The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-30-2002, 10:49 AM   #1
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril GCSE

I'm not sure if this is allowed and if it is where it goes so i'll put it here!!
I'm in the middle of my French GCSE and have to do an oral prsentation. now i'm trying really hard to make the teacher let me do it on LOTR. but of course doing useless things in school i have very little vocab. and of course this being a international site i thought someone could help! soo here's the problem, first of all would anyone be kind enough to send be anything about LOTRs in french! Plus you know the french rule of the silent 'S' on the end of a word does it apply to characters, i mean would you get "Le Legola" or is it total different!!
Please help i don't want to have to do the oral on jobs or something equally borning
Old 10-30-2002, 10:55 AM   #2
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Sting

Well I dont know french, just learning it but...
I think Legolas would be pronounced with the S, as it is a name from another language... but I'm just guesing
Old 10-30-2002, 01:29 PM   #3
Melephelwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Melephelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I, too, am just learning French, and I would only be able to send you stuff like "LotR is a book" and such lines... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] But I would say Legolas with the S. It's not a French word/name, and in every other language I know, you pronounce the names as in their origin language. French shouldn't be different.
Guess I'm not at much help... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
And we dance beneath the moon
Melephelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 03:35 PM   #4
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Le Seigneur des Anneaux
(the lord of the rings, obviously [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img])

um...ok... c'est un roman fantaisie.
Frodo, un'hobbit' (un race des personnes courtes) doit de*truire un anneau avant le mauvais seigneur Sauron le trouve. Il est aide* par une compaignie de huit.
mon caracte're favorite est le lutin Legolas, un archer et un guerrier. Comme tous les lutins, il a les cheveux longs et blondes, et les yeux bleus. J'aime aussi le guerrier Aragorn, qui est de*couvri comme un roi.
L'auteur, Tolkien, a e*crit un e*norme*ment d'histoire au sujet de Middle Earth, ou' le roman est pre^t.

"Its a fantasy novel. Frodo, a hobbit (a race of short people) must destroy a ring before the evil lord Sauron finds it. He is helped by a company of eight.
My favourite character is the elf Legolas, an archer and a warrior. Like all elves, he has long blonde hair and blue eyes. I also like the warrior Aragorn, who is revealed as a king.
The author, Tolkien, wrote a vast history about Middle Earth, where the novel is set.

ok... so i know not all the elves are blonde... but that doesnt really matter...
the *'s are for acute accents, and the ' is a grave accent, and the ^ is a roof, obviously. i dont know how to put in actual accents.
theres not much, but its all i could come up with off the top of my head, plus i was using a dictionary cos although i did french, its all gone out of my head [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
i dunno if all the words are correct... but... i tried [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

hope it helps
Old 10-30-2002, 03:48 PM   #5
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

aussi, je trouve que Tolkien englobe beaucoup de sujets, comme amitie*, amour (une lutine (?) a donne* l'immortalite*e pour l'homme l'aimait), et la force a' resister le mauvais de l'anneau.

also, i find that tolkien covered many themes, such as friendship, love, and the strength to resist the evil of the ring.

that was also probably terrible ... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2002, 03:56 PM   #6
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

check out here
Old 10-31-2002, 10:59 AM   #7
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

That's loads of help i'll be able to go in on Monday and wipe that smile right off her face thanks you lot your the best! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]