's ears quite distinctly.

Pio watched the retreating tail of the dragon as it disappeared down the steps.

'Unfortunately she probably really means that!', she thought to herself, then put it from her mind.
Old 09-19-2002, 01:35 PM   #21
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Mithadan walked along the main deck looking for Cami. His conversation with her had been cut short by the sound of swordplay, but now he wanted to further discuss her plan concerning the Hobbrim. He tripped suddenly and fell heavily to the deck.

He rolled to a sitting position grasping his right ankle in pain. Looking back, he saw what he had tripped upon; Angara sat there with tail extended looking self-satisfied.

"Angara!" he cried. "You have nearly broken my ankle!"

"Be content that I did not break more than that, Man," she replied.

"I see that you again do not call me by name," he responded. "Why would you do such a foolish thing, now of all times?"

"Consider it a warning," growled the wyrm. "Do no harm to Piosenniel, Man."

"I would as soon harm myself," Mithadan said with a grimace.

"She is 6000 years your elder!"

"Nearly 7000," he replied with a slight grin. "What business is this of yours?"

"It is her fate to return to the West," hissed the dragon. "You may not accompany her on that voyage."

"That is her choice," snapped Mithadan. "And she is Half-Elven. She may choose not to pass into the West. She may make the choice of Queen Arwen. She may choose to stay with me and..." He stopped in shock realizing what he had been about to say. A strange look came over his face.

"You are thinking now, Man," said Angara as she turned away.

Mithadan sat for a moment, lost in thought. Then he rose gingerly and proceeded to his cabin to wrap his ankle.

[ September 19, 2002: Message edited by: Mithadan ]
Old 09-19-2002, 02:02 PM   #22
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Khelek and Ancalimon had agreed to their ship assignments. 'Thank the One for that!' she said. Pio rolled up the diagram and stored it safely away.

The shadow of the mast had grown long, and day was tending toward evening. She wondered how Levanto had done on the extra task she had set him.

The murmur of soft voices drifted up from the deck, where Ancalimon, Kali, the hobbits and Bird sat in the last of the sun and spoke about tomorrow's mission. Khelek sat a little to the side, writing in a journal, and occasionally speaking to Veritas, lying on her back, arms beneath her head, the very image of elven indolence.

Angara was perched once again on the mast, looking smugly at the elf. Pio's brow furrowed a little, and her eyes narrowed as she looked up at the dragon. 'Now what mischief has she wrought?'

Old 09-19-2002, 02:03 PM   #23
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

It was now late night and would soon be morning. Pio sat on the deck once again, watching the waves break and flow down upon themselves. The companions slept peacefully in their cabins, no troubling dreams. Except for Mithadan. He was awake, she could tell and his thoughts appeared uneasy, troubled by something. She delved no further than that surface feeling, allowing him his privacy.

He hadn't come to supper that evening. And she had written it off as other concerns needing his attention. She had sent Daisy to his room with a small plate of food and a glass of wine, thinking that when he was ready he would come to her.

But she had seen no sign of him, and now she thought to go below to speak with him.

The splashing of water, and a familiar voice called to her. 'Pio! Are you there?'

Levanto raised up and beckoned for her to come down to him. 'I have much to tell you!' he said, eyes gleaming. 'Come down! And bring the Mithadan, he will want to hear what the elders have found out for us.'

She hurried down the steps, making her way quickly to his cabin door. She rapped on it lightly, keeping her voice low. 'Mithadan, come up on deck! Levanto has returned and wishes to speak with both of us.' She stood a moment, waiting, but heard no answer. 'I will await you in the skiff, then.'

Her retreating footsteps echoed softly down the hall.

Old 09-19-2002, 03:51 PM   #24
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Mithadan rested on his bunk with his foot propped up on a pillow. He had bound it tightly with cloth, but the pain had not subsided. Nor had the pain in his soul. Angara was right. He could not accompany Pio into the West. But how could he ask her to choose the lot of Man and die, passing beyond the circles of Arda, never to see Valinor again?

It was her decision, he knew, but how could he ask her to choose to die? And the other choices grieved him as well; to let her go or stay with her until he departed, leaving her in sorrow for the life of Arda. He sighed. Yet love her he did and to let her go was not worthy of consideration.

He had loved her for a long time, he knew, perhaps even before her death in Gondolin. But that dark day had driven any hint of his emotions away lest he fall into a pit of despair. Then, beyond hope, she had returned, as had his feelings and they had gnawed at him since. He had not intended to allow her to know of his love. He had not dreamed that she would love him in return. But he had and she did and he could not deny that which he had declared openly. It was her decision.

A knock came at the cabin door. He heard a voice but could not quite identify its owner. He lifted himself from the bunk and nearly collapsed to the floor. Gritting his teeth, he righted himself and shambled slowly to the door. When he reached it, whoever had been there had gone.
Old 09-19-2002, 04:16 PM   #25
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

ooc: these recent posts might be better somewhere else, I seem to be clashing with the flow again. Apologies. Suggestions for better placing gratefully accepted... (end ooc)

Over young Kesha's snoring, Gamba heard Phura's restless sigh beside him. Gamba rolled halfway over. "You awake?"

"Yes."

"Bad dreams?"

"No, not bad. The same one I always have."

Gamba thought that over, guessing that at last, he understood. "Down by the water, when Levanto first came, and I said that everything good was finally happening, you said you wanted one more thing."

Phura waited.

"You meant Azraph, wasn't it? That one more thing that you wanted."

"Well-- no, not really. I mean, that wasn't what I had in mind. At the time."

"No?"

"I wasn't thinking about her at the time, " Phura stammered. "I guess if you put it that way, then I could ask for two more things. Azra and the other."

"So what's the other?"

Silence.

Gamba persistantly bugged Phura, and at last he hesitantly replied.

"It's not something I really know how to talk about."

"Well, try."

"It's got to do with an old song. One that not many people learn."

"I hate it when you and Loremaster have these deep secrets."

"I know."

"So, tell me."

Phura hesitated. "Nobody quite knows, " he waffled, "but some people think it's about somebody that Lindo met."

"Who did he meet?"

"Well, nobody quite knows exactly, anymore. That's been lost, although there are hints in Tocca's Addendum. But something happened to him."

Gamba blinked. "To Lindo?"

"Well, I think so. Loremaster doesn't think it's quite like I think it is."

"What isn't like you think?"

Phura sighed. "I've said way too much. And nobody really knows. It's all guessing."

More answers that didn't answer anything, Gamba fumed, knowing that once Phura started closing down, pressure would only tighten him further. Gamba gave up. "Well, are you going to be able to sleep?"

"You could sing, " Phura sighed. Gamba sang several lullabyes but Phura did not sleep. Gamba finally did, though, drifting off in mid-verse, and Phura lay awake listening to both Gamba and Kesha's snoring together.

[ September 19, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 09-19-2002, 04:25 PM   #26
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

The first pink threads of dawn streaked across the sky as Cami went out on deck with the raiding party to prepare the skiffs. She directed everyone to work as quietly as possible. Last night, she'd heard that Mithadan was searching for her to discuss the plans yet again.

As far as Cami was concerned, the party had been granted final permission to go. The last thing she wanted was more planning and waiting. She and every member of the party had memorized the maps and instructions to perfection. Weapons had been honed and sharpened. Rose and Daisy carried swords. Cami's daggers were strapped to her waist and her bow slung across her back. Weapons had also been tucked onto the boats for Kali and Bird.

Cami was quite sure the group would never be more ready than they were at that very moment. There was absolutely no sense in waiting.

Cami had expected Pio to make an appearance on deck and to update her on Levanto's findings, but nowhere could she be seen. Ancalimon, however, stood at the helm and came over to wish them luck. Kali and Bird slipped quietly into the waters. Kali was to help tow one boat and Bird the other. Rose and Cami sat in the lead skiff, with Daisy coming just behind.

Just as they were about to leave, a large winged bundle dropped from the mast with eyes glittering green. Cami feared the dragon might start in as she had the other night. But Angara seemed strangely pleased with herself. There were no smoke rings or signs of displeasure. She stepped up to the party and wished them good speed, placing a final thought in Cami's mind.

Ah, what a joyous morning it is! So good to see you up and about. I believe the man is still sleeping. Is he not? At this point, Angara smiled broadly and preened her scales with pleasure. Now, be off with you quickly before anyone else sees you and decides it might be better for you to wait. My, my the wind does seem to be blowing briskly today! Good luck to you all.

Cami wondered what had happened to the dragon's earlier grumpiness and displeasure. She seemed to be immeasurably pleased with herself. But there was no time for such thoughts. The skiffs slipped into the water from off the pulley, and soon they were on their way. The wind was blowing sharply from the east, and the sky had turned from blush pink to a glowing red.

[ September 20, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-19-2002, 05:23 PM   #27
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Mithadan was miserable. Within 10 minutes of his standing up, his ankle had begun to swell and shortly thereafter he was unable to walk at all. He had unwrapped the ankle, bathed it (painfully) in cool water from his basin, then carefully rewrapped it a bit more loosely to avoid cutting his circulation. Whoever had knocked on the door had not returned and no one had visited all evening. The absence of Piosenniel troubled him in particular. He considered shouting but it would be unseemly and embarassing.

So he suffered through the evening with his pain and his thoughts until sleep found him and he passed into uncomfortable dreams. But there was no beach, no wave rising from the depths, no mighty Vala appearing to give him messages or solace.

A mighty hunger woke him at dawn. The swelling had receded a bit and he found that he could stand if he were careful. He pulled on his boots, which supported his ankle a bit more and hobbled out the door in search of food and company.
Old 09-19-2002, 05:41 PM   #28
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dûm

GreatWarg has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Khelek wrote once again in the journel that Pio had given him. It only seemed right to use it for poetry, though he doubted they would really be sung by anyone except himself. An unfamiliar hobbling sound startled the Elf out of his reverie. Turning around, he spotted Mithadan with a leg wrapped loosely in cloth.

'Mithadan, what has happened? No one has seen you since last night,' was all Khelek could think of to say. The Elf stood up and went to assist the Man. Taking a closer inspection, the Khelek could clearly see the swelling.

'There is no possible way you could have hurt yourself like that in your cabin, Mithadan.'
Old 09-19-2002, 06:17 PM   #29
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

"You are quite right Khelek," Mithadan said as he shuffled over to take a seat at one of the Galley's tables. He gratefully accepted a plate of fruit and, to Khelek's astonishment, some smoked fish. He ate ravenously and in silence. When he was finished, he looked up and asked, "Where are the others?"

"I have not seen Piosenniel", he replied with a knowing smile. "Nor Veritas. But Cami, Kali and Bird departed this morning in their attempt to rescue the Hobbrim."

Mithadan froze for a moment. Then he stood and moved towards the door. "Khelek," he said. "Help me up the gangway. I must speak with Angara."

The two made their way slowly to the main deck. Grasping the rail, he walked carefully to the bow of the Lonely Star. There, on a coil of rope, lay Angara, lounging in the sun. The dragon looked at Mithadan in amusement as he approached. "What may I do for you,mighty warrior?" she asked, her tone dripping with scorn.

"When did the they leave, Cami and the others?" he asked.

"Perhaps an hour ago," replied the wyrm as she examined one of her claws.

"Do you know where they went?" said Mithadan.

"If I knew, I surely would not tell you," hissed Angara.

Khelek stepped back in shock, but Mithadan moved closer. "I know where they went," he said quietly. "I asked if you knew where they went. Do you understand the difference wyrm?"

Angara hissed and began to rise. Even as she began to move, Mithadan stepped forward until he could nearly touch her. "You will listen to me now Angara!" he shouted. "Follow them. Make sure they come to no harm. Remain unseen but nearby. If they find trouble, help them if need be. But none who see them or you may live. Do you understand me dragon?"

Angara's golden eyes met Mithadan's. For a moment, neither wavered. Then the dragon stirred and nodded its assent. As it lifted from the deck, the Man heard a voice in his head. "We will have words later Man!" He watched the dragon fly off to the North. "No. You are wrong. We will not have words about this. And by the end of the day you will see that I am right. You may yet live to understand me Angara. Your concern about Piosenniel is noted but you will obey me concerning our task!"
Old 09-19-2002, 06:54 PM   #30
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Far to the North, in Armenelos, Gorthaur stirred in his chambers. A red fire lit his sumptuous surroundings; a chair of gold sat next to a table of fine wood inlaid with pearl. The walls were hung with tapestries of red cloth embroidered with golden thread. Two men stood by the door awaiting his merest whim. But he stirred and frowned...

A thought. Distant. Far to the South. He felt a thought. He fingered it in his mind, caressing it; attempting to unravel its meaning. It was fuzzy, hushed, too quiet for him to glean words from it. But it was a thought...of what? He tasted it again. A man. Just a man. Soon all men here would be in his web. The fool king and his armies would be dead and he alone would rule here and in Middle Earth. Just a man. Not an elf. A weak man. He let it go and turned to other matters.
Old 09-19-2002, 11:52 PM   #31
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

The skiffs flew over the waves, powered by forces not seen by anyone aboard the ships, if anyone aboard the ships had been watching.

After a mile or so, the small boats slowed, and Birdie raised her sleek, black and white head above the water. "Cami! Neither Kali or I can read maps and tow boats at the same time. Which way do you want us to go?"
Old 09-20-2002, 02:48 AM   #32
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

They waited for a brief while, but Mithadan had not come to meet with them. Pio listened to the information that Levanto brought and memorized each detail. He told her that he would meet with the elders again in a week and then just before the rescue. He hoped that by such time she would have a detailed plan he could relay to them. When she asked him about his success at finding the hobbrim caves, he gave her the locations he had spotted.

She saw that he was weary from his efforts, and bade him take some rest, thanking him as he turned to go for all his assistance.

He turned back to her, and drew himself from the water to rest his upper body on the edge of the skiff. 'I love you, Piosenniel. I think I will always love you.' He reached out a hand and stroked her face gently. 'I would do anything you ask of me.' Her breath caught in her throat at this simple declaration. 'And if you wish it, then I will step aside, graciously, for the one who loves you and whom you love.'

'Thank you.' she said softly, tears glittering along the line of her lashes. 'If you will, then I would have it so.'

He took her hands in his, and kissed her on the brow. 'So be it!' Then he dove beneath the waves to find some rest.
Old 09-20-2002, 03:33 AM   #33
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The elf sat for some time in the skiff, alone with her thoughts. They were jumbled, her thinking cloudy. What had seemed so simple at the time, was now unclear to her. She envied Tulë his dispassion, her early self that callous and casual attitude. But they were no more, and it was this Pio who must choose her way.

The sound of boats pushing through the water, and the merry voices of the hobbits broke through her dark thoughts. She stood and dove into the water, swimming strongly toward them.

'Wait!' she cried, and pulled up alongside the skiff carrying Cami. She told her what Levanto had spied out, and the hobbit marked the sightings on her map. Then they were off, pulled swiftly across the waves by Bird and Kali.

She lingered for a while after they had gone. Then swam far out to sea, until her muscles burned with the effort. She turned, swimming slowly back to the Star, and climbed aboard.

[ September 20, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 09-20-2002, 04:14 AM   #34
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The exchange of thoughts she heard shocked her. She had told them both they must not do that here.

No!came the single, sharp thought of the elf to both of them. Angara flew on, unheeding. Mithadan turned toward her, his face set in hard lines.

A terrible dread came over her, and she felt a shadowy mind reach out to hers. She was sick with the feel of it, and closed her mind against its foul touch. It insinuated itself against her defenses, seeking to breach them. Her senses reeled with the onslaught, and she fell to the deck.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:27 AM   #35
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Even as he sent his thoughts to the dragon, Mithadan saw Piosenniel heaving herself to the deck from the ocean. He felt her project a single imperative, No!.
But it was too late.

Within seconds he felt a wave of darkness focus upon him, prying at the crevasses of his mind with greedy fingers. His mind snapped shut as the wave engulfed him. He sensed rather than saw Khelek reeling from the dark presence, Veritas kneeling with arms clasped tightly around herself, Angara diving from the sky to settle in the waves, and Piosenniel falling to the deck.

Mithadan gripped the rail, willing himself not to fall. The dark thought swirled about him and he sensed an insistent query; What, who, where?.

The world spun about him and his head felt caught in a vice. Thinking feverishly and with an effort of will he opened himself a tiny crack and let flow out: Salt. Water. Fish. Boat. Capsized. Drowning. Then he snapped his mind closed and let the dark thought slide around him again. He felt amusement, enjoyment of death, and then the darkness receded and the sun shined again.

Staggering from the release of pressure, he stepped unevenly to the unconscious Piosenniel and cradled her head. Gasping and ignoring the pain in his head and leg, he lifted her and carried her down to her cabin, where his tears washed her cheeks.

[ September 20, 2002: Message edited by: Mithadan ]
Old 09-20-2002, 08:53 AM   #36
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

As Angara took off and traced her path across the skies, she could feel the iron touch of the Man's mind brushing against her own. Frustration and humiliation gripped her. She had no wish to repeat the scene on the Star. She felt a new message coming through, and, with an effort of will, sought to free herself from its grip.

But, then, from some unknown shadow, she sensed yet another mind, strangely linked through that of the Man. The enormity of it all stunned her. It hovered on the edge of her consciousness seeking to encompass the Man and then to engulf her own self as well. She struggled against its potency. As blackness overcame Angara, and she plummetted into the waters, she sensed a question posed from the beyond.

A wyrm? A winged wyrm? From whence came such a creature to the shores of Elenna? What a valuable ally this one would make!

The mind let go of the Man and searched instead for the one behind it. A feeling of sick joy spread at the imagined vision of a giant dragon with its claws fixed on a hapless vessel smashing it down into the depths. Yet when the mind searched again for the source of that destruction, it could not be found.

The touch had been so fleeting, felt only through another, that it was impossible to tell from whence it came. It might have com from anywhere along the isle's twisted coastline. Still, a winged wyrm in the sky merited investigation.

Just as Cami was about to respond to Bird, Pio had made her appearance at the skiff. After taking down the information and bidding goodbye to the Elf, the hobbit had again turned her attention to the question of directions.

She had looked at the maps, and then at the choppy waters surrounding the boats. One final glance at the rising sun had confirmed her first guess.

"Bear east," she had cried. The wind is pushing us too far west. It's strong today, so be careful. You need to approach the coast from the east, since that's where the caves are. That way, we're less likely to meet any small boats."

For the longest time, she had sensed the presence of something in her mind, as if she was being followed. It was not an unfriendly touch, merely curious and probing, and a bit disgruntled, almost as if it had been given some responsibility to keep an eye on them. The hobbit was suspicious. But when she turned and looked in all directions she saw nothing. Then, almost instantly, she felt the presence withdraw. She could not understand or explain, but she felt greatly relieved that they were no longer being followed.

Old 09-20-2002, 09:34 AM   #37
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio lifted her head from the pillow and opened her eyes to the light, slowly. A wave of queasiness washed over her. Her head pounded with the effort of the movement. She pulled her hands from beneath the blanket and rubbed her temples slowly, affording a small respite from the pain.

'Pillow? Blanket?!' she thought to herself, eyes now closed. 'How did I come to be in bed? And whose bed is this?' she murmured.

She struggled up, resting on her elbows, and looked through half-closed eyes about the small cramped space. Strewn with maps and books piled here and there she recognized it now. Her own room! Again the question nagged at her. Her last memory had been of coming aboard the Star, the last image that of Mithadan impassive at the rail staring after Angara.

She dared to sit a little higher now. And saw him sitting at her side. Slumped down in a chair he had pulled near her bed, his right leg propped on the edge of it, he dozed. His face was care worn even in the depths of sleep, and she saw the salty tracks with which his tears had mapped the contours of his cheeks.

Reaching out a hand, she traced one track with her finger. He stirred at her light touch, coming awake.

'Mithadan, what happened? I cannot recall it?'
Old 09-20-2002, 10:29 AM   #38
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Bird was not touched by these assaults of the mind, except for perhaps a vague uneasiness, that could be put down to the reactions of the people around her. But there was something else that was troubling her as Kali and her towed the boats towards the East.

The wind was stronger, and as the boats came nearer to the shore, she noticed that flocks of seabirds were also heading towards the land.

"Looks like we may be in for some rough weather," she thought, even though the sky was still blue and fair. She began to swim harder. At the same time, Kali, perhaps being more weather-wise, also picked up his pace.
Old 09-20-2002, 10:32 AM   #39
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

The little hobbrim child ran across the shore. She was playing with the shells and stones and small creatures which she found on the sand. She was very careful not to harm or injure these little living things in any way.

Scampering down the sand, the child came to a bend in the shoreline where piles of drifwood often came to rest. She looked down the coast expecting to see heaped mounds of driftwood caught between large rocks as she'd found so many times on her explorations. She peered again in puzzlement.

Something strange seemed to be lying on the sand, right beside the water. It was very large and lifeless and green. Curiousity overcame the hobbrim. Against all her more prudent instincts, she reached out a hand to touch the silent body. A head lifted softly from the sand, but only an inch or two. The child could hear heavy breathing and looked to see one golden green eye open very slowly. With difficulty, it fixed on the youngster, seeing but not seeing. A voice came from the creature's mouth, "Is that you, Kali?" Then, the head fell again, and the mammouth slept.

The child responded swiftly. She raced from the coastline back to her home in the caves. Her feet pumped over the sands, as she sought the comfort and advice of family. "Mother, father, come see what I have found! It's as big as our cave. And, it talks. The big creature talks."

Together the three--mother, father, and daughter--walked back to the giant form which still lay silent on the windswept beach. Overhead, the sky began to darken.

Old 09-20-2002, 11:00 AM   #40
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

The mother turned to the father with a disturbed look on her face. "What is this lying here?"

He shook his head in disbelief, "I don't know. I've never seen anything like it." He paused a moment and then said to the girl, "Coral, run back to the camps and try to find the wise-woman. She must come down and look at this."

The girl nodded in agreement, and turned about to race up the shoreline once again.

Within a few moments, Coral came back. Behind her was an elderly hobbrim, her face a mass of wrinkles and kindness. The girl took the woman's hand and led her over by the silent body. "Look, Andril, here it is."

Andril knelt beside the still form. She was not afraid. She reached out her hand to stroke the scales, once so beautiful and glittering, now as dusky as the night sky. When she looked up again, tears had begun streaming from her eyes.

"They have come," she whispered. "For the lore speaks of a giant golden dragon who was ridden by Nitir and Azra when they left the shores of Tol Fuin. But what has happened to the riders now, I do not know. I fear for their safety. Coral, run to the elders and tell them what has happened. We must send out scouts to search the shoreline and the waters. And have Brecca come here with his life-giving herbs to tend to this dragon's wounds."

For the third time that day, Coral turned and ran back to find her kin.