The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2003, 04:53 AM   #1
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting Seven Fathers of the Dwarves

Durin was the first Father to awake, and he was the head of the House of Longbeards. Is there any reference anywhere to the other Fathers and the names of their houses. I know all seven Folk were united in the war against the Orcs after the slaying of Thror, but what else do we know about the other six houses?
Old 01-16-2003, 05:17 AM   #2
Deathwail
Haunting Spirit

Deathwail has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

The Sil has some stuff on the Dwarves when they stole the Nauglarmir and murdered King Thingol.They talk of the Dwarves of Belegost and the Dwarves of Nogrod,there might of been more but i am not a big fan of Dwarves so i didnt commit much about them to memory. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-16-2003, 06:37 AM   #3
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

See Appendix A to LOTR, part iii, "Durin's Folk".

Bethberry
Old 01-16-2003, 07:03 AM   #4
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Yes, I've read that. But it doesn't give the names of the other six Houses or their fathers, so I wondered if it were mentioned in other writings.
Old 01-16-2003, 07:23 AM   #5
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

HoME 12: Of Dwarves and men.

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 01:27 PM   #6
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Can someone tell me- if seven dwarf FATHERS were made by Aule in the beginning, where did the women come from? Did Illuvatar decide to reward Aule's impudence at trying to create life even further by actually making dwarf-women?
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 01:40 PM   #7
Mahedros the tall

there were 4 male and 3 female dwarves that went togheter 2 and 2 except of durin who took a dauhgter of someone of these
Old 05-04-2006, 02:11 PM   #8
Elu Ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elu Ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elu Ancalime
I believe that there were 7 fathers, and they were seperate from the wives, except Durin who did not have a wife, but I heard once that the Longbeards was just a conglomeration of all six houses, but it is odd: How Durin could just wander on his own from Gundabad to Khazad-dum and have to wait for the other houses who were far the west and even farther to the east to catch up with him? I suppose by being "the Deathless" he sat outside the East Gate, or if it was the East Hole then, and just chill.

???
________
ALASKA MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES

Last edited by Elu Ancalime; 03-03-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Elu Ancalime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 06:09 AM   #9
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Mänwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Mänwe
Tolkien In aswer to your question,

The Seven Dwarven clans are the Longbeards (whose Father was Durin, who awoke at Mt. Gundabad), the Broadbeams and the Firebeards (who awoke somewhere in the Blue Mountains, probably at Mt. Dolmed), the Ironfists and Stiffbeards, whose fathers awoke together, and the Blacklocks and Stonefoots, whose fathers also awoke together. Durin is the only named father, although it is possible for Azaghal of Belegost to have been a Father as well, although rather a tenuous suggestion I admit.
- (Letter #124 To Sir Stanley Unwin)
Mänwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 02:38 PM   #10
A_Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

A_Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to A_Brandybuck Send a message via AIM to A_Brandybuck
About the Seven Fathers it is enough said, I think. But not for the female Dwarves. Of course there should be some female Dwarves from the beginning. Otherwise there wouldn't be a race of Dwarves.
But Tolkien wasn't sure how to include the female Dwarves, the spouses of the Seven Fathers. There were several different versions of it. (HoME XI, The War of the Jewels: Concerning the Dwarves) I will give a short overview over the versions:
  • Iluvatar himself added a mate to each Dwarf. But in same look as the male Dwarves, because he would not amend the work of Aule, who created only male forms.
  • Aule made at first One, the Eldest (Durin), than Six and than Six females, Then he rested and worked on the Seven Fathers. Then Iluvatar interrupted him.
  • Aule made One and the Six and Six Females. Then he wearied and laid the pairs together
  • Aule made Seven Male and buried them together with Seven Female as the Voice bade him.
  • Aule made Seven Male and buried them together with Six Female. The Eldest rest alone.

Tolkien couldn't decide, which version was the best, so he let the Females unmentioned.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:22 AM   #11
Raynor
Eagle of the Star

Raynor has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
it is possible for Azaghal of Belegost to have been a Father as well, although rather a tenuous suggestion I admit.
I agree it is unlikely; according to the Grey Annals, HoME XI, in 1250, (Years of the trees), the dwarves passed into Beleriand; at this point, they already had "ancient" homes "far off" into the east. About 722 years later, in 472 (Years of the sun) Azaghal is killed by Glaurung.
Raynor is offline   Reply With Quote