The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2010, 04:36 PM   #41
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
Anyway, this was probably the best way to honor Tolkien's Reading Day - and the destruction of the Ring - and I must thank again everybody for participation. It was fun!
Yes it was (fun, interesting experience and everything)! Thank you all!
A little bit awkward too at the beginning, when Agan (the one I'd had the least interaction with on the Downs) called me and I discovered my spoken English had got a bit rusty and I was somewhat at a loss what to talk about (except Werewolf), and while we were all fiddling about trying to figure out the mechanics of a conference call on Skype, but we got over all that, and the reading itself was just wonderful.
And for the record, if I were the Witch-King and Agan told me to "Begone, foul dwimmerlaik!", it would definitely give me pause...

To sum it up, there must be a next time!
Old 03-26-2010, 02:16 AM   #42
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Kudos to each of you for making the effort to organize this virtual event! Please do keep us all informed of future plans: I, for one, would be interested in joining in - "though I do not know the way" - if someone explains the technical aspects to me in small, understandable steps.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:18 PM   #43
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
A little bit awkward too at the beginning, when Agan (the one I'd had the least interaction with on the Downs) called me and I discovered my spoken English had got a bit rusty and I was somewhat at a loss what to talk about (except Werewolf)
Haha actually it was you who called me (I just added you on my contact list). But yeah I know Skype can be a bit confusing at first (it took me a while to learn to master it, and I still keep having problems with it although they are rather due to the fact that I have Linux).
And I didn't even notice that your English was supposed to be rusty.

Quote:
And for the record, if I were the Witch-King and Agan told me to "Begone, foul dwimmerlaik!", it would definitely give me pause...
*likes* Thanks!
I've never thought of my voice as anything special, but a while ago somebody told me that if he ever made a Silmarillion movie/play/musical/whatever, he'd have me do Ungoliant's voice... I can't deny that comments like these stroke my ego.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
I, for one, would be interested in joining in - "though I do not know the way" - if someone explains the technical aspects to me in small, understandable steps.
You need Skype, a microphone, and Downers on your contact list. Despite everything I've said earlier in this post, Skype is relatively easy to use, but if you need assistance, I'll be happy to help you as best I can.

Anyway, more than one person has said that we should do this again. How about making it a regular event? As long as there is interest, we could have a reading session, say, once or twice a month (something like each month's first Friday, or whenever people have time). Opinions?
Old 03-27-2010, 05:26 PM   #44
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
You need Skype, a microphone, and Downers on your contact list. Despite everything I've said earlier in this post, Skype is relatively easy to use, but if you need assistance, I'll be happy to help you as best I can.
Really, it's not that difficult. I'm pretty backward technologically myself (I've only discovered YouTube this year!), and if I can do it, everybody can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agan
Anyway, more than one person has said that we should do this again. How about making it a regular event? As long as there is interest, we could have a reading session, say, once or twice a month (something like each month's first Friday, or whenever people have time). Opinions?
Great idea! Most definitely yes. What about the 25th of each month (or whatever viable date falls next to it)? Or any Friday or Saturday would be a good idea too, as most people won't have to get up early next morning.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:06 PM   #45
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Can't believe I missed this! Dang dang dang.

Count me in for the next session.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:10 AM   #46
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Great idea! Most definitely yes. What about the 25th of each month (or whatever viable date falls next to it)? Or any Friday or Saturday would be a good idea too, as most people won't have to get up early next morning.
We have been actually talking about this a bit yesterday with Lommy in Nogrod's place, and I have raised basically the same question - that in my opinion the only problem is to have any set date, otherwise it will fall apart, as people will be just like "yes, we definitely have to repeat that some time! If that's ever done, count me in!"

In my opinion it would be the best to have some good occasions triggered by special days, like this one was. Totally typical would be to read on days like the 22th September etc., you get the point... it will also nicely give us hints as to what kind of texts we could read (as it was in this occassion). Of course the bad thing is that right now we have entered the part of the year when more or less nothing happened at least in the LotR timeline. However with lack of visible dates we could just as well use the 25th, as Pitch proposed (or maybe 23rd or 24th would be better, as they are not followed by Mondays). Or another possibility was something Nogrod had mentioned yesterday, if there is some date like e.g. the release date of some book or something, that might also be a nice occassion.

So, whichever of these - let us decide. There is of course still quite a lot of time to discuss that, also to discuss what to read. I think some part from the start of the Hobbit might be nice, for instance, as we'd fit the timetable.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:19 PM   #47
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I fully agree with what Legate just said.
Furthermore, I feel we shouldn't do this too often, otherwise it won't be as special anymore.
However, I guess once a month is ok, 12 times in one year sounds like something that won't become boring in time.
For example late April something to do with Aragorn's coronation?
Old 03-29-2010, 12:15 AM   #48
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
I fully agree with what Legate just said.
Furthermore, I feel we shouldn't do this too often, otherwise it won't be as special anymore.
However, I guess once a month is ok, 12 times in one year sounds like something that won't become boring in time.
For example late April something to do with Aragorn's coronation?

Let's do it!
Old 03-29-2010, 09:53 AM   #49
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Also, do people prefer weekends or does anything go? If both Europeans and Americans (and Asians etc.) are going to participate, either we should stay up very late or Americans should try to find some time during day. Considering that I'm inclined to vote for weekends.

How about something like Saturday the 24th of April as the next reading session?

Aragorn's coronation sounds fine enough as well as something from the Hobbit. If somebody has any time to spare, they could maybe search for more good passages and post them here (the situation & the number of speakers) for future reference.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:03 PM   #50
PrinceOfTheHalflings
Wight

PrinceOfTheHalflings is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sorry I missed it. I'll try to make the next one!
PrinceOfTheHalflings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:38 PM   #51
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I agree, the 24th sounds great, and I also agree that we could also do the Hobbit instead.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:07 AM   #52
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
I agree, the 24th sounds great, and I also agree that we could also do the Hobbit instead.
Yes. So let's set 24th as the "base date"? If there are any problems or demands, we can change it, but let's set it for now so that we have a stable date?

I was thinking that e.g. the Trolls in the Hobbit would be a nice scene (although... we should've better picked some 'Downers with Londoners' accent... on the other hand, with a bunch of international people, the accents might be even more peculiar and interesting). Depending of course on how many people we have, and we might as well set the length of the scene also depending on that, but I think that one's pretty lively one, and might be fun.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 03-30-2010, 11:08 AM   #53
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

If we're missing an certain accent among the participants, I can probably feign it.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:33 AM   #54
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
If we're missing an certain accent among the participants, I can probably feign it.
Nah, I think there's no need to and it's even better that way. No limits to performance - Tolkien could not have written about Bert having Finnish, Tom German and William Czech accent, since the audience would not be familiar with them and thus it would prove confusing, however, we can have any accents no problem... even American ones
Old 04-14-2010, 01:35 PM   #55
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Firstly, congrats on 5000 posts, Legate! Here's to the next 5000!

Secondly, I just wanted to let you know I'm probably going to miss the next reading. We're organising a party for the 23rd and the 24th is going to be clean-up day. Still, maybe it will work out and I can join in.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:32 PM   #56
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Oh goodness, what I've missed!

This sounds like a fabulous idea; I'd love to join in, but I couldn't be informed on the Downs. . .

You wouldn't have to be friends with everyone on Skype to do this, right? I know that I am friends with Aganzir and Eonwe, but other than that. . . how does this work?
Old 04-15-2010, 03:27 AM   #57
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Firstly, congrats on 5000 posts, Legate! Here's to the next 5000!

Secondly, I just wanted to let you know I'm probably going to miss the next reading. We're organising a party for the 23rd and the 24th is going to be clean-up day. Still, maybe it will work out and I can join in.
Thanks, Miggy! And well, a pity, but if we are planning to keep doing this in the future... or perhaps if people were okay with it, we could slightly alter the date, if it was so that it would fit for everybody then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
This sounds like a fabulous idea; I'd love to join in, but I couldn't be informed on the Downs. . .

You wouldn't have to be friends with everyone on Skype to do this, right? I know that I am friends with Aganzir and Eonwe, but other than that. . . how does this work?
It's enough to be friend with at least somebody, I think, and in any case, you can add the others later on if it's needed. It's just important to have a version of Skype in which you can make conference calls, but then I believe probably each of them can do that.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:00 AM   #58
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

I had almost forgotten about this...

So the next reading is planned for tomorrow. Anyone still interested? And what are we going to read? Aragorn's coronation, something from the Hobbit (eg. the trolls)? Other suggestions? And what time? At least for me some time in the evening GMT would be best, but then I don't necessarily have to read anything as I had quite a big role last time (I can just listen, unless there are very many roles, and if the time doesn't work out for me, I can drop out).

Pitchwife
Esty
Gwath
Legate
PrinceOfTheHalflings
TGEW
Agan
Might
?

Last time we did this, I couldn't start a conference call (or, I could, but I couldn't hear what the others were saying) - I suppose it has something to do with the fact that I use Skype on Linux and it's a much older & simpler version. So we should choose somebody who adds all the participants on their contact list and starts the call.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:50 AM   #59
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

I'm busy in the evening (6 pm PST), but otherwise open tomorrow.

Let's look through our copies of LotR and find a bit with 7 or 8 roles to read.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:25 AM   #60
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
I had almost forgotten about this...
Me too.
It'd be lovely to do something from The Hobbit, but my problem with that is... er, well, it's a bit embarrassing, but... after all these years, I still don't own a copy of TH in the original English, only a German translation. I tried to get one from my library, but they're all taken at the moment.
Don't let that keep you back, though. Like Agan, I had a large role last time, and I'll enjoy myself perfectly just listening.
If you decide to do something from LotR, on the other hand, I'm definitely in, and I'd be more or less available all day.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:44 PM   #61
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

I am going to see Lommy tomorrow afternoon (basically afternoon GMT), but I think that will not necessarily be a problem but it might be even a bonus - it only depends, however, which time we (meaning now we Downers here) agree on (probably late-ish will make more sense, but that still depends... I think I will learn more about that from Lommy at most tomorrow if she does not pop up here herself. In the worst case, you can have me only as backup).

I am wondering about a possible dialogue with that many people there (Council of Elrond and all this stuff comes to mind, but it has generally rather long monologues from people, so maybe rather not), but I think let's first see how many people remember/forget about this. I will think about it. That said, however, if there's some time collision, nobody says that two separate things could not be arranged, and then each group might refer to the other what it was like
Old 04-23-2010, 04:04 PM   #62
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Hmm... I may well have time to do this tomorrow, depending on the time.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:15 PM   #63
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I don't think that I can do it tomorrow, due to prom and dress shopping, but I'd love to go another time. If that's alright.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:13 AM   #64
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

If we're going to do this today, it's probably time to get serious about it.

Troll scene from Hobbit - speakers required:

Narrator
Bilbo
William
Bert
Tom
Gandalf
*Thorin

*one or two other Dwarves
(* depending on how much context is to be included)

Aragorn's coronation - speakers required:

Narrator
Ioreth
Faramir
Aragorn
Gandalf
*Éomer
*Éowyn
*Frodo

(* if we go all the way to end of chapter)

Available speakers as of now:

?Pitch (see my last - we could of course do a bilingual version and have one of the Trolls speak German)
?Esty (not sure whether she's familiarized herself with Skype yet)
Gwath (looks like it's going to happen sometime in the European evening, if at all, so with PST being 8 hours behind GMT IIRC you should be fine)
Legate
PrinceOfTheHalflings
Agan
?Might
Eönwë
Old 04-24-2010, 06:18 AM   #65
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Thanks for posting those, Pitch. I suppose you could always download the Hobbit as a PDF file but then, those are usually illegal... I don't know if it makes a difference that you only plan to use it for this and have bought a German copy, though. But naturally I wouldn't suggest anything that goes against the rules of the Downs, so if you can't get a copy of the Hobbit, we could just do the coronation?

I'll be home for the whole evening, most likely, so I'm fine with any time. How would something like 8pm BST (British Summer Time, GMT+1) sound? That'd be 12pm PDT (that's your timezone Gwath, right?).
Old 04-24-2010, 08:50 AM   #66
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
I suppose you could always download the Hobbit as a PDF file but then, those are usually illegal...
Thanks for leading my innocent feet astray on the path of crime! It's actually out there on the web as an online e-book... Illegal as hell, to be sure, but I guess my conscience wouldn't object to using that for a one-time purpose, and I'll swear a Feanorian oath not to download or save it and to delete the bookmark once we're done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agan
I'll be home for the whole evening, most likely, so I'm fine with any time. How would something like 8pm BST (British Summer Time, GMT+1) sound? That'd be 12pm PDT (that's your timezone Gwath, right?).
Perfect for me.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:25 AM   #67
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Alright... I wonder how many people are around later. I don't have any preferences about a role although I don't think I'd make a credible troll, for instance. If enough people show up I can just listen but if not, well, I can take whatever there's left.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:53 AM   #68
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:

12 pm PST? Great.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:54 AM   #69
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Right, I think I've just found out how to host a conference call. So anybody who is going to join and doesn't have their Skype name in their profile (which seems to be everybody but Agan, Gwath and me), just send me a Skype message (by clicking on the little Skype icon down under my avvie) so I can add you.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:53 PM   #70
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Agan and me are online and having a little chat on Skype. Anybody else around?
Gwath, I've sent you a contact request, in case you haven't noticed.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:03 PM   #71
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Agan and me are online and having a little chat on Skype. Anybody else around?
Hmm why does this situation feel familiar...?

Anyway I suppose we're just going to wait until a suffiecient number of participants shows up.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:03 PM   #72
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

I'm on.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:08 PM   #73
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
12 pm PST? Great.
Aren't you on daylight saving time (which should be PDT as far as I know)?
Old 04-24-2010, 01:10 PM   #74
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Oh. Maybe?
Old 04-24-2010, 01:35 PM   #75
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
...hi! Mind if I jump in and be all awkward?

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:35 PM   #76
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Please do Oddwen! Just add one (or more) of us on Skype and that's it.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:37 PM   #77
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I believe I have all of you now, but nobody is showing as online.

edit: Until I post this of course...

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #78
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
If you need one more person, pick me! (I'm thinking of an excuse not to reread the ww thread... )
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:28 PM   #79
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Next time you do this, definitely get a hold of me. Terrible day to be away from my lovely internet connection at my apartment where I have all skype, cameras, and microphones available. Ah well, next time, next time.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:49 PM   #80
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Palantir-Green

Hey people who might be reading this! We're currently online and soon start doing another reading. If you want to join, act quickly and add someone in Skype (I'm thinlomien, for example).
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote