Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2006, 03:22 AM   #1001
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I had been imaging it was on the 4th level. I have no good reason.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:10 AM   #1002
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
I think I had been treating it that way also. The way I had treated it so far, Mellonin's parents lived on the sixth level (I count backwards-- the second-largest circle, towards the bottom.) And the Inn was on the fourth circle (which I was counting as the fourth largest circle from the bottom.)

I'm not sure the Inn was ever "placed" by the innkeeper. Let's leave it the way it is for now, unless something else surfaces.. So, fourth circle it is.

Post script: I'm hoping that my life might settle a little in the next week or so, enough to give me time to write..... but don't wait for me, folks. Let's wrap this book up as soon as we can.

ps2-- It also seems I must readjust my numbering, eh? Canonicity....

Last edited by mark12_30; 07-10-2006 at 05:13 AM.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:09 PM   #1003
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
I'll be going on a much looked forward to vacation tomorrow and will be staying close two weeks.

I will have internet access unless something severely unforseen arises...so I shall try to keep up.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:32 PM   #1004
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Alak, that is a very good post!

However, it faded toward the end. I hear Elessar saying that it's a strange tale, but I don't see his expression through Erebemlin's eyes. I as the reader really want to know how Elessar is reacting.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:50 PM   #1005
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Thanks, lmp, for the compliment and the suggestion. I will edit to show what Erebemlin sees immediately.

EDIT: Post edited. I must say that I like the edited bit better this way. Thanks again!

Last edited by alaklondewen; 07-11-2006 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:02 AM   #1006
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

I'm curious as to who is here to wrap up Book 1 and who is not.

I know mark is really busy; lmp has been poking around; Aylwen is back; Immy is on vacation; and Formy has been about.

I believe Nuru is gone for a few days more. What of Orual?

Are lives extremely busy at the moment? I know I'm not always able to post immediately when it's my turn, but is there anything I can do to push us along so we can wrap this up? I would like some help in doing it though.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:24 AM   #1007
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
If there's anything the ladies can do until they find out they're not going (which, unless I completely missed something, Bella still thinks she'll be leaving Minas Tirith in less than three days) let me know and I'll get a post up ASAP.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:11 PM   #1008
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Boots

What if those left at the inn begin talking about leaving and Bella mentions she's looking forward to it (or really anything that suggests she believes she is going) and one of the men tell her that she is in a safe place and shouldn't expect to go? Leafa too? Something along those lines could bring about some conflict and it would start the process of figuring out where the ladies will stay after the men go. Maybe they seek out Mellonin? Whatever you think.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:26 PM   #1009
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Hello, all!

I returned home yesterday evening, after a wonderful visit with some dear friends. I spent most of the day settling back into the home life, so I haven't been able to post until now. But here I am!
Old 07-15-2006, 06:33 PM   #1010
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaklondewen
I'm curious as to who is here to wrap up Book 1 and who is not.
If I'm next... or whenever I am next... just give me a good poke. As an intimidated newcomer to Gondor, I'm rather hesitant than otherwise...

For myself, the next few weeks are still good for me with regards to time. Until mid-August, if you need me- you've got me (and probably within 24 hours). After that, I'll be preparing for/going to college, and I have no idea how often I'll be on. It'll likely be mid-September before I figure out how the 'Downs will fit into life. So "the sooner, the better" as far as I'm concerned.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:10 PM   #1011
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Welcome back, Nuru! I hope you had a wonderful visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
If I'm next... or whenever I am next... just give me a good poke.
*gives that poke* Whenever you're ready to move our scene on with Elessar's decision and such, please do.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:26 PM   #1012
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Just by way of reminder to us all:

A. The Elves

1. Tharonwe
2. Erebemlin calls a meeting with the men of the company
3. a possible visit to Mellondu's home

B. The ladies

1. realization they're not going, if they still expect to leave with the men
2. plans for their lodging and possible trips home
3. Something happens overnight and they disappear

C. The men

1. meeting with Erebemlin; decisions about going
2. gathering supplies, food, etc for the next quest

'A.1.' is getting wrapped up, and I don't see myself posting into that except to write a paragraph or two about Tharonwe's thinking, which can be plopped in pretty much at random. After Tharonwe's imprisonment, it will be time for 'A.2.' (identical with 'C.1.') -- Erebemlin to call a meeting of the men, AFTER which they'll realize the ladies aren't going, right? In other words, we better not have the men telling them they're NOT going until the men realize it themselves, if you know what I mean....

After that, 'A.3.', 'B.1.&2.', and 'C.2.' occur simultaneously, followed at last by 'B.3.'

Does all that make sense?
Old 07-16-2006, 05:41 AM   #1013
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp
In other words, we better not have the men telling them they're NOT going until the men realize it themselves, if you know what I mean....
I disagree here. This is why. When we as writers had discussed that the ladies were not be leaving with the men, it was all about preserving the ladies' honor. I think that if the topic was brought up within the characters, that discussion could take place on their own without it being an "Erebemlin said so" sort of thing. He will of course not allow the ladies to leave with him, and I think he would not even consider the the women folk would want to leave when they were now in a safe place. I think the men would attempt to at least talk them out of it in the meantime. Does Ædegard want Leafa to go out again after all that has happened? Or even Liornung and Bella? How would it look for unmarried women to set out from the city with a group of men? These things could, and I think should, be discussed by the characters.

I believe that some of this can occur while the current scene is being wrapped up or extended as Elessar may wish to meet with Mellondu.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:10 AM   #1014
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Alrighty. I'll get a post up later today. As soon as possible.

Quote:
But here I am!
Yay!

-Aylwen

Edit...I wanted to make sure who exactly plans on going and staying...Ædegard plans on going but leaving Leafa behind? Liornung plans on going, I think...I know Bella thinks she's going. What about Nethwador? Probably plans on following Amroth/Mellondu, right? Just making sure...

Last edited by Aylwen Dreamsong; 07-16-2006 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:32 AM   #1015
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Okay. Post up.

If anything seems out of character/not what you wanted for Ædegard or Liornung, let me know. I'll change it. If there's anything else wrong with the post, let me know, etc. etc... the usual.

-Aylwen
Old 07-16-2006, 09:54 AM   #1016
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

White Tree

Aylwen, nice method of bringing in the propriety issue.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:00 PM   #1017
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
I disagree here. This is why. When we as writers had discussed that the ladies were not be leaving with the men, it was all about preserving the ladies' honor. .... I believe that some of this can occur while the current scene is being wrapped up or extended as Elessar may wish to meet with Mellondu.
So we could have the men discuss how things will go once they leave Minas Tirith again, and have them presume that the ladies would be left behind? Sounds good to me.

Ædegard has promised to go with Mellondu if Mellondu says the quest is not done. He would expect Leafa to remain behind. Raefindan is going, but is not quite in touch with the 'ladies' honor' issue, not being native to time and place.

Indeed..... 'what about Leafa?' I'll post up next.
Old 07-16-2006, 04:37 PM   #1018
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
I'm here, just waiting for the proper moment to bring Ravion back in!
Old 07-16-2006, 08:18 PM   #1019
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
*gives that poke* Whenever you're ready to move our scene on with Elessar's decision and such, please do.
Righto.

I shall do that immediately, while the desire to write is still hot. As always though, point it out for me if, when, or where I'm going offbase...
Old 07-17-2006, 07:24 PM   #1020
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Elessar's cameo

...I'm liking it. Nice work, folks!

... and Orual, I'm looking forward to Ravion's reappearance too!
Old 07-17-2006, 07:31 PM   #1021
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I just want to say, Formy, that that is one exquisite last line in your post, given to Elessar. Very like him to think of the human! I'd rep you but I gotta spread it around.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:40 PM   #1022
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp
I just want to say, Formy, that that is one exquisite last line in your post, given to Elessar.
I agree! Poor Erebemlin just doesn't get it. What's so special about humans anyway? Maybe he'll figure it out before the end. We shall see.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:57 AM   #1023
Formendacil
Dead Serious

After all the polishing the last post of mine needed (well... was improved with), it's very encouraging to see all the encouragement. So thank you all for your kind words.

On that particular note, I think I'd like Elessar to expound a touch more on the subject, during lunch, but it'll take me a day or three to think up how I want him to lead into it.

But poke me again if I leave it too long... I'm around pretty much every day (for the next while), so I've got no good excuses not to.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:51 AM   #1024
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Quote:
On that particular note, I think I'd like Elessar to expound a touch more on the subject, during lunch, but it'll take me a day or three to think up how I want him to lead into it.
I'm glad you said this as I was hoping Elessar would try pushing the issue again and attempt to pin Erebemlin down with an answer. It's one of the reasons I wanted them to have more time to speak.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:47 PM   #1025
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Raefindan has asked a question of those gathered around the table at the Seven Stars Inn. I think those that are with Raefindan and Ædegard are Bellyn, Leafa, Liornung, Ravion, and Aeron. Would some one of your characters please deign to answer Raefindan?
Old 07-24-2006, 03:01 PM   #1026
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Helen, that was intense. I would love to rep you for that, but alas, I had to spread it around. Well done!
Old 07-25-2006, 08:30 AM   #1027
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Thanks! (And thanks lmp & Aylwen...)

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Some not-so-random thoughts on Elessar, Arwen, Mandos, and Mellondu. I shall spew my thoughts in case the team feels they are adoptable/ adaptable. Please do not feel constrained thereby.

Were I Aragorn, once I had interviewed Erebemlin, Taitheneb, and maybe Tharonwe (or maybe not, as he has a cagey air) I would be more than a little desirous to speak with Amroth-- if indeed it be he. Imagine my delight in learning that Amroth (if indeed it be he) is dwelling in one of my subjects. Heh. I summon the lad to my Impressive Court.
What follows is not quite proper Sindarin-- I leave that up to the team. (And I wanted to watch lmp squirm.)

Strider: Mellondu, my lad, I'd really like to talk to Amroth, you know.

Mellondu: I'm not exactly comfortable with that.

Strider: I am your king, after all. And-- Arwen would like to meet him too.

Mellondu: Well, if you put it like that. Do I really have to?

Strider: Come on. For your country, and such. Please?

Mellondu: Okay. Even though I think he's a cad because of the way he treated my sister.

Strider: Yes, yes. Ready?

Mellondu: I suppose.

Mandos: Slap.

Arwen:

Strider: Eh?

Arwen: Maybe this isn't our best idea.

Strider: Why...?

Arwen: Lo, I fear we do trespass upon doomed ground, and stuff like that.

Strider: Try again.

Mandos: Slap.

Arwen: I'm out of here. Seriously, honey, this is a bad plan.

Strider: (in Sindarin of course) Well, rats darn, phooey and drat.

Mellondu: Another headache. Ouch.

Strider: So do we believe him or not?

Arwen: I'd really rather not go there.

Strider: And I thought this was going to be good stuff.

Arwen: I think we should leave well enough alone.

Strider: Doggone it! No quests, no armies pouring forth from the gates? Back to the administrative grind?

Arwen: Mmm-hmm.

Strider: Feh.

Last edited by mark12_30; 07-25-2006 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:35 AM   #1028
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I love it as is. Copy and paste, shall we?
Old 07-25-2006, 08:39 AM   #1029
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Why thankee. But I fear lmp would flmp.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:24 PM   #1030
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Well, I've posted into my Save...

I'm not altogether sure I like what I've written, but I'm still foggy with too much sleep, and I'm rather afraid that I can write no better at the moment. A large part of the delay was a complete lack of ideas on HOW to execute this.

Anyway, I'm sure you good people will direct me on ways to improve it, should the improvement be needed.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:00 PM   #1031
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

I like it. And when at a loss, brief is better. I think you did well.

Er, does that mean I'm next?
Old 07-25-2006, 02:03 PM   #1032
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

What a hoot, Helen! ..... so long as it's only on the discussion thread that way. Copy and paste, indeed, Fea! Bad girl. I think the gist of what would happen is just right.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:54 PM   #1033
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Helen, that's hilarious, but I think the overall makes a good scene and logical as the story goes too.

Now, I have some bad news and I'll need some help. I've been using a laptop that is not my own since my pc was fried in an electrical surge. I had been told I could use it until I was able to replace my hard drive at the end of August/beginning of September. Well, my lovely friend who let me use it has asked for it back. So as of tomorrow morning, I will not have a home computer until the above time when I can get one of my own.

Not all is lost, because I can write posts at home and type them up at work. However, I need to be able to email my posts to someone to post, as I'm pretty sure the company is not going to want me posting on Tolkien forums during working hours. I'll be able to check the thread, probably 2 or 3 times a week while I'm there as long as it doesn't appear extravagent. So...Is there anyone who trusts me with their email and would not mind posting for me?

I'm going to do my best to get what I need posted up tonight, but after that and until I get the new one, I'll need the help.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:19 PM   #1034
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Alak, check your pm's...

Looks like Mellondu is next, or at least soon. I need to get some sleep (great band practice tonight though) and plan on posting tomorrow, probably before noonish more or less. I hope.

Grace and peace. I'm off to serenade my pillow.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:59 PM   #1035
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

RL can be so doggone pushy at times. I'll shoot for tomorrow noon... I hope. In the meantime, y'all know the plot, so if you want to take a crack at (all or part) of the plan feel free..........
Old 07-28-2006, 08:30 PM   #1036
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

White Tree

OK, the four (Father, Mellondu, Erebemlin, Taitheneb) are back at the citadel knocking at the door.

I tried adding a few lines to the beginning of the previous post in order to provide a bit better bridge to alak's last post. Haven't heard from alak yet.

Awfully quiet out there.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:05 PM   #1037
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I just want to make sure before I jump the gun somehow. If I understand the plot correctly, the Men are supposed to leave, then the Women, and only then does Tharonwe escape from prison; right? Or is that wrong? Help?
Old 08-03-2006, 03:50 PM   #1038
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

If the women leave after the men, how would the men find out that the women went missing in the wild?
Old 08-03-2006, 06:59 PM   #1039
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Uh, yeah. Good point. Anyway, Tharonwe skips jail AFTER everybody else leaves, right?
Old 08-03-2006, 08:28 PM   #1040
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

...sounds familiar, yeah.

ps. I will be gone this next week, with no net. That will make alak's role difficult-- lmp, could you pick up the messenger bag for the week? Please?

ps. Id forgotten that Tharonwe had 'mined' Roy Edwards for useful concepts... nice touch.

Last edited by mark12_30; 08-03-2006 at 08:31 PM.