The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2004, 08:22 PM   #201
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Ah, very good we cross posted, or edited. Reepicheep is a rather large and courageous mouse, if memory serves me right. And Prince Caspian is well, Prince Caspian.
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 08:26 PM   #202
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Ealasaide has just left Hobbiton.
AHA! Busted... never read any C.S.Lewis, though I always intended to. Looks like a trip to the library may be in order! Lewis Carroll, though, and I'm golden! 'Tis always brillig at my house...

Hilde - Yup! That'd be the one. A Double Album: "This is the Moody Blues" I'm sure it's the same album because I heard yours and had to run out and buy one just like it... this was of course many moons ago, in a living room far, far away...
Ealasaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 08:34 PM   #203
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

And the borogoves are somewhat mimsy, what with that stuffed Bandersnatch over the doorway to the shed!

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 07-10-2004 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-11-2004, 05:07 PM   #204
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Ealasaide has just left Hobbiton.
Ooh.. yes! Bagged that Bandersnatch m'self, I did! My vorple blade went snicker-snack and we had a wonderful Bandersnatch stew for dinner.
Ealasaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 07:45 AM   #205
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Jubjub birds and wights--

Once upon a tulgy thread there was a frumious discussion about how the slithy downs had changed over the frabjous unfolding years. Can anyone remember the title/ whereabouts/ instigator/ wabe/ SOMETHING FINDABLE of that vorpal thread? I have searched and searched.

I though it was Child, but that was the before&afterTheMovies thread.

Last edited by mark12_30; 08-26-2004 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Calooh, Callay
mark12_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 12:37 PM   #206
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Please may I join?

I meet the entrance requirements ..... do I have to give the margins .... lol

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 12:42 PM   #207
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Hey, Mithalwen! I was hoping that you'd sign up. If you meet the requirements-- Eighteen years of Tolkien in your life-- then you are in, lady!

Incidentally, there are many who share your admiration for Faramir ( 30 years ago, I would have had to fight it out with my bestTolkien-buddy who had claimed him already, so I settled on Eomer at the time). I am now, however, a Frodo-addict, as are others on this thread. But we try not to swoon, except over Balrogs.

What's your favorite personal Middle-Earth / Tolkien-story?
Old 08-26-2004, 12:54 PM   #208
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I like book Frodo and radio frodo but not film frodo........

Well of course I like Faramir and Eowyn..... I like Eomer too, and I wish there was more about the house of Dol Amroth and Elrond and Celebrian......

I like the passion and psychology of Aldarion and Erendis and The Narn i hin Hurin is incredibly powerful.........

Other than that I am the standard elf-fancier .....

Old 08-26-2004, 01:00 PM   #209
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

"Standard elf-fancier"! Most amusing!

But by "favorite personal Middle-Earth / Tolkien-story" I mean what thing has ever happened to you that was Middle-Earth related? It can be funny, sad, profound, whatever.

For instance-- in my teens, I sewed a calf-length green cloak out of cotton (since discarded, unfortunately) and I wore it to school. No-- I mean, I wore it EVERYWHERE every day in school-- to all of my classes. i was the laughingstock of the school. But I was elvish, by golly.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:08 PM   #210
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Sorry ..... that gauntlet blow must have dazed me..... no stories as such .. I only wore my cloak in private..... and did try to read LOTR sitting in the only tree in the garden - and elderly apple singularly unlike a Mallorn.....

Old 08-26-2004, 02:25 PM   #211
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Er.... that thread regarding the evolution of the Downs-- clues anyone?
Old 08-26-2004, 03:39 PM   #212
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Sounds like it should be on the Barrow-Downs forum, Helen, but I don't recall enough about it to know which it could be...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 07:18 PM   #213
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Greetings, Mithalwen! I take it the reference to a gauntlet has to do with the Chapter-by-Chapter Thread.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:41 PM   #214
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde Bracegirdle
Greetings, Mithalwen! I take it the reference to a gauntlet has to do with the Chapter-by-Chapter Thread.
Indeed it does. I got us all in trouble with Esty with my silliness, for which I feel truly sorry. But as this thread is devoted to silliness (or senility). . .

Aragorn is way better than Faramir! Sure Faramir might not pick up the Ring if he saw it by the roadside, but I always thought that would be darned irresponsible of him:

"Hey! Look! The One Ring! Best leave that there. I hope somebody comes along and takes care of that thing before Sauron finds it. Gosh, it's getting late. I'd better get home before dad gets all angry with me for not defending the kingdom. I sure wish I were like Boromir -- he'd pick up that Ring, but that's OK cause he's my hero. . ."

What a dweeb.

(Hey -- Mithalwen called Aragorn a prig. My back is up. As is my ire.)
Old 08-26-2004, 08:17 PM   #215
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Dweeb...?

(once again, scratches head)

Mithalwen, just in case you want one, I think there's a gauntlet on the floor here somewhere... And I know where I can find a pair of pistols, I think. Where'd Bilbo the pony get off to now?

While you two are settling the details, I'm going to have a glass. Y ...And hasn't ANYbody remembered something parseable about that thread? (rummages around in dusty archives, spilling wine on documents)
Old 08-27-2004, 06:27 AM   #216
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Ah, I see I have some catching up to do on the Strider thread! I just hope that I don’t start talking to my screen as a result!

Helen, that wouldn’t be the Much Has Changed thread, would it? About how long ago do you remember seeing the elusive topic?
Old 08-27-2004, 08:09 AM   #217
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
What exactly do you guys in this club?
Old 08-27-2004, 08:56 AM   #218
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Maedhros-- so far, I haven't seen any rules. We're genteel enough here so that they don't seem needed. To misquote Esty:
Quote:
TCOA has no rules; TCOA needs no rules.
If posters get out of line, there's always a handy cane nearby. Now that you know, pull up a rocker. You don't know where the lost thread is, do you?

~~~~

Thanks, Hilde! But that wasn't it.

More data...?

Well, last spied:more than a month, less than a year?
Posters included Maril and Child and many others...
Essence of the thread was that the Downs used to be for scholars-- will we weather the movie/ teenybopper invasion? Will it still be a good place? what will change? What will we lose/ gain? I think it was a pretty old thread, that got resurrected around the release of each movie, more or less.

Now that the furor of RotK has calmed a bit, I wanted to bring it back up-- mostly to note that the new rating system seems to have had quite a positive effect on posting quality, and suchlike comments.

But-- drat if I can find it!
Old 08-27-2004, 09:22 AM   #219
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
Quote:
Well, last spied:more than a month, less than a year?
Posters included Maril and Child and many others...
Essence of the thread was that the Downs used to be for scholars-- will we weather the movie/ teenybopper invasion? Will it still be a good place? what will change? What will we lose/ gain? I think it was a pretty old thread, that got resurrected around the release of each movie, more or less.

Now that the furor of RotK has calmed a bit, I wanted to bring it back up-- mostly to note that the new rating system seems to have had quite a positive effect on posting quality, and suchlike comments.

But-- drat if I can find it!
Ok thanks for the info. But I'm afraid that I do not meet the requirements to join such club, I was just curious. I just wanted to know if you guys did something special that required to have 18 years or more to be done.
I have always thought that the important thing is what the poster/person had to say rather than how much time they have been reading the books. I think that I can stay my ground with any member of the club.

Again thanks for the info.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:01 AM   #220
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle
What a dweeb.

(Hey -- Mithalwen called Aragorn a prig. My back is up. As is my ire.)

Now I wish I had used my original chioce of vocabulary and not substituted a similar but milder word ....... Poltroon! You treat me with contumely.......and you have dissed the object of my affections...... Be afraid, be very afraid......

"But no living man am I! You look upon a woman...... You stand between me and my lord..... Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him."

Last edited by Mithalwen; 08-28-2004 at 11:07 AM. Reason: to include quote & correct spelling
Old 08-27-2004, 10:16 AM   #221
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Don't worry, Maédhros - this corner of the Downs is not limited by a secret password or set up for non-"family-friendly" activities! (And no, Mithalwen and Fordim, I will not condone duelling on the premises! Go out to the traditional grounds if you must. ) It was merely begun to give members of a certain age a place to share their often similar experiences, since many of us have been fans of the LotR books for decades. That does not lessen the knowledge or experience of younger members or those who have come to know and love the book more recently.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 08-27-2004, 10:48 AM   #222
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

The lost thread ...sound like an quest to me ......

Esty ... Fordim made the mistake of assuming (on Eru knows what grounds ...) that I was a gentleman ... I am not and so I guess that means we cannot settle the matter of honour "like gentlemen" (althought I quite like the idea of myself in appropriate costume, hair tied with the traditional black ribbon - eek - just as well HI is too young for this thread lol).

Faramir a dweeb? He has blood in his veins not iced water and he doesn't snivel that he can't make his mind up when things go pear-shaped ... bah ..... and he is man enough to cope with a real woman...

After that insult ... I think it may get a bit more low down and sneaky - and that gauntlet may have alternative uses.......

Mithalwen La Rabouilleuse

Old 08-27-2004, 10:57 AM   #223
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

( Glances uneasily at Mithalwen, then whispers: )

Careful, lass. Esty's cane packs quite a wallop, and her reach is long.

*resumes rocking while pouring another glass of wine, then returns to the library to shuffle more documents.*
Old 08-27-2004, 11:03 AM   #224
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Ah well, while I am old amongst the "children", I am at the younger end of the spectrum here and maybe sprightlier than most .......and she only forbad duelling on the premises......... and besides, I have one of those innocent faces ...no-one ever believes I could do anything bad.........

Old 08-27-2004, 11:21 AM   #225
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Quote:
I think that I can stay my ground with any member of the club.
Maédhros , it is comforting to know of a place where one can speak of Tolkien poetry on vinyl (and eggplants and emus, and SPI games), and people actually understand that you are not 'off your rocker'! And neither do they fall asleep you mention such things. At least I don't think they do....

Helen, it seems to me I do remember the thread in question, though I saw it in passing. Did all the threads get transfered over, other than movies?
Old 08-27-2004, 11:36 AM   #226
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 12_30
Dweeb...?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(once again, scratches head)
From the Oxford English Dictionary:

Quote:
dweeb, n. N. Amer. slang.

A person held in contempt, esp. one ridiculed as studious, puny, or unfashionable; a fool. Cf. NERD n.; FARAMIR n.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:38 AM   #227
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

I know your avatar is The Professor, Fordie. But now you are taking on airs.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:39 AM   #228
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Mark/Helen, I like your new avatar! It goes very well with the personal title.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:42 AM   #229
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

And I doubt the professor would have used slang from the colonies / former colonies.......

Old 08-27-2004, 11:44 AM   #230
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

And I would deem that she is scratching her head over the application of the word not its meaning.........

Old 08-27-2004, 11:53 AM   #231
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Oh dear, my pale attempt at humour has gone awry. Allow me to once again post the OED entry, with one thing highlighted for added emphasis:

Quote:
A person held in contempt, esp. one ridiculed as studious, puny, or unfashionable; a fool. Cf. NERD n.; FARAMIR n.
It was supposed to be utterly hilarious. . .

My apologies to the Professor for my presumption, to Helen for appearing as though I were lecturing, and to all for the putting on of airs (makes me sound like I'm a bald Yorkshireman -- get it? "Putting on 'airs" like in a wig? Like I said, pale attempts at humour).
Old 08-27-2004, 11:57 AM   #232
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

( scratches head again, scanning floor ) ...Where's that dratted gauntlet...?
Old 08-27-2004, 11:59 AM   #233
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Psst ....... *hands Helen the gauntlet* ...kept it safe...knew it would be useful......

Old 08-27-2004, 12:00 PM   #234
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

and if its pistols you want .... I could try to locate a Judas pair......

Old 08-27-2004, 12:08 PM   #235
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

White Tree

Eh, Fordim? What's that?

...An apology?

....oh.

(Hefts gauntlet, and-- once again-- scratches head. Signs, returns gauntlet to Mithalwen, and bends a leery eye on the man who called Captain Faramir a dweeb.)
Old 08-27-2004, 12:09 PM   #236
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

*whispers* he didn't actually apologise for calling him that .....

Old 08-31-2004, 07:02 AM   #237
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Okay. If at first you don't succeed....

Once there was a thread that worried about the changes in the Downs as time went on. Less book-emphasis, more movie-emphasis, too many Legolusters, lowering of overall post-quality, and loss of old scholarly members due to all of the above.

Can somebody remember the thread name, originator, or some searchable text contained within so that I can find the bloody thread?

Please?
Old 08-31-2004, 07:50 AM   #238
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Helen,

Was this the thread in the Barrowdowns forum where one of the older members got on and said that he was leaving because of the changes in the site? Then a discussion took place about whether what he was saying was "just"?

That is the only context I can place it in. Perhaps, skimming the thread titles on the BD forum for the last two years would dredge up what you want, as I can't remember anything more than that.

Or are you thinking of something totally different?
Old 08-31-2004, 07:55 AM   #239
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Nothing like replying to my own post!

Is this it? Click here.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:34 AM   #240
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Magnificent thread, Child!! Not quite the one I had in mind, but-- it may end up as the one I post on. Glad you linked it here so I can find it again!

It seemed to me there was another that both you and maril had posted on. Perhaps I am off my rocker. (Well, I am, it's five hours to the North.) But I seem to remember more discussions about the flood of new members due to the movies, and the skyrocketing of content-free posts, and whether the Downs would ever be as good as it was, and is it better only different... angsty alternated with hopeful depending on the poster. And some newbies had chimed in with I was a Leggybopper once, but that was six WHOLE months ago....

Guess I'll search on Leggybopper. (shudder)