The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2006, 08:27 PM   #1
Sardy
Wight

Sardy has just left Hobbiton.
Which to read first?

The Silmarillion or Unfinished Tales? (After a proper reading of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, of course).

Which would you recommend to a friend who is nearly finished with his first reading of LotR?
Old 05-14-2006, 08:40 PM   #2
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardy
The Silmarillion or Unfinished Tales? (After a proper reading of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, of course).

Which would you recommend to a friend who is nearly finished with his first reading of LotR?
The Silmarillion. Unfinished Tales expands upon both the Silmarillion and the Lord of the Rings, and so it is essential to read the former before starting Unfinished Tales.

Seems fairly obvious to me... but that's just me.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:12 PM   #3
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
The Silmarillion. Unfinished Tales expands upon both the Silmarillion and the Lord of the Rings, and so it is essential to read the former before starting Unfinished Tales.

Seems fairly obvious to me... but that's just me.
I'll second that Formen.... I just finished UT today (Unless you consider the book is not finished if I have not gone through ALL The notes) ... and I wouldn't have understood some of it if I hadn't read The Sil first. In many instances Christopher Tolkien (who put Unfinished Tales together and wrote comments about most of it) will say "This story refers to X episode in The Silmarillion" or "This is X story of Lord Of The Rings as told by Gandalf" and so on.

So most definitely, I recommend you read The Silmarillion first.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:01 AM   #4
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Definitely the Sil! But do warn him/her that it might be a bit of a shock after the style of LOTR!
Old 05-15-2006, 06:10 AM   #5
Rhod the Red
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rhod the Red is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
I recomment UF first, then Sil.
Rhod the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:55 AM   #6
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Joining the majority here. First the Silmarillion!
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:57 AM   #7
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Fifth! The Silmarillion. Otherwise the friend is going to be very, very confused.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:28 PM   #8
Sardy
Wight

Sardy has just left Hobbiton.
Sounds Good!

I've actually read LotR and Sil countless times, and most volumes of HoME at least once, but am just preparing to crack UT for the first time. Wasn't quite sure what to expect...
Old 05-16-2006, 12:56 AM   #9
zifnab
Shade of Carn Dûm

zifnab has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Depends on a time frame.

What you read next all depends on what time period you wish to dwell in. If you want to carry on with Sam and Frodo(or actually what they have been rumored to have writen) I would suggest "The Adventures of Tom Bombadil". If short stories and poems is not your cup of tea, then these can be a bit arduous (don't go looking for a fantasy epic here). I would also stay away from the H.O.M.E and B.O.L.T volumes for now.

Quote: The Silmarillion or Unfinished Tales? (After a proper reading of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, of course).
End Quote:

The Silmarillion would of course be your best bet, assuming you have already read 'The Hobbit'... I can't tell by that quote, if you have already read it, or are going to read 'The Hobbit'.

Last edited by zifnab; 05-16-2006 at 01:13 AM. Reason: My eyes were closed.
zifnab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:56 AM   #10
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I would only add that Unfinished tales contains things that may interest the friend in the event that they don't get into the Silmarillion - and many people who love LOTR never really make that transition. If they can accept that the tales are not definitive versions then they might like to read at least part 3 and maybe part 2 before the Silmarillion. There they will find lots of Tolkien's thoughts on such matters as the Palantiri, the Wizards, the Quest of Erebor (ie The Hobbit) from Gandalf's perspective.

Of course the published Silmarillion isn't exactly definitive but at that stage CT presented it as a "complete" work not as edited fragments.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 09:14 AM   #11
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Mänwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Mänwe
Tolkien Caution...

For me the natural choice was the Silmarillion, if I had known of the existance of the Silmarillion when I first encountered Lord of the Rings I would have read that first; due to the base history of the 'creation' and 'first ages' not covered by the trilogy.

However I hold some caution to promoting the Silmarillion, for it is considered by some to be less than canon. The rumoured changes and additions not of Tolkienesque make mean the books credabililty is degraded somewhat. However it does not detract from a book that is filled with useful insights and a glorious history.
- (Letter #124 To Sir Stanley Unwin)
Mänwe is offline   Reply With Quote