The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2007, 03:50 PM   #1
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
The Eye Sam's Debate and the Voice of Despair

I recently picked up Fellowship of the Ring to verify some fact (I forget now what it was) that was in confusion in my mind from the movie. Naturally, I could not put it down (wish I'd started at the beginning) and am now with Frodo and Sam again at the foot of Mt. Doom. (This is probably the eighth or ninth time I've read it.)

I'm curious about the debate that Sam had with himself. Sam ended it with the viciously loyal note "I'll get there if I leave everything but my bones behind, and I'll carry Mr. Frodo up myself, if it breaks my back and heart. So stop arguing!"

This appears to be a crescendo of an internal argument that took place with Sam on a couple of instances.

My question is, was Sam really just battling his own inner doubt, or was there some external evil at work? I ask mostly because, right at the end of the last debate, the ground shakes and there is a brief flash of light. In most cases in Lord of the Rings, when the weather or elements show some sign, there is external supernatural powers at work. (IE, Meduseld/Theoden's healing, Helm's Deep, Pelennor, etc.) It would seem that Samwise was victorious over this doubt, internal or external, and the enemy suffered a defeat.

What are your thoughts on the matter?
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:43 PM   #2
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Dark-Eye

Hmm need to read that part again...
but from what I remember...
I didn't think of it that way but I suppose thats a valid point, Sam may very well have been battling Sauron's evil force, but if he was then wouldn't Sauron know that Sam, Frodo, and The Ring were in Mordor?
Old 08-23-2007, 12:13 AM   #3
Gothbogg the Ripper
Wight

Gothbogg the Ripper has just left Hobbiton.
I think that it was just Sam talking to himself. I mean, Frodo wasn't much of a conversationalist by that point was he?
Old 08-23-2007, 09:16 AM   #4
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Although Sam had borne the Ring for a short period of time, I doubt that the Ring or any other evil will played any part in Sam's debate. Rather, it was simply an internal dialogue brought on by extended weariness, deprivation and suffering. It could be summarized as "I can't go any farther... I must go on."

To the contrary, to the extent any external force was at work, it was likely a product of those who live in the West. Once Sam resolved to carry Frodo, he found that Frodo was light and was no great burden to him. While the West no longer was directly acting in Middle Earth as a physical presence, other than through the Istari, we cannot discount the ability and desire of the Valar to influence events. There are several mentions of Frodo having "fair" dreams while struggling along towards his goal. So maybe Lorien or others of the Valar had some hand in inspiring Sam to go on?
Old 08-23-2007, 09:44 AM   #5
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I think that the atmosphere of Mordor carried despair. I think that the will of Sauron had so perverted the air, rock, and earth that anything there against his will would find it difficult to function.

I will give this more thought, and see if I can come out with a more comprehensible post.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:18 AM   #6
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
This appears to be a crescendo of an internal argument that took place with Sam on a couple of instances.
A real grammatical pet peeve of mine, and most musicians':

Increasingly we see and hear 'crescendo' completely misused when what is meant is 'climax.' Crescendo 'increase' is a direction to add more volume or get louder- it is the process of getting 'bigger' which leads up to a climax: NOT the climax itself. Its opposite is decrescendo or diminuendo- getting softer.

The English cognate, crescent, was originally an adjective which by common use in the phrase 'crescent (waxing) moon' came to be a noun for the shape itself.

Last edited by William Cloud Hicklin; 08-24-2007 at 08:30 AM.
William Cloud Hicklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:57 PM   #7
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien

William- that has nothing to do with the question.

I think it was purely an internal debate of Sam's. Everybody has debates like this with themselves, going back and forth with something they are pondering, be it something of little importance or a lot of importance- it's normal, and Sam isn't any different.