The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

View Poll Results: Because of Tolkien, I was driven to study:
Literature 21 52.50%
Philology 6 15.00%
Criticism 4 10.00%
Philosophy 4 10.00%
Theology 8 20.00%
English language 14 35.00%
Other languages 11 27.50%
Poetics 6 15.00%
History 16 40.00%
Other/Nothing 14 35.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-03-2006, 01:53 AM   #1
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Public Research: Field of Study

Part of Public Research Project

Have you started studying something because of your love for Tolkien? Were there subjects you would not have been interested in if not for him? The selection is made upon my notion of what fields Tolkien may have driven a man to, but option ‘other’ is provided for cases not covered by the poll. Please explain yourself in the thread in this latter case (and in others, if you feel you should).

I understand that 'other' and 'nothing' are things quite apart. Inclusion into one option was forcible, for lack of entries available. Thank you for your understanding

Study is not restricted to 'official' (e.i. at some University of School) study per se, but includes your private ventures into the fields as described too.

Multiple choice is allowed

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 02-03-2006 at 02:03 AM.
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:49 AM   #2
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Does the "Other Languages" option include Quenya and the like?
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 04:05 AM   #3
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Yes, I suppose

Old 02-03-2006, 06:40 AM   #4
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
I presume you mean any type of study, including sporadic personal study for leisure? I "study" History in that I enjoy reading about it, but abhor the subject as an academic subject.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 06:47 AM   #5
The Squatter of Amon Rūdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rūdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rūdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rūdh
Pipe Random acts of education

This is probably the best place to announce to the Downs at large my shiny new M.A. (Viking and Anglo-Saxon Studies, University of Nottingham), which I've held since December.

Not only was Tolkien responsible for my interest in the area, but I found the course on the internet as a direct result of reading HoME IV: I was looking for an Old English course so that I could compare the OE versions of the earliest Annals of Beleriand with their modern English counterparts, and one of my searches turned up Nottingham's site. I'm not sure whether this is a testament to the persuasiveness of Tolkien's own enthusiasm or a sadly laughable reason for taking up a course of study, and I dread to think what J.R.R. would have made of it. Apparently, though, it's a fairly common ailment, from which many medievalists suffer.

Some might be interested to know that I posted some Tolkien Old English on a course messageboard, which coincidentally confirmed the high quality of his spurious Anglo-Saxon documents. Perhaps he'll replace Wulfstan's translation of the paternoster as an introductory text, although I hope not.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:46 AM   #6
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
My trouble is that I am very very bad at sticking to any formal course of study, (which unfortunately is why I left college with my MRS. rather than my B.A. or B.S. degrees) but I'll read almost anything on my own. And Tolkien had a way of reminding me at the most boring parts of all the texts I tackled that history, philosophy, and language (among other things) aren't esoteric academic subjects dominated by crotchety old men in messy offices and masculine women with thick glasses as they are in movies and all too often in books, but dynamic, exciting parts of a huge story that doesn't really make sense until you understand at least a little about all the different parts...does that make any sense to anyone?

oh...and GREAT BIG CONGRATS to Squatter.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:59 AM   #7
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
The thing is that I was allready interested in things like History and Philosphy before I encounterd Tolkien, so I cannot say that it was him who gave me the interest for the topic. However it was because of Tolkien that I started showing interest for some parts of these topics, wich I had heard of and maybe studied a little before, but never studied in depth.

It is not my research, should I vote or not?

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:24 AM   #8
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Quote:
It is not my research, should I vote or not?
It may be my research, but I can not decide for you - you know it, I don't

Old 02-03-2006, 12:59 PM   #9
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I've just ticked the 'official' ones. I'm interested in all of the things on the poll, in some cases, e.g. History, possibly much more interested than I am in the subjects I 'officially' studied. I knew a long time ago that I ought to have studied Archaeology instead. I was also psychometrically tested and was told I'd have made a splendid Architect. It was all too late by then as I'd already taken my degree.

I was already interested in History long before I read any Tolkien, as my whole family are History buffs, but my interest in the English language did grow after reading Tolkien, or more accurately, reading about Tolkien.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:01 PM   #10
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Most of those Tolkien-related topics appeal to me in one way or another, although at the current moment I'm not studying ANYTHING. However, I wouldn't say that Tolkien has/will be driving me towards any of them, so much as any of them are the cause of my interest in Tolkien...
Old 02-03-2006, 01:15 PM   #11
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
It's interesting how an imaginery history inspires readers to take an interest in "real" history. Tolkien was a major factor that led me towards a doctorate in medieval English history. I've noticed that, among academics, Tolkien is often more appreciated by history folk than lit folk. I guess we just "smell" one of our own.

I also had an interest in archaeology that was somewhat linked to my interest in Tolkien (studied with Alcock and went on the Cadbury/Camelot dig many years ago).

I've already told him in person but just wanted to say publicly what a great achievement for Squatter. I was never very good with the old languages. It takes great patience and skill to master them.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:28 PM   #12
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Child
I also had an interest in archaeology that was somewhat linked to my interest in Tolkien (studied with Alcock and went on the Cadbury/Camelot dig many years ago).
I wonder how many Tolkien fans are interested in Archaeology (as opposed to History) as there seem to be quite a lot. I often think it must be something about detail which attracts people to both, as Tolkien's work contains so much of it, and Archaeology very much centres around it.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:43 PM   #13
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I said Tolkien influenced me to study/major in history, but that's a lie. I actually loved history long before reading Tolkien. But because of his work I moved away from ancient Greek and Roman history and into a more medieval type history. So now ontop of studying the Greeks and Romans I have a profound interest in medieval times, which was not really there before I read Tolkien.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:10 PM   #14
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
I credit Tolkien for inspiring me to read quite a few of the more obscure epics and mythologies outside of class when in high school.
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:25 PM   #15
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
I was well on my way into studying literature when I discovered Tolkien, but I think he gave a serious leg-up when it came to fairy tales, myths (King Arthur, et al), and the early W.B. Yeats.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:00 PM   #16
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Narya Something Else At Work

Okay, I think I am commited to write my story here, otherwise I'll be denying my very self.

There was a couple of strange things which have happened to me at the time before I went to the University. And I have to point out that before that I haven't read LotR for a long time... since the movies came out, to be precise. Now thinking of it, this is one of the two things which happened in my life in reverse to the mainstream. Generally, I am actually a very "Ulmo-like" person: the Voice that Stands Against. I never go with the flow. So, when the movies came out, and many folks were acknowledged with Tolkien, I abandoned him. I set on one of these Gray ships and, against the endless fleet of ships coming to the coasts, I departed from those beloved shores...

Many things happened in my life in that time "between". But then, one year, I went to my first year on the famous Charles University of Prague, to study biology&geography - with pedagogical aim. I liked geography, I even liked biology... strange, since I was always more into these humanities things...

(Deepened voice of doom) It was not my fate to finish this study. Not only that I was never good in Maths and all this silly stuff, but God came to my life and he showed me another way. What was worse, a great shocker came to me. Shortly after I believed, about half a year later then, I realized that Tolkien was in fact a Christian. I didn't have a clue of it before, and now I am quite sure this was a part of a plan. Some people say that Tolkien maybe had impact on them so that they started to believe, or if I use other words, that Tolkien's works have brought them to God. With me, it was the other way around: the God brought me back to Tolkien! When I remember this, I just can't resist to feel the joy of it. With clear conscience I can say here, that hadn't it been for God, I would've probably spent the rest of my life without Tolkien. What a terrible thought!

Nevertheless, to get to the point of my story, for why I originally started to tell it here, under this topic: I started to play with a thought of going to study
theology. It was very close: I almost made a storno to the application on the day of its posting (and it was the last day you could apply for the study). But the hand of God saved me from this terrible mistake. And finally, one sunny day in June, I entered the building of Protestant theological faculty of Charles University to make the entrance tests, and later, the entrance interview.

I might have expected many things in there, but this was another shock. I remember it as if it were yesterday. We took the tests, quite simple for me being, I think I might say, quite well-acquainted with the humanities studies and so on. But then, the entrance interview came. I'll never forget it. Five strange professors or doctors or whatever were sitting around the table, and they tried to look kindly.

"Each of us will ask you one question," said the "boss" among them. "You might start, sir," he said to the one sitting on the other side of the round table.

The guy nodded and spouted quickly: "What do you think of Tolkien's concept of evil?"
I think I would at that moment stare with open mouth if it were "socially admissable". If I was expecting anything from an entrance interview, this was certainly not it. And so I, considering myself one of the best Tolkien-loremasters in Czech Republic, was just able to stutter a few words about Melkor becoming Morgoth. And about the corrupting power of the Rings. The man nodded. But this was not the end of it.

Why would I make it too long: three of five professors asked me about Tolkien. One about Tolkien's response to the pre-war Nazi German propaganda considering Hobbit as a glorification to the "good ol' pure race mythology", so I answered with what Tolkien said in response that he is sorry that he does not belong to the Chosen people of Israel. The other man asked me about the parallels between Sil and the Bible. Don't ask me how they came to this. But I ended on that faculty, and I am very happy for it. Thus, to the answer in the poll, yeah, Tolkien brought me to the study of theology. Literally.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:57 PM   #17
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dūm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
Until I discovered The Lord of the Rings, I wanted to be a hockey player. I did not like English very much either. But now English classes are my favorite, and I want to be an author.
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dūr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:54 PM   #18
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Okay, this may be long-winded, apologies in advance.

I'm currently working towards a major in English Literature in the hopes of going on to graduate school and going into academia. That's the plan, at least.

I had hoped to graduate with a double major in history and English, but since I want to study abroad for a year, I can't do history as well. I started getting interested in history when I was 14, shortly after reading everything my textbook had to offer on the American Civil War for fun. So I can't entirely credit Tolkien with my interest in history, but he probably strengthened it.

My interest in studying literature definitely developed after reading The Lord of the Rings, and helped me develop a taste for Anglo-Saxon and medieval texts. Then, I found out that I'm a lot better at literature than history, so I changed my focus. I still plan on taking as many history courses as I can fit into my schedule.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:29 AM   #19
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I love my history...if Human Resources didn't have the advantage in the money I'd probably be off teaching history.

I think it's quite a shame on how History is taught these days (see Loewen's 'Lies My Highschool History Teacher Taught me'). It's a pity history is taught by the 'book' and as they say (which is quite an accurate saying) the books are written by the victors. History was my 'field of study,' always has been a true passion, and will always remain so.

Edit: oh boy, I didn't realize you could vote for more than one option.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:06 PM   #20
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I must join the group of people who confess being interested in History already before getting to know the prof and his works, even if they were just 10-years old...

But I would like to mention philology here. In that Tolkien has really been an inspiration for me: the histories of the words and their interrelatedness, the different languages and their ways of revealing the world differently. That interest I have probably learned from Tolkien.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote