The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-18-2009, 08:35 AM   #1
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Big hairy feet proves Hobbits are real

Quote:
Fans of the 'Lord of the Rings' would know that hobbits are renowned for their big hairy feet. And it's those distinctive feet that have convinced scientists the skeleton of a tiny woman discovered in Indonesia a few years ago does represent a new species of human
Hobbits a new type of human

Their tiny brain makes a future discovery of the real Red Book of Westmarch rather unlikely though...
Old 05-18-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
radagastly
Shade of Carn Dûm

radagastly is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Just a quick link to a previous thread on this discovery:

We Have Hobbit Ancestors

And one in Mirth:

Existence of Hobbits Discovered.

A settlement of similarly diminutive people has subsequently been discovered in the Ural Mountains, (I think it was in the Urals, I can't find the article now.) that was contemporaneous with these individuals on the island of Flores.

It's good to see people are still discussing this.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:27 AM   #3
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Science once again confirms the 'truth' as revealed by Tolkien...
Old 05-18-2009, 03:19 PM   #4
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
In light of those threads I should perhaps point out that the news here is the discovery of the big feet and its implications. Ever since the 'Hobbits' were found in Indonesia, Scientists have argued whether they are just regular Pygmies (Homo Sapien) with rare diseases accounting for their diminutive stature and small skulls, or whether they represent a whole new subspecies of Man, dubbed Homo floresiensis. Those in favour of the latter theory will feel that the Hobbits' huge feet proves once and for all that they are indeed a separate branch of the Human race that up until quite recently lived side by side with modern Homo Sapiens.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:46 PM   #5
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I don't think Hobbits in general have unusually big feet.

I don't remember Tolkien ever saying so anyway, and he depicted Hobbit feet in his art. The Harfoots were said to be browner of skin, smaller, and shorter, and they were beardless and bootless -- their hands and feet were 'neat and nimble'. The Stoors were broader, heavier in build; their feet and hands were larger.

Not large, but larger by comparison (feet and hands) -- but the Stoors were broader and of heavier build in any case.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:19 PM   #6
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galin View Post
I don't think Hobbits in general have unusually big feet.

I don't remember Tolkien ever saying so anyway, and he depicted Hobbit feet in his art. The Harfoots were said to be browner of skin, smaller, and shorter, and they were beardless and bootless -- their hands and feet were 'neat and nimble'. The Stoors were broader, heavier in build; their feet and hands were larger.

Not large, but larger by comparison (feet and hands) -- but the Stoors were broader and of heavier build in any case.
I suppose you're right, Galin.

Can't remember if I already before the movies had the notion that Hobbits in general had big feet, and not just old Odo Proudfoot, or if it's another thing to blame Peter Jackson for. I feel slightly embarrassed now.