The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2008, 01:19 PM   #121
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Whoa, that looks all too interesting - too promising from what I see, though, I am kind of afraid that I won't have the chance to obtain it
I'm hoping it might make for good thread topics! So some of it might be quoted, if it does!
Old 09-01-2008, 01:24 PM   #122
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
I'm hoping it might make for good thread topics! So some of it might be quoted, if it does!
Yup, I am pretty sure it might. Let's look forward to it...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:31 PM   #123
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Whoa! Check out the contents of the Proceedings of Tolkien 2005:

http://www.tolkiensociety.org/2005/p...ngs/index.html

Stellar cast list plus a paper on just about everything. That should keep any reader going for a few months. This is a must-have book for me.

Esty gets a virtual drink if she can spot the obvious omission. I wonder why that has been left out?
It's expensive, but a little less than many academic books. Pity I won't be at Oxonmoot to pick it up, as a $40 price tag for mailing it internationally is steep methinks.

Was this Oxonmoot the first meeting of Esty, Lal, and davem or was that 2006?
Old 09-01-2008, 03:26 PM   #124
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post
It's expensive, but a little less than many academic books. Pity I won't be at Oxonmoot to pick it up, as a $40 price tag for mailing it internationally is steep methinks.

Was this Oxonmoot the first meeting of Esty, Lal, and davem or was that 2006?
Well, Birmingham was In 2005 BC*. I remember when last year's Oxonmoot was on I was holed up in the Women's Hospital going stir crazy because they'd realised with much shock how large the young Prince was going to be and wouldn't let me go home. We went in 2006 and met Mithalwen! And narfforc, but the time he doesn't go to Oxonmoot we should all be worried

*Before Childe
Old 09-02-2008, 03:11 AM   #125
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quote:
Esty gets a virtual drink if she can spot the obvious omission. I wonder why that has been left out?
Dear me, now you have me curious! I wonder if the omission will be so obvious to me that I can find it without spending all day searching?

Of course, the Cambridge Society's live reading wouldn't be there - one of the events I enjoyed very much.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:20 AM   #126
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
Dear me, now you have me curious! I wonder if the omission will be so obvious to me that I can find it without spending all day searching?

Of course, the Cambridge Society's live reading wouldn't be there - one of the events I enjoyed very much.
Ah, just a certain well known critic's papers are NOT included!
Old 11-18-2008, 05:07 PM   #127
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Whoo! The huge wodge of text that is the 2005 Proceedings arrived today, which look like they could provide a rich mine of thread topics. I've only had a chance to browse through so far but I'm looking forwards to reading all the papers I missed and revising those I attended but have gone all misty in the back of my memory (plus I had the added joy of thinking the Royal Mail van was going to drive through the front of the house as he screeched up diagonally onto the pavement instead of actually 'parking').

It all looks most thorough, the papers all have proper footnotes and bibliographies and everything and there is a proper index. And they look well bound, too.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:58 AM   #128
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Tolkien

I forgot to add this one:

Tolkien's Oxford by Bob Blackham

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tolkiens-Oxf...1246335&sr=8-1

I got this one for Christmas and while I'm snowed under with dozens of new books (and distracted from ploughing through 'em by many other kinds of 'stuff'), I've had a good look through and it's packed solid with ace photos, both old and current, of Oxford and its surrounding area. It's typical Bob Blackham and very entertaining and informative, plus has maps and all that gubbins for exploration purposes.

It's even better than his one on Brum.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:00 AM   #129
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ooh, that one looks excellent! Could have used it when I visited Oxford.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:35 PM   #130
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
This one looks interesting...

Quote:
Black & White Ogre Country, The Lost Tales of Hilary Tolkien

Description: Beautiful collection of short stories from a recently discovered notebook / scrapbook of Hilary Tolkien describing the childhhood adventures of himself and his brother JRR Tolkien. 80 pages including wonderful colour illustrations by Jef Murray. A must have for Tolkien fans, helps complete the biography, contains previously unseen extracts from letters by JRR Tolkien, his father, photo's of the brothers and family etc. Expertly and emotionally edited by Angela Gardner.
http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Bo...6vci%3D3185100

Not out till later this month - by which time it should be available via Amazon

(Those of us who are members of the Tolkien Society, & have attended Oxonmoot will know the lovely Angie of Daeron's Books. )
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:28 PM   #131
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

That's one to snap up ASAP, going by the short appearance in bookshops of The Tolkien Family Album!
Old 01-07-2009, 07:49 PM   #132
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I have long been curious to learn more about Hilary Tolkien--how fascinating that one brother became an Oxford don and the other a farmer--so this looks doubly interesting. I shall reserve my copy promptly.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:12 AM   #133
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
More info on the Hilary book (as found by me mate geordie over at the Plaza)

http://www.tolkienbooks.net/?p=121
Old 07-28-2009, 02:29 PM   #134
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
tolkien-buecher.de, a German news service about Tolkien-related books, has informed of the translation of a Danish book to English, making it available to most of us for reading. It concerns a Jungian interpretation of the LotR; if you're interested, you can read the introductory chapter here: CG Jung page. The author is Pia Skogemann.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 11-08-2009, 01:25 PM   #135
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Today I read about a book scam that also involves allegedly new books about Tolkien. For more information, here is the Wikipedia link. Before anyone pays for a poor copy of free information, do check whether it is genuine! If the editors' names are John McBrewster, Frederic P. Miller, and Agnes F. Vandome, don't buy it.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:57 PM   #136
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Thanks for the info. It's probably a matter of time before spambots selling them appear here.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:01 PM   #137
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Apparently some bloke called J.K Tolkien or something like that, has written a story based on them films about The Lord of the Rings, is that new or what?
Old 11-09-2009, 07:03 AM   #138
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
I saw this this morning at a high-end bookstore. I've read the comments on Amazon, but before I buy this one I wanna know fellow Downers' opinions. It's a bit too pricey for me--over a thousand pesos for a person who buys mostly second-hands for fractions of that cost. Is it worth that much money?

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:58 PM   #139
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
If you're into Norse mythology and/or alliterative verse, or interested in reading a poetical work by Tolkien set outside of Middle-earth, or interested in seeing the Prof rework some of the sources that inspired him in his own style and language, then yes, it's definitely worth reading. (About the money question - you might try to get it from a library and look for yourself before you decide whether to buy it or not. I was lucky to have it given to me as a birthday present, but I'd probably have bought it anyway.)
There's a thread with some comments and links to more reviews here.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:05 PM   #140
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Fantasy Freaks and Gaming Geeks

I met the author (Ethan Gilsdorf) at The Tolkien Society A.G.M in Chester a few years ago. He has since interviewed a number of Tolkien readers, myself amongst them. I haven't read it yet (on the xmas list), however I have read the reviews. I suggest you Google it and see what you think.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:26 AM   #141
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Many of you are familiar with Anke Eissmann's Tolkien illustrations. Walking Tree Publishers has now published a book, Beowulf and the Dragon, with her illustrations and the Old English text and Modern English translation of an episode of the tale side by side. It's a luxury edition which will primarily interest collectors and fans of the Beowulf legend. The above link also includes links to her website and to an interview.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:58 AM   #142
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

As of today, the book Music in Middle-earth is available. More information on the Walking Tree website.

What a nice coincidence that today is Tolkien's birthday... (my precioussssss)
Old 01-03-2010, 03:42 PM   #143
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Congratulations, Esty. Tremendous work. I look forward to reading it.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:32 AM   #144
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe Music in Middle-earth

I ordered two copies of the above, which I received yesterday. They are very nice to look at; and some relatives who saw them were impressed at the high quality.

There's a lot to read in Music; so it'll be some time before I can give a review of it.

As Bęthberry said, congratulations Esty!
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:21 AM   #145
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
For once Amazon has alerted to something I am genuinely interested in:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0...8420851_snp_dp

As Poison Ivy can testify I am not gifted in spatial awareness and directions (still can't find her house without a map despite it being barely a mile away from where I have lived most of my life) and as a result I found Barbara Strachey's "Journeys of Frodo" a real boon when reading LOTR - particularly when the various companies diverge and I have never had a strong concept of the geography of Beleriand so I think I will break my "no more new books until I have read those I have already bought" resolution for this since I need to reread the primary works and I think this will be a great help.

Brian Sibley very kindly participated in our discussions of the BBC radio series (which we must complete sometime).

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:45 PM   #146
davem
Illustrious Ulair

From our 'Thunder-stealing' dept:

I notice the Sibley/Howe Hobbit map http://www.amazon.co.uk/There-Back-A...4707515&sr=1-2 is out at the same time & the LotR map edition is available http://www.amazon.co.uk/Road-Goes-Ev...d_bxgy_b_img_c.

All nice productions - actually there is a fourth - a map of Numenor, which as far as I'm aware is only available in the boxed set http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maps-Tolkien...4707998&sr=1-8