The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-11-2002, 08:24 AM   #1
Telephirion
Pile O'Bones

Telephirion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Casa Loma Exhibit

Did anyone go to the exhibit of props and costumes from the Fellowship of the Ring at Casa Loma in Toronto, Canada? The exhibit was organized by the prop people who worked in New Zealand on the production of the movie, and it included the costumes of the cast members and important props such as Gandalf's hat, sword and staff. There were elvish boats, Galadriel's phial, Boromir's shield... You name it, and it was there. It was the only exhibit of this kind in the world, and I was just wondering if anyone else made it.
Old 08-11-2002, 08:33 AM   #2
nevfeniel

Eye

I didn't go (since I live in Texas), but I saw several pictures on the net. It looked awesome.
Old 08-11-2002, 09:02 AM   #3
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

I was away visiting family so my husband made the trek to keep the children happy. I can pass on their reports.<P>Son in particular claims it was awesome to see Glamdring as well as the other weapons and costumes, especially in the context of Casa Loma, which is designed in stone like a castle. <P>There were a couple of recreated scenes--inside Bag End (with the Ring), the Gates of Moria, and Sarumon's torture room. Other props were presented in museum-like tables, and then there were pictures of scenes from the movie.<P>Husband, who has not read the books, found it interesting while son, who is a big Tolkien fan, says it was really informative.<P>Bethberry<p>[ August 11, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 08-11-2002, 09:23 AM   #4
Telephirion
Pile O'Bones

Telephirion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I found it amazing how knowledgable the other visitors were. You could hear people discussing the different props like they were artifacts from a genuine museum. They would be discussing the history of Arda and exclaiming at obscure references. At one point, I forgot the significance of a name: Annuminas. Someone instantly chimed in and told me that it's the name of the capital of the ancient north kingdom of men, on Lake Evendim! Casa Loma is a very cool place, and I was lucky enough to live just two hours away, with family in Toronto as well.
Old 08-11-2002, 04:35 PM   #5
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I read with great interest the website devoted to the Casa Loma exhibit, and can't for the life of me understand why the tour didn't continue to other cities.<P>I can only hope that Weta and P.J. will consider this in the future. I'm more than sure that museums across the world would get in line to feature a LoTR exhibit! I know the Columbus Museum of Art would be up for it, and they have featured movie memorabilia exhibits in the past.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 04:44 PM   #6
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I'd sure appreciate the tour visiting other places. Hopefully to Europe. Although if the props were created by Weta Workshops who are based in Wellington NZ, the exhibition went to Canada and no where else? <P>This page has some good pictures of teh exhibit in all it's glory ~~~~~><A HREF="http://public.fotki.com/sjavor/lord_of_the_rings/" TARGET=_blank>Casa Loma Exhibit</A><p>[ August 11, 2002: Message edited by: Gorothlammothiel ]
Gorothlammothiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 05:09 PM   #7
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Wow! cool stuff! Thanks for the link, Gorothlammothiel!
Old 08-11-2002, 08:17 PM   #8
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Well, shucks!!! If I had known about it I could've planned an overnight trip for myself. Toronto is not too far for me.<BR>I'm sad now because I didn't even know that it was occurring.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote