The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-16-2003, 01:25 AM   #121
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Shield

Hey, I said different, not later, right?<P>Éomer's Best:<BR><UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> "How long has it been since Saruman bought you? What was the promised price, Grima? When all the men are dead you would take a share of the treasure? Too long have you watched my sister, too long have you haunted her steps." <I>Oh, go you good thing!</I><BR><LI> "I would cut off your head, Dwarf, if it stood but a little higher from the ground."<BR><LI> When he whisltes for Hasufel and Arod. <BR><LI> "Not alone. <I>Rohirrim!</I>"<BR></UL><P>Éomer's Worst:<BR><UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> "My company are those loyal to Rohan. And for that, we are banished." <I>Since when?</I><BR><LI> "We ride north!" <I>*pouts* So we don't get to see him till the very end of the movie? No fair!</I><BR></UL>
Old 02-16-2003, 06:30 AM   #122
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Firondoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah! Eomer!!<P>Best: <BR>1. "How long has it been since Saruman bought you? What was the promised price, Grima? When all the men are dead you would take a share of the treasure? Too long have you watched my sister, too long have you haunted her steps." <P>2. "Not alone. Rohirrim! To the king!<P>3. I also like when he whistles for Hasufel and Arod! <P>Worst: He doesn't have a worst! I like all of his lines and those aren't many! He wasn't in the movie enough! *sulks*
"Forth, and fear no darkness. Arise. Arise, Riders of Théoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered. A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"
Firondoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 10:30 AM   #123
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I know this is from FoTR, but rather then start another thread...<P>This is in the special edition and always makes me smile. It is when they are departing and Elrond says, "May the blessings of elves, men and free folk go with you." or something pretty close to that.<P>Anyway, when he says "elves" there's a cut to Legolas. At "men" they cut to Aragorn and at "free folk" they cut to Gimli.<P>This makes me smile because it reminds me of a Simpson line were the Simpson's home is saved by fire by the local community and Reverend Lovejoy says something like, "Your friends pulled together, be they Christian" (cut to Flanders) "Jew" (cut to Krusty) "or miscellaneous." (cut to Apu). <P>I guess what makes it funny (well, maybe just to me) is that it can be argued that the tone of the Simpson reference is not exactly out of place.<P>H.C.
Old 02-17-2003, 10:39 PM   #124
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

Eomer's Best:<BR>- "Not alone. Rohirrim! ... To the king!"<P>Eomer's Worst:<BR>- "He walks here and there they say, as an old man, hooded and cloaked."
Old 02-18-2003, 10:58 AM   #125
Grimbold
Haunting Spirit

Grimbold has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

What's wrong with the quality line? That's what the Ring does to you: it causes you to have great aspirations and ambitions and to believe that with the Ring you can be a hero, when you would be a tyrant. I liked that line. Maybe I misunderstood.<BR>[Referring to the part where Faramir says something about the young captain of Gondor (Faramir) showing his quality.]<p>[ February 18, 2003: Message edited by: Grimbold ]
Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountains. Like wind in the meadow. The days have gone down in the west. Behind the hills, into shadow.
How did it come to this?
Grimbold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 09:40 AM   #126
Airehiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Airehiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Best: "How long has it been since Saruman bought you? What was the promised price, Grima? When all the men are dead you would take a share of the treasure? Too long have you watched my sister, too long have you haunted her steps." <P>Worst: "We ride north" (only because I couldn't think of anything else.)<P>We should do Treebeard some time!
Old 02-25-2003, 08:43 AM   #127
Airehiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Is anyone still tallying the votes on this thread?
Old 02-25-2003, 05:27 PM   #128
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

Well, yeah... But when I get only one or two people responding, it's kind of pointless, because there's no clear "winner" in some cases. But I get tired of saying "Vote, vote, vote!" so that's why I sometimes let it get buried.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:26 PM   #129
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Shield

Well...Eomer...hmmm...I liked the expression on his face when he was being taken away at Wormtongue, but that isn't exactly a line. I liked "What businness have an Elf, a Man, and a Dwarf in the Riddermark?" No worst lines, many more good, I just chose one of them. Iknow that the other ones are finished, but I'm sorry I missed them, and woul like to at lest say which lines I liked for some.So much death. What are men to do against such reckless hate was pretty good, actually.<P>Faramir- well, I noticed that many people seemed to think that his meanest lines were his worst. I think that all that that means was that he was such a great actor for the role that his mean lines <I>really</I> seemed mean. I actually liked all of his lines, even the now we understand each other one, but I especially loved the "a chance for Faramir, Captain of Gondor, to show his quality" even though it was a little bit scary. I don't get how you chose that to be the worst one! <P>Legolas- No bad lines at all, well mayb I'm a bit prejudiced in his favor, but I really did think that he didn't have any bad lines. I liked the a red sun rises one, but my two favorites are these: a. boe a hyn! neledheran dan caer menig! (and they should be: 300 against 10 thousand!) and all of the lines around that, the whole thing of the fight with Aragorn, even though it was rather uncharacteristic. I don't get how people thought that <I>that</I> was one of the worst lines too! *Makes effort not to punch anyone in the nose* And b. I don't remember the exact lines, but it's when he realizes that Aragorn fell of the cliff. The facial expressions in that scene are really great. Not far behind is definitely his "You're late...you look terrible" line.<P>Theoden- Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow; The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow. How has it come to this?<P>Frodo- Too many, too many! The best one by far was definitely the "They are here. hey have come." one. That frieked me out badly, but I loved it.<P>I'm sorry I talked about the ones there were, before, couldn't help it.
Old 02-27-2003, 04:52 PM   #130
Airehiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Oh thank you, GaladrieloftheOlden!<BR>I forgot about Eomer line:<BR>"What business does an Elf, a Man, and a Dwarf have in the Riddermark? Speak Quickly!"<P><I><B>THAT</B></I> is my favorite Eomer line. I change my vote to that!!<P>I see your point Diamond, on why you don't tally them up as often, or get tired of asking us to vote. I think some of us really like this thread, though. Couldn't you do it for us? *puppy dog eyes* Please???
Old 02-27-2003, 05:30 PM   #131
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

I'm also going to cast my vote for the speech about Worntongue staying away from Eowyn and for the line that goes somewhat like...<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Not alone! Rohirrim! To the King!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I can't think of a worst line. A while back someone mentioned that we are a bunch of Sam fans. That we are! (or at least I am!)

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 07:56 PM   #132
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Thumbs up

Well...maybe not <I>all</I> of us...<I>some</I> of us may prefer Legolas...but still not be Orliers. Kill the Orliers!
Old 02-28-2003, 12:37 AM   #133
Marigold

Sting

Eomer's best has to be 'Not alone, ROHIRRIM!'<BR>and ' (whistle)Hasufel, Arod' That whistle was cool! hehehe <BR>Another one is 'I would cut off your head, dwarf if it stood a little higher from the ground.' That was from the book wasn't it?
Old 02-28-2003, 03:44 PM   #134
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I <I>think</I>, correct me if I'm wrong, that something <I>like</I> that was in the book, but PJ changed it a bit, or maybe changed who said it, or when, etc. Then again, maybe not.<p>[ February 28, 2003: Message edited by: GaladrieloftheOlden ]
Old 03-02-2003, 06:06 PM   #135
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Could you choose a new character, and tally up, please?
Old 03-02-2003, 07:25 PM   #136
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

<B>Results for Éomer</B><P>Best: "Not alone. <I>Rohirrim!"</I><P>Worst: "We ride north."<P>Next character: <B>Fangorn/Treebeard.</B><P>My votes,<P>Best:<BR><UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>"Hobbits? Never heard of a Hobbit before. Sounds like Orc mischief to me. They come with fire, they come with axes. Biting, breaking, hacking, burning. Destroyers and usurpers. Curse them!"<BR><LI>"It takes a long time to say anything in old Entish, and we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say."<BR><LI>"Rárum-rum! Come my friends. The Ents are going to war. It is likely that we go to our doom. The last march of the Ents."<BR></UL><P>Worst:<BR><UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>"The Ents cannot hold back this war. We must weather such things as we have always done."<BR><LI>"You are young and brave, master Merry. But your part in this tale is over. Go back to your home."<BR></UL>
Old 03-02-2003, 07:34 PM   #137
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

I would have to agree with diamond on this one, except that I would also add the line that Treebeard says before they go to Isengard to the best list. I'm not sure what it is, but in the book it was really cool .

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 07:28 PM   #138
BethoHOG
Haunting Spirit

BethoHOG has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to BethoHOG
Sting

-Best-<BR>"I have told your names to the ent moot and we have agreed... you are not Orcs."<BR>-Worst-<BR>"The Ents cannot hold back this war. We must weather such things as we have always done."<BR>"This is not our war."<p>[ March 03, 2003: Message edited by: BethoHOG ]
Old 03-03-2003, 08:35 PM   #139
Airehiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Best: That doesn't make sense to me, but then, you are very small. <P>I always like going south. Somehow it feels like going down hill. <P>Worst: The Ents cannot hold back this war. We must weather such things as we have always done.<BR>(Not even close to what happened in the book!)
Old 03-04-2003, 04:30 AM   #140
Sambar

Best: "AAAUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHH!" (when he sees all the cut-down trees)<P>Worst: "Good shot" (or whatever silly thing he says when the hobbits score that unlikely hit with a rock)
Old 03-04-2003, 06:04 AM   #141
Quirkette
Haunting Spirit

Quirkette has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Worst: I have told your name to the ent moot and we have agreed...you are not orcs.<P>Even I am frustrated by this. In fact, I'm frustrated by this guy the whole time he's on screen. I have no Best Line.<P>Sorry about that.
Old 03-04-2003, 06:20 AM   #142
Quirkette
Haunting Spirit

Quirkette has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Okay, here's a best line.<BR> <BR>"A wizard should know better!"<P>Not thrilled about that, but it will have to do.
Old 03-05-2003, 10:24 PM   #143
Calenamarthiel
Pile O'Bones

Calenamarthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Treebeard/Fangorn:<P>Best Line(s):<P>"Tree? I am no tree. I am an Ent."<P>"I have told your names to the Entmoot. We have just agreed. . . you are not orcs."<P>"There is no curse in Elvish, Entish or the tongues of men for this treachery."<P>Worst Line:<P>"This is not our war."<P>This for me was the worst line because it was so unlike Treebeard's character in the book. <P>
Old 03-21-2003, 08:34 AM   #144
Airehiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Is it time to pick a winner yet?
Old 03-21-2003, 03:31 PM   #145
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Firondoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Treebeard's best...<P>1."Rárum-rum! Come my friends. The Ents are going to war. It is likely that we go to our doom. The last march of the Ents."<P>2. "It takes a long time to say anything in old Entish, and we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say."<P>Worst...<P>1. "The Ents cannot hold back this war. We must weather such things as we have always done."<P>2."You are young and brave, master Merry. But your part in this tale is over. Go back to your home."
"Forth, and fear no darkness. Arise. Arise, Riders of Théoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered. A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"
Firondoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 04:41 PM   #146
Taurëien

Sting

Fangorn:s best line: -Side? I am on nobodys side, becaus nobody is on my side.<BR>and<BR>-I always like going south, some how it feels like going down hill.<BR>and many more...<P>Worse oesn't exist... <P>Nai i heru ello i taurë na o ler.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:08 PM   #147
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

Results for Treebeard:<P>There was a tie for Best,<P><UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>"It takes a long time to say anything in old Entish, and we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say."<BR><LI>"Rárum-rum! Come my friends. The Ents are going to war. It is likely that we go to our doom. The last march of the Ents."<BR></UL><P>And the award for "Winner of the Most Votes for 'Worst Line' for Any Character So Far" goes to: <I>*drumroll please*</I><P><UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>"The Ents cannot hold back this war. We must weather such things as we have always done."<BR></UL><P>Let's do <B>Aragorn</B> now, shall we?
Old 03-26-2003, 11:22 AM   #148
Airehiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Aragorn - Best and Worst lines:<P>Best: -It's the beards. (when Gimli is explaining dwarf women)<P>-They do not come to destroy Rohan’s crops or villages. They come to destroy its people. Down to the last child! (Cutting right to the point)<P>I have no submission for worst line, at least not yet.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:37 PM   #149
GlingleglingleglingleFairy
Animated Skeleton

GlingleglingleglingleFairy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This isn't just Aragorn but I hate the bit where he's dreaming of Arwen and says "I am dreaming" and she replies "then it is a good dream". How's that for dodgy? (or maybe it's just me)

Some people prefer cupcakes. I for one care less for them.
GlingleglingleglingleFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 05:24 PM   #150
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aragorn's best:<BR>- War is upon you...can't remember the rest of the line, guess thats a sign I need to watch it again! <BR>- Then I shall die as one of them!<BR>- ...To destroy the world of men<BR> Can't think of any worst lines<P>Oh hey I'm a Shade! Go me!!
Old 03-30-2003, 11:24 AM   #151
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Beruthiel, it's "Open war is upon you, whther you would risk it or not." <P>Best~When he is describing Merry and Pip's escape from the Rohirrim/Uruk tangle. It's just really really cool. That and "Then I shall die as one of them!"<P>Worst~Hmmmm...thinking...thinking...think ing...? Ok! "It was a dream, Arwen, nothing more." That just sounds really harsh and mean, like "I hate you it hurts me to look at you go away!"
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 11:38 AM   #152
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

I liked "Riders of Rohan! What news from the Mark?" but have not quite decided which one is the <I>best.</I> Or the worst, for that matter.
Old 03-30-2003, 01:45 PM   #153
BethoHOG
Haunting Spirit

BethoHOG has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to BethoHOG
Sting

<B>Best:</B> <BR>"For Rohan. For your people."<BR> <BR>"Then I shall die as one of them!"<P>"Ú-moe edhored, Legolas."<BR>["There is nothing to forgive, Legolas."] <P><B>Worst:</B> <BR>"This is a dream." <P>"I'm mortal. You are elfkind. It was a dream Arwen, nothing more. This belongs to you."<p>[ March 30, 2003: Message edited by: BethoHOG ]
Old 04-02-2003, 11:24 AM   #154
Calenamarthiel
Pile O'Bones

Calenamarthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aragorn ~<P>Best Line/s:<P>"Open war is upon you, whether you would risk it or not."<P>I also liked when he says to Eowyn:<P>"You are a daughter of kings, a shieldmaiden of Rohan. I do not think that will be your fate."<P>I can't decide on a worst line as of yet.