The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-29-2004, 06:42 AM   #1
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
A Downer Fellowship

There is no point to this thread, it's purely for fun.

If you were Frodo, and if the members of the Fellowship were to be replaced by Downers, who would you replace with whom?

There are two rules for this thread (so I suppose I'm one of Sharkey's ruffians):

1) you must work through the whole Fellowship
2) you must give a brief reason for each choice

To get things rolling, my Downs Fellowship would be:

Gandalf: the Barrow-Wight himself, obviously. Where would the Downs be without this mover and shaker, bringing it all into being and quietly but surely guiding it?

Aragorn: Estelyn Telcontar, just because she will be so happy to see this.

Boromir: Child of the Seventh Age, thanks to her formidable presence on the thread, and the fact that I'm not entirely sure about her motives.

Legolas: Bethberry is the most Elvish Downer I know.

Gimli: Himaran, simply because I am beginning to think that he really is a Dwarf!

Pippin: The Perky Ent. Enough said.

Merry: davem, but only because davem himself has made me realise that Merry is learned, a bit of a lone wolf, a bit odd, and much more complex than he at first appears. . .just like davem!

Sam: SaucepanMan, because he loves his beer, his family, and he always carries his pots with him.

EDIT The following is posted below in post #20; as it constitutes something of a rule change, I am copying it here for the benefit of newcomers to the thread:

Quote:
I could go on and on and list every character from The Lord of the Rings but I shall not do that until Fordim gives the go ahead.
Fordim has already opened the floor to filling the roles of the baddies with Downers! Above I provided the following list:

Quote:
The Witch-King of Angmar: Pio as she is a leader whom you do not want to cross!

The Balrog: The Wight himself, because sometimes he just scares the living bejeesus out of me ("Ai, Ai!").

Saruman: davem because I fear he may know more than is good for him.

Shelob: A very tricky one indeed, but I shall have to say Mithalwen for I have learned how dangerous it is to cross her.

The Watcher in the Water: Son of Numenor, as he's always lurking, alway ready to pounce, and always able to go right after the most important part of any discussion; also, no matter how many tentacles you cut off, there's always more (OK, I don't really know what that last part means. . .)

Assorted orcs: Well, Kransha, obviously.
Other posters have already opened the floor to Faramir, Eowyn and Arwen, so I suppose that they are fair game now too.

As the progenitor and patron saint of this thread, however, I will use my power to tweak the rules once more:

1. Posters may cast other characters of or from LotR after they have provided a full list for the Fellowship itself or for the baddies.

2. To avoid hundreds of posts that consist of single-character attribution, you must provide either a Fellowship list, or a Baddies List before any extra casting. For posters who have already provided a Fellowship or a Baddies list, however, they can go ahead with any extra casting they wish.

I am a dictator. I crave power. Bow down to me all and obey my rules.

Last edited by Fordim Hedgethistle; 09-02-2004 at 08:21 AM.
Fordim Hedgethistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 09:08 AM   #2
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

Fordim,

"Boromir?" Ack! Now you've gone and done it. What a dreadful fate!

Are the persons honored allowed to register formal complaints? Child as Boromir ....."thanks to her formidable presence on the thread, and the fact that I'm not entirely sure about her motives......" (By the way, what do you mean when you refer to "the thread"? And I won't even ask about my motives...)

Many people are intrigued by Boromir and the theme of repentance, especially as depicted in the movies, but I am not among among their number. If truth be told, I have been one of Faramir's "fangirls" for endless years and could sense very early that a tiny piece of the author lay at the heart of that character. Tolkien tells us Faramir "had a 'bossy' brother." I can be accused of a lengthy list of shortcomings, but being bossy isn't one of them.

However, please do not change your designation. I will save the post in my scrapbook of cherished memories.

I wonder if there are any others who will quail when they see their name in this spot?

Now, on to the real purpose of this thread. Here is my take on the characters. You haven't said that we can't include ourselves in this list, so I am going to do that. And I just can't narrow my choices to one: the talent here is too rich, so I am going to "cheat".

Gandalf - BW certainly would be excellent in this spot, but I will make another suggestion: that of Fordim . He puts forward good ideas (usually ). He waves his staff and folk appear, helping him to achieve his goal by offering interesting ideas on the threads he's started.

Merry - Heren Istarion is one of the most helpful and fun people on the Downs and often comes up with insights out of nowhere that show, underneath that friendly exterior, quiet thoughts run deep.

Pippin - Bird is long retired from the site but her older posts still make me laugh more than any others. For a current poster, and for similar reasons although with a different style of humor, I would pick Lush .

Samwise - Me -- Child I am definitely a Hobbit. I was born a Harfoot and, despite many changes in my life, I am still a Harfoot. I admire the Frodos of the world with all my heart, but can never be one myself. I am stubbornly loyal to those I care for, to the point where I will toss everything out the window to fulfill my obligations to them.

Legolas - I am in a terrible quandry here because I have a three-way tie: Littlemanpoet , Davem , or Bethberry . The quality of their creative endeavor is such that I am sure they must be Elves.

Gimli - Regin Hardhammer All you have to do is look at his avatar.

Aragorn - Another tie: Esty and Pio . I am in awe how both of them handle their forums with grace and finesse, keeping things rolling while respecting the independence of those who come within their demesne. If I had to choose a ruler/leader, I would pick one of them.

Finally, Boromir - I hereby decline this honor for myself and reserve the spot for the Inktomi Slurp spider. I never know what he is up to and he seems to be everywhere at once.

You assume Frodo is a given, but I would select Lyta Underhill , Mark 12_30 , or Nurumaiel . Underneath their polite exteriors, I am convinced there are reflections aplenty: both sweet and sad intermingled, and a longing for something that lies beyond the shores of Middle-earth.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 08-29-2004 at 09:52 AM.
Child of the 7th Age is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 10:44 AM   #3
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

Fordim, you amaze me. It seems like all of my favorite 'new' threads are your doings. My fellowship would have to be...

Gandalf: Keeper of Dol Goldur (don't let him know I said this ). He is extremely intelligent, is also 'street smart' and can work his way out of interesting situations, and his advice is constantly invaluable to me.

Aragorn: Mithalwen, I suppose. PM discussions with her are highly educational, not to mention amusing, and she tends to convey a slight aura of hidden power.

Legolas: Esty. Don't ask why, because I'm not entirely sure. She just seems right for the part.

Gimli: Burrahobbit! Burra's got a bit of a Dwarf-like habit of speaking bluntly, but his intelligence and steadfastness would be quite good to have along.

Boromir: The hardest of all the choices, and reserved for last. I tend to gloss over the fact that he tried to get the Ring in my mind, and see only his good qualities (loyalty, friendship, strength, intelligence, etc) and so I'm thinking that maybe Elennar Starfire should get this role.

Sam: I'll agree with Fordim on this one... Saucie's got Sam.

Merry: Amanaduial the Archer: she's always on top of things, and quick to let you know that you're on the right track (or to give suggestions on what the right track actually is).

Pippen: Morsul the Dark [chocolate chip]. Or Eomer of the Rohirrim. Both widely known for their senses of humor. Eomer also because of the accent.

Wow... that was tough.

Fea

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 09-01-2004 at 06:56 PM. Reason: a PM
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 10:51 AM   #4
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Boromir Earnest, driven, valiant, always one of the first into the fray; strong with strong opinions, occasionally retracted; -- davem.

Gandalf: Hidden and too-easily-overlooked reserves of power, wisdom, and insight? Mister Underhill.

Aragorn: Quiet, authoritative, knowledgeable, and steady: Mithadan.

Legolas: Soft tread, sure aim, far sight, gentle humor, skilled storytelling. littlemanpoet.

Gimli: Dependable, hardworking, stout, reliable, and not one to back down from a quarrel: Imladris.

Merry: If he can organize a quest as well as he can organize his thoughts, we're all set. Fordim

Pippin: Energetic, affable, courageous, surprisingly resourceful, and unquenchably cheerful-- Heren-Istarion.

Sam: Sharon. She said it best.

Frodo: I'll agree with Sharon on this, too.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:43 PM   #5
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots A ship of fellows

A mirthful thread indeed, Mr. Hedgethistle. And at my back I now must hear the panting breaths of fangirls hurrying near?

But what is this? Something uncanonical! Women in the Fellowship? Who allows such cross dressing? Not I. I shall limit my selection to male members of the Downs and left the disstaff side be representd on another thread for the female characters, perhaps set up by a gentleman as gracious and mirthful as Heren Istarion.

Placing my finger aside my nose, my nominees are these:

Frodo: Son of Númenor, for his serious side, and also because I suspect he would not look askance at the chance to relieve Farmer Maggot of a few mushrooms.

Sam: davem, for his persistence and dedication and also for his knowledge of folklore, or perhaps Essex.

Merry: Heren Istarion, for his cheerful dedication to learning English as the Professor would want us to.

Pippin: Rimbaud, the boy who won't grow up (although I agree that Perky would be a good choice as well).

Legolas: Envinyatar, whose ears may be pointy or not but whose pen is as straight and true as an elven arrow and who is more far-sighted than many realise.

Gimli: SaucepanMan, for his fascination with the implements of metal works. And because sitting at the dock of the bay is one way to describe Gimli's sailing west.

Boromir: none other than Fordim Hedgethistle himself, for the temptation of the Canonicity thread.

Aragorn: Kransha, for his eye to military traditions

Gandalf the Grey: Mr. Underhill, whose courtesy and wit abounds and whose magic with the wands of programming has helped BW maintain the site

Gandalf the White: Squatter of Amon Rűdh, who has been know to post with a bite such as The White is allowed, and whose own programming skills helped complete the site's move to new and better programming.

(Well, okay, this last one is fudging things a bit, but that's what mirth is for, right?)

scampishly submitted,
hey dol merry dol

Last edited by Bęthberry; 08-29-2004 at 12:49 PM.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 05:10 PM   #6
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry
Aragorn: Kransha, for his eye to military traditions
O fair Bethberry, I know not what to say! When I first saw the purpose of this thread, I though 'pity that this applies only to Fellowship members, for I shall never be picked.' I fancy I'm more like Erestor of Barliman Butterbur, with my semi-intelligent pretentiousness. Never had I dreamed of being equated with such a pivotal and crucial role. Many, many thanks *wonders what I would look like with a broken sword and a much greasier beard*.

For my ideal Fellowship...erm...

Gandalf: Guess who...yes, that's right: Fordim Hedgethistle Esq.. His reputations record-breaking prowess is proof enough. He has the intelligence and good-naturedness of Gandalf the Grey, perhaps not cranky or decrepit enough to be Gandalf the White, but the right amount of canonical righteousness.

Aragorn: Estelyn Telcontar. Trust me, folks, I have my reasons.

Legolas: Just like everyone else, I must, despite the gender barrier, choose Bethberry. She has a sage-like but sunny Elvishness running through her veins, as best as I can tell, and brings the reserved, peaceful humor of Legolas to many threads, though she has been known to go further into the realm of unadulterated mirth.

Boromir: I haven't the foggiest.

Gimli: Kurahuran (did I spell that right?). I mean, he IS a dwarf, is he not?

Frodo: Oddly enough, Son of Numenor always struck me as a very apt Frodo. I'm not sure why, but he just did. Sort of quiet, but resolute and knowledgeable in his own way, with a gentle authority too.

Sam: The Saucepan Man, for penultimate reasons. There is also a certain jollity in ol' Saucie (excuse my nicknaming ineptitude) that makes me feel that he is the perfect Samwise Gamgee. I am convinced that Tolkien had The Saucepan Man in mind when he created Sam, or was at least inspired by the foresighted knowledge of him.

Merry: Rimbaud. Yes, I'm switching the ideals here, but I've never formally met Mr. Rimbaud, though I've read his posts in awe. He seems to have the playful seriousness that Merry had, more serious than, perhaps, Pippin, but still vigorous and energetic in a refreshing way...sort of like vodka on a hot day...or pipe-weed...

Pippin: The Perky Ent. I mean, it's obvious to me. Perky's a bit of a prankster, comical to Pippin's extent, with the same youthful verve...Plus, I think I'm having deja vu about writing this reason, so it must be some trite contrivance of divine intervention...at least remotely involved...I suppose...

I wonder, though, perhaps this should be 'A Downer LotR. As said, I thought originally that I could never be thought to resemble a Fellowship member, but perhaps another member of the cast. What other characters could be replaced by Downers?

I mean, who better to replace Eomer than Eomer of the Rohirrim. It's as if there was no difference. And, I can think of a good many reasons why Morsul the Dark would be a better Dark Lord than Sauron. I, of course, would be lucky to get away with Grima Wormtongue.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 10:13 PM   #7
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Ack Child, me goof -- I meant to say that you have a formidable presence in this forum (although your post to the thread has made me an honest man in my error).

And, au contraire, I did not 'neglect' Frodo. The initial post says that if you were Frodo, who would you replace with whom in the Fellowship. This also would seemingly preclude having yourself in there twice. . .

Bethberry, shame on you for raising the canonicity topic. Go to the back of the room and write out "I will be a good Downer" five hundred times.

Finally, Kransha, ah my oldest Downer friend, I did lament the fact that there was no place for you in the Fellowship. You are, not to put too fine a point upon it, too evil! However, in the interests of fairness, I shall amend the purpose of this thread somewhat. . .

Decide either whom from the Downs you would see in the Fellowship with you (if you were Frodo) or whom from the Downs you would have as your allies if you were Sauron. To begin:

The Balrog: The Wight himself, because sometimes he just scares the living bejeesus out of me ("Ai, Ai!").

Shelob: A very tricky one indeed, but I shall have to say Mithalwen for I have learned how dangerous it is to cross her.

The Watcher in the Water: Son of Numenor, as he's always lurking, alway ready to pounce, and always able to go right after the most important part of any discussion; also, no matter how many tentacles you cut off, there's always more (OK, I don't really know what that last part means. . .)

Here's to some more silliness!
Old 08-30-2004, 03:30 AM   #8
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
‘Me, sir! Me be Aragorn and all! Hooray!’ Esty shouted, and then burst into tears.

Is it the name that gives a tiny hint to my particular partiality to Strider/Aragorn/Elessar?! I can’t see any particular similarity of personality, but I am very flattered, of course, to be compared to him! As a walker, I am a strider myself, so that I do have that in common with him.

Choosing a Fellowship is a difficult task, for this is such a wonderful group of people that I don’t know where to start leaving away all but nine! I decided to create:

The Fellowship of the Mods/Admins

Gandalf: The War against Sauron was his primary task, so it can only be The Barrow-Wight, whose creation this site is, in that role.

Aragorn: None other than Mister Underhill, who mentored and guided me, showing me the ropes when I started moderating, and still gives the technical help I need when I get lost in the wilderness of the internet.

Frodo: Adhering to the original rules of this thread, that is supposed to be me.

Sam: The one person who has been close to me for much of this journey, Bęthberry.

Merry: The organizer, humorous and intelligent, Mithadan.

Pippin: Giving us the entertaining aspect of the forum, in a double role, piosenniel and Child of the 7th Age.

Legolas: Well, Legolas is the obvious choice, of course, but I think perhaps it should be another double team, lindil and Aiwendil, since they are the ones who are responsible for the lore of the Legendarium in the ‘Translations from the Elvish’ forum.

Gimli: The metal (pots and pans), the skilled craftsmanship (Q&Q), the gentle humour – this has to be The Saucepan Man!

Boromir: All those who on occasion die heroic deaths, only to return in the next movie Rimbaud, Thenamir, and Gilthalion.

One important addition, since there is one last admin who is by no means least in my estimation: Saruman the White: Sharkű, who knows so much and is always worth consulting on difficult matters! He combines the wisdom of an aged man with the skills and energy of an immortal being!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 04:57 AM   #9
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Quote:
Merry: Amanaduial the Archer: she's always on top of things, and quick to let you know that you're on the right track (or to give suggestions on what the right track actually is).
Aww.

Hmm, if I was Frodo...

Sam - well, I'm caught: I think probably Bethberry would be my Sam. Quietly responsible, you can rest assured that even if she doesn't seem to say much, she is always there, and will listen to whatever you need to say; and that whatever she says will be well worth listening to. A steadying prescence and very good friend.

Gandalph - Well, who else could play- sorry, represent, the mithterious and wise white wizard? Who else but the Downs very own pet enigma, Mithadan. Not so often seen, maybe it sometimes seems that Mith has left you, as Gandalph left the fellowship (and the dwarves in The Hobbit), you find out later that actually, he was quite aware of what he was doing all the time, and it was for the best, working behind the scenes. But Mithadan is not all mystery: he is a pleasure to talk to, and is full of little surprises that will get revealed in conversation. Incredibly smart and, yes, powerful, as well as being amusing, Mithadan also knows when to draw a line and can be rather stern when need be. The perfect Gandalph.

Merry - Incredibly organised while seeming relaxed, Piosenniel fits the bill. Her posts on the Green Dragon have often made me smile or laugh, and she is as witty in self as she is in her characters. She is not invulnerable though, and does not seem a transcendant, distant prescence: Pio is very much human. And also, she has always reminded me of a hobbit, although why I'm not entirely sure.

Pippin - Aylwen Dreamsong, actually. Now, there are aspects of this, one of my favourite gamers, which would maybe fit Aragorn better (and here I dithered!), but Pippin it is. Maybe it is because her characters, whatever darkness you place them in, always seem to have that lighter, 'fairer' side: for examples, Haven in 'Escape from Nurn', or Ehan in 'Bloodstained Elanor' - but it is not a side that undermines them: it makes them more admirable. And the same goes for Aylwen, if that makes any sense - she is a pleasure to be around, has that lighter side, and, like Pio, makes me smile. But she has her struggles, and a serious side as well - a side that will stand up for what it wants and believes is right, just like Pippin (for example when he pledged himself to Gondor). And her posts are always worthwhile.

Now, I'm aware I haven't even done half the fellowship, but very soon the HTML limit is going to run out on me, and besides, I don't seem to have quite got the hang of punctuation this morning...
Old 08-30-2004, 11:30 AM   #10
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
... well I had an inkling that if I got anything it would be shelob when a list of female characters was suggested....

And Aragorn ... hoist by my own petard...... and well deserved on the pompous prig front for excessive explanation..... lol .... hidden power .nnnnnooooooooooo but then if I admitted it it wouldn't be hidden .... and as I admitted elsewhere I probabaly wouldn't have gone far on the quest ... being a lazy coward an' all....

And stop fussing Fordim... you are still here aren't you?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 08-31-2004 at 10:39 AM. Reason: removalofoffendinacronym
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 01:45 PM   #11
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Quote:
Bethberry would be my Sam. Quietly responsible, you can rest assured that even if she doesn't seem to say much, she is always there, and will listen to whatever you need to say; and that whatever she says will be well worth listening to. A steadying prescence and very good friend.
By jove, aman, I think you've got it! And a gardener to boot. Thankee, my dear! Now I shall just work on the salt of the earth aspect.

If we were to see a female character list of Downers, I would surely see you as Eowyn and Aylwen Dreamson as Arwen.

And now I shall run off to contemplate a baddies list.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:51 PM   #12
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
Ironic, isn't it, that in this fantasy Downer Fellowship I would be both Frodo and his would-be assassin.

Gandalf: I cannot think of anyone better suited to the role than Bęthberry. In many a thread, her wisdom and (often profound) insight have ignited further and deeper discussion. She can be simultaneously analytical and poetic, and has been my guiding light in the Downs - she was the first to welcome me to the sight; she was the first friend I made here, and is still the closest; in the chatroom, just as in the forum, she asks tough, deep-delving questions (many of which I find myself unable to answer as well as I wish) and provides her own valuable opinions and analyses. Indeed, I feel we have a relationship (somewhat) akin to that of Gandalf and Pippin (although my hobbitish curiosity is often concealed in an effort not to sound stupid, and Bęthberry is not particularly "quick to anger"). I'll also note that Gandalf's propensity towards laughter and mirth has nothing on Bęthberry's subtle and clever brand of humor, and that a raggedy cloak and conical cap would probably not do justice to the latter.

Frodo: Much like Frodo, The Barrow-Wight was once an ordinary (albeit abnormally wise and intelligent) hobbit who now carries a heavy burden. In Frodo's case, it was the Ring; in the BW's, it's the Downs. Who of us can know what toll this great responsibility has taken on him? We hope, though, that he will not vanish into the West, leaving us mortals with naught but memories of his great deeds.

Gimli: Fordim Hedgethistle may be the most enthusiastic lover of Middle-earth I have ever encountered. This exuberance has taken the form of many of the most brilliant threads and intense discussions I have ever seen on the subject of Tolkien's world. In this way he is like Gimli, crying scornfully, 'Caves, they say! Caves!' and then convincing us, passionately and eloquently, that the very 'caves' in question are some of the most beautiful wonders in the world.

Legolas: Off the top of my head, I can think of no one better for this role than Legolas - or Ulmo, if you like - himself. Subtle, often eloquent, and concise, he conveys a hidden worldly wisdom that spans far beyond his years. Also, a particular entry in his blog wherein he describes a meditative experience in the ocean makes him seem all the more like his sea-longing Middle-earth namesake.

Boromir: Eomer of the Rohirrim comes to mind for his obvious intelligence, his aura of pride, and his quasi-"tough-guy" image (helped along by his Karl Urban avatar).

Aragorn: Burrahobbit. At first (or second, or third...) glance, he can seem intimidating, frightening - even mean. Once one gets to know him a little, though, one realizes that he is simply quite frank and terse by nature. He is also somewhat enigmatic, like Strider, and carries the burden of a great mind.

Samwise: Based on pure kindness and gentle nature alone, Estelyn Telcontar fits the bill. She's not as simple as Sam, though, and I reckon that, unlike Master Gamgee, she's just as handy with a needle and thread as with a pot full o' taters.

Pippin: This role in the Fellowship I reserve for myself (see 'Gandalf' for explanation).

Merry: Diamond18 has always struck me as a Merry gal - smarter and more observant than your average, garden-variety hobbit, but still playful as they come.

Indeed, Bęthberry, I doubt I could pass up a plate of Maggot's mushrooms - particularly if there was penne al arrabiata and red wine in the offing as well.

Last edited by Son of Númenor; 08-31-2004 at 01:08 PM.
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 09:58 PM   #13
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree

Woah! I'm a Pippin? Woah! But then, I knew that if I was mentioned, it would be for that Oh well, I'm honored to be part of a fellowship! As for mine...

Gandalf: Pio - Piosenniel is incredibly wise, determinded, and intelligence. A perfect role for Gandalf. She is essential to any fellowship!

Aragorn: HerenIstarion - Heren has always been a good mentor for me in the downs. A comical protector, of many sorts. Had she had less homework, I might be saying Finwe right now, but since she wants to go to Rice University....

Boromir: Fordim - Fordim is very wise and powerful, yet mysterious. That being said...

Gimli: Himaran - take a wild guess

Legolas: Bethberry - She's always seemed a very graceful person. Powerful, merciful, and an occasional sense of humor

Sam: Pio - Yes, I know I have Pio twice, but that's how good she is! Furthermore, she's always helped when I've had problems in RPGing, and is the kind of person who sticks through to the end!

Pippin: Morsul - Morsul is much like Pippin...well...all around! If you know Morsul, you know I don't have to go on!

Merry: Firefoot - Firefoot is smart, smarter than Merry for that matter. But, as there's little other places...

Well...that about covers it! I'll think about this some more, and maybe revise it!
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 12:28 PM   #14
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Silmaril

Bah i'll give it a shot...

Gandalf: Beren87 cause hes always lending a hand...

Aragorn: Son of Numenor, to me is a strong-willed character, so he'll fit in with aragorn

Boromir: well i guess Morsul could be boromir, each have inner evil

Legolas: Who better then the agile Legolas of the downs!

Gimli: i think Telchar can fit in here, having different moods during the days...

Pippin: i will go with Perky here...

Merry: Tom Bombadil can go here cause hes always cheery until he gets wacked in the head to pay attention

Samwise: Faithful, like Pio...

Frodo: and the winner is.... Esty!...see top for reason

There ya have it folks, i didn't put myself in cause i don't really know...thats for you to decide!
Old 09-01-2004, 06:34 PM   #15
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree

...Alas....another Pippin...
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 06:39 PM   #16
Gil-Galad

Yes...but i am a nameless Wight for now, until somebody decide to characterize me...
Old 09-01-2004, 09:15 PM   #17
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dűm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye

This is a highly entertaining thread!

Gandalf: I suppose I must suck up and say The Barrow Wight, but only because he fits the Gandalf persona like a glove!

Aragorn: Fordim Hegethistle. Something about him makes me think he'd be a good king.

Boromir: This is the only member I cannot place...

Legolas: The Perky Ent. Because my impression of Legolas in the books was one of a good-humored individual, albiet a bit sarcastic.

Gimli: I'd have to agree with Perky and say Himaran.

Samwise: Who is more faithful than Estelyn Telcontar?

Merry: Firefoot. Wise, but not afraid of a good time!

Pippin: Gil-Galad, because I can see him having to be tied into a sack and dragged back to the Shire.

Out of the Fellowship, I think Eomer of the Rohirrim could fit nicely as Faramir. A bit of a nerd, but with potential for being a warrior.

Last edited by Saraphim; 09-01-2004 at 09:19 PM.
Saraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 06:08 AM   #18
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

I know, I know, I'm going to sound really derivative here but jings! I cannot stop myself from adding to this wonderful thread.

Gandalf: Fordim Hedgethistle, because he is exceptionally wise, knows what he's doing, and is prone to mirth. Also strikes me as looking like Gandalf for some reason, complete with long grey hair.

Frodo: Son of Numenor, because he seems serious, is very clever and very polite.

Samwise: Saraphim, because she has great character, is very friendly and humble, and maybe a bit shy too.

Meriadoc: davem, because he is exceptionally clever and brilliant (maybe I'm over-praising Merry here!) and also enjoys merriment.

Peregrin: Diamond, because the humour and humble nature is just so.....Tookish.

Aragorn: The Barrow-wight, because he is wise and stern and merry (when necessary) and is leading the army of Barrowdowners.

Gimli: The Saucepan Man, because he is loyal and jovial and probably loves beer.

Legolas: rimbaud, because he is humourous and friendly and clever and serious all at the same time. And there's maybe a bit of that Peter Pan avatar in there as well!

Boromir: Sharku, because of the responsibility, good character and hint of menace that surely lurks within.

I could go on and on and list every character from The Lord of the Rings but I shall not do that until Fordim gives the go ahead.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:55 AM   #19
Gil-Galad

[QUOTE=Saraphim]Pippin: Gil-Galad, because I can see him having to be tied into a sack and dragged back to the Shire. [QUOTE]

wheres the love Saraphim?
Old 09-02-2004, 08:17 AM   #20
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

All shall love me and despair!

Quote:
Fordim has already opened the floor to filling the roles of the baddies with Downers! Above I provided the following list:

Quote:

Other posters have already opened the floor to Faramir, Eowyn and Arwen, so I suppose that they are fair game now too.

As the progenitor and patron saint of this thread, however, I will use my power to tweak the rules once more:

1. Posters may cast other characters of or from LotR after they have provided a full list for the Fellowship itself or for the baddies.

2. To avoid hundreds of posts that consist of single-character attribution, you must provide either a Fellowship list, or a Baddies List before any extra casting. For posters who have already provided a Fellowship or a Baddies list, however, they can go ahead with any extra casting they wish.

Old 09-02-2004, 09:12 AM   #21
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Quote:
The Hedge-King of Angmar?
Forduman?
ThistlyThu?
Old 09-03-2004, 07:11 PM   #22
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Choices of Master Samwise

Quote:
Sam: SaucepanMan, because he loves his beer, his family, and he always carries his pots with him.
Aw, that's one of the nicest (and most accurate) things ever said about me on the Downs.

Apart from Barliman Butterbur ( ), I have always identifed most with Bilbo and Pippin. So I am most definately hobbitish, and most honoured to be compared with Master Samwise (although I am most certainly no gardener). And the Sam/Gimli beer thing works for me ...

So now to my choices:

Gandalf: Well the Barrow Wight is a wizard with the programming, and seems to have been sent to guide us all to this site. And, as Gandalf became the White, he has recently become the one in Wight Satin.

Aragorn: Like Aragorn, Fordim Hedgethistle at first appeared as a mysterious stranger, but has risen to become most honoured amongst Downers. And, just as Aragorn re-established kingdoms that spanned Middle-earth, Fordim's threads seem to span the Downs and expand alarmingly.

Frodo: Davem - often jolly, but belies a deeper side, and occasionally seems troubled by the burdens of the world. And, like Frodo, he was reluctant to accept the honours accorded to him.

Sam: This has to be Samwise, as many of her posts could have come straight from his mouth, and she loves her garden.

Merry: None other than Estelyn Telcontar, since she is practical, sensible and an excellent organiser, but capable of great humour when the occasion arises. Just as Merry got the Hobbits moving from Crickhollow, she is tireless in prodding the REB participants into getting a move on.

Pippin: I have to give this one to Diamond18, since she loves Pippin, and shares his wonderful sense of fun. But, like Pippin, I imagine her as being capable of great deeds when the occasion arises.

Legolas: It seems to me that The Squatter of Amon Rudh combines the right measure of wry humour and deep learning in lore. And I hear that he can walk on snow too,

Gimli: Why, Kuruharan of course. After all, he is a Dwarf. And I can't imagine him taking any prisoners.

Boromir: Hmm, difficult one this. But I'll go for Kransha whose rashness and impetuosity might get him into trouble, but who I also see as being capable of great valour should the need arise.

Right, now to think about the bad guys ...

Last edited by The Saucepan Man; 09-03-2004 at 10:15 PM.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 08:10 PM   #23
Gil-Galad

How about...(at fordims approval of course) High Kings of the first age! sorry i can't think of any but i will...
Old 09-03-2004, 08:19 PM   #24
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
Boromir: Hmm, difficult one this. But I'll go for Kransha whose rashness and impetuosity might get him into trouble, but who I also see as being capable of great valour should the need arise.
Truer words were never spoken, sadly. But, I do so love my rashness and impetuosity. So far, I've avoided the long arm of the Wight, but I fear it still, but only as much as everyone else on the Downs does. Now, I must think of something relevant to add and to contribute before my Off Topic response condemns me to a life of ill-spent vodka and bad reputation points. I believe I can suffice to say that Eomer of the Rohirrim would make an Eomer to beat all Eomers, if that helps at all.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 02:05 PM   #25
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dűm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye

Quote:
wheres the love Saraphim?
The love is here, Gil-Galad:

Quote:
Yes...but i am a nameless Wight for now, until somebody decide to characterize me...
You asked! (Insert evil smiley here)

Also, thanks for characterizing me, Eomer! I never would have guessed Sam, but it's a nice surprise.
Saraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 05:54 AM   #26
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Treebeard: Kransha, because he gives the impression of being around for thousands of years, is full of wit and wisdom, is friendly but will still crush those who oppose him, and is always hroom-hooming as well.

Faramir: The Squatter of Amon Rudh, and I'm sorry but I can't quite place this one. It feels right though. (Much like Sam thought he felt right?)

Bilbo: Estelyn Telcontar, because she is loved by all wise people and has a wholly unthreatening demeanour.

Eowyn: Feanor of the Peredhil, possibly because she seems like the kind of girl who could slap you around with some ease.

Galadriel: Lush, because she's the most famous blonde around.

Haldir: Nilpaurion Felagund, because it just hit me suddenly as I was typing this that it made perfect sense. Maybe it's because he looks like an Elf (in my head).
Old 09-06-2004, 08:03 AM   #27
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Silmaril

Quote:
Eowyn: Feanor of the Peredhil, possibly because she seems like the kind of girl who could slap you around with some ease.
Aww Eomer... I'm blushing. That's the best compliment I've gotten since... last night. But last night's was a REALLY good one. How often does a girl get told that she's an amazing person and understands things by a person that has no interest in dating her? And the best part about your compliment, Eomer, is that I wasn't bawling my eyes out when I received it!

My Goldberry would probably have to be Bethberry. I'm not entirely positive why, but it's something to do with the fact that the Presence she gives (oh no, How Do You Imagine Other BDers is leaking into this thread!) is wholly comforting.

Old Tom Bombadil is obviously The Grey Man himself, Mithadan, enigma that he is.

Fea
Old 09-11-2004, 12:59 PM   #28
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well

hmmm

Gandalf: good ol' HI
Frodo: Eomer of the Rohirim(more because of who's Sam)
Sam: not sure who but one of Eomer's Stalkers
Pippin:I guess is me by general opinion
Merry: I guess Perky Ent would be this crazy hobbit
Boromir: Barrowwight
Legalos: one of the more graceful BDers Inkling
Gimli: Gil-Galad
Old 09-11-2004, 08:57 PM   #29
Gil-Galad

hrmm... never been a gimli before, i hope it doesn't leave a rash...hrmmm
Old 09-15-2004, 12:12 PM   #30
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

Well Morsul, I don't think Frodo got nearly as much of that kind of attention as I do around here. And rest assured, Frodo was a very quiet and unobtrusive celebrity sort, whereas if I became famous I would use it for despicable and downright diabolical purposes.

So all in all, I think your nomination was wholly unjustified!

You remind me of Ugluk. Cruel and dastardly, yet brimming with odd mirth underneath.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:20 PM   #31
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Or maybe Gollum should be one of Eomer's stalkers...
Old 09-23-2004, 01:55 PM   #32
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
Well Morsul, I don't think Frodo got nearly as much of that kind of attention as I do around here. And rest assured, Frodo was a very quiet and unobtrusive celebrity sort, whereas if I became famous I would use it for despicable and downright diabolical purposes.

So all in all, I think your nomination was wholly unjustified!

You remind me of Ugluk. Cruel and dastardly, yet brimming with odd mirth underneath.
Alright then you would be more like..Eomer fine be boring as eomer
then I need a new Frodo....Any volunteers looks at Feanor this can be anyone seriously (continues to stare)
Old 09-23-2004, 02:08 PM   #33
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

Quote:
Any volunteers looks at Feanor this can be anyone seriously (continues to stare)
*Exaggerated sigh* Alllll right...... I'll be Frodo. Look, a bird!

Fea
Old 09-23-2004, 02:13 PM   #34
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

thank you, a good strong leader for us to follow.

I resign from pippin to become Sam.
Firefoot is now pippin
Old 09-23-2004, 09:28 PM   #35
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

The Witch-King of Angmar - Of course, this has to be Morgul Queen. Just watch her take out those Silm-Sues! Scary!

The Balrog - I'll say... burrahobbit, because of how he can get his point across with so few words. Plus, I hear people are scared of him.

Saruman - Naturally, Sharku claims this role. He seems to know far more than is good for him. (You know, I've never been able to solve the crosswords he's made...)

Shelob - Why do I see dancing spawn of ungoliant as filling this spot? Maybe because the thought of Shelob doing a two-step is just so darn amusing! ^ ^

The Watcher in the Water - Mithalwen, as she has a tendency to attempt to eat people who annoy her.

Assorted Orcs - Everyone who's left! Just kidding. I'll give this spot to Morsul the Dark, in holding with Eomer's comment.

Abedithon le,

~ Saphy ~
Old 09-25-2004, 01:34 PM   #36
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I have wished to make a list for a while but hesitated since it required passing(albeit positive) judgement on people I have "known" only for a little time and because I feel I am choosing from that relatively small selection of the Downers who I have encountered most frequently.

Also, there are people here whose posts are so awe-inspiring that I feel that they will respond in the manner of Treebeard hearing that Merry "almost felt he liked the forest"! So with those provisos, and hoping that the "Mirth" plea will excuse superficiality, here is my list and attempts to explain choices which were largely instinctive and based on impression:

Merry: Myself - I feel unsuited to the Frodo role.

"No! I am not Prince Hamlet, nor was meant to be;
Am an attendant lord, one that will do
To swell a progress, start a scene or two, "

Of the fellowship, we are the most alike I think in personality - much as I would like to claim to be an elf! I could elaborate, but like Merry of the thoughts prompted by eye contact with Galadriel, I don't think I will.

Frodo is then Mark12-30 - for her spirituality and moral courage. I assume her screen name means she is not unwilling to take a male character .... and I feel she will be more than happy to be a hobbit.

Sam sorry to be unoriginal - but I really think it has to be Saucepan Man - may be it is the pans .... or the fondness for comic song as well as myths

Pippin - Encaitare - We last see Merry and Pippin singing on their way, and we share at least some musical tastes. And we are both fairly recently "dead" and have a similar post count so I think her Pippin will be an appropriate match for my Merry.

Gandalf - It just has to be Fordim Hedgethistle - a fount of wisdom and humour, concealed by a grumpy, old man persona. And he finds we hobbits worthy of his attention.

Aragorn will be The Squatter of Amon Rudh. Partly for his knowledge and air of authority, and partly for his relentless determination to complete the course of action he has decided on (and related fence climbing skills - Wolvercote / Bree!).

Boromir Feanor of the Peredhil. He was a good companion to Merry and I know she will take this as a compliment. They seem to share a "no nonsense attitude".

The last two are perhaps not ideal fits but I want them in my fellowship and they are not entirely inappropriate .

Gimli Osse. The avatar was a factor! But Gimli has less humour - at least in the book. He is fierce in attack, steadfast in defence and good at encouragement.

Legolas Eomer of the Rohirrim - maybe a little unlikely but my justification is the swiftness of wit - vital to the "esprit de corps". (Edit) I knew there was another reason - the fangirls!!!!

Now for my supplemetaries - With FH's permission - The remaining ringbearers ...

Cirdan : The Barrow Wight - a powerful, slightly remote figure (but somehow also omnipresent)

Gilgalad: Davem - a warrior of light.

Elrond: Heren Istarion - a cross-cultural master of lore and languages who is involved in so many areas (and kind)

Galadriel Because I cannot choose, not because any one of them would be insufficient in the role, I must have "three graces": Bethberry, Child of the 7th Age and Estelyn Telcontar - wise and powerful women all.

I wasn't going to do baddies but ,not as an insult but becasue I can't leave him out, I will give Gollum to Sleepy Ranger - always popping up and with differing aspects (and with strange taste in food!)

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 09-26-2004 at 10:15 AM. Reason: PS to Legolas/ typo
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 03:35 PM   #37
Gil-Galad

i thought i would play myself...
Old 09-25-2004, 04:28 PM   #38
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

Quote:
Boromir Feanor of the Peredhil. He was a good companion to Merry and I know she will take this as a compliment. They seem to share a "no nonsense attitude".

The last two are perhaps not ideal fits but I want them in my fellowship and they are not entirely inappropriate .
It is true... I take it as a very high compliment. Although I can't say that I've ever resorted to petty theft to achieve my goals...

I begin to wonder just how much tone my writing involves... I had always intended to keep my posts very factful with little opinion to them... perhaps my initial plan was tossed aside while I wasn't looking? Anyhow, to keep on topic:

Celeborn: lindil, for the Lord of the Galadhrim is accounted the wisest of the Elves of Middle-earth, and our own lindil is far wiser than this Elf.

Farmer Maggot: burrahobbit, for although I was terrified of the thought of him for quite some time, I have a shrewd suspicion that he is a good friend to those in his good graces.

Fea
Old 09-25-2004, 09:36 PM   #39
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Pippin - Encaitare - We last see Merry and Pippin singing on their way, and we share at least some musical tastes. And we are both fairly recently "dead" and have a similar post count so I think her Pippin will be an appropriate match for my Merry.
Well, thankee, Mith -- my sister often calls me a Fool of a Took.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 01:25 AM   #40
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
I'm really flattered to be mentioned so many times, and in so different roles too
Thank you

Er, I suppose I should start looking after some hair-o-grow potion for my feet, as I can't be a hobbit without meeting at least some of requirements, can I?

I'm shy as to offer you my own version - too many people I would be willing to have along with me, that would not be a Fellowship, rather Last Alliance

cheers

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote