The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-20-2003, 04:47 PM   #1
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lady Snickerdoodle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Bad casting

Don't get me wrong, I love the movies, but I just think that they could have picked better actors for some parts. Like (this is a little late) Elrond looks so evil, and even acts evil like in ROTK he tries to change what he knows is Arwen's destiny, in spite of also knowing what she would choose. Also in ROTK, Denethor is nowhere near as kind and noble as he is in the books. In the movies, he is coarse and rude, and pessimistic all the way through. He is supposed to inspire Pippen to swear his allegiance, not make him do it just to "pay his debt" to Boromir!
Old 12-20-2003, 05:10 PM   #2
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree that Denethor was portrayed as far less noble than he was in the books, but I think this was a product of the script, not the casting. I thought that John Noble played him brilliantly with the part provided to him, and I think he would have done an equally good job had his character been given a bit more nobility and honor (i.e. not getting repeatedly jabbed with Gandalf's staff).
Old 12-20-2003, 05:27 PM   #3
Arwen_Evenstar
Wight

Arwen_Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hello!<BR>Well, i sort of agree with elrond. Dont get me wrong,Hugo weaving did a great job as Elrond, but elves are supposed to be fair, and light and airy, and i just think that he didn't have quite the right image. <BR>With denethor, you can't blame story changes on the actor: he's just saying what the writers tell him. But in the book i did get the feeling that Denethor was a bit hopeless. I also thought he talked to Pippin in a very condescending manner, like he never really had much interest in him. <P>But in general I think the casting was pretty good. There was the odd mistake...like with the original Aragorn. But that worked out alright in the end, cause they got Viggo instead. <P>Have a nice day.<BR>
Old 12-20-2003, 05:35 PM   #4
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I didn't like some of their casting choices, but the excellence of the others more than made up for it. Faramir's acting was great, as was Pippin's and Gandalf's. The only thing I didn't like about Denethor was that horribly overdramatic scene in which he throws himself from the citadel. How ridiculous. It utterly stripped him of any nobility he had had.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 08:46 PM   #5
Iris Alantiel
Haunting Spirit

Iris Alantiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Elrond looks so evil, and even acts evil like in ROTK he tries to change what he knows is Arwen's destiny, in spite of also knowing what she would choose. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I think you bring up a good point - it would have been nice to have a sympathetic and caring-seeming Elrond who would have played that whole storyline in a softer, more "My-heart-breaks-for-my-daughter-and-I-want-to-lovingly-save-her" kind of way. As it was, he came across as hard-hearted, angry, and kind of manipulative (that whole "Do I not also have your love?" thing was pure emotional blackmail). All throughout, I thought he came across as much more harsh and angry than I imagined him - like the whole "she stays for you" episode in TTT where he yells at Aragorn. He has a permanent scowl on his face and all his lines sound as if they ought to end with "Mr. Anderson".<P>As for the Denethor thing, there's no hope for it. I don't think any actor could have played the script all that much differently from how John Noble played it. But that was not a huge problem for me because I was never a big fan of Denethor in the books; to me he always came across as kind of a jerk anyway. I always found him too angry and too willing to give in to despair.
Iris Alantiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 09:25 PM   #6
faenaduial

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Well, i sort of agree with elrond. Dont get me wrong,Hugo weaving did a great job as Elrond, but elves are supposed to be fair, and light and airy, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Where did you get that idea?<P>Tolkien describes a number of the elves as having dark hair and specifically says Elrond's hair was dark as the shadows of twilight and his eyes were grey.
Old 12-21-2003, 06:10 PM   #7
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I think that was a polite way of saying "he's too ugly for an elf!". <P>I originally thought there were a couple of poor casting decisions, notably Elrond, but the final movie did a lot to fix that. Hugo performed very well, although I still don't think he had the right look, and his eyebrows were <B>very</B> distracting! David Bowie wasn't cast because he was too recognisable, but I think the filmmakers underestimated the Smith element. We all know and loathe Hugo Weaving as Agent Smith from The Matrix, and there's just no changing that. Bad casting.<P>Personally I think that David Wenham did an average job at best, but I honestly can't blame him. I would have been extremely frustrated at the weak character of Faramir provided by the script-writers. Barnard Hill turned out to be a truly awful Théoden, as well. Not enough has been said about the demise of one of my favourite characters from the book. The speech before the Pelennor Fields could not have been done better, but I really didn't like the arrogant, crass and mean Théoden that Hill gave us.<P>Another ugly elf was Ereinion Gil-Galad. That guy was the single biggest casting blunder in the trilogy, although it really only matters to those of us too far immersed in the books. Isildur and Elendil had little nobility as well, and Círdan just looked too ancient.
Old 12-22-2003, 03:03 AM   #8
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I didn't think Bernard Hill's Theoden was terrible, but it could have been better. I most defintely didn't like the way he was during Helm's Deep, but I did like his Speech before they go into battle. I have only seen him in one other film and that is Titanic (which I watched tonight, it was on TV), so maybe he is just bitter because in every major film he is in he has to die?<P>Yes, I still (even though I think he did fine) don't know why they cast Hugo Weaving as Elrond. He just always looked stressed out and he needs to find himself a new eyebrow plucker. But then also right now I can't think of another person they could have cast, so I guess it ended up okay.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:34 AM   #9
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
Sting

I didn't think Hugo was the best choice for Elrond. Thankfully, I saw the FotR before I saw the Matrix, so I didn't have the Agent Smith stuck in my head the whole time. For the TT and RotK, it was a different story.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:44 PM   #10
Arcuwen
Pile O'Bones

Arcuwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arcuwen
Sting

I personally liked Denethor in ROTK, the way he acted in the movie was how I had pictured him in the book. You have to remember he just lost his favorite son, a wizard comes out of nowhere and is telling him how to run Minas Tirith, and he lives right next to the source of all evil. I would be bitter and not in my right mind if I was him. At that moment in time his is meant to be a bitter and cold man, fearing the loss of another son, destruction of his city, or being overthrown by some ranger who claims to be Isildur's heir. As for John Noble, I think he did an excellent job as Denethor, he was just the way I pictured him when I read ROTK. But I do have to agree about the running off a cliff thing. He was supposed to be overcome with sadness and anger, not stupidity.<P>As far as Elrond is concerned, I was not unhappy with Hugo Weaving's performance. My first impression of Elrond was that he was stern yet fair, with was how he was portrayed in the movies. Although Hugo isn't exactly "elvish" in appearance, he did a good job in making Elrond seem noble. I have to admit the eyebrows were a little distracting, but it's a small matter in the large scope of things really. But I never saw any of the Matrix movies, so if I had seen them they possibly would have altered my opinion of Hugo as Elrond.
Arcuwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 02:57 PM   #11
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

You do all remember that Elrond is <I>Half</I>-elven, right? <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Thankfully, I saw the FotR before I saw the Matrix, so I didn't have the Agent Smith stuck in my head the whole time.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Yeah, I saw FotR first (actually, I haven't even seen Matrix all the way through yet...) so when I did see some of the Matrix I was thinking, "Hey, Elrond!" Now I just call him Agent Elrond, no matter which film I'm talking about, and hope people don't get confused.<P>I didn't really have a problem with the casting of Denethor, just the writing involving the character. John Noble did a great job, but PJ et al could definitely done a better job in writing the part. Considering what he had to work with, Noble did an incredible job.<P>Abedithon le,<P>~*~Aranel~*~
Old 12-23-2003, 03:13 PM   #12
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Elrond doesn't bother me so much because he was the actor that fit the <I>movie</I>-Elrond. Not the book-Elrond exactly, but the movie-Elrond. I dont' especially mind Theoden's portrayl in TTT, either (with the exception of him nearly killing Wormtounge). I think that Denethor wasn't done nearly has well as we could've been, &, although I'm not sure that this quite counts in some ways , I really didn't like the 'orc commander' we had thrown at us. He barely looked like an orc at all, from the side he looked ridiculous, & he had the sterotypical bad guy voice.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 03:25 PM   #13
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I really didn't like the 'orc commander' we had thrown at us. He barely looked like an orc at all, from the side he looked ridiculous, & he had the sterotypical bad guy voice.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That was exactly what I thought. I didn't think there was any reason to have a captain, other than the Witch King, in there at all. I would have like to see, if anything, an orc captain like we had in the TT. All evil, all the time. The captain in RotK looked like a goblin man or something. Could have been done better.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:55 PM   #14
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I didn't think there was any reason to have a captain<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> Having a captain doesn't really make a lot of a difference to me, but for goodness sake, have a little imagination (& don't let it run away with you) when you're creating him & giving him a voice.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 07:45 PM   #15
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lady Snickerdoodle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Hugo performed very well, although I still don't think he had the right look, and his eyebrows were very distracting! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>LOL! so true. I didn't really have a problem with Theoden either, I mean, compare him to his Gondor counterpart and anyone would be great. Sorry that was a little mean. *on a mean streak this week* <BR>Considering other characters, my dad thought that Liv Tyler was a horrible Arwen. I kind of lashed out, I thought she was great...