The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2003, 03:22 PM   #1
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Tolkien Drums, Drums in the Deep...of Udûn (School)!

Our walls/floors are built with air spaces, so if you stamp hard, or hit the wall, it sounds really hollow. OK, time for the story.

Today I was going to my Singing Lesson, and suddenly I heard doom. I thought, weird, why would someone be stamping around the school, the GCSE mocks are on and everything! doom. doom doom. doom doom doom! Just like the film!

I must say I went to my lesson happier having just had a rather supernatural LotR experience. Maybe it was just in my head though... Does anyone else here "hear" things?
Old 01-14-2003, 03:32 PM   #2
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ElentariGreenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

ITS NOT FAIR! NOTHING LIKE THAT EVER HAPPENS! *sulks in corner*
Old 01-14-2003, 08:59 PM   #3
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

well, a couple times walking to my friends house (her road is just a road through the woods with a few houses and streetlights) i heard branches breaking in the woods, and the bears are all hibernating and deer dont make any noise and we dont have any other animals here able to do that, and then i heard a sort of Orc-noise in the woods--like a shriek-squeal-yell. it was night and pretty freaky, so i was VERY creeped out!!
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 09:04 PM   #4
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

Wow, that's pretty awesome. I can't say I've ever had any LotR supernatural experiences, let alone any supernatural experiences at all (well, okay, once I heard a clock ticking on a floor of the house where we don't have a ticking clock... it went away right after my mom said that [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] ) Lucky people!
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 09:34 AM   #5
Nimrothiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nimrothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've had one where I seriously thought that I was Legolas at Helm's Deep. I felt a huge adrenaline rush, and saw an army of orcs rushing at me. I guess I must've zoned out or something, 'cuz my mom asked me if I was okay. It was cool, but kinda wierd. I actually felt like I was holding a bow in my hands. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 01-16-2003, 06:30 PM   #6
MYyyPreciousSS
Wight

MYyyPreciousSS has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MYyyPreciousSS
Ring

I've also kind of had an experience like that at school. I was sitting at lunch and I heard this loud horn coming from downstairs. I still don't really know what it was and I didn't really relize it at first, but when I heard that I yelled "The horn of Gondor!" Of course my friend who was with me thought I was crazy, but she's used to it. It just came out of me.
Though,what normally happens to me, is I hear elves singing. Its really wierd! I know its just some other sound that i'm twisting around in my head, but it still gives me that rush. Its happened to me once while I was drifted in Geometry class and a couple of other times.
Yet, My favorite feeling ever, was when I actually felt the presence of the hobbits. I had just woken up, but my eyes were still closed, and it felt to me as if I were in a forest and beside me where the hobbits sitting around a campfire and for some reason I felt Pippin's presence the strongest. I know I had just woken up and thats when most people aren't quite with it yet, but it was the most comforting feeling ever. Its only happened a couple times afterward when i've difted by a fire, but never as strong.\
I guess you can call me crazy, but if this is crazy, I love it!

"My Preciousss" - the line that started the obsession.
MYyyPreciousSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 05:07 PM   #7
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

WOW! Precious, thats awesome! i just had that stupid woods-thingy. i wanna have like a REAL LotR experience. i wish i would have one of those things... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 09:25 PM   #8
Lord Tohlos
Pile O'Bones

Lord Tohlos has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I hear Gimli speaking all the time...plus I hear his battle call from Helms Deep in the book...Ive even once seen an Uruk-Hai in some woods...at least, I did.

"Elves? Pah! I would rather fight with an army of Orcs then fight with Elves!"
Lord Tohlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 09:39 PM   #9
Galadrie1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadrie1 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

My best Lord of the Rings experience was when I had a dream that I was in the Fellowship (sort of).

I was standing on a small hill in the middle of a field, and I could make out a forest (which I'm pretty sure was Lothlorien) in the distance. I looked down, and I was in bare feet, wearing a long white dress. Aragorn was standing beside me, and down off the hill Legolas and Gimli were running towards the forest. The rest of the Fellowship was behind me.

Aragorn looked down at me, and somehow I just knew that I was Legolas's daughter! Aragorn kind of nudged my shoulder, and I started laughing and running down the hill towards Legolas. I caught up to him and we were both laughing, and he grabbed my hand and we ran together, beside a shallow, clear stream.

I think in the dream I was only like five years old or something, because I felt really young. Everything looked so crisp and clear, and the air was so fresh. When I woke up I couldn't stop crying because I wanted to go back so badly.

That was my best LotR dream. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

EDIT: Just to let you know, I am not an "Orli/Legolas Drooler"!

[ January 17, 2003: Message edited by: Galadrie1 ]
"For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel."
Galadrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 10:06 PM   #10
Aiya
Pile O'Bones

Aiya has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Well, my friend now owns a bow, arrows, and the whole kit of arm-guards, finger-guards, quiver... etc... I get the general idea that my LotR experiences are going to become on the increase in the near future.

A group of us were staying at my friend's house, and we were watching through some movies, and I had taken my friend's ring. Beautiful golden ring with engravings on it (pity its not Tengwar, but oh well), and thinking about how much it reminded me of the One Ring. Suddenly my friend turned around and started saying, "Where is it? Where is the ring? It is mine, my own. It was a birthday present."

[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] I don't believe she has even read any Tolkien.
Old 01-19-2003, 08:05 AM   #11
Melephelwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Melephelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I once tried some "thought transfer" (don't know if that's the right word) in the way that a friend was thinking of one particular thing and had to try make me think of the same just by 'sending' his thoughts to me. And it worked!!!! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] I got it in the second try (he was think of a path and I started out with guessing brook - they look alike when you can only see the contures). He also tried with 'sword' (A sword Gandalf was holding in front of his edition of LotR, and I guessed ~the One~ 'Ring'...
It's nothing compared to some of your stuff, but it's what I've experienced (almost) LotR-related... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
And we dance beneath the moon
Melephelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 11:30 PM   #12
Sadbh
Haunting Spirit

Sadbh has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It isn't really cool, like experiences others have had but sometimes at night, if I'm out in our yard, I'm almost certain I can feel the presence of an ent. I also remember I had a dream once, where I was writing a story and Legolas sort of appeared and told me that Middle Earth existed and that everyone and everything in the books were real. He looked differnet than in the movie, with dark hair and eyes. His hair also had red streaks. Don't ask, I don't know. All I know is, I woke up feeling insanely cheery, and the feeling lingered throughout the day.

Probably just my overly-active imagination and my mega-obssetition with Tolkien and LotR, but maybe not... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2003, 09:24 PM   #13
Sillabub
Wight

Sillabub has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Unfortunately, I don't think much super-natural stuff has happened, but there are some pretty...odd...occasions
-That time when I said that someone in this picture looked like gollum, and then I kept on mentioning gollum, so the person said 'everything looks like gollum to you'.
-Everytime I see a crow I yell 'crabbian from dunlan!', which was actually started by a friend of mine but I introduced several people to the habit
-I've corrected my LOTR obsessed friends on a few occasions, and I haven't even read anything other than the hobbit and FOTR in the series (baaaaaad me!)
-I re-built the shire in my backyard this winter, out of snow
-For some reason, LOTR can find it's way into most conversation topics (tho Jellicles are easier to include for some reason)
-everyone now represents a LOTR character

That's all I can think of right now
Old 04-29-2003, 12:57 AM   #14
Tinuviel the Nightingale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tinuviel the Nightingale has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I am so envious of the people that had pleasant LOTR experiences.
My own experience was quite different, and actually really scary.

I was walking home one night, and I was surrounded by trees, the air was all still, and there was no sound. Suddenly I hear this really creepy high-pitched Nazgul screech... and I was so scared I nearly made lemonade (shameful, I know).

I convinced myself it was a possum, nothing more, but it was still pretty creepy.
Tinuviel the Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 10:27 AM   #15
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've never heard anything, only seen. I saw JRR Tolkien in my town once. Only v. briefly, like one second you glance and he's there, the next second you look back and he's not.
I saw ents in my garden a few times, and actually I think I have heard entish noises a few times.
The only other supernatural experience I get is from the Grim Reaper. He's lived in our house for several months.
Old 04-29-2003, 10:57 AM   #16
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: WtR: 413 miles/Floating happily across the floor in the arms of The Phantom.....
Arafangwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Arafangwen Send a message via AIM to Arafangwen
Silmaril

Lol! That's great Meela! I've tried Onsawe with someone that didn't know I was trying it and I think it worked but I'm not sure..... They started talking about what I was telling them about in my mind soooo......
Arafangwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 06:38 PM   #17
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Question

I once had a really disturbing LOTR dream, in which I joined the hobbits and we stayed in a 100-story-tall hotel made of glass... don't ask.

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 04:41 PM   #18
Sillabub
Wight

Sillabub has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Ohhh I rmrmber now!!!! Once I was playing hide-and-go-seek at my church (youth group was over and we were BORED) and I was allll alone in the loft, hiding behind a fake prop door. I was really cramped from kneeling for sooo long. Suddenly I got the eerie sensation that there were Nazgul somewhere near me, and I nearly screamed (before I left for youth group I had just watched FOTR for the first complete time ever, so perhaps that made me a bit paranoid...)
Old 05-18-2003, 04:37 PM   #19
polices
Animated Skeleton

polices has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to polices Send a message via AIM to polices
The Eye

I belive that you are suffering from the diseas of the mind IAGC ( I Am Going Crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!) I feel the exact same way when I sit in my atick and play hide and seek with my friends. i also got the heebie-jeebies when I hear the wind hit my windw and knock around my drapes. (Stupid crack!)
[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
polices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 05:55 AM   #20
Tinuviel the Nightingale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tinuviel the Nightingale has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I was walking around my school, being delirious, and pretending that my school was Rivendell. I passed by this weird garden, someone with long blonde hair caught the corner of my eye and.. I seriously thought I was in Rivendell with dear Legolas. *Sigh*.
Tinuviel the Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 06:19 AM   #21
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aiya to thee aiya. Yours has got to be the funniest. Plus, it was definitely real. Me really laughed when Me read it!
Nothing supernatural and LOTR relaed has happened to I, though me once thought me saw a ghost.
i know ive got my pronouns mixed up [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 11:00 AM   #22
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The drums in the deep thing happened to me too! It sounded really real! I so wanted to stand up and scream "Drums! Drums in the deep!", but i was in the middle of my German exam and they wouldve torn up my paper and given me a nought. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
It had stopped by the time we finished the paper, so i didnt get to yell it out [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 02:39 AM   #23
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

Here's one not really supernatural but cool

one of our teachers was letting her classes watch fotr extended edition in october(that doesnt matter really) and I hads my fake one ring from the lotr risk game(cuz im too cheap to buy a real one) and I was walking my her class and I reached into my pocket and touched by accident all of a sudden I heard Gandalfs Screaming the ash nazg thing in the movie in the room i was passing by i had kinds of drifted and I actually got scared for a minute
Old 07-26-2004, 11:44 AM   #24
Thorongil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thorongil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Thorongil
I had a gym teacher two years ago that looks almost exactly like the orc that tries to eat Merry & Pippin in TTT(except that he isn't green). And I was shocked when I walked around a corner and bumped into him. I really thought it was that orc. I almost jumped into the nearest bush!
Old 07-26-2004, 04:18 PM   #25
Roccotari Eldandil
Haunting Spirit

Roccotari Eldandil has just left Hobbiton.
One time I had a dream that Merry and Pippin stayed over for the night. In the morning we ate waffles, and being hobbits, they pigged out.
I've also come REALLY close to saying things in Elvish in my Spanish class. Like my teacher asked me for book (libro) and horse (caballo) and I very nearly said "parma" and "rocco." And I try to use Spanish words when I don't know the Elvish, and vice versa. I'm insane.
And I'm always scouting out locations to film the Silmarillion. Not that I ever will, but it's nice to have mental pictures for when I read.