The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #1401
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well, first two verses indicate Thingol, but last two verses indicate Turin.

I'll go with Thingol, cos Turin was the answer to your previous riddle.

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:46 PM   #1402
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Good guesses, both, but it's neither. I didn't think of Turin when I wrote the riddle, but now that you mention it, I see that the last verse really fits!

Keep trying!
Old 04-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #1403
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Is the answer from Silmarilion? Or LoTR?

EDIT: Then again, first and third verse fit Nienor.

But I can't, for the life for me, find a person who fits all three verses, and it must be a person, because object or place couldn't really feel confidence, could they?

*is confused*

Last edited by Urwen; 04-17-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #1404
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Not Nienor.

The answer is from The Sil.

And it is not necessarily a person. All these things could be metaphorical. But I'm not saying anything.

Reposting for convenience's sake:

I looked at grey -
Enchantment.

I looked at inferior -
Confidence.

I looked at gold -
Truth.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:20 PM   #1405
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Is it so? *laughs*

In that case, the answer must be Gurthang

I looked at grey -
Enchantment. - This was many times in Doriath, if you say that Gurthang was 'metaphorically' feeling his master's feelings...about Melian

I looked at inferior -
Confidence. - This also happened, with Turin, if you think 'metaphorically'

I looked at gold -
Truth. - Also with Turin, 'metaphorically' when he saw Glaurung

This is just a shot. If it's wrong, at least tell me if I'm on partly right track

Old 04-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #1406
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Not Gurthang. You were closer with your first guess - Thingol. And I didn't say that it's an object, and I didn't say that it's a person, or that it's anything else. I was just saying that things could be metaphorical.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:16 AM   #1407
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Thumbs up

Is the answer inside his familia, perchance?

Old 04-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #1408
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
Is the answer inside his familia, perchance?
Are you talking about Turin of Thingol?

And anyways, if I tell you the family of this person (I'll give you that, it is a person) it would be too obvious.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #1409
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Why, I'm talking about Thingol, since it's neither Turin nor Nienor, and my namesake unfortunately died at the age of three.

But if you want to play further, I'd say Melian, since her dear dead husband WAS known as 'Grey cloak'. As for confidence bit, those were her sharp words to my dearest brother. And the 'gold' bit, could refer to... *smirks*

Gotta you! It IS Melian! I finally realised what the gold and the truth refer to! The 'inferior' and 'gold' and 'truth' all revolve around MY family!

Okay,so Melian looked upon Hurin and she was the one who GIVE the truth, not the one who RECEIVED it.

*laughs* Stumper...

Old 04-18-2011, 04:24 PM   #1410
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Yup, Melian it is! Way to go!

She looked Thingol in the eyes and they both were enchanted, then she looked Beren in the eyes and gave him confidence to speak, and then she looked Hurin in the eyes and he understood the truth of Morgoth's curse. I probably missed some people who Melian looked at but these three were the only ones that sprang to my mind.

Looking forward to Urwen's next riddle!
Old 04-18-2011, 04:28 PM   #1411
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Thumbs up

Thank you. Here's a really stumpy riddle:

Though no song sings of me
My blood held the only hope for the world
My people were staunch and proud
They refused the offer of the Dark one

Happy riddling

Old 04-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #1412
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Definitely stumpy.

Though no song sings of me - Fingolfin?

My blood held the only hope for the world - Earendil/his ancestry?

- *completely stumped.* Sounds like the Dwarves of Erebor... or maybe Rohan... but if I can somehow link Earendil and Fingolfin, these are totally random!

Already stumped.

EDIT: Just thought... maybe Elendil?
Old 04-18-2011, 04:37 PM   #1413
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Quote:
My blood held the only hope for the world - Earendil
This is correct. The rest aren't. And that's the only hint I could give - for now...

Old 04-19-2011, 10:00 AM   #1414
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Hm. Elrond? He's Earendil's son, and his and Gil-galad's people refused to believe Annatar=Sauron.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #1415
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

No, wrong.

Maybe this:

hope = Earendil
speaker = his paternal ancestor

will help, no?

Old 04-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #1416
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Marach?

Being the ancestor of Earendil and the leader of the 3rd House of Edain, and all Edain refused to serve Morgoth (unlike the Easterlings)... am I somewhat close?
Old 04-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #1417
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

In a way, yes. Think of it this way: the dark one doesn't neccessarily mean evil...

Also, offer is one specific offer.

Btw, it isn't Marach.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #1418
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Thumbs up

Um...why has everybody neglected this thread? You people managed to solve much harder riddles than mine is, and yet you still cover before this one?

I don't know what to say, except that you have intelligence swings...

Old 04-22-2011, 03:18 PM   #1419
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
For crying out loud, Urwen, it's not even been 10 days yet! If it's any consolation, I've been thinking about this, and if I had an inkling who it could be you can bet I'd have posted it.

I'm moderately sure it has to be a member of the Dor-lómin mafia, and reading "They refused the offer of the Dark one" my first thought was of Húrin rejecting Morgoth's offer of a captaincy in reward for betraying Turgon, but if "the dark one doesn't necessarily mean evil" that was obviously wrong - which leaves me rather clueless.

Anyway, belated thanks for standing in for me earlier. And it's 'cower', not 'cover'.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:33 PM   #1420
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Thumbs up

And as for "Mafia" remember than Hurin himself wasn't Earendil's ancestor. But someone else was. And that someone else is the answer.

Also, think about who else except Morgoth and Sauron, Witch King and others was called the DARK one. If you guess that, it'll all make sense.

*sly*

Last edited by Urwen; 04-22-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:31 PM   #1421
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Haldar, son of Haldad, brother of Haleth, I think; it could also be Haldad, but I'm inclined to think fewest songs would be sung of the boy who bought it before he could inherit. It can't be Haleth herself because she's a widely renowned pop heroine and died childless rather than contributing to wonderboy's genepool. The dark one is Caranthir. Easy. Now stay away from the King's Players
Old 04-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #1422
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Thumbs up

So, you depichered who the dark one really is. Congrats.

But the answer is not Haldar.

P.S: I may stay away, but as I said, I'm not the only member who thinks this. Neglecting other categories may come back to bite you in the bum. I saw that admin and mod of this forum have been online quite a lot lately. They might decide that RP is keeping you from posting in other categories and close the RP.

I just want to warn you to lessen before they do.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:29 PM   #1423
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

It's totally Lalaith.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:56 AM   #1424
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
P.S: I may stay away, but as I said, I'm not the only member who thinks this. Neglecting other categories may come back to bite you in the bum. I saw that admin and mod of this forum have been online quite a lot lately. They might decide that RP is keeping you from posting in other categories and close the RP.
Mnemo has already said all there is to say to that on the King's Players Discussion thread, and said it quite admirably, but as that apparently didn't get through, I'll put it more bluntly. Downsing is supposed to be fun, not some kind of job where you have to fulfill certain quota. I can't find anything in the Forum Policies and Guidelines that dictates how people are expected to spend their time on the Downs as long as it's Tolkien-related and up to the forum's standards of courtesy and good writing - which the RPG in question most definitely is. I'm not sure the same can be said of your attempts to meddle with other members' personal freedom.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:08 AM   #1425
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Um...let's get back on topic, shall we?

Old 04-23-2011, 06:11 AM   #1426
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Good idea.

If Ang was correct that the Dark one is Caranthir and my people are the Haladin, I guess it might be Hareth, who married Galdor and became Húrin's and Húor's mother?
Old 04-23-2011, 06:55 AM   #1427
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Um...let's get back on topic, shall we?
Yes, quite, and let's stay that way (and keep all Riddles discussion to the Riddles page, as it is supposed to be).

Well said, Pitch, my good lad. And an excellent guess as well, if I may say so.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:09 AM   #1428
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Thumbs up

Um...but what I be naughty and say that the answer is Huor....?

But that wouldn't be nice, would it?

But could you explain your guess...of Hareth?

Old 04-23-2011, 07:35 AM   #1429
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Something like this:

Though no song sings of me
- unlike her descendants and e.g. her ancestral relative Haleth, she isn't renowned for any special deeds (that I can remember)
My blood held the only hope for the world
- she was Eärendil's great-grandmother
- can't find a special example for staunch off the top of my head, but their pride is shown e.g. in Haleths answer to Thingol
- Caranthir's offer to let them settle in his land.

Could be one of her ancestors as well, I suppose, but going back in Eärendil's family tree she's the first of the Haladin to show up.

EDIT: If it was Húor, I think he would call the House of Hador his people, not the Haladin, wouldn't he?

PS. sally, my dear young lady, you have quite a nerve to call me 'lad'. But thanks anyway!

Last edited by Pitchwife; 04-23-2011 at 07:39 AM.
Pitchwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:56 AM   #1430
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Thumbs up Correct

And...this is my first riddle that took more than two guesses. *grin*

But anyway, Hareth is indeed the answer. And Caranthir is the dark one I had in mind...

Old 04-23-2011, 08:07 AM   #1431
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Thumbs up

And a good riddle it was (and not at all as mafioso as I'd expected)!

I don't want to shirk my duty again, but I'd like to offer the thread to Anguirel, because but for him I'd never have thought of Caranthir and the Haladin. If he declines or hasn't posted by tomorrow, I'll put something up then. (I have an idea already, just have to think a bit about how to word it.)
Old 04-23-2011, 09:01 AM   #1432
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

So it paid off.

Quote:
(and not at all as mafioso as I'd expected)!
And what does that mean, exactly? Just curious...

Last edited by Urwen; 04-23-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:33 AM   #1433
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
So it paid off.
Er, I'm not sure I want to encourage this way of thinking...

Quote:
And what does that mean, exactly? Just curious...
'Mafia' = 'la familia', as you like to call them (it's Italian, isn't it?). Well, Hareth is of course related to them, but the solution was a generation or two further back than I'd thought. No offense intended.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:50 AM   #1434
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

No, I don't mean that...as in THAT.

I meant that I've been learning how to make difficult riddles, and it paid off.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:52 PM   #1435
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
keep the field Pitchwife seriously, I have no idea, am a bit exhausted, and was in any case only the, er, Merry to your Eowyn
Old 04-24-2011, 02:02 PM   #1436
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

As you wish, my lord of Burlach. Let's see how this fares:

Stoneland's servant, Lord of Stone,
my shot was aimed at the hands of friends;
towards sunset I sought for a light of hope,
towards sunset turning my day did end.

Pretty transparent, I'm afraid...
Old 04-24-2011, 07:52 PM   #1437
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I don't have a guess, but I have a few poks at it.

Stoneland=Gondor

I can't think of any "Lord of Stone" that would be a servant of Gondor (Gonhirrim come to mind, but that doesn't fit).

I guess I could make some person from the Battle of Pelennor fit, but I don't recall any of them betraying friends (what I think the second line means...)

EDIT: On a second thought, maybe Saruman. Baing lord of Isengard, on the property of Gondor, betrays friends, dies and tried to go westward (towards sunset) but fails. Also, the sunset could refer to the end of the War, metaphorically.

Why does the word "hands" bug me?

Last edited by Galadriel55; 04-25-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:59 AM   #1438
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Cleaning up and speculations

In Pitchie's post that mysteriously disappeared togeter with many others he said that it's not Saruman but I'm somewhat closer - in a way - with Gonnhirrim. Also, he confirmed that Stoneland=Godor. (I'm lucky I read this before the chaos with missing posts started!)

Judging from that:

I could be closer in 2 ways. Either the name of the person literaly translates to something tht sounds like "Lord of Stone", or this person has good skills with it. (In contrast to Saruman, who is Lord of Stone only because he lives in a stony place).

Then, I doubt that this was an actual archer. There aren't that many Gondorian bowmen mentioned, and nne of them aimed for hands. A "shot" could metaphorically refer to pretty much any action that has a specific intent, or that is meant to lead/go somewhere (eg a speech).

And "hands" could by a part of... anything. It could be two flanks of an army, or... I dunno.

All this is making me confused. And I'm no nearer to the answer.

The next part, about sunset, is probably the easiest and most straightforward. Anyone recall any notable sunsets other than the one at the end of the Battle of Peennor?
Old 04-26-2011, 10:47 AM   #1439
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
In Pitchie's post that mysteriously disappeared togeter with many others he said that it's not Saruman but I'm somewhat closer - in a way - with Gonnhirrim. Also, he confirmed that Stoneland=Godor. (I'm lucky I read this before the chaos with missing posts started!)
Lucky indeed! For those who weren't so lucky, I also noted that hands aren't a bodypart you would usually aim a shot at. Which is a hint.

Quote:
I could be closer in 2 ways. Either the name of the person literaly translates to something tht sounds like "Lord of Stone", or this person has good skills with it. (In contrast to Saruman, who is Lord of Stone only because he lives in a stony place).
No comment.

Quote:
Then, I doubt that this was an actual archer. There aren't that many Gondorian bowmen mentioned, and nne of them aimed for hands.
Yep.

Quote:
A "shot" could metaphorically refer to pretty much any action that has a specific intent, or that is meant to lead/go somewhere (eg a speech).
It could. But it doesn't.

Quote:
And "hands" could by a part of... anything. It could be two flanks of an army, or... I dunno.
Or it could be just hands.

Quote:
The next part, about sunset, is probably the easiest and most straightforward. Anyone recall any notable sunsets other than the one at the end of the Battle of Peennor?
Why not just read 'sunset'=west, as you did earlier?
Old 04-26-2011, 11:43 AM   #1440
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Now that I think of it, the last two lines fit any average Gondorian. They have a custom of looking toward the West before their evening meal, which ends the day.

Saying this, I'm left with three clues: Lord of Stone, "shot", and "hands of friends".

I'm begining to wonder if "friends" refer to the [possibly former] friends of this Lord or to any group of people that are friends. Which means that I'm thinking too much.

If you didn't say that its literally just a shot, I would say Denethor. It's even possible to say that he "stared arrows" at Gandalf, but I'd call him "brain of friends".

I don't recall any shot that's related to "just hands". Unless it could somehow refer to Anborn tying Gollum's hands... but still no real connection.