The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2003, 05:55 PM   #1
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Elven Servants, or does Galadriel do her own ironing?

I find it very odd to think of Elves doing housework, but someone had to do it. Did they employ humans? It wouldn't seem to make sense. Especially without money, but that's another question that gives me a headache thinking about it.

In the Hobbit Thranduil had Elves to roll his empty barrels around, and Galadriel and her ladies certainly sewed/wove or however they made the cloaks. But what about cooking, scrubbing floors and washing clothes? I can't imagine Elves with chapped hands or flour on their noses!

Are there classes in Elvish society the way there are in Hobbit or human? If so, how is it organised- according to wealth? Are the servants the Elves with the fewest jewels? Or do they take turns? Or, I don't know, are certain Elves born with the desire to do housework? Are there any clues, this question has been really annoying me!
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 06:45 PM   #2
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

I think that's a really interesting question Lyra.

We don't hear much about the 'proletarian' elves except Thranduil's butler (which was a highly prestigious occupation in medieval times).

I'd have to giess that the elves did have a class system, with those of more noble birth having higher status than the rest. Exactly how this could have worked in practical terms is something of a mystery. Did Elrond have elf peasants working his fields to make his bread? My idea is that the majority of ordinary elves shared the everyday tasks, then created exquisite artworks in their spare time. Even the most mundane tasks would have been performed in a stylish manner eg. ropemaking, perhaps mowing of fields into complex crop circle designs? After all they did have thousands of years to perfect these tasks.

The other possibility is that they used 'low-grade magic' to help out around the home. Thranduil's people were not the most powerful elves but were noted for their willingness to use magic for more trivial things.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:17 PM   #3
FingolfintheBold
Haunting Spirit

FingolfintheBold has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to FingolfintheBold
Sting

I like to think of the more "noble" elves as being in that position out of respect from other elves. Would any elf try and put themselves above Fëanor even if he wasn't of a more noble birth? I don't think so. They would have sensed and seen his power and ability and given him respect. Sort of a free enterprise kinda thing, perhaps. If an elf that wasn't of any noble birth but had great skill and leading prowess wanted to be the next Lord of Rivendell I imagine that could happen. But maybe that skill and prowess runs in the family...
Old 06-06-2003, 09:36 PM   #4
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I know this question was specifically concerned with the preparation of clothes, but I picture the elven garments of Middle-earth to be something special - just as the cloaks of Lothlorien helped mask the person wearing it, I believe they would've been wrinkle-free and stains would be removed with a simple dab of water.
Old 06-07-2003, 12:22 AM   #5
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I would probably say that they used somekind of magic to clean their dwellings. Or maybe they were so magical that they just kind of "kept clean" and never really got dirty. Or maybe dust and dirt just did not exsist in places like Lorien.

Quote:
but I picture the elven garments of Middle-earth to be something special - just as the cloaks of Lothlorien helped mask the person wearing it, I believe they would've been wrinkle-free and stains would be removed with a simple dab of water.
Could you even imagine the elves getting stains on their clothing. I could just never see someone like Galadriel accidently spilling their cup of wine on their dress, it just does not seem possible.
Old 06-07-2003, 02:14 AM   #6
Voronwe
Shade of Carn Dűm

Voronwe has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

At least one elf did have servants - Eol the Dark Elf:

Quote:
There was his smithy, and his dim halls, and such servants as he had, silent and secret as their master.
Old 06-07-2003, 06:40 AM   #7
Aule
Wight

Aule has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

How did elves get their food, did they have fields of grain for bread. Cuae if they did i find it hard to imagine elves ploughing the fields themselves
Old 06-07-2003, 06:41 AM   #8
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

My understanding is that elves are like upper class Bostonians. They don't 'perspire.' This saves on much washing.
Old 06-07-2003, 06:54 AM   #9
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Harumph... I'm certainly not "upper-class" but I still feel stereotyped [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I would imagine that Elves do work, some of them, but do it in some 'dainty' and 'nice' way that they don't get dirty or muss their hair...

~Menelien
Old 06-07-2003, 08:09 AM   #10
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

peony_foxburr has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peony_foxburr
Sting

Somehow I imagine the Elves (at least in the latter days) as being more the upper class merchant class--in that they bartered for the goods they didn't produce themselves, such as foodstuffs (I can't picture Elves ploughing either), with the exquisite jewelery, woven cloth, embroidery, etc. that they turned out? Is this realistic? Not so much that they couldn't work hard, but did they have the open land available to produce food? (I suspect Tolkien didn't think too much about it, just as "upper class Bostonians" didn't think too hard about where their eggs and meat were from!)
"And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water."
-The Return of the King
peony_foxburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 09:13 AM   #11
Tar Elenion
Shade of Carn Dűm

Tar Elenion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Elves had to farm and hunt and raise livestock, wash and sew, cook and clean, and generally labour just like everyone else.

Among the Noldor the farming was usually (though not always) women's work as was the baking of bread though the prepartion of other foods was generally reserved to men. The men were more often the smiths and wrights, composers and inventors, foresters and hunters, while the women usually were the seamtresses and muscians. Among the Eldar more generally those arts associated with healing and the care of the body tended to be the province of women while the arts of war were usually in the care of men.

[ June 07, 2003: Message edited by: Tar Elenion ]
Old 06-07-2003, 11:06 AM   #12
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

At least Galadriel poured her own water!

I'm thinking of the racial differences of the elves, but it may not necessarily mean that one race works for the other.

Quote:
Among the Noldor the farming was usually (though not always) women's work as was the baking of bread though the prepartion of other foods was generally reserved to men. The men were more often the smiths and wrights, composers and inventors, foresters and hunters, while the women usually were the seamtresses and muscians. Among the Eldar more generally those arts associated with healing and the care of the body tended to be the province of women while the arts of war were usually in the care of men.
I liked the way the Eldar does their work. It could be that they acquired these because of all the wars and conflicts that may ensanger their race.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 12:02 PM   #13
Amarie of the Vanyar
Wight

Amarie of the Vanyar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have found the following paragraph:

Quote:
From the ear to the wafer none were permitted to handle this grain, save those elven-women who were called Yavannildi (or by the Sindar the Ivonwin), the maidens of Yavanna; and the art of making of the lembas, which they learned of the Valar, was a secret among them, and so ever has remained.
Of Lembas - The Peoples of Middle-Earth
This means that there was at least some specialization in the elven society , but probably all jobs were highly considered, (even ironing if required [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ), because all work was done in the elvish manner: carefully and putting all your senses and love in what you are doing.
Old 06-07-2003, 04:08 PM   #14
Ava

Sting

Although I can't really imagine Elves ploughing the fields and such either, I'm sure they did. They had to have at one point, anyway, before there were any men or any other people to trade with, if they weren't doing it themselves. But I don't think that they viewed such jobs as being 'lowly', or on the bottom of the class hierarchy, or looked down upon them, like we might be inclined to do. The people that make the food or make the clothes control what you eat and wear, after all - without them you'd be naked and starving. Not a nice thought. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I really can't imagine there being poor peasant Elves to wait on the richer Elves, though, not in the way we tend to think of servants.
Old 06-07-2003, 06:16 PM   #15
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Quote:
Are there classes in Elvish society the way there are in Hobbit or human?
All Elves are equal. It's just that some are more equal than others. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2003, 06:42 PM   #16
Magician of Nathar
Animated Skeleton

Magician of Nathar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh please. Of course the elves did all of those farming, cooking, washing stuff! I am sure the elven society is just like a feudal society, and Rivendell is nothing different from a manor. No matter how magical, etheral and beautiful those elves are, I don't think they are socially and technologically advanced. Tolkien definitely omitted those details on purpose. They are not really related to the main story, and if all those things are laid out in details before you, they will rub out all those mistified beauty.
Magician of Nathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 02:19 AM   #17
Aredhel Idril Telcontar
Wight

Aredhel Idril Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Of course they did all those things (farming, washing, ironing etc.), but they probably did it in a way that would make those tasks seem glorious and neccessary (and they were, neccessary at least).
Elves probably did have classes like everyone else, maybe even like those in Hindu societies.
One question: Could those classes be based on beauty instead of birth? It would seem like an Elvish thing to do [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]. Of course, that's only if those classes exsited at all...
I don't think they would have allowed a 'commoner' Elf to become a leader. That would almost seem like democracy and I just can't imagine Elves in a democracy... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2003, 12:00 PM   #18
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I don't think that the Elves had a feudal system. They probably had a bit of a class system, for example, the descendants of Finwë would have been deferred to a lot more than, let's say, a Marchwarden of Lothlorien. I think all those people who were descended from those three great Elf-Kings were considered the "nobles," and the ones who weren't really descended from them were considered more of the commoners. Also, it would make sense that the Eldar would have a higher status than the Avari, having come from Aman and all.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 05:04 PM   #19
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I think Amarie is right, that elves were prepared to put their hands to whatever needed to be done, and do it with consummate grace and artistry.

*Lalaith vows to henceforth clean her lavatory in an Elvish manner*