The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2003, 03:16 PM   #1
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Sting "Borrowed" avatars

I was wondering, is it OK for two members to have the same avatar? Because I don't know if my new Kermit picture would be "borrowng" Rimbaud's "Kermitness", as I believe I am right in saying that Rimbaud is the "Kermit" member. On a Tolkien site, it may be expected that several members have say, Aragorn as their picture, but not so trivial avatars, are they "personalised"?
I've been struggling with my conscience for ages now, and I'd greatly appreciate everyone's views on avatar hire.
~LePetitChoux [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2003, 03:20 PM   #2
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

Well, Rim doesn't even have a frog as an avatar right now, so I'd say you're safe. *shrugs* I'd think it all depends on the person you're borrowing the avatar or avatar theme from, whether he/she cares or not. As to having the exact same one at the same time, that might confuse the rest of us. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2003, 04:23 PM   #3
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Just don't use the same picture. One time somebody used my sun. I made that sun. I was mad. Somebody could use a different picture of a sun and I wouldn't care, even if it was a smiling sun with the same colors.
Old 02-10-2003, 04:27 PM   #4
onewhitetree
Seeker of Syntax

onewhitetree has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to onewhitetree
Sting

Anyone can use my avatar, as it is an homage to me.

Well, I'M BACK.
onewhitetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 05:34 PM   #5
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that unless you *really*, *really* like the other person's avatar, it's a better idea not to duplicate, simply because on some subconscious level everybody associates the person with the avatar. Sometimes I don't even look at the name, just at the avatar--"oh, it's Daffy Duck, that's Diamond." (By the way, I think you've permanently scarred me by changing your pic, Diamond. Thanks. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] )

I mean, I don't think that there's necessarily any "ownership rights" attached to avatars--unless, like burrahobbit, you created your avatar--but I think for the sake of not confusing other members it's a better idea to go original or not go at all.

~*~Orual, whose own avatar is busted right now~*~
Old 02-10-2003, 06:05 PM   #6
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

Anyone can use Sir Cosmo, whom I recruited from another site with my own two hands.

However, that could mean that people will think that you're me, which might damage your readership. Also consider the social awkwardness of being confused with a member of the 1908 Olympic fencing team. 'Tis not a consummation devoutly to be wished, I can tell you. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2003, 09:07 PM   #7
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Question

You know Squatter, (and this is a rather embarrassing admission), but for a long time I thought that your avatar was a picture of General Erich von Falkenhayn. I didn't think that could be right, but one never knows.

I will now silently and with dignity suffer the justly earned hoots and jeers for my ignorance.

EDIT: Oh the mortification! Missed an egregious spelling error during my proofreading as well! This has just not been my day.

Last edited by Kuruharan; 01-19-2005 at 03:19 PM.
Kuruharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 09:54 PM   #8
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I think it is ok to have the same avatar, but I would stil like people to be as creative as they can. But yeah when to people have the exact same avatar I do kind of get confused.
Old 02-10-2003, 10:18 PM   #9
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

Quote:
(By the way, I think you've permanently scarred me by changing your pic, Diamond. Thanks. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] )
Oh, great, now I have GUILT! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I may bring him back after a time. I just felt like something new, to shake things up a bit, you know. And if I may say so, it is a rather "shocking" avatar. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2003, 10:23 PM   #10
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Bruce MacCulloch has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Bruce MacCulloch
Ring

I don't see a problem with shared avatars. However, I still have yet to see anyone else with as great a sense of style and tastefulness as I. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2003, 10:41 PM   #11
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh my, Diamond 18!

I love your new avatar and am tempted to um, "borrow" it myself! As coincidence would have it, I was walking around the lake through the snow this very night musing about whether this would be the year I change my Native American name to "Kayekyonyo" ... Iroquois for "Lightning Strikes All Around." I'm not known for "fire, smoke and lights" for nothing! Had a couple close calls this past year alone (in fact, earlier this past summer, my laptop computer at work was struck by lightning when I struck the ENTER key!)

Again, cool lightning avatar you have there, Diamond! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Gandalf the Grey

[ February 10, 2003: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Gandalf_theGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 11:03 PM   #12
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

I'm glad you like it, but aren't you obligated to keep your Gandalf headshot? Must stay in character, you know. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

My, my, the laptop experience sounds like a once in lifetime event. Must have made you feel powerful, controlling nature with the press of a button... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2003, 05:14 AM   #13
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

burrahobbit's story sounds a bit frustrating, but I don't think that anyone except Jim Henson could really complain about you using Kermit.
Quote:
1908 Olympic fencing team.
There is no word to describe how funny that is. Not even ROFL.
Old 02-11-2003, 06:31 AM   #14
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

I think Squatter and Kate and Orual touch on the important issue about avatars, that for some or perhaps many, the avatar is chosen and used very carefully and consciously as part of the creation of a nick identity or personality. It is a unique, original act of imagination. And to appropriate the avatar is to appropriate that identity, like a second-rate hack writer, almost.

I know I was quite taken-aback when I saw someone else use burrahobbit's sun, because to me that avatar is burrahobbit, just as Birdie's is Birdland and pio's is piosennial.

And while avatars do come and go, I think it would be a matter of civil decorum to respect those acts of creation.

I mean, after all, who would really want to ride on Rimbaud's coattails? Or Bruce's? Or HeronIsterion's? Or Estelyn Telcontar's? Blah.

Bethberry

[ February 11, 2003: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 02-11-2003, 07:46 AM   #15
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Pipe

I am being almost convinced to change it, but the thing that would clinch it for me would be Rimbaud's own opinion... [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2003, 09:05 AM   #16
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

The image is not mine, I have no claim over it. It's purely a question of personal aesthetic. Although I may be forced to slap you around with a large trout.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:43 AM   #17
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Gilthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I suppose I can only say that I subcreated my avatar from a scan of (I think) one of Christopher Tolkien's maps, using MS Paintbrush and one of the shareware GIF animators. Previous avatars, the oldsters will remember: The Floating Head & Eye, and the Spinning Head!

By unanimous acclaim, nausea, and motion sickness, I submitted long ago to the petition to retain the Map avatar.
Old 02-11-2003, 04:36 PM   #18
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

<--------- Sailor Saturn rules!

I don't have a problem with people stealing- er, I mean sharing my avatars. If it ever happened, I would probably change mine to something different... it's a bit hard to be truly unique on a forum which has 6000+ members (even if many of them post once, leave, and don't return).
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 05:11 PM   #19
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My avatar is unique. It is not hard.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:15 PM   #20
red
Spirit of Mischief

red has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<--- Priceless.

Rim, that's $19.99 plus tax.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:19 PM   #21
DaughterofVana
Wight

DaughterofVana has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<------ Lifted from BD's own site.

Whaaaat?? It's pretty! I know I have no shame.

-'Vana

[ February 11, 2003: Message edited by: DaughterofVana ]

Hi! Did you miss me?
DaughterofVana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 05:55 PM   #22
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

Quote:
My avatar is unique. It is not hard.
What he said.

This Phoenix is mine, I created it. On one hand it's only a few bytes of pixels, but on the other it's something I thought about and spent time making. I put my energy into it, and no one else on this planet can say that.

My previous avatar, Chameleon, I did not create, but it is mine as well, because it has been mine.
Old 02-12-2003, 05:16 PM   #23
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Quote:
for a long time I thought that your avatar was a picture of General Erich von Falkenhayn
For the benefit of those unfamiliar with German military history, this is General von Falkenhayn

They do look quite similar, but mine is Sir Cosmo Edmund Duff-Gordon, fifth Baronet. I chose him for his moustache.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:13 AM   #24
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

That general had a quite impressive moustache too. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I don't know if I'm just weird or what the thing is, but I can't help picuring you a bit like your avatar Squatter (don't ask me why..).

I don't think there's any danger of anyone borrowing my avatar, so far I've met ONE downer who has even recognised it. It's Nemi, that's what. Cartoon from Norway, great fun. But if anyone by any chance likes Nemi, just borrow it. I 'borrowed' it myself from an online newspaper.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:23 AM   #25
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

I hate to disappoint you, vanwalossien, but that avatar fails to do justice to the real Squatter, by a long shot. It doesn't even come close. Except by way of signifying his sense of humour. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Bethberry
Old 02-13-2003, 03:06 PM   #26
Pipperin
Animated Skeleton

Pipperin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think its ok to "borrow" avatars, but mine never seem to work [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I could say my avatar is completely black [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-13-2003, 03:21 PM   #27
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Quote:
I can't help picuring you a bit like your avatar Squatter
Much as Bethberry may flatter, the avatar looks a great deal more distinguished than I do. Note the quiet dignity with which he bears his bizarre name and insane facial growth. I can only aspire to such gravitas.
Old 02-13-2003, 06:14 PM   #28
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
Sting

Quote:
but I think for the sake of not confusing other members it's a better idea to go original or not go at all.
You're using Elrian's avatar.
obloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 06:42 PM   #29
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

I think that, no matter what the history of how someone managed to obtain their particular avatar is, one should always ask their permission to take it. While originality is always most favorable, if you really, really, really like someone's avatar, I think that you should be able to ask to share avatars. If they say "no" for personal reasons, that's okay. Then you can make/find a similar avatar on your own, if you want. Just search for sites with art of a theme similar to that which you desire!

Meanwhile, you can always know me through my fairy avatars...

EDIT: Seemed fitting that I posted here right after changing my avatar, actually...

[ February 13, 2003: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]
Old 02-13-2003, 09:20 PM   #30
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

Quote:
You're using Elrian's avatar.
Am I? Oops! I've never seen any of Elrian's posts. My bad--I was desperately trying to find an avatar that worked, after the site my old avatar was from shut down. Thanks for the heads-up...I'll try to find a new one.

~*~Orual~*~
Old 02-13-2003, 09:24 PM   #31
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Alkanoonion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I like my avatar, it’s not as good as my old kangaroo but it is more appropriate considering the Downs theme

Quote:
after the site my old avatar was from shut down. Thanks for the heads-up...I'll try to find a new one
You should never direct link to another sites images without permission as they pay each time someone views the image. This is the same as stealing... saying that I will move my pic tonight to my own server as well
[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ February 13, 2003: Message edited by: Alkanoonion ]
Old 02-13-2003, 09:33 PM   #32
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Sting

like my new Avatar?
Old 02-13-2003, 09:54 PM   #33
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Thumbs up

Yes, very nice, Alk. Very...ghastly.
[img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

[ February 13, 2003: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]
Old 02-14-2003, 02:33 AM   #34
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I know Squatter doesn't look like that, I've seen his pic on Alk's picture page, but I can't help it...
Old 02-14-2003, 03:31 AM   #35
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Vanima! At last! you have an avatar I can actually see! I've never seen your avatar before, it's always been a red cross.

My avatars will always be dragons. If mine were to be used, I'd pobably still keep it because I had it first and I'm really quite fond of it.
Old 02-15-2003, 06:44 PM   #36
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I'd say always ask, no matter where the avatar came from. Just for general harmony and all that. However, if you've *never* seen an avatar around and have to dig back a year and a half in the archives to find someone who was using it, it's probably safe to assume that it's back in the common pool.

- Kalimac (whose avatar was kindly given to her by Diamond18)
Old 02-15-2003, 07:55 PM   #37
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

Don't ever take my Avatar. Period.

I use it on every PHP board that I go to, it's part of my identity.

[ February 15, 2003: Message edited by: Beren87 ]
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 08:28 PM   #38
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
I am Agent Elrond... 'nuff said.
Old 02-15-2003, 09:18 PM   #39
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

This may deviate slightly from the topic at hand, and feel free to ignore this post if you see it fit, but where does everybody else get their avatars? I do try to link from my own website, but it's a pretty bottom-line crummy website and for one reason or another (though I'm leaning toward an extraterrestrial conspiracy, myself) all I get is that omnipresent box-with-an-X for my efforts. I'd like an avatar, since it gives a visual link to a screen name, but I simply don't know where to get them. Advice?

~*~Orual~*~
Old 02-15-2003, 09:32 PM   #40
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

White-Hand

I have some on my home site found here
you can direct link to my page, I am always on the look out for more avatars to add so if you want one hosted just email me with it. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

jwahl@bigpond.com
or
thain@breeunderbreehill.com
or
joe.wahl@transport.sa.gov.au