The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2003, 04:03 PM   #1
dwarfwarrior
Pile O'Bones

dwarfwarrior has just left Hobbiton.
Sting gandalfs past

why does gandalf not talk about his past to anyone?Also why did he go to moria before the time in the book,which he states in fotr.Aragorn went also before. why?
dwarfwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 04:42 PM   #2
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

He went to Moria to look for Thror.
Old 06-10-2003, 04:48 PM   #3
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Many of the elves already know about his past because they have been around as long as he has (they been around as long as he has been in Middle Earth) and they knew about his origins so he did not have to tell them. I would think that the main reason that he did not talk about his past was because the hobbits were around much of the time and he probably thought that they could not absorb that he had been around that long. Especially because the hobbits history only went back for a very short time.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:50 PM   #4
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A ton of Gandalf's past is documented. Read The Silmarillion (especially the section Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age) and Unfinished Tales (the Third Age sections, obviously, especially The Istari).
Old 06-10-2003, 06:52 PM   #5
Aule
Wight

Aule has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was under the impression that there were very few of the original elves left in ME. For example Cirdan and Galdriel. I also thought that even these two great elves only had an inkling of who Gandalf and the rest of the Istari were.
I think he never talked about his past to anyone as he was not allowed by the Lords of the West to reveal who he was. He was meant to unite them without using his full powers as Maier.
Word would quickly spread of a great Lord from over the sea coming to help the peoples of ME in their time of need. Sauron may have made war quicker thus preventing any hope of destroying the ring.

Of course much is said about Gandalf and his History in the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales. Both really good reads providing more info on Gandalf.

Encyclopaedia of Arda
This site has tons of info that you may enjoy

[ June 10, 2003: Message edited by: Aule ]
Old 06-10-2003, 07:01 PM   #6
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

While speaking of the Encyclopedia of Arda, in the section about Gandalf it talks about how Elrond was a friend of Gandalf and they talked much. It also said that Elrond knew how he had arrived in Middle Earth from Cirdan the Shipwright. But that still means that only the three of them probably knew the truth.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:05 PM   #7
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Cirdan perceived/knew of Gandalf's errand and coming when Gandalf arrived at the Havens; he told Galadriel and Elrond about this. Glorfindel came with the Istari, so he too was aware of their mission. These are the only people of Middle-earth to know the Istari mission (aside from Sauron, I'd imagine).
Old 06-11-2003, 08:11 AM   #8
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I don't think Sauron even knew anything specific about the Istari mission. He knew that they were coming, that was it. In fact, when he chose his disguise as Annatar, he chose it specifically to resemble what he thought the Istari would look like. That way, if he succeeded, then he would do so in a "fair form." If he didn't succeed, then people would remember that form, and when they saw the Istari (who apparently would resemble him, according to Sauron's logic) they would immediately mistrust them, and perhaps even drive them out, thinking that they were Annatar/his followers.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 08:27 AM   #9
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Bruce MacCulloch has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Bruce MacCulloch
Ring

Quote:
In fact, when he chose his disguise as Annatar, he chose it specifically to resemble what he thought the Istari would look like.
Where did you get this?
Old 06-11-2003, 08:34 AM   #10
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Either in the Silmarillion or in Unfinished Tales, I can't remember which one.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 08:49 AM   #11
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Bruce MacCulloch has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Bruce MacCulloch
Ring

I found the passage you were referring to:
Quote:
In Eregion Sauron posed as an emissary of the Valar, sent by them to Middle-earth ("thus anticipating the Istari") or ordered by them to remain there to give aid to the Elves.
I hadn't recalled that particular bit, and your thoughts on the subject help to throw some light on part of Sauron's reasoning behind his posing as Annatar.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:52 AM   #12
Aredhel Idril Telcontar
Wight

Aredhel Idril Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gandalf's past was on a need-to-know basis in Middle Earth. Everyone who needed to know did. He spent much time around hobbits, who wouldn't have understood his real power. He was just a firework guy to them [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img].
He went into Moira to look for Thor. Aragorn probably went in on one of his rangery quests [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img].
Of course, I'm probably wrong about that one [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-11-2003, 10:50 AM   #13
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
He went into Moira to look for Thor.
Well he was looking in the wrong place then. He should have gone to Valhalla. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]