The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2009, 08:49 PM   #1
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1420! Hobbit housing?

So I was browsing around inhabitat.com the other day and I happened to stumble across this:

Looks like hobbit holes, right? Of course most hobbits, except perhaps Sam, wouldn't be happy to have their neighbours so close, but this photo could have been theoretically possible in M-e.

By the way, if you're wondering what this actually is, it's a hotel in the Netherlands made out of salvaged wine casks.

You can read more on this cool idea at http://www.inhabitat.com/2009/01/14/...ne-cask-hotel/

Btw, just thought that this would be a wine barrel that Bilbo and the dwarves would actually like to be in.

EDIT: Feel free to move this to Mirth, if it doesn't fit that well in here.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I'd think Sam could be at home there. Looks quite a bit like my mental image of Bagshot Row.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:51 AM   #3
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dûm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

I'd stay there for a night. With just a few yards more space between the doors, it would be strikingly similar to my vision of Bagshot Row as well.

The bedroom looks very cozy. I think the curved shape would be very relaxing. I had no idea wine barrels could be so large!

Very cool find, and such a creative idea! I think any hobbit would be quite content to call the place home-away-from-home. If I ever find myself in the Netherlands, I'd definitely look that place up for a night or two.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:26 AM   #4
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Here are a couple of pictures from Castilla y Leon in Spain. No round windows, but still, it isn't hard imagining Don Hobbito lives here, no?

Edit: Another lesson learnt from Spain (although the locals would resent me for naming it Spain, and hey, I'm not taking sides in that conflict): The city Bilbao is "Bilbo" in the Basque language.

Last edited by skip spence; 09-19-2009 at 11:34 AM.
skip spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
That does look very Hobbitish! Wouldn't it however be quite dark inside there?
Old 09-20-2009, 01:57 PM   #6
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
Here are a couple of pictures from Castilla y Leon in Spain.
Wow, the second one looks very much like how I would imagine Hobbiton in a more arid climate.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:26 PM   #7
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
Wouldn't it however be quite dark inside there?
Yeah, I assume they are used for storing food and such, and not for living in, as there are no windows. Yet there are chimneys, and on the picture on the right you can see a TV-antenna on the full size version. I know that in some parts of Southern Spain, like in Granada, people are accustomed to living in dug out caves in the hillside, much like Hobbit-holes.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:52 PM   #8
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
There could by skylights.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:54 PM   #9
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
Yeah, I assume they are used for storing food and such, and not for living in, as there are no windows. Yet there are chimneys, and on the picture on the right you can see a TV-antenna on the full size version. I know that in some parts of Southern Spain, like in Granada, people are accustomed to living in dug out caves in the hillside, much like Hobbit-holes.
In The Little House on The Prairie, weren't they living in a home that was dug out of the dirt. I twas in a mound, if I can remember rightly... This thread just reminded me or their semi hobbit-like home.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:09 PM   #10
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
In The Little House on The Prairie, weren't they living in a home that was dug out of the dirt. I twas in a mound, if I can remember rightly... This thread just reminded me or their semi hobbit-like home.
Ehh...

I can only see a superficial relationship between soddies and hobbit holes.

The most obvious difference is that soddies were made because the American settlers were out on the Great Plains, where the land is flat as a pancake, because there were no trees; whereas hobbits had hills to burrow their way into.

For those unfamiliar with the concept, a sodhouse was made by chopping blocks of dirt (the very thick root system of the native grasses of the American Great Plains helped keep the sod together) out of the ground and then using them as bricks to make walls around the area you dug the sod from. So a sodhouse is slightly underground as you keep on chopping more chunks of dirt out.

Hobbit burrows may have started out more similar to this by being mere rooms dug straight into the earth (so you get dirt floors and walls), but the ones that we're familiar with managed to go past that by adding the amenities of wood paneling on the inside (if a Plains pioneer could afford wood, s/he would simply build a wooden house). Given Tolkien's introduction to holes as not being wet or smelly in The Hobbit it's safe to assume that there was some kind of civilizing interior added to most holes by the end of the Third Age; on the other hand when the hobbits dismantle Sharkey's inns and use the bricks to make some holes snugger or drier these methods couldn't have been foolproof, especially for the poorer families.

But there is one thing I've learned through studying the sodhouses: dirt is a great insulator, keeping the house (or hole) cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Which seems like just the right kind of logic that hobbits would like.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:37 PM   #11
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemosyne View Post
Ehh...

I can only see a superficial relationship between soddies and hobbit holes.

The most obvious difference is that soddies were made because the American settlers were out on the Great Plains, where the land is flat as a pancake, because there were no trees; whereas hobbits had hills to burrow their way into.

For those unfamiliar with the concept, a sodhouse was made by chopping blocks of dirt (the very thick root system of the native grasses of the American Great Plains helped keep the sod together) out of the ground and then using them as bricks to make walls around the area you dug the sod from. So a sodhouse is slightly underground as you keep on chopping more chunks of dirt out.

Hobbit burrows may have started out more similar to this by being mere rooms dug straight into the earth (so you get dirt floors and walls), but the ones that we're familiar with managed to go past that by adding the amenities of wood paneling on the inside (if a Plains pioneer could afford wood, s/he would simply build a wooden house). Given Tolkien's introduction to holes as not being wet or smelly in The Hobbit it's safe to assume that there was some kind of civilizing interior added to most holes by the end of the Third Age; on the other hand when the hobbits dismantle Sharkey's inns and use the bricks to make some holes snugger or drier these methods couldn't have been foolproof, especially for the poorer families.

But there is one thing I've learned through studying the sodhouses: dirt is a great insulator, keeping the house (or hole) cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Which seems like just the right kind of logic that hobbits would like.
Thanks for clearing that up, as I think I already said, I couldn't quite remember, it's been probably nine or so years since I read those... or rather had them sort of read to me (because my mum would read to me, but I'd be a page ahead of her because she was too slow).