The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
WW XCV: The Town Cobbler (Message Inbox/Admin Thread)

Tol-in-Gaurhoth XCV: The Town Cobbler

You have all received a message offering you, a respected member of the Barrow-Downs, the opportunity to meet someone you understand to be a Tolkien expert (who has chosen to not reveal their name, simply calling themself ‘SS’). When you arrive at the location, an inn known as the Town Cobbler, you find that you were not the only person selected. The expert will join you the following morning to converse with anyone who remains at the Cobbler until morning.

Unbeknownst to most of you, a small portion of the group has been planted to ensure that the people meeting with the expert are worthy of being involved in the upcoming discussion. They will privately converse from time to time and inform SS and their staff of their findings to recommend removal of certain attendees from the guest list. Some of the more astute or suspicious members of the group may notice this and try to change the others’ recommendations or even reveal their plans to the rest of the group.

You all have a cell phone and the numbers of the others in the group, but the signal is terrible, so you have no means of communicating privately unless the cell service improves.

~~~~~~~~

The Roles

The committee (wolves): Selected by SS, the committee have been instructed to see which of the group is best-suited to meet with SS. They have been given no specific criteria, however, so they must rely on their own judgement when recommending the ejection of others. The size of the committee will depend on the number of guests who come to the Cobbler.

The eavesdropper (seer): Interested to know how SS is choosing their guests, the eavesdropper will listen in on side conversations, ask probing questions, and possibly even sneak off with others’ phones in an attempt to get information. Their stealth and cunning will be rewarded with the secrets (role) of one person during every other hour (at the end of each Night phase).

The apologist (ranger): The apologist is aware of the committee (though not their identities) and has been chosen by SS to be a failsafe against flawed judgement in the committee. The apologist can attempt to convince SS that the committee’s choice is invalid, and if SS agrees, the person will be allowed to remain at the Cobbler. (The ranger will function as a normal ranger. They are able to protect themself once, and may protect the same person twice in a row, but only once.)

The sore loser (hunter): If asked to leave, this attendee will force someone else to leave with them, whether by starting a fight or by accusing the other person of not having been invited or whatever. Their target will be forced to leave regardless of whether they are on the committee.

Everyone else who has been called to the Cobbler is simply there to meet SS.

The Rules

The deadline is 5pm CDT. (I can switch to 4pm CDT if necessary, but I’d prefer not to do so.)

Ties will result in no one exiting the game.

All players may post on the thread at all times. Each phase of the game will represent a single hour spent in the Cobbler.

Though Days and Nights technically do not exist in this game, wolves may only PM during “Night” phases.

Failing to vote on any two Days of the game (not consecutively) without reasoning will result in your vote being cast toward a random person in the game (decided by die roll). You will be included in your own absentee roll.

Votes must be highlighted and time-stamped at or before X:00. Anything time-stamped after the hour will not be counted.

The game will begin with a Day phase; thus, the committee will not be able to discuss anything until the end of the first hour (allowing time for the group to meet, mingle, and then sort of get to business). I am happy to take suggestions on whether it would be a terrible idea to not reveal the other committee members until the end of the first Day phase.

Modfire will occur in the case of a broken rule, but otherwise players will remain for the duration of the game (please see above for absenteeism).

All choices must be submitted at least an hour before deadline. If I do not receive a pick by that time, your choice is invalidated.

All roles will be chosen randomly.

In-Game Logistics

Role-playing is strongly encouraged. Though you may discover the narrational twist to this game, please try not to ruin it for others in the thread.

I must be included in all private communications (with the obvious exceptions of the committee). You may not re-post "text messages" from any source (see below).

Outside Communication/Roaming

From time to time you may hear snatches of conversation from the upstairs room (where SS and/or her associates will be in conference for the evening). To “hear” parts of this conversation, you will have to listen carefully (by going here and looking for anything with the #BDTiG tag, so, you know, you actually have to make an effort). There is no mechanical benefit to be gained from eavesdropping; it’s purely for fun.

Likewise, you may discover that SS has overheard and thus texted you (though you've no idea how they got your number). These messages may provide you with additional information, such as whether SS thinks the committee made a wise decision, how they think the group is shaping up, etc. These may confer in-game benefits, but will not blatantly spoil anything in the game. You can choose to check your phone at your leisure; those who like narrational hints may find these texts to be entertaining.

Every phase, one person will be randomly selected to be able to send a message to one other person in the game (this person must still be in the Cobbler, and if a wolf is selected, they may not PM a packmate). If that person chooses to respond, they must do so within 24 RL hours. The original sender may not reply to this message.

When a person exits the game (regardless of the manner of their departure), they may send a message to one person still in the Cobbler. It must be fewer than 50 words. The recipient must not reply.

This game can theoretically run with fewer than ten people. Sign-ups will close when we reach 15 players or at DL on Friday, April 6.

Attendees:
Rikae
Lottiepop
Shasta
Dun
Greenie
Agan
Nog
Vanilwa
Mac
The McCobbler

Last edited by satansaloser2005; 04-13-2012 at 08:34 AM.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
sally, you're cruel. You had to start such a delicious game when I can't be in it.

(in a week I'm going away for a week... so in other words, unless signups take 2 weeks I can't be in. )

Edit: yeah, no, after seeing the last addition about when you want to start, I'm afraid I can't make it.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 04-01-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I finish my Freshman Essay tomorrow. I...will have free time. It is a strange concept to me. I shall revel in it. Sign me up.

And now, I shall disappear into my hole again until tomorrow evening.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
Bom Tombadillo
Wight

Bom Tombadillo has just left Hobbiton.
This sounds . . . interesting. My brain is probably going to fry trying to make sense of the changes here if I do join.

Just to be clear: Those of us without special roles function as normal ordos, right? That is, we will be able to vote others out on suspicion of wolvery? I see no narrative justification for it, which is why I'm asking, but it seems like it would be - well, no offense, but a rather boring game without that capability.

Also . . . CDT? When is that relative to UTC? (Apologies for my ignorance).
Old 04-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bom Tombadillo View Post
This sounds . . . interesting. My brain is probably going to fry trying to make sense of the changes here if I do join.

Just to be clear: Those of us without special roles function as normal ordos, right? That is, we will be able to vote others out on suspicion of wolvery? I see no narrative justification for it, which is why I'm asking, but it seems like it would be - well, no offense, but a rather boring game without that capability.

Also . . . CDT? When is that relative to UTC? (Apologies for my ignorance).
They're trying to eliminate the competition, as it were, to see the expert. So they're not evil, but they are standing in the way of your goal.

And yes, anyone without another role is just another person vying to meet the expert.

I'll look into the whole timey-wimey thing.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #6
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I sign up.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
It seems you're in need of lynch-fodder, and I fit the bill admirably, I think. Sign me up.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #8
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Fantastic! More people!

If we can get about half a dozen or so more to join, we'll be able to get started. Start twisting arms, my lovelies!
Old 04-06-2012, 02:54 AM   #9
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Aww, looks sweet! I'm in if you start after Wednesday, I don't think I have time before that with a small invasion of 'Downers here. (And I believe Lommy, Agan, Legate, Nog and Kath are more or less in the same situation, so you might do well to wait until then.. )
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:52 AM   #10
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

*appears mysteriously from the darkness*

The Muffin is in.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #11
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
If it's after Sunday, you know I won't be able to, but it's looking unlikely to start by Sunday. Have fun my lovelies and and fellow corpses.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #12
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
Aww, looks sweet! I'm in if you start after Wednesday, I don't think I have time before that with a small invasion of 'Downers here. (And I believe Lommy, Agan, Legate, Nog and Kath are more or less in the same situation, so you might do well to wait until then.. )
Exactly.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #13
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Are sign-ups still open? (looks like they are)

If so, sign me up!

I'm going to be sooo rusty...
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #14
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Though it pains me to not have my sweet prince play, I will be keeping the game open until Wednesday. Now go find more people!

P.S. Huzzah, a Mac!
Old 04-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #15
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Mac is here, vanilwamuffin is here, and I can't be here! *wails*
Old 04-08-2012, 03:24 AM   #16
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I think I will be able to play in this one.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #17
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Every time I think I'm out, they pull me back in. Alright, sally, sign me up.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:30 PM   #18
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber View Post
Every time I think I'm out, they pull me back in.
Quite right, sir. (Also, squee!)
Old 04-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #19
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

I am waiting for an answer from one more person, so we won't be starting until tomorrow, but all roles will be out by then and Day 1 (yes, I said Day 1, not Night 1) will begin Friday at 5pm CDT (in about 35 hours). Thanks for your patience.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #20
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Ooops I'm such a failure! I'm in if I'm not too late.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
Old 04-13-2012, 08:34 AM   #21
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
Ooops I'm such a failure! I'm in if I'm not too late.
Hey, wait a minute, you were on the list a second ago. Whoopsies. I must have accidentally deleted you just now, sorry.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #22
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally
Hey, wait a minute, you were on the list a second ago. Whoopsies. I must have accidentally deleted you just now, sorry.
No worries, hun! Also - Muffin, Mac, and McCaber all playing? Wheeeeeeeeeee!
Old 04-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #23
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I AM SO SORRY. I completely, totally forgot about this. Luckily, I didn't miss too much, but still! I'll be sure not to do that again.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #24
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Sorry guys - I'm not playing. I had absolutely no idea I had been added to the player list because I never talked about this with anyone and I am too busy now, anyway. I hope my ghost presence didn't cause too much discomfort.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:56 AM   #25
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

And this is the second time in a row I've simply forgotten the game is on! That, I believe, is a clear sign that I have way, way too much on my plate right now. I believe I will have to withdraw. I'm so, so sorry, folks. Won't do this again, I promise.