The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2004, 08:55 PM   #41
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

I'm ashamed to say it, but my most used saying is from the films:

"You're 'opeless"

It seems to fit with so many situations.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:02 PM   #42
Lhundulinwen
Wight

Lhundulinwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lhundulinwen Send a message via MSN to Lhundulinwen Send a message via Yahoo to Lhundulinwen
1420!

I had to read the villians part in some story in english, and I did the *whole* thing in Gollumn's voice. It was cool. Got some odd looks... but who cares? Oh, and does anyone have LOTR quotes hanging in their room? I do !
Old 05-15-2004, 10:34 AM   #43
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dűm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

There's the ever fun: "That is no orc horn." when someone blows their nose.

"Keep up Gimli!" when your friends lag behind.

"You're late." is often appropriate (or in Elvish "Le abdoleth.")

"Flee! Flee for your lives!" is always fun, especially when there's no real reason to say it.

"What's taters precious, eh? What's taters?", or whatever food it is at the time.

"*wherever* *whoever you're with*, is it left of right?"

My prom dress had big princess sleeves, like Galadriel, so when my mommy was fixing the hem I would wave my arms around: "All shall love me and despair."

That's all I can thinkg of now. I'll be back though.
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 08:09 AM   #44
Nimrothiel
Shade of Carn Dűm

Nimrothiel has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*There's the ever fun: "That is no orc horn." when someone blows their nose.*
Roflmao!!!!!!! I have to remember that one! So sorry I can't think of anything right now; that idea really made my day. (I liked the "All shall love me and despair" one as well.)
Old 05-17-2004, 11:27 AM   #45
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The end of the world as we know it. I feel fine, incidentally.
Maeggaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Dark-Eye

Hissing "We wantss it!!" in a Gollum-esque voice always works for me. Doesn't matter WHAT we wants, it's the tone that counts. It freaks people out, which is always fun.

I also enjoy saying "Where... is... Gan...dalf?" in my hokey Celeborn/William Shadner voice, just to make my sister laugh.

Once I actually said "Mae govannen, mellon" when someone offered me a slice of melon. They gave me a strange look. *sniff sniff* No one understands me!!!

Oh yeah, and this isn't a LOTR saying, but imitating Figwit can be really fun. Just sit really still and straight, and flare your eyebrows every three seconds or so. Make note of all the weird glances you get. I dare you.

Okay, now I'm frightening myself. I need counseling.
~Maeggaladiel of the Four Eyes
Old 06-14-2004, 12:04 PM   #46
Carnimírië
Wight

Carnimírië has just left Hobbiton.
I've given someone Gandalf's "good morning" rap from The Hobbit...
Quote:
What do you mean? Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not, or that you feel good this morning, or that it is a morning to be good on?
Needless to say, she didn't answer: "All of them at once, and a fine morning for smoking a pipe into the bargain!" She kinda didn't understand it...*sigh* we Tolkienites really must form our own country...

Sister of The Elf Warrior
Carnimírië is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 01:46 PM   #47
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White Tree

my favorite

"Now, now don't be hasty" works almost everywhere especially at work my boss tells me to move faster.

Or when we're about to get a test "One by one they fell to the power of the teacher."

and i like saying all of treebeard's lines for no reason at all
Old 06-14-2004, 02:14 PM   #48
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
All these are really fun!

I quote Lotr a lot, but right now the only thing that comes to mind (and apropriately, too) is the "Filthy pop-ups! Wicked , trickssy, falssse! Curse them! We hates them, we hates them forever!" OT: there's a pop-up that keeps coming up asking me if I want to get rid of pop-ups! I mean, seriously... How tricksy can you get?

btw - I was on another, non-lotr related forum a few days ago, and someone said she was getting 'gollumic' because of a link that was not working. I was about to ask her if she knows the 'Downs and this thread:http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=5284
But then I figured that Lotr had become so much of a mainstream thingy, that these sayings probably entered into spoken language already. How cool is this? This is language in the making!
Old 06-14-2004, 05:08 PM   #49
Arwen Evenstar

Arwen Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen Evenstar Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Evenstar
White Tree

That is so eery, Evisse the Blue! I say the same things about pop-ups. Often times when I`m about to post something, I discover that the same thing has already been posted! I think that we LotR fans share brain waves or something.

Now that I think about it, we really are inventing another language!
Arwen Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 03:01 PM   #50
Lhundulinwen
Wight

Lhundulinwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lhundulinwen Send a message via MSN to Lhundulinwen Send a message via Yahoo to Lhundulinwen
Silmaril

Went to see Chronicles of Riddick this weekend, and during a couple of scenes all I could think of was "Dirty, nasty, fithy orcs! We hatesss them, yesss we do." Don't ask. Of course, there's also the ever useful "That sucks a big hairy hobbit toe." One of my favorites....
Old 06-16-2004, 04:19 AM   #51
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Quote:
I think that we LotR fans share brain waves or something.
Should we join forces, we could rule the world!

yesterday, mom wanted to borrow LOTR to one of her pupils, and my sister was scowling, and mom eventually said: 'It is mine to give to whom I will'. That was a blast!
Old 06-16-2004, 04:22 PM   #52
Vuelve
Wight

Location: A portal to an alternate dimension at your local Wal-Mart store.
Vuelve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Vuelve
Quote:
What's scary is that you aren't even thinking about it and you are talking to someone and you wonder why something you said sounded familiar and realize it was from LotR.
I've done that!!!
Quote:
"That sucks a big hairy hobbit toe."
LOL that's brialliant!!! LOL!!! I'm going to have to steal that, if you dont mind.LOL

A couple of days ago I was out riding my horse along my back fence when I noticed a gate had been pushed down, and my other horse and cows could get out.I didn't see the cows anywhere and it was getting close to dark so I kicked my horse and said something along the lines of "Show us the meaning of haste.".
I got back to the house, dad fixed the gate, and all is well.
BTW I have noticed that I sometimes speak with a British accent and say things like "bloody", "brialliant, and "wicked".The only thing wrong with this is I'm from Oklahoma; go figure.

Vuelve
Vuelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:25 PM   #53
Roccotari Eldandil
Haunting Spirit

Roccotari Eldandil has just left Hobbiton.
I was sitting in the doorway @ school (working on a group project) and someone tried to get out. I sat up (my friend was tickling me, so I was on my back) and said "You cannot pass!" in my best Gandalf voice. Then I was called a geek, and the world was happy. Incidentally, the poor guy who was trying to exit hung from a tall ledge (think Bridge of Khazad-Dűm) and shouted "Fly, you fools!" a few months earlier.
Two examples in one post! Boy, do I feel special.
I also talk to my horse in Quenya a lot. Of course I've used "my precioussss;" it's quite versatile. I tend to use it when stealing pencils, flip-flops, foot, etc. from my best (and LotR-loving) friend. I need to go re-read the books and write down all the quotable stuff.

Last edited by Roccotari Eldandil; 06-24-2004 at 09:44 PM.
Roccotari Eldandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 03:14 PM   #54
Theron Bugtussle
Wight

Location: Blowing the froth off a couple in this quaint little pub in Michel Delving.
Theron Bugtussle has just left Hobbiton.
Palantir-Green

When cooking, especially grilling out, I ask about the accompanying dishes.

"What I wouldn't give for some nice taters!" *and especially if someone looks at me funny:*"...PO-TAY-TOES!"

Like Sam in Ithilien, talking to Gollum.
Old 06-26-2004, 01:39 PM   #55
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dűm

Lady Snickerdoodle has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
What I wouldn't give for some nice taters!" *and especially if someone looks at me funny:*"...PO-TAY-TOES!
OMG i do the potatoes thing all the time!! like when someone doesn't understand something you said (it doesn't have to be lotr related though no one understands me when i get tolkienish anyway) you lean in really close to their face and explain, "po-TA-toes!" and then go back to whatever you were doing without further comment. Try it! but its REALLY hard to keep a straight face. Usually you burst out laughing in their face and spray spit all over them.

hmm... i use lotr quotes all the time. like when my family's going on a trip or something and we're all spazzing at the last moment packing and stuff, I (half way out the door) lean back in and cry, "Forth Eorlingas!" and then go down the steps humming "the road goes ever on and on.."

and one time, during a sleepover when the lights went out and i was trying to get a flashlight to work, I started banging it and saying, "Aiya earendil elenion ancalima!" most insistently, but my friend did not get it.

Also when you're cooking something its fun to shout out "FRY YOU FOOLS!!!" at random intervals.
Old 06-26-2004, 02:49 PM   #56
One of the Nine
Haunting Spirit

Location: In my mind. What? Why are you looking at me like that?
One of the Nine has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to One of the Nine Send a message via MSN to One of the Nine
Sting

I do a lot of stuff.... like saying LOTS AND LOTS of Gollum quotes. One thing about that is that I can do it really well (or so people say) so I always friek people out when I do that.
Another thing my cousin (firefoot) and I do a lot is sing "Hey! Ho! To the bottle I go!...." and that usually frieks people out. Nobody gets our "strange" obsession!
Another thing I do is say the "You shall not pass!" when I don't want someone to come into my room. That usually keeps my annoying siblings away.
I can't think of anything else at the moment, but I'm sure I will later!
Old 06-27-2004, 03:46 PM   #57
PaleStar
Animated Skeleton

PaleStar has just left Hobbiton.
Dark-Eye

Hmm...all very good!

Sometimes, if I'm upset, and talking to someone, I say, "Yea, I will drink thy blood gladly", quoting Turin Turambar's sword. It gets weird looks.
Hm...lots of things that Merry and Pippin say in FOTR are good quotes; nice and random, too.
It's also fun to grab your siblings friends as they walk by your room, pull them in and say, "Are you frightened? Not nearly enough!" and push them back out.
I like to quote Bilbo's birthday speech; usually under my breath, though.
"Get thee gone and take thy due place" is excellent! I love using it.
And of course there is talking to animals (and people) in Sindarin and Quenya.
It's not really a quote, but you say random things that, in context, are beautiful pieces of advice, like, "Many are the strange chances of the world and helps oft shall come from the hands of the weak when the Wise falter.", but on their own, well...are random.
And, of course, if someone's insulting me, I growl and say, "my house has not earn such names from any elf, be he king or no". It shuts people up quite nicely.
I was at the mall the other day, and someone sitting behind me in the food court had chinese food. I turned around and said, " Is it nice, my preciousss? Is it juicy? Is it scrumtiously crunchable?" I scared him.
The twinkie game, the one where you replace certain words in LOTR quotes with 'twinkie', or 'pants' is good for freaking people out...
This isn't really a quote, but seeing Bakishi's version of Bilbo made me say, "Hm...so Bilbo's been dealing in Crack again.." He's SO TWITCHY in Bakishi's movie! -growls-
This isn't a quote either, but...the first time my friend saw TTT, when Gandalf casts back the grey robes and reveals himself as Gandy the White, she yelled, "oh my God, it's Jesus!"
More as they, well, appear in life, I suppose.

Last edited by PaleStar; 06-27-2004 at 03:51 PM.
PaleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 03:55 PM   #58
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dűm

XD using inspiration from you all, I went out with my family today and probably convinced them that I need a therapist.

on IM just now, I had to get up and get another cookie (hehe..) so i said "brb one sec" and then as an afterthought, added "I'm diminishing and going into the west, if u want to know" when i got back, I was trying to think of a clever quote to use, but I couldnt think of anything. Help, anyone? Yeah and then my friends and I were talking about how we've been lazing around all week eating cookies/brownies/candy and stuff, so in a fit of insanity, i typed in, "*looks at butt* It's getting heavier, Sam..." which got many amusing reactions. i love keeping my friends awake.
(and no I don't support eating disorders, like i said I was randomly being crazy)
Old 06-27-2004, 08:07 PM   #59
PaleStar
Animated Skeleton

*falls over laughing*
Oh..oh..that's funny!
Old 06-29-2004, 12:09 AM   #60
Araréiel

Araréiel has just left Hobbiton.
I'm sadly more lilely to start spewing something in Elvish and have people look at me like I'm nuts when they ask what language and I say Quenya. "Where did you learn Kenyan?" "No, QUENYA! And it's only some things..."
Araréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 04:22 PM   #61
Carnimírië
Wight

Quote:
on IM just now, I had to get up and get another cookie (hehe..) so i said "brb one sec" and then as an afterthought, added "I'm diminishing and going into the west, if u want to know" when i got back, I was trying to think of a clever quote to use, but I couldnt think of anything. Help, anyone?
How about "Wherever I have been I am back"? Gandalf tells that to Merry and Pippin when they ask him where he was.

I said "Open in the name of Mordor" when I was locked out of the house once...and I love "Forth Eorlingas!"

Old 06-29-2004, 05:09 PM   #62
PaleStar
Animated Skeleton

"Open In The Name of Mordor" is great to use when you get stuck outside of anywhere...
Has anyone used, "Aiya Elenion Ancalima!" when using a flashlight? It's great; freaks out other people in the campground when you yell it
Old 06-29-2004, 05:24 PM   #63
Carnimírië
Wight

All my flashlights have dead batteries, alas, but I know I've used "Aiya Elenion Ancalima!" before for something...can't remember what it was. Maybe just randomly. And yay, this'll be my 100th post!

Old 06-30-2004, 06:18 AM   #64
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dűm

Quote:
How about "Wherever I have been I am back"? Gandalf tells that to Merry and Pippin when they ask him where he was.
ooh thanks im gonna use that one...
Old 06-30-2004, 06:07 PM   #65
Arwen Evenstar

Send a message via AIM to Arwen Evenstar Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Evenstar
Pipe speaking of that...

Does anyone know what Aiya Earendil elenion ancalama means? I don`t, but I say it often.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:14 PM   #66
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dűm

I don't exactly know, because I am only halfway through elvish lessons, but the first two words are "Hail Earendil" and "ancalima" is "great light-giver" so it's praising the star.

online dictionary:
http://www.rialian.com/quenya-english.htm#a

Last edited by Lady Snickerdoodle; 06-30-2004 at 07:18 PM.
Lady Snickerdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 05:51 PM   #67
Carnimírië
Wight

Silmaril

"Aiya Eärendil elenion ancalima!" means "Hail Eärendil brightest of the stars!"

Old 07-11-2004, 05:57 PM   #68
Arwen Evenstar

Silmaril

I am also half way through my elvish lessons at councilofelrond.com. Where are you taking them, Lady Snickerdoodle?
Old 07-12-2004, 04:25 AM   #69
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Quote:
Has anyone used, "Aiya Elenion Ancalima!" when using a flashlight?
No but if I see a nasty spider, I shout "Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima" and drop a heavy book on it. Yeah, not so courteous but I'm afraid of those eight-legged creatures.

Another my all-time favourite is very useful when dealing with kids. "Show them no mercy for you shall receive none!"
Then there's of course "Who enters my domain?" when someone enters my room.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:34 PM   #70
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dűm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye

I've used "Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalime" before. Usually it accompanies a banging of a flashlight on a tree or some other appropriate surface.

Another one I use is "Get thee gone and take thy due place" to get people to leave me alone. It usually works, most likely because of the middle-late english pronouns.

Ah, middle-late english pronouns. Those little buggers have gotten me out of some pretty tight spaces.
Saraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 02:43 PM   #71
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

After my grade 8 graduation a bunch of us went to a restaurant and everyone was giving speaches. I got up and quoted Bilbo;

" I know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like half of you half as well as you deserve"

All my friends got a look on thier face like "I should of known she would say that", cause they all know I love LOTR. hehehe

Last edited by wilwarin538; 08-02-2004 at 07:02 AM.
wilwarin538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 10:35 PM   #72
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
When being overloaded with homework:
"Why do you lay these troubles on an already troubled mind?" (I really have said that, quite loudly, to a teacher)
My, Elennar, so have I!

My friend and I say " You're hopeless. Go to sleep!" to each other whenever the things we say become so senseless, or when we just feel like it.

Every night, I look for the planet Venus and say, dramatically, "Aiya Earendil elenion ancalima." Too bad nobody's been giving me weird stares.

I have also used the line " Do you remember when we first met?" line in Sindarin during an emotional talk with somebody.

And the latest LotR line I have used came from Eowyn: "Alas, not me, lord. Shadow lies on me still. Look not to me for healing." Yes, that's my sad life. I'm Eowyn for the moment.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 11:05 PM   #73
Nimrothiel
Shade of Carn Dűm

Nimrothiel has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

*This isn't a quote either, but...the first time my friend saw TTT, when Gandalf casts back the grey robes and reveals himself as Gandy the White, she yelled, "oh my God, it's Jesus!"*
Roflmao!!!!!! Thanks, I needed that. I personally love to use Gollum quotes or at least speak in his voice; I often receive interesting looks.
Old 07-17-2004, 03:49 PM   #74
PaleStar
Animated Skeleton

I, as I've said before, like to take quotes from every which way of Tolkien's work. It's fun; though the Gollum impressions are my favorite to do, I haven't been doing them as much lately. Mostly it's been stuff like, " 'E had a queer look about 'im..." when describing someone...
Or I'll recite some of Gaffer Gamgee's advice; but no one wants to hear it...oh well.
And I've harrased my siblings by calling them Figwit and telling them to leave whereever I am. They don't listen.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:55 PM   #75
Arwen Evenstar

Pipe

I just barely got back from a vacation to California. We drove there and back again (a 13 hour drive.) On our way back I was muttering to myself in English, and my parents were convinced I was speaking elvish.