The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-25-2004, 05:16 PM   #1
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Question An Odd Memory

I was just reading the section in the Sil about Mim and the Petty-Dwarves when something struck me as a little odd.

Why would the only place where the Petty-Dwarves were remembered be ancient tales in Nargothrond and Doriath?

It doesn't seem like the Elves hunting the Petty-Dwarves would have been important enough for them to compose tales celebrating the "Great Saga of the Hunting of the Petty-Dwarf."

I suppose that the Elves of Nargothrond might have a story about driving the Petty-Dwarves out of the place, but I get the impression that the Noegyth Nibin were not the type to put up much of a fight.

Was it just because the Elves were bored and they made up the stories because they lacked anything better to do, or is my thinking it strange completely off base?
Old 05-25-2004, 09:20 PM   #2
Fingolfin II
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Fingolfin II has just left Hobbiton.
I suppose they made stories about all living beings they knew about, since Elves are very curious and like to keep things documented. Maybe the Petty Dwarves only had connections to the Elves in Doriath and Nargothrond and the Elves still remember them distantly. I'm not too sure on this though.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:32 PM   #3
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
didn't the Doriath elves only hunt them? seeing how there were little noldorin tales of them...
Old 05-30-2004, 11:54 AM   #4
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
didn't the Doriath elves only hunt them?
That was kind of what I thought. But maybe the elves did make stories about them just because they were interested in everything.

Who knows. I still think it seems a little strange.