The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2012, 04:09 AM   #41
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

I do agree with Nerwen's last post. Problem is that it's a smart post for a wolf to make. Given Inzil's suspicion of Kitanna, especially the nature of that suspicion (based on 'feel') any subsequent vote for Kitanna is going to be scrutinised.

Would a wolf-Sally walk into that, though? Probably not, though maybe.

It's a really small village and the wolves could win quickly. They could be trying a bold manoeuvre. Say, wolf-Inzil spies their first victim (Kitanna made early posts) and sets it up for Sally to make the vote. Nerwen then jumps in to criticise that vote.

We could be looking at a move here. Inzil plus either Sally or Nerwen as packmates.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:15 AM   #42
Nessa Telrunya
Shade of Carn Dűm

Nessa Telrunya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Nessa Telrunya
I'm back! And it appears quite a bit(of banter? ) has ocurred in my absence. There are votes already, as well! I can see the Kit suspicion as being relatively okay considering it's only day 1 with not much to go on - we're all pretty much grasping for straws.

But I'm not sure I like the way sally ends up latching onto Inzil's random unease with Kit, admittedly upon much the same reasoning.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:19 AM   #43
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim View Post
I do agree with Nerwen's last post. Problem is that it's a smart post for a wolf to make. Given Inzil's suspicion of Kitanna, especially the nature of that suspicion (based on 'feel') any subsequent vote for Kitanna is going to be scrutinised.

Would a wolf-Sally walk into that, though? Probably not, though maybe.

It's a really small village and the wolves could win quickly. They could be trying a bold manoeuvre. Say, wolf-Inzil spies their first victim (Kitanna made early posts) and sets it up for Sally to make the vote. Nerwen then jumps in to criticise that vote.

We could be looking at a move here. Inzil plus either Sally or Nerwen as packmates.
And I agree with your last post– to the extent that since the stakes are higher than usual, the wolves might well be more active in steering the lynch than on most Day Ones. But you see, that also explains why even an experienced wolf might risk targeting someone already suspecting, rather than just sitting back letting the lynch take its course (as they can often afford to do at this point). So your logic cuts both ways, I think.

EDIT:X'd with Nessa.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:23 AM   #44
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
But hey, now that the general paranoia's getting into swing (as is right and proper), I'm not sure I like the way Nessa's latching on to my suspicion of Sally's latching on to Inzil's suspicion.... complicated, isn't it?
Old 08-11-2012, 05:28 AM   #45
Nessa Telrunya
Shade of Carn Dűm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
But hey, now that the general paranoia's getting into swing (as is right and proper), I'm not sure I like the way Nessa's latching on to my suspicion of Sally's latching on to Inzil's suspicion.... complicated, isn't it?
But how do I feel about you latching onto my latching onto you latching onto sally?
Old 08-11-2012, 05:38 AM   #46
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dűm

Coppermirror is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
If Pitchwife doesn't post today, he'll be mod-fired. That would be great if he's a wolf, but if he's an innocent villager, it's not so good. It's 11:35 GMT now, if the internet's not lying to me, and I believe that 2:00 GMT is the deadline. (If it's not, someone please correct me.)

Worst case scenario lists:

If Pitchwife is innocent and mod-fired...
DAY 1: We lynch someone innocent. Wolves 3, Villagers 6.
Also, Pitchwife is mod-fired and he's innocent. Wolves 3, Villagers 5.
NIGHT 2: Wolves 3, Villagers 4.
DAY 2: We lynch someone innocent. Wolves 3, Villagers 3, we lose.

Whereas if an innocent Pitchwife posts in time...
DAY 1: We lynch someone innocent. Wolves 3, Villagers 6.
NIGHT 2: Wolves 3, Villagers 5.
DAY 2: We lynch someone innocent. Wolves 3, Villagers 4.
NIGHT 3: Wolves 3, Villagers 3.

So...for the purpose of avoiding losing the game in two days and not looking further than that, I suppose it doesn't matter too much whether or not we lose an innocent Pitchwife in addition, because if don't find a wolf in those days, we lose anyway. For the longer term, it's more of a problem.
Coppermirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:52 AM   #47
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Quote:
that also explains why even an experienced wolf might risk targeting someone already suspecting, rather than just sitting back letting the lynch take its course (as they can often afford to do at this point). So your logic cuts both ways, I think.
Oh absolutely. I would never discount the option of killing Sally.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:58 AM   #48
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I made it back after all, though only briefly.

My hope in postponing my vote was that something else interesting would transpire in the meantime, and Eomer and Pitch might show up. Only one of the twain though, I see.

It is a bit suspicious the way Sally latched onto what I said about Kit. Funny thing is, I was trying earlier to bait the hook with Coppermirror, not Kit.

Like Eomer said though, I have to wonder if a Sallywolf would be so quick to do that. I guess if she was trying to get in a vote in a hurry, it's not impossible.

Then Nerwen casts a bit of suspicion Sally's way, which Nessa responds to.

Do I stick with Kit? Go for Sally? Nessa?

Hmm.

x/d with Eomer
Old 08-11-2012, 06:17 AM   #49
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Right, then.

I'm going to stay with Kit. If she turns out evil, Nerwen, and especially Nessa, might be packmates. If innocent, Sally will look pretty bad in my eyes.

++Kitanna
Old 08-11-2012, 06:31 AM   #50
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Funnily enough, I was going to say relatively the same thing... only replacing your name with Eomer's. Hmm. I do need to vote (I'm about to hit the hay), so I think I'm going to go ahead and vote for -

++Nessa
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:34 AM   #51
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

So two votes for Kitanna. Sally and then Inzil voted for her.

Then Shasta votes for Nessa. Hrm. Is the deadline in half an hour?
Old 08-11-2012, 06:38 AM   #52
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Is the deadline in half an hour?
I believe it is.
I guess I woke up just in time to see votes garnered against me for being vaguely uncomfortable and creepy. Hooray.

I'll probably vote for Zil at this point. Because I don't like his "Kit strikes me as a bit off, but it's really a thin thing." and "I was trying earlier to bait the hook with Coppermirror, not Kit."
Old 08-11-2012, 06:43 AM   #53
Nessa Telrunya
Shade of Carn Dűm

Well, it's almost DL, and I don't really see any developments that make me outright suspect anyone. Even with what I said earlier about sally, it's not enough to warrant a vote from me. So...

++Pitchwife

Just because I haven't heard that much from him - and I'd hate to vote for people I already know don't ring bells for me.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:48 AM   #54
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

At the risk of defending her and creating a sort of 'faction', there's something weird about Inzil's insistence on Kitanna. Trying to bait Coppermirror but ending up with Kit? I've just re-read the thread and I don't really see it.

Also, not at all clear how he feels he can judge Nerwen or Nessa's role by discovery of Kitanna's.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:49 AM   #55
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dűm

I don't have a lot to go on here, but...

++Nessa

My reasons: I don't believe that a vote for Pitchwife is a useful vote at the moment, as I think he won't show up and will get mod-fired anyway. I thought of voting for him earlier, but working through it in my previous post persuaded me that it wasn't a good idea. I may be wrong, but that's the basis for my vote.

As well as that, Nessa was involved in that speculation earlier. I don't really get what was going on, but it could have been used as cover for a wolf.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:49 AM   #56
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
OK, a list to help me find someone for the vote. I have a bad feeling doing this, since I basically suspect no one and am paranoid about more than half...

Coppermirror does some maths and makes some good observations. If some signs of newbishness don't count as a reason, then I have no reason to vote her - even if I would ever vote a new player on D1.

Inzil strikes me as more innocent than not. His vote might be less popular now than it would have been had sally not voted, but it's not his fault that this happened since his suspicion was in first. So a lose-lose situation which is not a reason for me to point fingers at him.

sally, as I said before, raises eyebrows with her vote, but on the other hand... did she really have a choice? That early on nothing happens, and only 2 or so players were actually active - ie more than a couple empty posts. Again, a lose-lose situation for her. I think I will refrain voting her toDay, and see what happens toMorrow. Today she's forgiven, but if she repeats toMorrow, not that will be an eyebrow raiser for real.

Kit gives me the Kit feel I always get from her, even when we're not playing WW. Says nothing. Dunno.

Nerwen makes me wary. Actually, she might have my vote. It's not that her points aren't true (gosh, when are they not? She's Nerwen!) or that they have a specific wolfy ring to them, but there's this feel. Just... this vibe.

Eomer makes a good observation about Nerwen, but not without a stretch. And I think the Zil and sally part of it is aso a bit stretchy. But it has some good ground to it too. Anyways, I don't have a reason to vote him now.

Nessa is under the radar. No vote for her either way since she's back from a very long break.

Shasta is also under the radar. Now that's bad. A Shasta has to stay above the reindeer at all times.

Pitch - I'm loathe to vote someone who's not there.

So I suppose I'm voting Nerwen?... I hope people talk some more in the last 15 minutes so that at least there are proper posts everyone.

Edit: xed since Zil's vote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:50 AM   #57
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

If he had picked on innocent Kitanna, though, Inzil has vowed to go after Sally. So it seems unlikely that, if he's wolvish, that Sally is too.

Ah, good old deadline doubt and confusion!
Old 08-11-2012, 06:52 AM   #58
Nessa Telrunya
Shade of Carn Dűm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppermirror View Post

As well as that, Nessa was involved in that speculation earlier. I don't really get what was going on, but it could have been used as cover for a wolf.
Which speculation was this?
Old 08-11-2012, 06:57 AM   #59
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dűm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessa Telrunya View Post
Which speculation was this?
This bit:

Quote:
But I'm not sure I like the way sally ends up latching onto Inzil's random unease with Kit, admittedly upon much the same reasoning.
Quote:
But how do I feel about you latching onto my latching onto you latching onto sally?
Although in that, others are saying more or less the same things...Anyway, that's not why I voted for you. I'm afraid my suspicion isn't very strong at all, but I had to pick someone.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:57 AM   #60
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

Drat and bebother this village. I don't like either of the two votes for Nessa NOR do I like Nessa's vote for Pitch.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:57 AM   #61
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Really don't like Nessa's vote. True, she's back from a break, but even so this is a kind of vote it is so easy to hide behind! "You all look innocent s I'll go for someone who's not there without any reasoning!"

We judge people by their votes. How are we supposed to judge a person whose vote is not only a throwaway, but also for a person who in no way warrated it because he's not even there?!

I think Nessa might even have risen to Nerwen's height on my list.

Edit: xed since my last.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:59 AM   #62
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
++Inziladun

I don't trust anything he's said. I'm especially annoyed that he claimed to "bait" Coppermirror, but accused me. This sort of behavior (and you can replace my name with any other villager here) seems too much like a wolf trap.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:00 AM   #63
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Stick with Nerwen? Throwaway. Since I'm -ed with Nessa's vote, it might make more sense for me to vote her. That way I'm going to accomplish something with my vote at least, at risk of being accused of "latching on to latchers-on".

++Nessa

Edit: xed with Kit
Old 08-11-2012, 07:01 AM   #64
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

Arg. Is it deadline yet? I think so, um, let me vote.

++SALLY
Old 08-11-2012, 07:02 AM   #65
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
There was a knock on Nessa Telrunya's door. She opened it to see all the townsfolk standing there wielding torches and pitchforks.

"Wh- What's all this about? I haven't done anything, have I? And shouldn't you be looking for Pitchwife?"

"Don't try to protest," said G55. "We know what you are. We all do."

"Wait!" shouted Sally. "What about Kitanna? This could all be her doing!"

"How do we know you're not trying to trick us?" responded Eomer. "Wait, where's Nessa?"

Nessa had attempted to escape during the argument, but was caught by Inzil and Shasta, who forcibly led her to the gallows.

"You and your superstitions! I only use herbal medicine to help people! I'm not a witch!" pleaded Nessa.

"We're not hanging you for witchcraft," said G55.

"Oh? So am I...?" Nessa. looked confused.

Inzil clarified. "We're hanging you for being a werewolf."

The expression on Nessa's face suddenly changed to a wicked grin. "Well if that's your accusation, than I'm guilty as charged." With that she started to grow in stature and sprouted dark hair all over her body. With great strength, she threw off the villagers restraining her before dropping to all fours and growing nasty yellow fangs. An enormous grey wolf now stood where the midwife had been.

The villagers looked on in horror as the beast lunged toward them. With the strength of pure terror, they barely managed to beat back the wolf with their pitchforks while their torches seared its fur and flesh. With a great howl, the wolf finally collapsed dead.

Saruman, watching the scene from the Palantir, swore under his breath.
---------------------------------------

The Living
Coppermirror: Toymaker
Eomer of the Rohirrim: Tavern lackey
Galadriel55: Half-deaf tapestry weaver
Inziladun: Baker
Kitanna: Cranky hermit
Nerwen: Horse trader of doubtful integrity
Pitchwife: Grumpy old man
satansaloser2005: Wandering minstrel
Shastanis Althreduin: Wandering minstrel

The Dead
Meneltarmacil (Moderator): Gutted by wolves on Night 1
Nessa Telrunya (Werewolf): Beaten and burned by villagers on Day 1

It is now Night 2. Wolves may PM, everone else must be silent. I need names from Radagast and the wolves.

Last edited by Meneltarmacil; 08-13-2012 at 02:32 AM.
Meneltarmacil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:59 AM   #66
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
There came a knock on Nerwen's door.

"We're closed for the night. You'll have to come again."

The knock came again, this time with a lot of growling and snarling.

Another dissatisfied customer, thought the horse trader. Haven't they ever heard of "Let the buyer beware?" "Listen, I told you up front there were no refunds, and the sign outside should have made things clear," she said, walking over to the door and opening it. "Now if you don't leav-AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!"

The villagers found what was left of Nerwen's corpse impaled upon her "No Refunds For Defective Merchandise" sign the next morning.

---------------------------------------
The Living
Coppermirror: Toymaker
Eomer of the Rohirrim: Tavern lackey
Galadriel55: Half-deaf tapestry weaver
Inziladun: Baker
Kitanna: Cranky hermit
Pitchwife: Grumpy old man
satansaloser2005: Wandering minstrel
Shastanis Althreduin: Wandering minstrel

The Dead
Meneltarmacil (Moderator): Gutted by wolves on Night 1
Nessa Telrunya (Werewolf): Beaten and burned by villagers on Day 1
Nerwen (Ordinary Villager): Impaled by wolves on Night 2

Day 2 has begun. Wolves, stop PMing. Villagers, start your discussions.

Last edited by Meneltarmacil; 08-13-2012 at 02:31 AM.
Meneltarmacil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:20 AM   #67
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dűm

Whoa, so they took Nerwen. I'm really surprised. They must have thought she was the Seer. I thought she was a possible Seer too, but evidently not. I was sure that they would go for me or for Galadriel55, unless they thought they could get the Seer.

I wrote up a post earlier. I'll just copy-paste it here with some alterations based on Nerwen's death, and then leave to watch some more of the Olympics. Er, I mean the village hop-scotch championships.

Post I wrote up overnight:

We got a Fenris! Take that, Saruman. (And I am very happy that my first WW vote ever was for a wolf.) My minimum goal for the game has been met: for us to nab a wolf in the first two days and thus not lose in such a short space of time. I don't even mind much if I get eaten, from this point on; I'm already satisfied with this game. Of course, I'll still be working to help us get rid of the other two wolves, but I'm going to relax and enjoy it more. We've now got a fighting chance of victory.

I'm glad that Pitchwife didn't show up yesterDAY, because it meant that Nessa decided to vote for him. I was planning to vote for Nessa anyway, but out of a last minute "I have to vote for somebody and don't want to get on the Kitanna bandwagon or waste my vote!" worry rather than any actual suspicion. But her voting for Pitchwife seemed suspicious and gave me a real reason to vote for her, and also made Galadriel55 suspicious enough to vote. It's great that she really was a wolf.

I'm going to assume from now on that Galadriel55 is innocent. It's possible that she's a wolf playing a very dangerous wolf-on-wolf game having realised that Nessa was looking suspicious and hoping there would be more Kitanna votes, but I don't think that would be a sensible course of action for her. Too risky. So in the absence of further information, Galadriel55 is the closest thing to an innocent in my eyes.

We've got a great amount of information to work on from the first DAY. Quite a few people now look suspicious to me.

Chart of suspicion

Wolf: Nessa (deceased)
Very suspicious: Inziladum
Suspicious: Eomer, Sally
Unknown: Shasta, Pitchwife, Kitanna
Almost certainly innocent: Galadriel55
Innocent: Coppermirror, Nerwen (deceased)

I'll be back later with reasons for the above, though after that I may change my mind and revise my list. And at some point I'll do an analysis of possible wolf packs.

Eomer, you said that you didn't like either of the two votes for Nessa. Why's that? Also, why did you vote for Sally?
Old 08-12-2012, 07:42 AM   #68
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

On the face of it, I don't see anything thus far to have recommended Nerwen to the wolves. She didn't even vote.

To clarify my own vote, I decided that it was more unlikely Sally as a wolf would have latched onto Kit the way she did, than it was that Kit herself was evil. I wasn't all that enthused about voting Kit, I just didn't see any better options.

It's a worthless thing to say, I know, but if I'd seen Nessa's vote for Pitch of all people, that would have changed things for me.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:07 AM   #69
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
"Werewolves? You call that Werewolves? Pathetic puppies, I say! When I was a lad we were raided by wargs so fierce they'd eat every living thing in the Westfold before you could say Ride, Eorlingas!. Good King Thengel and his men gave 'em short shrift though. Ah, those were the Days!" [/belated D1 IC rant]

Seriously, sorry for doing a Kath yesterDay and thanks to Shasta, Cop and Gal for foiling Nessa Fenrinya's attempt on my unprotected life. Speaking of which, I wonder how much hope she had it would succeed - I mean, there had been some talk of submarine-hunting earlier, but lynching somebody who's in danger of modfire anyway would be considered a wasted lynch in most villages, especially one so small.

If, however, she felt she could afford to make a throwaway vote, there must either have been some chance of lynching an innocent at the time she voted - which would speak for Kit and against sally and/or Zil - , or her packmates hadn't voted yet and she was leaving things in their hands - which would point to those who voted after but not for her, i.e. Kit and Eomer (disregarding for now the possibility of wolf-on-wolf votes).

Now if the latter is true and Kit is one of the wolves, that would mean there were two wolves in danger of being lynched yesterDay and no innocent bandwagon to fall back on; which would explain the lack of any concerted attempt to save Nessa. But in this case I'd have expected to find Zil dead toDay instead of Nerwen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppermirror
Eomer, you said that you didn't like either of the two votes for Nessa. Why's that? Also, why did you vote for Sally?
Good questions both, I'd like to hear that too. But Cop, why did you think Nerwen a possible seer?

Last edited by Pitchwife; 08-12-2012 at 08:19 AM. Reason: typo corrected
Pitchwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:14 AM   #70
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
At the risk of defending her and creating a sort of 'faction', there's something weird about Inzil's insistence on Kitanna. Trying to bait Coppermirror but ending up with Kit? I've just re-read the thread and I don't really see it.
I thought it was clear enough. What I said about Coppermirror I saw as both a noteworthy mention, as well as an opportunity to see if anyone else suspiciously latched onto it.
My words about Kit had no such secondary thought behind them.

Quote:
Also, not at all clear how he feels he can judge Nerwen or Nessa's role by discovery of Kitanna's.
I was in a hurry at the time, but I was thinking if Kit turned out to be a wolf, it might be that Nerwen, by casting suspicion on Sally for voting Kit, and Nessa for echoing it, might be packmates of Kit. Obviously, that wasn't the case with Nerwen.

x/d with Pitch
Old 08-12-2012, 08:24 AM   #71
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Nessa's vote looks inexplicable.
I suppose it's possible she put in a vote for a packmate-Pitch, thinking no one else would even consider following her, but that doesn't seem all that likely.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:37 AM   #72
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
This is a horrible thing to say, but I think Nessa's vote actually makes me look bad and Pitch look better. After all, she said things against me and then went after someone random in the end, disregarding her earlier "suspicion" of me.

Of course it's also possible she just hoped to lynch a possibly gifted Pitch in his absence, which would also not surprise me; I didn't go after Eomer for fear of doing exactly that, so I could see a wolf capitalizing on the lack of Pitch and disregarding anything else in hopes of having one less gifted come the Morrow.

Also, Nerwen? Really? Ugh. I needed a horse on the cheap....
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:38 AM   #73
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I thought it was clear enough. What I said about Coppermirror I saw as both a noteworthy mention, as well as an opportunity to see if anyone else suspiciously latched onto it.
My words about Kit had no such secondary thought behind them.
That is indeed how I read your post myself, and in my ears Eomer's distorted paraphrase reads as if he hadn't read it at all but was picking the point second-hand from someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Nessa's vote looks inexplicable.
I suppose it's possible she put in a vote for a packmate-Pitch, thinking no one else would even consider following her, but that doesn't seem all that likely.
Or, as she was already gathering suspicion at the time, she might have voted for packmate-Pitch in order to make me look good in case she ended up lynched; except she didn't because I ain't.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:00 AM   #74
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
This is a horrible thing to say, but I think Nessa's vote actually makes me look bad and Pitch look better.
Indeed, this state of things is intolerable. What can I do that would give you a reason to speak dirty to... er, of me, I mean?
Also, did you have to say such a painfully honest-sounding thing? Meh.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #75
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

Sally voted for Kitanna
Inzil voted for Kitanna
Shasta voted for Nessa
Nessa voted for Pitch
Coppermirror voted for Nessa
Kitanna voted for Inzil
G55 voted for Nessa
Eomer voted for Sally
Old 08-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #76
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

As I was asked about it, I will explain why I didn't like the first two votes for Nessa.

Nessa's post #42 is where it all fell apart for her, which I find.... rather fortuitous. She comments that she suspected Sally's actions in jumping onto Inziladun's train of thought, and voting for Kitanna.

To my mind, there is nothing suspicious here. Wasn't everyone a bit suspicious of what Sally did? But then Nerwen (proven innocent now) suspects Nessa from this, and Shasta jumps in with a vote. Coppermirror then votes for Nessa too, albeit with a better reason (Nessa's vote for Pitch). Coppermirror then clarified that the earlier 'suspicion' of Nessa was not a deciding factor, and so I look more favourably on her now.

G55's vote makes her look very innocent, that's true. I am less inclined to drop my guard around Shasta, however.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #77
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

Inziladun,

Looking back.... I'm not really sure how I got confused!

So, to clarify: you did not really suspect Coppermirror, but were trying to hook a wolf into that particular net. Nothing came of it.

Your suspicion of Kitanna was genuine, and it inadvertently snared someone (Sally: whether good or evil we don't know, of course).

Apologies for being slow!

However, this does nothing to stop me from thinking your suspicion of Kitanna is weird.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #78
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dűm

Just working through my thoughts on Nessa's vote and the wolves' choice to go for Nerwen here. I'll look at the content of the rest of the discussion on this properly once I'm done. (And I still need to write up some analysis...)

Why did Nessa vote for Pitchwife?
Nessa knows whether Pitchwife is innocent or not. She placed her vote at 12:43 PM GMT. Menel in the admin thread said at 12:54 PM GMT that he wouldn't mod-fire Pitchwife on the first day, so Nessa did not know at that time that there would be no mod-firing.

Why would she vote for a Pitchwolf?
At the time she probably thought he would be mod-fired. Then it could be as Pitchwife suggested, with her making a throwaway vote for a packmate in an attempt to look innocent.

Why would she vote for an innocent Pitchwife?
If Kitanna is innocent, Nessa was aware of this and might consider Pitchwife a safe vote. Most people didn't look very suspicious yesterDAY.

If Kitanna is a wolf, Nessa might have thought Pitchwife was a safe vote too, distancing herself from the lynching. She might also have wanted to take attention away from Kitanna. In any case, I think it's unlikely that she was a sacrificial wolf, because I don't think wolves benefit much from a bold strategy here.

Why was Nerwen killed?
She didn't vote. Ordinarily if I heard that in a tale I would see that as a sign that wolves were trying not to be traced, but I'm not sure about it now.

They must have had something to gain from it. If Galadriel and I are both innocent, and perhaps neither of us is Radagast, and Radagast has by now had two dreams...that's a maximum of two probably-innocents and three known innocents. 5 innocents in an 8 person village, along with 2 wolves and 1 other villager. To me it would make sense for the wolves to have got rid of me or Galadriel last NIGHT, to cut down the number of probably-innocents, unless they had a really good idea who Radagast might be. Perhaps they were being reckless and hoping for maximum gain? Their current odds may not be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Good questions both, I'd like to hear that too. But Cop, why did you think Nerwen a possible seer?
She mentioned Nessa a few times, but was fairly mild and reasonable about it. She also mentioned a few other people in a light sort of way, emphasising that she wasn't making accusations. It could have been a subtle way for Radagast to hide an actual suspicion on the first DAY.

Quote:
Okay. Pretty "thin", indeed, but I suppose it's enough to justify Zil's "ill-defined feeling of unease" comment, given this is Day One and there hasn't been that much else to analyse yet. Sally's vote, though, looks pretty opportunistic and her explanation sounds like hedging.

–Also– as a general thing, I find myself looking askance at people (Zil, Nessa, Sally), who paint lack of gifteds or excess of wolves as a positive thing, mostly because there's then statistically less chance of hitting the former than the latter. While true, this quite misses the point. I mean, I suppose one should always look for the silver lining and all that– but it's also often in the lupine interest to play down the village's danger. (None of this is an accusation, mind you– still much too early for that.)
Quote:
Old 08-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #79
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dűm

About Inzil's plan to hook wolves yesterDAY...I do think that what he said was consistent, at least in terms of having me as the target. On the first page he mentioned me in a pointed way about three times, and sounded deliberately unconvinced another time when I explained something to him. He mentioned mild suspicion of Kitanna twice. And really, I thought that my first few posts in the thread looked a little suspicious myself.

Apparently nobody likes to lynch first-time players on the first DAY, so it would have been fairly safe to be suspicious of me and see who reacted. That sort of move wouldn't have been a bad idea to try to stir up discussion on a DAY when it was important for the village not to keep solely to banter.

When I first read the posts on the first DAY, I also felt mildly suspicious of Kitanna. But when I looked at her posts again later in the DAY, I decided it was my imagination. So I think I can see why Inzil might have had a vague feeling of suspicion.

Which is not to say that Inzil isn't still suspicious.

Anyway, in light of things people have said, I think I may need to reconsider my opinions about people's suspiciousness. But that'll be much later. I'll probably be gone for at least the next 9 or 10 hours.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #80
Kitanna
Child of the West

++Zil

I almost didn't make it yesterday. I assumed I'd be lynched because no one else was in the lead. I can't take that chance when I know there's a wolf.

This is a small village and I'd rather sacrifice myself then let Zil live another Night to terrorize and kill.