User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-03-2002, 03:53 PM   #81
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Mattius jolted into concioucness when his dragging head smashed against a sharp rock. He groaned and tried to rub the back of his skull but his hands were tied behind his back. This might not be a good situation, he thought to himself as he opened his sore eyes. As the world came into focus he could see little, but the little he could see was just as he suspected, not good. The grey mist was still all about and Mattius could just make out his legs in front of him being lifted and used to drag him. He caught glimpses of the hands around his ankles, dark red rotting flesh hanging from black bones. Mattius drew a sharp breath, in these few brief seconds he had formulated a plan in his mind. His arms were tied but his legs were not.

In a flash Mattius spun his whole body, jolting his legs free, quickly he stood up and ran into the mist. He didnt have much time, he knew he could not hide forever, but he did have a few vital moments. With his tied hands he reached to his boots and pulled out a small elvish blade, hidden from view. Quickly he nicked the ropes until he could use his own strength to break them. As they snapped he reached to his sheath to attack with Angmarth. For three seconds his heart stopped. The sword was gone, he was defensless. Ofcourse! he thought. How stupid! It was dropped in the woods. He now had two choices, run or fight and Mattius was done with running in the sea of dense stench that was the mist. With his small blade and a clenched fist he readied hismself.

It was in this moment when death seemed to be upon the young Elf Man that help came from the skies above him. The Mist cleared and a bird sang clear and proud, a great eagle shape circled the sky and as it decended the mist around it dissapeared. It landed a few feet away from Mattius with something in its talons. Angmarth. The eagle let loose its grip on the blade and flew back into the sky leaving Mattius alone in the mist. Without thinking, he ran to the place where his weapon lay and in a smooth movement lifted it clean off the gound and sliced at an oncomming foul beast of the night. The decaying flesh stank the area as its decapetated body lay still on the ground. More attacked and everyone fell to the power of the Sword and its Master.
"Firnlord and Angmarth!" Yelled Mattius without thinking as a dozen more beasts fell. The attacks soon died out, and all that could be heared was Mattius panting,
"Firnlord and Angmarth... Firnlord and Angmarth..." As he sheathed his sword another figure appeared in front of him. It was of a man or perhaps an elf, thought Mattius. But he was wrong, it was the Head Protector and he was Maiar.

"Greetings," said a familir voice to Mattius, "I am the Head Protector, sent by Manwe himself to help guide the gifted weilder of Angmarth." The Head Protector was quite short, around five foot five and had white hair and a small white beard. He was dressed in satin blue with gold symbols of Eagles. "Follow me Firnlord," he commanded. Mattius follwed him to a stone wall upon which the Head Protector sat himself.
"Are you the one who speaks in my head?" asked Mattius. The man nodded.
"Yes, and I am here to help thee but first there is a story for me to tell you." Mattius looked on. "At the beginning of time when Melkor first rebelled against the rest of the Valar many evil things were created by him. One of the wrost was a great beast of terrible power. It had no physical appearnce of its own accept to Melkor, its creator. To all others it would appear as a fear."
"The Black Beast..." Mattius muttered to himself.
"Indeed Firnlord, Manwe saw the danger of this creature and took deep counsil with himself how to stop it. Eventually he did something unprecidented. He created a weapon, a sword to be more precise." The Maiar nodded towards Mattius' sheath.
"Angmarth!?" screamed the Elf Man.
"Angmarth," echoed the Protector, "was created by Manwe himself, he presented it to the greatest Elven warrior on Middle-Earth; your ancestor. But he did not succeed, nor did any of his line for many years. The beast seemed to simply dissapear from Middle-Earth. That was until your father found it in the Misty Mountains by chance. He was killed as you know but the sword and its heir were saved." Mattius looked deep into the Protector's eyes.
"You, was it you who saved me?" The small man scratched his head thinking.
"I am the Head Protector. But now the time has truely come to reveal the true powers of the sword created by Manwe. He believes you are truely gifted and connect with the blade, Angmarth will be revealed to you."
"Revealed?" questioned Mattius. The man hopped off the wall.
"Hand me Angmarth Firnlord." Mattius did as he was told. The Protector laid the sword down and chanted in an unknown language to Mattius. A brilliant red light then lit the sky and the ground shook. The sword on the floor shone white and then there was silence again.
"Take Angmarth Firnlord." Mattius picked up the sword and saw it had changed. The helm was the shape of a Gold Eagle, its talons the handle and its wings the balance. Its beak was open and facing upwards and from inside the beak the blade itself shot upwards, white as snow and cold as ice. Mattius turned to the Head Protector.
"It has been done and now I must leave the physical world but I will always be with you in great times of need Firnlord." The Maiar tapped his head. "Farewell!" With a puff of smoke he was gone, leaving Mattius alone in the mist once more with a new Angmarth. He sheathed it and was about to walk away when the Protectors voice spoke to him in his head. I told you I would be with you in great times of need and it seems you are in great need now Firnord. Turn around, that is the way to your companions. Do not tell them of what has passed here, this is between your family line, the Protectors and Manwe himself. Now go! They seek thee!
Old 11-03-2002, 08:12 PM   #82
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Calentoliel could not sleep at all. Her heart ached for what danger Mattius could possibly be in. She knew he was out alone, swordless, and yet no matter how much she tried, she could not tell her companions this. Calentoliel began to wonder if she would ever be able to use her voice again.

Calentoliel sat deep in thought about where Mattius could be. He had disappeared many times this night for reasons she did not know. Did Mattius wander off again, perhaps in search of his sword? Or perhaps he was taken away against his own will. Was it possible that Mattius was captured? Calentoliel shook her head. If Mattius was captured by something, why were the rest of them left unharmed?

And then Calentoliel made her decision. She had to know what happened to Mattius. If Mattius was in trouble, he would not hold out long with his smaller weapons. She glanced at her companions. They all appeared to be asleep. Though she may be mute, Calentoliel knew she was the only one who could help Mattius if he was in danger.

And so, without further hesitation, Calentoliel slipped away into the night. She was so focused on finding her missing friend, that she did not notice the dark shadow that passed her and surrounded the others, whom she left behind.
Old 11-03-2002, 09:25 PM   #83
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

"Greetings, Child of Sight," said the shadow.

"Only you would give me such a title, Bringer of Sight," she whispered under her breath. Standing up, she left the circle and went out into the darkness, despite the danger. She was beginning to suppose the spirit was her guardian.

Once the company was out of sight, the shadow let itself down in front of Endereth. "So you recieved my message," it stated. "That is good."

"I am not so sure," Ender grumbled. "To see through another's eyes is to see their minds. I do not want this ability."

"You haven't a choice in the matter," the shadow snapped. "It is a gift that I was asked to bear to you, and it will help guide you through your quest. You can ward off the shadow now and find the truth."

Ender put a hand to her forehead as she leaned against a tree. "Why me? Why have I been chosen, out of so many who suffer, to embark on this perilous quest?"

"I am not at liberty to answer," said the spirit. "In time you shall know."

"I have not the time for such riddles," Ender burst out angrily. "I only wish to slay this beastly creature and roam the wilderness freely again."

"Then you shall have as is your wont," the spirit said. Ender felt like slaying the guardian right that moment, but she did not, for she then heard a great clamor and screams of terror above on the hilltop. Turning away, her blade rang out as it drew, and she raced to aid her companions.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:14 AM   #84
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Your companions are in need, they have been attacked and you must help them. I will leave you now, it may be some time before I speak to you again but I will leave you with the words Manwe told me to tell you. 'Angmarth does not make you invincible, it has powers that you will not understand but you must believe in yourself, do that and you will succeed.' The voice was gone and it was silence. Such strange things have come to pass thought Mattius to himself. Was this really happening or had the bump on his head led him to belive a voice was talking to him? No, he thought, it had spoken to him before he hit his head. Just at that second the silent was broken by the all too familiar sound of clashing weapons and screaming hobbits. From about a hundred feet away a great light flamed the air. Radagast, thought Mattius. I better not dissapoint him if he is sending out a signal for help. He began to run towards the area but bumped into a figure running diagonally across from him. They both stood and drew their weapons.
"Keep up your bright sword Endereth, for the dew will rust it." With just a wry smile she signalled him to follow her and soon the scenes of battle came into sight. There were many creatures there, and it was the first time Mattius had seen their type- these were the Barrow-Wights. The evil spirits of Demons long dead were attacking their friends when Endereth and Mattius jumped into the fight.
"Angmarth!" shouted Mattius before slaying his first and moving on to the next.

[ November 04, 2002: Message edited by: Mattius ]
Old 11-04-2002, 05:35 PM   #85
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Calentoliel wandered not long before she heard shouts and swords clanging in the direction she had come from. Calentoliel stopped in her tracks, fearing what kind of danger her friends could be in. Now she would have to have to make a decision. Would she go back and help the others or would she continue her search for Mattius?

Calentoliel never did make a decision, for at that moment a hot breath blew across the back of her neck. Calentoliel reached for her sword, but a hand stopped her, wrapping tightly around her wrist. Calentoliel quickly realized that the hand belonged to her previous attacker, which she now knew was the same creature that attacked Endereth many days ago.
"You foolish thing," the creature hissed. "You use your magic on me and then I steal it."
Calentoliel struggled to get free of the creature's strong grip, but to no avail.
"Your friends also have magic. Much indeed," the creature continued. "And soon enough, I will steal their's also. My master will have much use for all this magic. Yes, he will, indeed."
Calentoliel resisted the creature again, and this time she was able to get free. She pulled out her sword and came face to face with her enemy, who was though small and cloaked, also appeared to be deadly.
"It would be unwise of you to fight me," the creature said. "For you will fail."
Calentoliel ignored its words and with all her rage and anger, swung her sword at it. But she had missed. Mysteriously, the creature had disappeared out of nowhere. Calentoliel turned around in confusion wondering where it had possibly gone. It was then that Calentoliel was struck on the back of the head by an invisible source. She stumbled, her head overwhelming with pain. She could hear the shouts of someone grow louder. It was last thing Calentoliel heard before everything went dark.
Old 11-09-2002, 10:03 AM   #86
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Radagast was no swordsman. He used his staff to fight hand to hand as peasant men might do. He had rarely any need to fight but found it came to him naturally enough when such a need arose. He had sent a flare into the sky. A skill he thought he had long forgotten hoping to scare away their attackers and perhaps alert his friends close by to their plight. All it had done was illuminate the company and show them to e almost all missing. By his side were only Rothalle and Faye. All others had vanished into the night. The very thing he had warned them not to.
The Barrow-wights surrounded them. Rothalle wielded her own blade with deft precision. Heads and limbs were parted from bodies in an arc about her. Faye carried no weapon and found herself scratching in the earth for stones with which to pelt their advisaries. When they came to close for that and made to grab at her she kicked and punched, slapped and sratched with all her might. Radagast weilded his staff above her head, attempting to protect her.
The glow from the flare was fading. They would soon be over run. Faye had already been pulled away twice. Radagast grabbed her about the waist and yanked her free.
"Behind me for goodness sake," he snapped and shoved her between Rothalle and himself.
Rothalle grew weary from the constant onslaught. Her arms swung lower. Her hacks less powerful. The creatures almost had them.
Radagast shouted out, "Get thee to the world's end!" From somewhere in his ancient knowledge an incantation came to him. Slowly he began to recite.
A barrow-wight struck Rothalle. A cut in her sword arm opened up. The blade cut through cloak, sleve and flesh. She shrieked and fell back against Radagast. He continued to chant. The wights pawed at the hem of his gown. They began to tug at Rothalle who clung to his belt with her good hand. The other hung limp but still clasped her sword. Faye had one arm about Radagast's waist and held onto Rothalle's shoulder with the other, trying to keep hold as they tried to pull her away. Her own cloak was being yanked at from behind. Still Radagast chanted. Suddenly he stopped.
"It's no good my children. I cannot remember how it ends. We are lost. All is lost. I have failed you all."
Old 11-10-2002, 02:10 PM   #87
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

"Aure entuluva!" came the cry of two voices.

Radagast and the others lifted their heads to see the two warriors Mattius and Endereth standing at the edge of the clearing, side by side, their blades drawn. For the moment they seemed archangels sent by the Valar, invincible warriors sent to rid the world of evil. The barrow-wights shrank back in fear. These were two whose guardians kept a constant watch. The two glanced briefly at each other before attacking with such ferocity that their opponents jumped back before rushing them.

Ender slashed and stabbed at the pallid forms around her, aiming mainly at their arms and hands. She heard their shrieks as they recoiled from the blows that had been dealt to them. Momentarily, there were none who could gain the upper hand, so she looked toward the horizon. Through a thin space in the trees, she could see a thin white line form in the darkness. Dawn would soon come.

Mattius' and Endereth's eyes met. "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" he asked her as he hacked at an attacking wight.
"If what you're thinking is what I'm thinking," Endereth said with a sly grin, "then to the barrows!"

Radagast, Faye, Olo and Rothalle seemed to understand what they meant as they saw the first sign of dawn. Running faster than any of them ever had, they took their path to a long row of barrows, which they positioned themselves to block. Turning, they saw themselves being pursued by an onslaught of angry barrow-wights. Shrieking and moaning, the hideous spirits jumped at the fighters, only to be volleyed back by the blows of sword, staff, knife and body. Even as they fought, the sky began to glow with a golden light, and the wights shrank back further westward, fearing and hating the sunlight as a snaga fears its master. Soon the company would be rid of their menace.
Old 11-11-2002, 05:13 PM   #88
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

As the full circle of the low winter sun rose above the horizon Mattius took a quick look over his shoulder before ceasing his sprint. He sheathed his white blade and called to the others to stop running. They stood around him with their hands on their knees attempting to catch their breath, especially the hobbits.
"What happened to Calentoliel, Rothalle?" Mattius asked without turning his view from where they had just come.
"I do not know where my sister is or how she is. But since it is day we should search for her." The hobbits agreed but Radagast spoke up against such a move.
"It would be a crime against common sense if we were to go back into the barrow downs. If we get trapped in their at night we would be done for." Endereth sheathed her sword and spoke.
"What do you suggest?" Radagast straightened himself up and looked away in the distance.
"I suggest we go and find the place we were originally trying to get to, an old friend of mine if you must know. He is the master of this land and he will take us to Calentoliel. In fact, I would be surprised if she wasn't at his house by the time we get there!" Mattius looked up.
"Bombadil's house?"
"Very good Mattius," said Radagast impressed, "you have learnt much from the elves of Lorthlorien. Yes Tom Bombadil is the friend of whom I speak and I should think that his house is a mere few hours walk from here. Let us set forth!" Radagast led the way followed by the two excited hobbits. Enderth spoke with Rothalle reasuring her that they would find Calentoliel while Mattius strolled along with Rothalle's horse talking to it softly.
Old 11-11-2002, 08:05 PM   #89
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Sting

When Calentoliel awoke, it was already daylight. The throbbing pain in her head reminded her what had happened the previous night. Calentoliel sat up, rubbing her eyes to clear her vision. The pounding in her head was so painful, she could not think clearly. She brought her hand to the back of her head, where it hurt most. Just touching the wound disgusted Calentoliel. It was deep and though the bleeding had stopped, it was evident that she lost a large amount of blood. Her hair was matted in it, all sticky and tangled, causing her hair to be much heavier than usual.

Calentoliel was furious with the sneaky, dark creature that had attacked her. More than ever she wanted to hunt it down and kill it. How the thing stole her voice, Calentoliel did not know, but she knew that she must get her voice back before the black beast got hold of it.

But that would have to wait. Calentoliel was too weak to hunt down anything. First and foremost, she had to find her companions. Something had happened to them last night, and Calentoliel prayed that they were all right. She was sure that they were in better condition than her, even Mattius who possibly had already reunited with them.
Figures, Calentoliel thought. She was foolish to have run off in the first place, and now she would have to find a way to get back to them, as weak as she was.

Very slowly, Calentoliel stood up. She stumbled a few steps, then fell back against a tree, vomiting. She did not realize how dizzy she was. How was she supposed to continue this way?

She sat back down and leaned against the tree, breathing hard. Calentoliel was frightened by the fact that she could not even walk a few steps. But she would not give up. She couldn’t. Calentoliel didn’t even want to think of the possibilities of what would happen if she stayed here another night. She would have to go on, whatever sacrifices it may take.

Calentoliel stripped off her layers of clothing until she was down to a light tunic and leggings. She kept her cloak, for she knew she would later regret it if she didn't. She threw off all her weapons, except for her sword and a small knife. Whatever Calentoliel didn't need, she took off. Being as weak as she was, she did not need any unecessary weight.
Then hesitantly, Calentoliel took the small knife and cut off several strands of her hair. She was resistant to doing this, but she knew that her matted hair was adding too much extra weight that she did not need. Instead of cutting it, Calentoliel wished to wash her hair and clean her wound before it became infected, but there was no water nearby.
Once she was done cutting, her hair was a shorter, uneven, and still matted. But through it all, the hacking of her hair proved quite useful, for Calentoliel's head felt much lighter and the pain eased a bit.

For the second time, Calentoliel stood up. Still holding on to the tree, she took a few steps without stumbling. She paused, steadying herself, then let go of the tree. Gingerly, she took a few more steps without the support of the tree. Oh, how Calentoliel's head throbbed and she could feel blood trickling down the back of her neck as her wound reopened, but she did not fall.
Taking a deep breath, Calentoliel regained her strength. Then, she continued down the trail in search of her friends.
Old 11-12-2002, 03:08 PM   #90
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

Radagast marched purposefully toward the little house that had materialised before them, as if it had grown out of the ground. He was weary but loathe to show it. Inside he still felt as if he had failed in his role of wizard in their quest. He had always led a quiet life. He had long forgotten most of the powers vested in him and of course he knew that was why he was involved. He must face the black beast just as the young folk with whom he travelled must face it and thereby bring the final peace to Middle Earth. His old friend the Eagle Lord and suggested as much when he had said that he would seek out the beast in vengence for the death of his son. The king of the Eagles had told him that Mattius was the key: setting right much that must be done. He just wished his brain did not feel so inadequate for such a task and hoped the boy did not know he leaned on him so much. He was also dependant upon Rothalle a great deal for though she did not know it her powers were more than a match for his and if only he could spend some short time in training her with what little skill he did posess he was sure great things would become of her.
They had reached the door of the little house. Smoke curled invitingly from the chimney and the happy chatter of the hobbits ceased. The winter sun illuminated a homely place and a calmness came to Radagast and the others in its grounds.
"Well," enquired Faye. "Shall we knock or do we just enter unanounced? I swear I shall fade away completely without some breakfast."
"We shall show our manners hobbitess no matter what we have been through upon the Barrows." Radagast snapped at her and walked purposefully to the door.
"I care not for breakfast when I know that Calentoliel is still out there, unprotected," Endereth called out to Radagast in disgust.
"If you partake of no meals you will have to strenght to aid the song sister!" Radagast's tone was grim indeed. He turned to knock upon the door but as his staff tapped upon the ancient wood the door swung open, unlatched.
Old 11-12-2002, 04:39 PM   #91
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

The two hobbits snuck under Radagast and poked their heads through the open door.
"Hullo!" shouted Faye. Radagast hurmmphed and managed to push the two of them out of the way.
"What did I just say to you! Manners foolish hobbits. Try to keep your hungry bellies at the back of your mind for just a while longer." The two of them backed off slightly ashamed. Radagast sighed and turned to the door again speaking to himself. He knocked on it again and spoke softly.
"Master Bombadil?" There was no answer.
"No-one home," said Enderth, arms crossed. The group were silent. Mattius was half waiting for the voice to speak to him in his head to tell him what to do. There came no sound, must be easier to solve he thought. He cracked his knuckles and sucked a deep breath through his nose.
"I can smell food," he said as if he were a child. The others sniffed the air and soon they could smell it too, small at first but getting stronger with every breath. Meats, bread, stew- the hobbits spirts picked up massivly. Radagast looked at the door and then Rothalle.
"Should we enter Radagast?" The wizard weighed the situation up. No-one was home, it was possible that it was a trap but nothing could enter Bombadil's house without his permission. AH! he thought, that is it. Mattius read his expression.
"Looks like you have figured something out Radagast," he said.
"Perhaps I have my young friend. Bombadil is master here, nothing can enter his home without his or Goldberry's permission. I suspected it was a trap but I don't believe that it is possible. So, we can try to enter and if we are successful then the master must have allowed us!" The hobbits seemed confused but the others grasped his point.
"Either way we don't have a choice," said Mattius. Radagast seemed confident in the idea and pushed the door open further.

As they walked onto the wooden floor the smell of food engulfed all the senses. It could be seen on the table, smelt in the air and heard cooking on the stove.
"Look at this!" shouted Faye jumping up and down with a piece of paper in her hand. Radagast took it from her.
"Dearest Radagast, if you are reading this then welcome to my home, it has been too long my friend! I am afraid that I am out at the moment, I believe that one of your friends is in a bit of trouble. Goldberry has gone into the forrest to pick flowers. I knew that you would have hobbits with you so I prepared food, help yourselves and see you soon, Tom." Like lightening the hobbits shot off to the table.
"Well, what more is there to say!" said Radagast as he walked over and tucked in to the meal.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:10 PM   #92
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

There were some in the group that were so hungry they cared not which order in which they ate their courses. Plates were filled with game pie alongside scones and freshley baked bread. Radagast found himself as guilty as the hobbits of gorging, remembering the last hearty meal he had partaken of was in the Shire. Once filled he settled back on a chair in the inglenook of the fire, scooped up the hem of his brown habit clear of the warm cinders and set about with his pipe. There he remained, seeming to be peacefully smoking as the others ate, chattered and even fell asleep. His head was filled with woes. Troubled by his own failings and troubled by the loss of Calentoliel. Rothalle, her own sister seemed unblighted by her absence but Endereth was silent, sullen and unlike the remainder of the company ate little. He sighed. He hoped his friends would return soon. He had great faith in Tom Bombadil, perhaps his wisdom would prevail where his had failed.
Finally he let his eyes settle upon Mattius. He was passing food to young Faye and listening intently to whatever she was saying through a mouth filled with food. Radagast the Brown allowed himself a smile. Perhaps, just perhaps everything would be solved.
The smile vanished. Calentoliel was still unaccounted for.
Old 11-15-2002, 05:47 PM   #93
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Sting

Calentoliel had been walking for over an hour. She walked at an extremely slow pace, and still had not left the barrow downs.

Though she had not gone far and had taken many rests, Calentoliel felt as if she had been walking for an eternity. Her feet were sore and blistered. Her limbs ached. A sharp pain came from her upper back. But most of all, it was Calentoliel's head that hurt. The pain was intense. She had become so dizzy and her vision was so blurred that Calentoliel no longer knew which way she was going. And the walking was no good for her wound. It bled freely, and she could not find any way to stop it. She had lost so much blood.
And now, after an hour of walking, Calentoliel was beginning to feel feverish. Her clothes were damp with sweat and she was shivering.

Calentoliel had not gone much further before she fell to her knees. Her strength had finally given out, and she could no longer continue. Calentoliel looked about her, searching for any sign of hope. When she failed to find it, Calentoliel looked up into the sky, gazing through the grey clouds and into the bright sun, for what she believed to be the last time. She then closed her eyes and lost consciousness for the third time in a single day.

[ November 20, 2002: Message edited by: Brinniel ]
Old 11-17-2002, 02:46 PM   #94
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

Endereth watched as the company gorged themselves on the spread which Bombadil had prepared for them. She cared not much for food. Several times in her life she had gone a few weeks without so much as a few handfuls of water, and she was also too worried abot Calentoliel to eat. Over and over in her mind, she saw her friend staggering half-dead through the woods, pale, hungry and unable to take a few steps without resting. The fact that she was now mute helped not at all.

Endereth tried to restrain herself through the day, but when both Bombadil and Goldberry were finally home, Radagast began to tell them the company's story. Ender's heart began to race as she saw Calentoliel again and again, each time her suffering becoming worse and worse. Finally, without realizing, Ender stopped Radagast in mid-sentence, jamming her sword between the floorboards with a loud THUD.
Old 11-17-2002, 06:13 PM   #95
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dűm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

Startled by the thud, Faye fell off her chair. 'Goodness Endereth.' She said rubbing her head. Faye got up and climbed back onto the chair and began to stuff her face with muffins. 'How could you all eat at a time like this?' Endereth said angerly. 'Calentoliel is still out there! What if she is dead? Don't any of you care!' The room was silent and all eyes where on Endereth. Radagast stood up. 'My dear Endereth, Calentoliel is still alive. She is a very brave woman indeed and I know for a fact that she is still alive.' Endereth, looking annoyed, sat down and crossed her arms. I guess Radagast is right she thought to herself as she looked around the room. Maybe she is still alive.
Old 11-18-2002, 04:05 PM   #96
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

Radagast hoped the young Ranger did not see into his heart. He spoke the truth when he said that he believed her still alive. He felt her pulse as he did all living creatures but to be so definate, so strong. Radagast knew that was merely an act. He knew not where she was or how he could help her. He had failed them all on the Downs. Perhaps this was his trial. Perhaps it was the responsibility of Radagast the Brown, the shame of the Istari to find her. He looked into the flames that flickered brightly in the hearth, his back to the company. Deep and troublesome thoughts chased each other through his mind.
Old 11-20-2002, 04:31 PM   #97
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

OOC: Sorry to not finish my last post. I was interrupted.

Ender stood up in defiance almost immediately afterward, her blood boiling. "I'm not going to sit here while Calentoliel suffers," she hissed. "I'm going out to find her, and I am going now. Mr. Bombadil, you wouldn't mind if I borrowed a horse?" she asked politely.

Tom was so surprised at her fury that he coudln't refuse. "Of course, there should be one right outside."

Ender quickly wiped her sword with a rag before turning to her companions. She looked at each one, and, seeing that they were unwilling to return to the cursed downs where their friend was trapped, gave a sigh. "Expect me back in a few days... a week at most."

"You can't go it alone, Ender!" cried Mattius. "Why not stay here a while, have something to eat?"

Endereth smiled ruefully at him. "Not hungry," she said. "And until I met all of you, I was alone. This shall be no different, except that I shan't be wandering anymore." And with these final words, she closed the door to Tom Bombadil's house. Jumping onto the back of the mare standing outside, she watched the lights of the house getting smaller and smaller as she was swallowed by the darkness of the barrow-downs.

[ November 20, 2002: Message edited by: Ithaeliel ]
Old 11-20-2002, 05:38 PM   #98
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Mattius was in the most beautiful house he had seen since he had left Lorien nigh on twelve months ago. It was night and most of the group were asleep except for Tom who spoke with Radagast softly next to the fire. They seemed to be in deep discussion so bothering them would be a mistake. Mattius sat up on the side of his bed. He rubbed his temples hard thinking what to do. It was night and Endereth was out there alone. Why was no-one going to help her? The Wights, the fear was too close to their hearts. Mattius looked up at the two magical figures of Radagast and Tom and for a split second Tom turned and they met eyes. Just as quick, he turned his gaze and attention to the wizard once more. Mattius sighed. This was insane, he could not let her go out alone, even if she was a Ranger. But he still feared to leave, he had suffered. He bowed his head again and the voice spoke. They fear you, they fear what you are and what you can become. Go forth into the night, they need your help! With that he silently crept towards the door, without ever knowing Tom had turned and watch him leave, smiling proudly.
Old 11-25-2002, 03:36 PM   #99
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

"He has gone hasn't he my old friend?" Radagast whispered as he stared into the glow of the dying embers.
"Yes, he has." Tom smiled and allowed the smoke from his pipe to curl up the chimney in random swirls. "No one has thought to ask where she is." Tom observed.
"By whom you mean our fellow host and not our waylaid friends, do you not?" Radagast continued sotto voice. "She intends their proctection?"
"Who am I to say? Goldberry is free but she feels their pain as you and I do. Let us say there are three who seek your companion upon those downs and one of those will pass unseen." Tom replied mystically.
"Ah dear Tom, you speak in riddles I would be proud of." Radagast sighed. "I fear I have failed them all dear friend. I should be strong and wise for this company. I should be guiding them. I lean upon the boy and Rothalle too much."
"I am sure the time will come to pass Radagast that you will feel a true wizard yet,it is merely that your moment is not come. Each of you seek something that is missing from your existance. Something that the Beast feeds upon. Destroy the Beast and you will fulfill your destiny or deny it food and it will be starved out of these lands."
"How can we stop it feeding, when it goes where it pleases with scant regard to anything or anyone?" Radagast sighed and sat back in his chair in the inglenook.
He was suddenly aware of a cough at his side. He turned sharply to see Faye looking at him directly.
"That's not what Tom Bombadil means," she said quietly. "I'm a hobbit, I know all about food. This isn't a matter of normal food. Tom said it feeds on what is missing in our lives and that is the food we've got to deny it. We have to become whole to defeat the Beast. Honestly, Radagast, you really are as hopeless as you feel." She gave an exasperated snort and bedded back down upon the floor.
"Amazing creatures, aren't they?" Tom Bombadil laughed and even Radagast raised a smile.
It was quite the opposite of the foreboding world outside on the downs.
Old 11-29-2002, 04:12 PM   #100
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

Ender rode swiftly through a maze of trees and brambles. Her mount was indeed fast, faster than many horses she had ridden in her day. But the speed of the mare didn't compensate for the fact that Ender had totally forgotten a light, and, because the moon was new, she often would run into things that she would have normally not. But she could still hear, and when the pounding of the mare's hooves suddenly echoed behind, she heard it. Stopping short, she beckoned her mount to hide (it wasn't hard; the horse's coat was dark as well as the sky) and crouched behind a tree, sword drawn. The heavy steps of another horse grew louder and louder, going more slowly all the while. As the head came into view, Ender readied herself for a spring. Seeing the rider's face, she relaxed. It was Mattius.

"I thought you might follow me here," she said as she approached.

Mattius retained a serious expression. "We musn't waste any more time. We have to find Calentoliel quickly."

The two rode on for another long mile in the darkness before Ender caught scent of something familiar. "We've not far to go. In fact, she should be..." she trailed off as she caught sight of a limp figure lying on the ground, a dry trickle of blood on the corner of her mouth.
Old 11-30-2002, 03:30 PM   #101
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

"Is it her?" asked Endereth. Matttius didn't take his gaze from the body down below them. It looked like it could be Calentoleil.
"Somethings... not right here," he got out finally. It was silent and cold, very cold. Mattius reached out behind his back and under his cloak and pulled out his thin, cone straw hat. He saw Enderth looking at him funny.
"What is this?" she asked.
"It was my fathers and was made for him by Galadriel before she departed these shores. It has always help keep me calm in times of fear. I feel I should wear it from now on."
"So be it," she replied. They both turned their attention back to the figure on the floor. Without a word Mattius began to dismount the steed who neighed quietly at losing the extra weight.
"Now I see why you needed an extra bit of courage Mattius, but fear not, I will appraoch too, to see if it is Calentoliel."
"No," said Mattius, "don't do that, if its a trap then you will need to go get help from Tom and Radagast." Ender agreed after while, she wasn't used to doing thigs this way.

Mattius drew Angmarth and the white blade shone brilliantly, cutting the surrounding darkness. Foot by foot he approached the crumpled figure. With a massive sigh of relief he saw it was Calentoliel, but she was unconcious. After sheathing his weapon he lifted up her head to check the wound but a horrible vision suddnenly shot into his mind and for three seconds it was all he could see, a winged beast, cruel and twisted with red, rotting flesh. He opened his eyes again and turned around to see Ender sat on the horse looking confused.
"Well, is it her?" He didn't have time to answer as from Ender's left came a great rushing of wings, they both turned and Mattius saw it was the thing from his vision. As quick as a flash he pulled one of the tomahalk axes from his back, a gift from the Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain, and threw it spinning towards the flying creature. With its massive body only inches from Ender the axe struck it in the side of the neck, sending it spinning away amist screams of holwing pain, screams that would awaken other creatures in the Downs. Ender was still in a state of shock when Mattius jumped on the horse behind her with Calentoliel layed across his lap.
"Go go go!!" He screamed as she snapped out of the fear and kicked the horse's side.
Old 12-01-2002, 04:55 PM   #102
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

Drowsy from food, travel and the warmth of the fire, both Tom and Radagast had slid into sleep on either side of the hearth.
The ear-wrenching shriek had jolted both them and the whole remaining party back to conciousness.
"The Beast?" Radagast stared at his old friend in horror.
"Aye, as is might be." Bombadil replied. He stood up slowly. "Rothalle, are you awake girl?" He asked of the shape that seemed to be sat bolt upright upon the floor.
"Yes."
"You and the hobbitess light every candle in this house and place it at every window." They did not question him but ran to collect candles, first from the long table and then from where their host directed them.
"Can you still cause a little light Radagast?" Tom turned and asked him.
"Aye, that I can do." Radagast replied. "I see what you have in mind old friend. I have heard that ships lost upon the sea may make for a lighthouse and use it to guide them home. We seek to do the same with your abode and make it a lighthouse for those upon the Downs do we not?"
"Yes, indeed." Tom said as he left the room and headed across to the woodstore. Radagast followed. Already candles were burning in each window in one side of the house, letting their homely glow illuminate their close environs.
"Give us a fire Radagast. Light them home." Tom shouted, hurling a pile of sticks on the grass at his feet.
Radagast breathed in deeply. Another un-natural shriek pierced the air. It was matched by the bellow from his mouth. The flames began to rise. Rothalle and the others ran out onto the grass before the house. Undertanding their intend, Faye ran to the woodstore and like Tom gathered armfulls to add to Radagast's bonfire. The flames grew taller still, but brought no harm to those who fed them. They glowed pure and white and lit up the sky in tongues of fire that reached higher than the house roof. All the time Radagast was chanting. Chanting as he had not done in a thousand years. This time he would not fail them. This time.
Old 12-01-2002, 06:47 PM   #103
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

Ender ducked her head as the horse tore her way through the trees, all the while being pursued by what Ender knew to be the beast. Looking back at Mattius and Calentoliel, she saw the shadow of the beast flying behind them in its terrifyingly swift gait, waiting for the opportunity to pounce. Turning her attention to the road ahead, she saw a brief glimpse of light that flashed through the woods, and then it was gone.
"The others must be lighting the way for us," said Mattius as he ducked a tree branch. "I knew they'd come through!"

A ray of hope escaped into Ender's heart... but it was only a moment before all of it was ruined.

A familiar shadow-- one Endereth knew as her guardian spirit-- stumbled suddenly in front of the mare. She gave a whinny of fright and bucked, sending Endereth flying into the ground. Mattius tried to turn the horse around, but Ender saw that this was her guardian's way of saying, "It is time."

"Ride, Mattius!" she screamed after the horse. "Ride! Ri..."
As she spoke the last word, her limbs seemed to freeze, and she would have been taken had the spirit not driven the black beast at bay. Pulling out her sword with much pain and labor, she stood and turned to face the aura that was her enemy. "So here it ends," she muttered. "Or does it begin?"
Old 12-03-2002, 05:02 PM   #104
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

"Enderth!" Mattius shouted as he looked back to see the Ranger grow smaller and smaller. He tried with all his might to get the horse to turn back but it refused fiercly; it had seen the light from Tom's house and it was racing foward with all its might. With his left hand Mattius held on to the reign whilst with the right he desperatly tried clung on to Calentoliel's limp body. Different thoughts were racing through his head, the Beast was back there and Enderth too. It was still deep night too, likely that lots of Barrow Wights would be on the prowl. Not good.

The horse was only a few hundred yards away from the house now and Radagast came running up to Mattius.
"Hand me Calentoliel!" He yelled, "And come into the house, the Beast is afoot!" Mattius handed down the maiden to Radagast.
"I can't come in yet, Endereth is still back there, she fell off the horse." Mattius tried to turn the horse around but the animal refused to go back towards the Beast.
"Wait wait!" said Radagast. The wizard rubbed the mare's shivering head and whispered into its ears. "Now, be quick Mattius, Tom says Goldberry is out tonight too so look for her! Go!" With a kick the horse spun on its heels and sped off into the night. Radagast ran back to the wooden cabin with Calentoliel in his arms. In the distance he heard a cry go up from Mattius.

"Beast of Morgoth the day shall come when revenge shall destroy you- Angmarth, the Blade of Manwe is alight with hunger for thy flesh this night!"
Old 12-04-2002, 02:58 PM   #105
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

The others stood outside the house. They had ceased to feed the fire when Radagast had run from the garden before them. They had watched the shadowy exchange between Mattius and Radagast and now stood like statues as he returned apparently alone.

He ran past them a limp bundle in his arms, kicked the door to force it open and hurried into Tom's kitchen. Jolted from their stunned state they ran in after him. Tom alone, remained outside, steadly adding wood to the fire and watching for those who were still abroad.

"Clear the table!" Radagast bellowed, seeing no place to lay her down.

Rothalle flung the plates and glasses to the floor in her haste. Before the crashes had died down Radagast had lain Calentoliel upon the board.

For the first time they recognised her. Even in the orange glow of the fire she looked deathly pale. The hood of her cloak was so soaked in blood that Radagast was forced to wipe his hand upon his habit once he had settled her head upon the wood. They were silent. Her tresses hacked away unevenly, her eyes closed, her clothes torn and dirty and an ugly wound to the nape of her neck. She barely breathed.

Radagast retrieved a piece of string from the purse that hung at his waist and tied back his hair. He leaned close and stroked her cool cheek with the tips of his fingers. His lips moved barely perceptively. Even Faye could not make out the words he spoke. They were ancient. Radagast spoke in a tongue far older than any member of the company. As he muttered he turned her tenderly onto her side to inspect the gash that sliced through hood and cloak and into flesh. He pulled away the remaining hanks of her hair. The wound was clearly visible to all. He pointed to Faye. "Water, cold, clear water." He returned to his incantations.
Faye did as she was bid, retrieving an unbroken bowl from the floor and filling it from the barrel at the opposite side of the room. The actions of all within that room illuminated by the candles which still burned on the sills.

Rothalle turned up the hem of her gown and tore away a small fragment of her underskirt. She handed it to Radagast who dipped it the bowl offered to him by Faye.

The only sounds in the room were the crackling of the fire, the breathing of the company and the constant muttering of Radagast. Carefully he cleaned the vile cut. Silently they waited. Calentoliel seemed not to breathe at all.
Old 12-04-2002, 03:37 PM   #106
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Mattius encouraged the horse foward in the darkness. In his haste he was sure he had gone ever so slightly of course. Suddenly the mare buckled and threw Mattius clean off. With a thud he landed on his backside before standing up and attempting to regain control of the animal. I must not linger, he thought. With a wild neigh the horse turned and ran back towards the house. It seemed the words of Radagast had not held on long enough. Well, thought Mattius, they probably would have if I followed the correct path.

He stood there twisting and turning his head trying to seek which way to go. His breathing was deep and loud but there was another sound, yes another. Mattius could hear almost silent footsteps but his elf hearing picked it up comming form behind him. He unsheathed his sword and spun around to be met by a woman dressed in gold. He was so taken back with surprise he stopped breathing for a second. It was Goldberry, both beautiful and ancient.
"Follow me Firnlord, I will take you to her," she spoke in almost a dreamlike whisper. Mattius did as he obeyed without even asking how she knew his true name and followed as she led him deeper into the night.
Old 12-04-2002, 07:19 PM   #107
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Sting

Though Radagast had cleaned Calentoliel's wound, he was not quick enough to save her from the fever that would nearly take her life.

As the fever raged through her body, Calentoliel dreamt of her enemies.

The cloaked creature came at her again and again, taunting and teasing her with images of itself, none seeming to be real. It clawed and tore at Calentoliel, never seeming to lose strength. It kept her from the others, who continued their endless search for her. And then, suddenly, from out of nowhere, a dark shape came at Calentoliel- the Black Beast. The cloaked creature- the beast's servant or other half had distracted Calentoliel from seeing Death itself.

Calentoliel awoke with a start, her mouth open in a silent scream. She shivered, cold from the sweat that soaked her to the bone. But her fever still raged.
Someone held her hand and Calentoliel opened her eyes to see who it was. It was an effort wasted, for her sight was blurred. She blinked several times in an effort to focus her eyes, but to no avail.
Calentoliel heard voices, though she could not understand what was being said. She tried to call out to the voices, but nothing came out. She tried to sit up, but discovered that she could not, and instead turned sideways, coughing up blood.
Hands gently placed Calentoliel on her back again as she gasped for breath. The hands stroked her chest softly, relaxing Calentoliel and easing her pain.
The last thing Calentoliel heard before she drifted back into a dreamless sleep were the whispers of an ancient tongue. It was a language that Calentoliel had recognized almost immediately. It was the language of her songs.
Old 12-05-2002, 08:30 PM   #108
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

Ender's eyes were locked onto the evil aura that now floated still and silent in the night. A chill ran up her spine, and before she knew what was happening she was combatting the fearsome spectre; now dodging its deadly lunge, now swiping at the great orb with her sword. Her attack was in vain, for the sword shattered upon contact with the black mist, and several shards flew into her, causing sharp pain to overtake her. She turned her head as her knees caved in, a look of pain and wistfulness upon her blood-covered face as she stared at the guardian. "Why do you stand there and do nothing?"
The spirit did not answer. Perhaps it did after all, but if so, Endereth did not hear. Her body went limp and she lost all sense as she slipped into her silent blackness.

When she came to, Ender was alone. Looking about, she saw a familiar scene... the forest below the blue mountains. She was on the same precipice as she had stood on so many days ago. She tried to walk forward, but she could not, nor could she speak. She was bound and gagged by a morgul spell, and knowing not any magic, she could not escape its foul hand. Suddenly she heard an ominous laugh, and from behind her came a figure of blackest heart and most terrible fear.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:45 AM   #109
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

Everyone in the kitchen began to feel almost hypnotised by the continuous chanting of Radagast. He seemed to have been doing it for hours.

They had settled in chairs around the table where Calentoliel lay, tended by the ancient wizard. Occasionally he would signal with a rapid movement of his hand that he needed one of them to fetch him more water,or cloth to soak up the blood.

The bleeding had finally been staunched but her palor was still unearthly. The wight's themselves would have taken her as their own. Still Radagast would not give up.
She had caused them all to jolt awake at one point when she suddenly sat bolt upright, as if to scream and yet no sound had issued from her lips. They had all rushed to her side uttering comforting words but after coughing up yet more blood she had slipped away from them again.

Radagast had ceased to bend over her and instead changed his position so that he sat,perched on the table's edge, one foot on the floor, one dangling as he looked down upon her. Regularly he wiped her forehead with a cold wet cloth that had been once part of Rothalle's underskirt. He stoked her cheek with his cool finger tips. He never ceased in his incantations. Radagast was facing his own personal beast while he tended Calentoliel. He could not allow her to die. He knew who she was and how important she was as was each member of the company in the destruction of the Beast. It was not merely that which made him so determined. He had grown immensely fond of all of them. He could not bare to lose a single one of their band. Once, long ago it would have been within his power to save her.

The others were now asleep and he alone kept vigil. The candles lit to guide the others home fizzled out. Tom remained outside tending the beacon fire so the one in the grate fell into grey embers with no one to watch it.

Still Radagast whispered Calentoliel's native tongue. The fever was breaking and he was too exhausted to notice.
Old 12-12-2002, 03:16 PM   #110
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

He had seen her, close enough to talk to her. And then she had dissapeared, with the other one. Mattius had seen Ender then she had dissapeared followed by Goldberry chanting something and then dissapearing into thin air herself, presumably to the same place.

Following their dissapearence the wights had appeared all around him and Mattius had to battle for a long time before they began to back off from his ever deadly sword Angmarth which shone with bright white fires.

As he limped through the night Mattius noticed a cut along his left arm, nothing to worry about he thought. After wandering in the direction he thought Tom's house was in he saw a small flame shoot up in the distance. He quickened his pace and soon the cottage came into full view. Tom was just going inside when Mattius reached the door. He walked in dripping blood on the wooden floor. They were all sleeping save Radagast and Tom who stood looking over Calentoliel.
"She... they dissapeared," he said, "into nothing and I don't know where they are." Mattius bowed his head in shame but Radagast looked confused,
"Who is 'they' my dear lad?" He asked.
"The Ranger, the Beast and Goldberry," said Tom without hesitation, "they have gone from these parts but Goldberry will keep her safe," he turned to Radagast, "for a short time." There was a deadly silence as the Wizard and Mattius thought this over.
"Ever in riddles my friend," said Radagast eventually, "but now I must turn my attention back to Calentoliel."
"How is she?" Asked Mattius walking over to her sprawled body.
"Not good but not gone either so there is still hope." He looked at the Elf. "Go and get some sleep Mattius, you need rest and the morning will help her more." Surprising even himself Mattius laughed,
"I am weary beyond measure Radagast but I don't think I could ever sleep again after what I have seen tonight. The nightmares scare me too much so I will help prepare our supplies as I am guessing that we will be leaving as soon as Calentoleil is okay." Radagast nodded as he turned to the maiden and began his chanting once more.
Old 12-15-2002, 03:20 PM   #111
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Sting

It was morning when Calentoliel's eyes fluttered open. She found herself staring up into the eyes of Radagast.
He smiled, and then said, "Good morning, Calentoliel. You do seem to be feeling better. We all feared that you were lost to us."
Calentoliel smiled back wearily, and then with the support of Radagast, slowly sat up. The aching returned to Calentoliel's head, reminding her what troubles she had stumbled upon, but oddly enough the rest of her body felt somewhat renewed. She felt much better than she ever remembered being.
Calentoliel looked around the room she was in, seeing old faces. Rothalle, Mattius, Faye, and Olo. She also saw Tom Bombadil smiling at her and suddenly realized that it was his house that she was currently in. But there was one face missing, and Calentoliel's heart nearly stopped knowing this. Where was Endereth?
She opened her mouth to ask this, but once again nothing came out. Instantly, Calentoliel was reminded of the dark creature that had caused all her troubles, and her anger towards it returned. Once again, Calentoliel looked around the room hoping that she perhaps missed seeing Endereth, but no, she still was not there. It was Tom who answered her silent question.
"Endereth has gone missing. But worry not. Goldberry will see that she is all right."
Still, Calentoliel had her doubts. One is not safe if they are missing. She knew that there was more than the black beast that was a threat to them. She knew what the creature that had attacked was. Most of all, she knew what it could do to Endereth.
Seeing the distress in Calentoliel's eyes, Radagast asked her, "Do you know something, Calentoliel? Do you believe you know what has happened to Endereth?"
Calentoliel closed her eyes, deep in thought. She opened them again and nodded her head yes.
"Won't you tell us?" asked Olo. "Please?"
Calentoliel stared at him blankly. Yes, she wished to tell them her knowledge so much. She knew that she must. It may be the only way to save Ender. But how? She had no voice to tell them. Yet she may never get it back if she didn't. Calentoliel gritted her teeth in frusteration.
Old 12-15-2002, 04:28 PM   #112
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

Ender stared in utter horror at the ghastly shape before her. In appearance it was an Istar, with long black matted hair and beard and wearing a torn and tattered silvery robe. His hands were but skin and brittle bones, and his face was thin and white with sunken black eyes and an expression of grim death. In his right hand was an ebony staff, and in his left was the blackish aura Ender knew as the illusory black beast. "By Iluvatar... the living dead," she whispered to herself. "Who are you?" she stammered.

The figure laughed, and the mere sound made her blood run cold. "I am he who thou hast sought," he said in a dreadful hiss. Ender knew his voice as the one she heard that night in the cave. "And you know who this is," he continued, gesturing to the Black Beast. Ender thought she heard it whisper the word "hate."

"Ah, yes, my dear," the old man said to the beast. "We hate the ranger from Lorien, don't we? Never you worry, soon she'll never see thee again." He turned back to Ender, a scowl marking his grave features. "Thou and the rest of thy traveling friends have caused her enough trouble. I only managed to attain one of the gifts before I caught thee," he snarled.

Endereth suddenly realized what was going on. "It was you, then! Because of you, Calentoliel's tongue is gone."
"Indeed, o perceptive ranger thee. Though perceptive, thou art a fool. Thou did not manage to see thine own gift. Look to the east! I shall give thee thy last before it is forever lost to thee."
Ender turned her head toward the east as the old man commanded, and to her great surprise she found she was in a great hall. There she saw such glorious figures as the Elven-kings, Beren and Luthien... and she saw little Nessa, who sat alone in a corner, huddled in grievance, tears streaming down her face. Ender took a step forward and was suddenly passing by the great faces of the deceased kings and queens...

...deceased. They were dead, as was little Nessa. Ender gasped, realizing she was in the Halls of Mandos, where all who were not accursed came after taking leave from Middle-earth. But she was actually there. Was she not dead also? She tried to reach out for Nessa's hand, but just as she was about to clasp it, the vision disappeared. She was again trapped on a peak in the Blue Mountains. "Ah-ah-ah," said a teasing voice from behind. "We won't go so far as to allow that. Thou hast had thy chance to percieve thy gift, and now it must be taken."

She could bridge the gap between death and life. What a fool she'd been! It was the only reason she could see her spirit, the true form of the black beast, and most likely the man before her. Now it would all be lost. "NO!" she cried out, and she uttered a strange vexation that she had not known before but simply heard from inside her soul, and the black beast began to shudder, a horrible noise rising from within its ethereal form. As it shrieked and shattered into pieces, Ender heard a song flying away over the mountains toward the west. Calentoliel would soon have her song again. As for Ender, she would not be so lucky.

[ December 16, 2002: Message edited by: Ithaeliel ]
Old 12-24-2002, 02:17 AM   #113
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Sting

Olo Gamwich nodded, almost seeming to read Calentoliel's thoughts as he reached into his pack only to pull out a piece of blank parchment along with a quill and black ink.
How strange it was for him to bring these items on a journey out of the Shire, Calentoliel thought. It made her even more curious about this hobbit.
Calentoliel hesitated before accepting these writing materials Olo had to offer her. It had been many years since she had used words on paper to communicate. But she knew that it was the only way. If she did not tell the others what she knew, Ender may be lost for good.
She picked up the quill and dipped it into the ink. And then she pressed the quill onto the parchment. Calentoliel's hand felt tense and awkward as she formed her words into the Elvish runes that she had learned long ago. It was a long time, nearly a half an hour before she finished writing.
When Calentoliel finally was done, she handed the parchment over to Radagast. He studied it carefully, his face growing more and more concerned as he read every word. When he finished reading silently, he begun to read aloud:

I know what it was that attacked me, and I know that it was not the black beast. Or at least you could say that it is not the beast that we hunt for. The creature that attacked me and stole my voice was the black beast's servant, or rather, his other half.
This black beast we hunt for is much more clever than we expected. From the beginning, he knew we were after him, seeking to destroy him. He knew we had powers of our own. The black beast could not allow us to continue to follow him like we were. So, he took a piece of himself and created something that would sidetrack us and hopefully, destroy us. The thing he created is also a shapeshifter and though it is not as terrible as the black beast himself, it has powers of its own and the ability to destroy us all.
This creature the black beast created can suck up all the magics and powers that a living thing contains. My voice was a piece of magic, and therefore, it was able to steal it. But now it is through with me. It is the rest of you he wants. He wants whatever you can offer it. If you are not wary, it will take whatever powers you have from you.
You were lucky, Mattius. When you had dropped your sword, Angmarth, it easily came within the creature's grasp. In fact, it nearly did. One of the few weapons that could destroy the black beast and its servant nearly came into their own hands where they could alter it and use it against us all. But fortunately, it was saved in time, and you and the sword were reunited once again.
Mattius, you must not part from Angmarth again, I'm sure you know that. Radagast and Rothalle, my sister, both of you must hold tight grip of your staffs and not let them leave your sight. And the rest must simply beware. Once the creature gathers all the magic it can get and unites with the black beast once again, my voice will be lost forever and the black beast will become more powerful than ever.
I fear dear Endereth may be in the hands of the black beast or his servant or worse, both of them. I'm afraid that if this is so, we do not have much time to save her. We must find our friend and save her from her terrible fate before it is too late.

All that were in Tom Bombadil's house stared at Calentoliel. They wondered how she could know so much information about the black beast and its servant. Mattius wondered how she could have possibly known the secret of his sword, Angmarth.

Calentoliel did not mention how she gained this knowledge and she did not intend to. The dreams she had in her state of unconsciousness were to remain kept to herself. Some things she knew were not yet ready to be told.

It took a while for everyone to consume what Calentoliel had said, even for Radagast, but finally they began to understand what was expected of them.
"We must find Ender," Rothalle said, breaking the silence.
"But where will we find her?" asked Olo.
"There is only one way we can find that out," Radagast responded as he pulled a now restrengthened Calentoliel to her feet. "Everyone gather your belongings. Mattius, you must lead us to where Endereth disappeared last night. Only there can we discover where she has gone."
Old 12-28-2002, 09:49 AM   #114
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

"If this beast seeks out our magic essences he will find precious little in me." Radagast sighed aloud as he gathered his own things together. As the others packed they heard him clearly whether he intended them to or not.

Calentoliel tapped upon his shoulder. He turned and looked down upon her pale but living face. Her eyes were sad indeed but some fragment of their vibrancy remained. Her wound was bound and although she looked drawn it seemed her strength returned with every moment she was upon her feet. She gave the old man a fragment of a smile and touched his withered cheek. Radagast felt a tear well up within him and could not check it from descending from his eye. She wiped it away with her thumb. Calentoliel knew that Radagast had stayed with her througout her night of torments. He had used magic so strong it had cheated death itself. Radagast was as gifted as the others and was in just as much danger. She turned away from the stationary wizard, picked up his staff from where it lay upon the kitchen table, formally at her side and placed it firmly at his side. Her lips mouthed "You will have need of this" but of course no utterance was forthcoming.

"Come on then old one," called out Mattius who was already at the door. "If you wish me to lead, I am ready to lead."

"Aye young lord of elves and men, lead us on indeed," said Radagast still staring into the silent eyes of his young companion. Was there a little crack in his voice? If there was only Calontiel noticed or perhaps Rothalle who had drifted to his side.

They all proceeded outside and fastened cloaks or swung backpacks onto shoulders.
"Well, Bombadil will you be proceeding with us old friend?" Radagast enquired.

"I think not and I also believe you know exactly why," their host replied.

"Yes, I thought that it would be so. I hope she returns to you soon." said Radagast softly.

"That she will although you may meet her on the road afore I do. Farewell to you all and know that my door will never be barred to any of your company." Tom waved, then turned back within the house, closing the door behind him.

The day looked bright and promising but they had already learned that weather on the downs could not be trusted. The grass was wet and dew decorated all about them. The beacon of the night before was a charred and smoking ash heap. All was silent.

Faye adjusted Olo's pack and looked up to Mattius. "Are we ready then?"

"As we'll ever be Faye," he replied.

The company set off once more, this time in search of Endereth and not the Beast but full knowing that should they find her there was more than a good chance they would come upon the beast too.
Old 12-28-2002, 03:09 PM   #115
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

The haggard man's expressionless face changed so quickly that Endereth was frightened. His eyes were ablaze, his crooked teeth gritted, and he ground them in his rage. "Curse you, Endereth Naurel˙r! You have driven her into the Void! Curse you!"

His drawn, hunched figure suddenly straightened, and now he towered over Ender, his silver cloak turning a vile dark purple as shadows billowed out from the earth. The ranger barely dared to breathe. It was in this moment her confidence left her. She had no sword, no way to protect herself, and with the horrific vision that appeared before her she knew that all hope was lost. Backing away, she tripped on a stone, and turning from the ever-growing terror fell face forward onto a boulder, and with a sharp crack she hit her head on the rough rock. Her eyes burned from the dust in the air around her, and a sob escaped Ender's throat. Tears streamed forth from her eyes, but Endereth made no move to stop them. She had not cried since that day on the same crag... the day she had met her company.

"Oh, no... no!" a disdainful voice cried out behind her. "You cannot cry! How shall I obtain your sight if you cannot see?!"
Ender looked back at the towering menace who caused her pain, though she saw but a blurred silhouette of him now. "What... did you say?"

The monster threw up his hands in frustration. "How am I ever to see as long as the Child of Sight is thus blind?"
Ender knew what he meant. As long as she cried, she could not see. If she could not see, he could not take her magic. And she had so many tears that had been withheld in the past... thus, as long as tears came, there was still time.

[ December 28, 2002: Message edited by: Ithaeliel ]
Old 01-01-2003, 03:55 PM   #116
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

"This is about where I last saw Ender," said Mattius before turning around and pointing to another spot, "and that is where I last saw Goldberry before she dissapeared." Mattius took off his straw cone hat and scratched his golden haired head. Radagast walked a small distance and bent down to examine something on the ground.
"I believe this is yours Mattius," said Radagast handing him back his dwarven tomohawk axe.
"I struck it with this weapon, no sign of a body though, but of course their wouldn't be would there, luck is not on our side." Calentoliel walked up behind the two of them and put a hand on Radagast. "This is also where we found Calentoliel before we were attacked." Mattius moved closer to the wizard. "So what now Radagast?"
Old 01-03-2003, 01:19 PM   #117
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

Radagast stood silently and looked about them. "I have no doubts about your hunting skills Mattius, but how are you at setting traps?"

"Traps? Traps for Black Beasts I presume you are about to suggest." Mattius' expression was one of wonderment. The old man had finally lost his sanity.

"Look about you dear boy. We have no further clues to go upon. A little flattened grass, the return of your tomahawk, the corroboration of Calentoliel but where from here? We know the Beast seeks us out. There is something about us that draws it ever nearer. Then let us not wait for it, instead of following it?"

"We should all perish," snapped Faye. "If we stand here as soon as night falls it'll be upon us and tear us limb from limb. You've gone quite potty Radagast. I usually expect you to talk good sense but this is quite the opposite."

"I wouldn't be so hasty," muttered Olo. "I feel I have an understanding of what the bearded one has in mind. If yon beastie wants nowt better than to feast upon us then what better way to tempt him into the open so to speak. We can't see a path to follow so I see no reason why not."

There were a range of reactions amongst the company, some for, some against and those who could see both sides. Eventually Mattius called them all to order. "I too now see what Radagast's plan might be and yet I do not want to launch into it unless every other avenue has been explored. His plan to use one or all of us as bait is dangerous indeed. Let us first search hereabouts for any other clue that we may act upon before we consider a more reckless path."

"That sounds well enough with me Mattius man-elf but remember no path I tread is reckless. Dangerous I will acknowledge but not reckless.

Come then everyone, search about again but be quick for time is not our ally."
Old 01-09-2003, 05:03 PM   #118
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Your end will be in the beginning, life is a circle Firnlord, walk the grounds of where it came from and then you will be at the final. A voice had spoken to Mattius again. Only this time it was different, not the Protector, some being higher even than him. Mattius knew immdiatly whose voice it was.
"Radagast," he said turning to the wizard who was searching the horizon, "we will find the end in the beginning." The old figure looked confused.
"I am sorry to say that I do not understand Mattius."
"Your plan, it can work, but not here."
"Why ever not?" Replied Radagast. Mattius moved a step closer to him,
"Its not here, it has left back to where we first saw it. The Blue Mountains Radagast." The wizard frowned,
"How do you know that?" Mattius turned to the west hoisted his pack and beginning to walk turned and spoke.
"Manwe has told me." Radagast looked at him in amazement as Mattius turned and began to walk. This was unreal. Radagast knew that each of them was special and unique but this was totally different. Manwe had spoken to him. This elf was special, no, more than that he was a miracle. Manwe had conversed with him and not even the two white wizards had ever had that ability nor Tom Bombadil.
"Come, we must make with all haste to the Blue Mountains, Endereth and Tom's spouse need us!" The group fell into line behind Mattius as he led the way.
Old 01-12-2003, 01:03 PM   #119
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

They had reached the forest fence and at last would leave the Barrowdowns. They had in truth only been there a few days and yet it seemed as if months had passed in that enchanted place.

Radagast willingly followed while he pondered the greatness of their leader. He was secretly pleased to have come forth out of his hermit life for this. To be in Middle Earth at that moment was great indeed. They were setting forth to save Endereth and destroy the Beast. For once Radagast felt proud of himself. Perhaps it would be the death of him. Perhaps it would be the making of him. Perhaps when all was done he would return to being nothing more than a shepherd of creatures, waiting patiently for his ship to leave for the undying lands. He looked about him as they walked into the woods and found himself smiling where his companions, began to look set and grim. Scanning the wood about and not his feet beneath him upon the path enabled Radagast to notice her first. He gave Mattius a hearty slap upon his shoulder.
"Do not fear for Goldberry dear boy. It is she who has found us! Look yonder, one who is favoured by Manwe. Goldberry favours you also." He pointed over Mattius' shoulder and a little to the right. Sure enough, surrounded in a golden glow she approached them.

Although her mouth smiled her eyes were serious indeed. She stretched out a hand to Mattius. He took it.

"Come, time is more precious than you can imagine. I have kept watch over her but only you and your companions can be of help."
She pointed her slender arm in the direction of the Blue Mountains.
Old 01-12-2003, 10:15 PM   #120
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Sting

The six companions continued in the direction Goldberry had pointed, desperate to find their missing friend.

They had not traveled long when Calentoliel heard a recognizable humming noise. She immediately stopped in her tracks, knowing what was about to happen.
The others turned around, wondering what she was doing, but if they said anything, Calentoliel did not hear for the humming noise had grown so loud.
The noise surrounded the mute elf and overwhelmed her. She took a deep breath and held it for what seemed like minutes. Finally, strange humming noise stopped abrubtly and Calentoliel collapsed, gasping for breath.
Rothalle and Radagast hurried to Calentoliel's side and helped sit her up. The others stood around her in wonderment.
"What has happened?" Rothalle asked.
Calentoliel just sat there taking several breaths. Then, to everyone's astonishment, she began to speak.
"It seems good fortune has come upon me," she said, half-smiling. "I do not know if this means that the Black Beast's creature is dead, but I do believe this has something to do with Endereth."
"Why do you think that?" Faye asked, still shocked from Calentoliel's ability to speak.
"We already know Endereth has been captured by the Black Beast," Calentoliel answered. "If alive, I doubt its creature would be far. I sense that our friend is in grave danger. We cannot linger here any longer. We must find her now. Let's make haste."

And without any further question, the company of six continued on at a quicker pace than before, Mattius in the lead.