User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2003, 10:02 PM   #41
excheeto
Animated Skeleton

excheeto has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"I know this seems a little sudden,seeing as we haven't met much"Belle said in a soft voice as she walked alongside Marigold,"but if you knew them at all,you would know how bossy they can be,if we do better than them,Frodo and Bilbo would be so proud of us,and for all I know,between what I know of Cami and Sam,well,I know at least Cami will take it over,but I don't care if she pulls every hair out of my head!I want to get the better of her and all of them somehow,don't you?"

Belle barely heard the reply.Glanceing at the horizon,she gasped and looked upwards at the reddening sky."It's getting late!"she replied suddenly,then glancing at the houses around her,one,which had proved to be Marigold's.She turned back and ran.Bilbo's would be a rough distance to hoof it,but she ran,hoping to make it before sunset,or worse,before she was late to dinner!

She soon saw Elanor walking with Frodo.She remembered what Bilbo had said,but how could she explain being on the road,alone,this late in the evening? In a sudden panic,she dove behind a large bush.She heard bits and pieces of the conversation as they walked by.She stayed in her place,gasping and wheezing until she had fully caught her breath.

Getting back on the road,she walked briskly,but carefully as the sun continued to sink lower and the whole sky changed to bright red with different shades of blue.

Finally getting to Bilbo's house in Bag End,she slowly turned the knob and peered around the door."Uncle Bilbo?is dinner ready?".

[ January 14, 2003: Message edited by: excheeto ]
Old 01-13-2003, 10:13 PM   #42
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sam walked home behind Marigold and Belle, deep in his own thoughts...thoughts about the party, thoughts about the oath, thoughts about the girls. He didn't hear a word that his sister or Belle said, but he watched them carefully--not so much out of his duty to walk them home, but simply out of their connection to his thoughts.

The whole business of the oath was bothering him a bit. He agreed with Cami that it was the only way to keep Marigold quiet, but she was his little sister, no matter how much he complained about her. He frowned and crossed his arms. What a fix! He didn't want Marigold to get too scared at the barrows, but he certainly didn't want her blabbing the whole plan to Frodo.

"The less I worry about it, the happier we'll all be," he muttered to himself, sighing. "Cami knows what she's doing, and she cares for Marigold just like I do--after all, a cousin's a cousin. But I do wish that Marigold had never overheard--those ears of hers combined with that mouth: what a sister!" He sighed again and went on with the girls.

[ January 13, 2003: Message edited by: Orual ]
Old 01-13-2003, 11:02 PM   #43
Deorlin
Animated Skeleton

Deorlin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Jasper slipped his slightly grimy hand over his face, pushing his long, greasy dark hair out of his eyes. It wasn't a gesture to actually clear his vision; the lank locks immediately fell back down into his face. It was just a knee jerk reaction - one he repeated hundreds of times a day. Just like the next - rubbing the back of his hand across his nose, and then down the side of his black coat. Fortunately, his nose wasn't actually running at the moment.

He entered the inn, sidling in through the door rather than walking in a straight forward manner. Although short in heighth, he still stooped slightly, hunched forward into his clothes, like some mangy vulture, his eyes shifting from side to side as if expecting a blow or a curse. True enough, when most respectable people saw this young man, they probably felt like delivering either one or both. But tonight, the patrons at the tavern were sparse, so there were no altercations as Jasper made his way to the bar. He cleared his throat in a gravelly cough, and called to the barkeep for a pint.

Waiting for his mug, he glanced around, scoping out the clientele - another old habit. It always paid to take note of those who might be 'susceptible' to some of his little . . . games. All the faces he spied though were all too familiar to this petty thief, except . . . was that a hobbit over there? Didn't get too many of those in here! Perhaps this little one would be intrigued with a game of 'chance'?

Just then the hobbit, as if reading Jasper's thoughts, looked up from the seemingly huge pint pot in front of him. He stared intently at Jasper, taking in his appearance in an appraising glance.

"Yeah, and is there somethin' I can do fer you, little one?" Jasper sneered, putting particular emphasis on the 'little'. Best to put these outsiders in their place right off the bat.

The hobbit, quietly, but without undue nervousness, asked "Are you by any chance a friend . . . er . . . acquaintance of Evelina?"

"Who's askin' and why for?" Jasper replied in the most superior tone he could muster.

"I have a message here; she said you and another might be shortly coming in here." The hobbit extended his hand and revealed the note. Jasper's hand went out from his long coat sleeve like the head of a snake and snatched the paper from the hobbit, who drew back as if indeed he might be bitten. Knowing full well there would be no tip here, indeed he would be lucky to escape a cuff to the ear, the hobbit retreated with his pint quickly to a table in the far corner, to await the other.

Jasper opened the paper and perused the contents. A job - and with Evelina! Good. he could do with a bit of excitement. Things were getting mighty dull around Bree. He'd never really been in the Shire; those little ones looked easy pickings enough. But at heart, Jasper was really quite the coward, and even the thought of facing down an enraged hobbit farmer with a pitchfork didn't suit his fancy too well. He much preferred the easy jobs carried out under the cloak of darkness, with the knife in his boot and the club at his back for added security. Evelina's note said little enough what the job was to be - she always was a close one. Still, always wise to be careful of what one put in writing.

Well, if he was to make the midnight rendezvous, he'd better get moving. Shoving the note in his pocket, Jasper slid from the stool and made his way crab-like back out into the night.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:47 PM   #44
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Lobelia jumped straight up about two feet in the air, which was a remarkable feat for a small hobbit. She looked back in fright, automatically grabbing onto the fireplace poker to fight off her assailant if such defense would prove necessary.

The hobbit's jaw dropped open, at the sight of the tall woman towering over her, dressed entirely in black and with a look on her face that could have turned the heart of even one of the big folk to stone. She tried to still the trembling of her knees, as the poker slipped out of her hand and clattered to the floor, but with little success. Finally, she managed to stutter out a question, "You're Evelina? B-b-but you weren't supposed to come till tomorrow night!"

The dark woman turned to face her with a grim expression on her face, "Take it or leave it. I'm here now, and will be glad to depart if you have no use of me. Or spell out what you want done, and how much gold you will pay me for the task."

Lobelia was beginning to wonder if she'd made a serious mistake in judgment. This fierce, determined woman looked nothing like she'd imagined. She had expected a more urbane and witty type, perhaps someone employed in a firm of solicitors who undertook the defence of various nefarious business dealings This particular lady appeared more likely to be a common thief and crook. Still, she'd certainly do a good job scaring Bilbo's friends. Of that, there seemed no doubt.

"No, please," Lobelia tried to still the pounding of her heart. "Do sit down. How rude of me." She pointed towards a large easy chair. "I will explain to you what I need."

So Loblia spelled out the tale of the travelling band of hobbits, and how she wished to have them taught a lesson. "But only a good scare, mind you. And a bit of roughing up. Enough to turn them back from their journey."

When she was finished with her explanation, she held out a small spindly bag with just a few gold coins in it, which were to be offered as recompense for Evelina's efforts.

[ January 14, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-14-2003, 01:28 AM   #45
Eruantalon
Wight

Eruantalon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eruantalon
Sting

Now it was starting to get late.He and Biffo where walking down the street with the rest of the company.Every one had something to say to one another.He heard bits and pieces of everyones conversation.But still not enough to get a good idea of what was going on.

"Well now this is not the proper way to plan a party,now is it?We would do better to all sit down and talk one at a time,wouldn't we?"
He said to biffow,who nodded in agreement.

They kept walking down the street.Not getting much of anything done.But as can often happen,with a group of Hobbits.So the two listened,and asked qustions that either where not heard,or did't want to be answered.But that was alright.You just can't interupt a conversation,and expect to get some ones full attention.

Just then Prim was telling every one to go home.It was getting late,so they should all go off to there dinners.So everyone made there way off.Still there was so much to talk about.Ah thats the way we can get this all sorted out.

"Well Biffo!I have made a plan that might help this situation.Would you care to join me?I promise for hard work earned,we'll both be at the Green Dragon on me!"Biffo's eyes perked up at the mention of the Green Dragon.

But for now there was no food.Only a good hurry to Olo's house,then the post office.Olo would help to get talk started with every one,if it was the last thing he did.But he couldn't remember any ones favorite foods,and any ones favorite drinks.Well he would have to run to the market,and pick up a littel of everything.

So the prepations where made.He eat at the Green Dragon.At home he would probaly eat agian.This still did't stop him.He packed away the scones,biscutes,cake,and fruit tarts till there was't much room left.Drinking his favorite drink,tea with milk.

After his second dinner that night Olo found himself nodding off in his chair. Ooh now, better get to bed soon. Just a pipe before bed,though.He now took out his short pipe.It was finely crafted ivory. Nothing too special.It was given to him by his grandfather.So it always came in handy for a smoke.It fit in his pocket, so he had it any time he needed it.

So many things to get started tomorrow. Those letters where sent off in such a hurry after the meeting with Bilbo.At least Biffo was there to help. But knowing the post office they probably would get there late, even though he had paid extra to get them there tomorrow morning.

Biffo was always good company with a "Hullo Uncle Olo! And a yes Uncle Olo!"

They had a good time at the Green Dragon after the errond was done. But they didn't talk a bit about the meeting. Just gossip of the Shire. Now his pipe was almost done. He had been worrying too much. Worry this and worry that. When your done you'll set your pipe on your head,and smoke your hat.He thought to himself, now chuckling. Well, it's to a change of clothes,and then off to bed with me.

He did so and made his way to his bedroom, where Maggie,his wife, was already asleep. He blew out the candle, and went to bed.

[ January 15, 2003: Message edited by: Eruantalon ]
Old 01-14-2003, 11:37 AM   #46
Barodir
Animated Skeleton

Barodir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Bandolin entered the pub. He wa there for an ale, nothing more. He also heard Evilina and Jasper were in the area.

Bandolin was chugging ale when a small halfling came to him with a letter. "Ay, what's this?!" he shouted, being as rude as he always is.

"Uh...well..." the hobbit stammered, for his fear of the man was growing.

-"WELL?!" the man demanded.

~"Are you by any chance a friend . . . er . . . acquaintance of Evelina?"

-"Ay, I am. Whatcha got wanting to know that?"

"I have... a message... here!" The hobbit shoved the note into Bandolin's hand and took off to his ale and hid under his coat.

Bandolin read it and a smirk ran across his sly, evil face. "A job, eh? Not too bad. And probably good pay! I'll take it!"

Bandolin gathered his things, a sword, 2 knives, and a pipe (which was put into his mouth), and left the pub for the Shire, where money was a-waiting!

[ January 14, 2003: Message edited by: Barodir ]
Old 01-14-2003, 11:39 AM   #47
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Prim opened her mouth to speak, but then she stopped and looked up at the night sky with a little frown on her face. "It's late," she said. "We can't walk along these dark roads discussing things. If anything would draw suspicion, that would."

Primrose stopped walking an turned to face the hobbits behind her. "Go on home, have supper, and go to bed," she said. "Tomorrow we'll find some way to meet up."

As soon as everyone was walking home, Prim began to do the same thing. She came to the cosy little hobbit hole where she lived along with her mother, father, and brother, and pushed open the door. "I'm home!" she called.

"Have some supper," her mother called back. Primrose grinned and went into the dining room.

"Where were you so long?" her older brother asked. "Mum and Dad were getting worried about you when it got dark and you still weren't back."

"I was at Bag End," said Prim, beginning to eat. "But I can't tell you why, or Bilbo would be rather upset."

"Oh?" her mother said, sitting down. "Well, as long as you don't go running off anywhere without our permission."

"I'm not that young," said Prim. "And I will be running off, but I'll ask your permission first. And, father, I'm going to borrow the cart, all right? I'm going to be leaving in one or two days time."

"Where will you be going?" her father asked.

"Just to the neighboring hobbit towns. Uncle Bilbo wanted us to."

"Us?"

"He got some of his relatives," said Prim, and then finished eating. "I'm going to sleep now. I have to be up early tomorrow."

Her mother told her she didn't have to do the dishes, so Primrose walked down the hallway to her lonely room. Sometimes she wanted to have a sister so someone would be in the room with her, but tonight she was glad she'd be alone for as long as the night lasted. Curling up pulling her covers over her head, she was soon in a deep and restful sleep.
Old 01-14-2003, 02:18 PM   #48
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Silmaril

It was just after supper at the Bracegirdle home, and the eldest daughter, Melilot, was sweeping. She hummed cheerfully as she did, but her humming slowly quieted into silence. Something was growing on her mind; something she had forgotten, maybe?

"Bother," she muttered, "I wonder what it is. Nothing important, I hope! No, I'm sure it wasn't, or I'd've surely remembered it."

She put the broom up and sat down, thinking hard. What was it now? What could it have been? She recalled the last few days in her mind, trying to see if anything rang a bell. She had spent the morning with Camellia Boffin, flirted with Anson Gamwich, had lunch with Primrose--

Oh, no!

Primrose! Primrose had reminded her about the meeting that Bilbo had called, the one that was to be held tonight!

Melilot sprinted down the road. "Confound it all! Me and my memory--I knew that I'd mess it up! Oh, you numbskull..." she panted, among other (occasionally stronger) berations. Her curly black hair flew out behind her, and she hiked up her green dress to keep from tripping. Her face was rosier than usual with exertion; she wasn't used to running so fast or so much. A few elderly hobbits looked out their windows at her: a strange sight, a young hobbit lass racing down the lane spitting names at herself.

How could Melilot have forgotten the meeting, despite Primrose reminding her time after time after time? She had laughed Prim off, saying something always along the lines of "Oh, Prim, do relax! I've not the best memory in all the Shire, but I won't forget this. It's too important. Anything for Mr. Bilbo!"

Anything for Mr. Bilbo, she thought bitterly, except the one thing he asked of me!

She finally reached Bag End, only to find no signs of a congregation. "Fiddlesticks!" she cried, stamping her feet in frustration. "Oh, Mr. Bilbo will be furious. How could I have forgotten?"

She walked glumly home, biting back tears of anger. What a ninny she was, to forget something like this! What was she to do now? Surely it had been important, and now she didn't know what was going on. Melilot always knew what was going on. Always. "I'll have to ask Prim when next I see her," she sighed, and continued down the road home.

[ January 14, 2003: Message edited by: Orual ]
Old 01-14-2003, 02:59 PM   #49
theWhiteLady
Wight

theWhiteLady has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Evelina sat down in the comfortable chair Lobelia had motioned towards, but she was careful to turn the seat so that the door was visible from around the high back. She leaned forward and listened carefully as Lobelia talked of the hobbit party and the travelling band. When the hobbit lady cautioned, "Only a good scare, mind you." Evelina could not help laughing inside, her dark eyes dancing with cold mirth, but no other sign of laughter was visible on her face as she nodded sagely. Lobelia finally finished outlining her plans and ended by offering a small bag with only a very few gold coins clinking inside. Evelina raised one slim eyebrow mockingly.

"Of course, I will be hiring a couple of my friends to help in this venture. We will all require sufficient payment, and this," she motioned with open disgust at the offered purse, "I consider a serious insult." Evelina's lip curled as she stood, once more towering over the hobbit. "I will be leaving until you reconsider the offer, and I suggest you do so quickly." And with that she turned to leave.

Lobelia's eyes widened and she began to feel quite desperate. "Wait!" she cried. Evelina turned and, sillouetted against the dark hall, looked twice as tall and threatening. Lobelia searched her pockets and dropped at least a dozen more coins into the sack and added breathlessly, "I can promise twice as much afterwards if the job is done properly." Though frightened, she was still a shrewd business woman. Evelina considered her carefully for a moment, weighing her up, and finally allowed her face to relax into an almost friendly smile. "Done" She tucked the pouch into her blouse and shook Lobelia's hand before striding out as quietly as she came. Lobelia collapsed into the chair Evelina had previously occupied, hoping that Evelina wouldn't do the job toowell.

Outside, the dark figure who was the lady Bandit walked through the trees until she reached a small clearing, shrouded from view by the thick foliage. She sat down in the shadows to await the coming of her friends.
Old 01-14-2003, 03:15 PM   #50
Sindae
Haunting Spirit

Sindae has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Crystal thought about an explanation why she would be away from home if Frodo came to see her. On a visit to her grand-parents in Buckland? (her family was spread all over
the Shire) Or in Bree, where some other relatives lived she had not seen for some years? Both were good reasons not to be at home.

But would she need an excuse? Frodo would hardly want to see her at all-he didn't know her in person, all he knew was that she lived not far away from Bad-End and was about 20 years old. That was all, so why should he come?

Suddenly her mother called from downstairs. "Crystal, there are some visitors for you!" She heard some talk at the door and then "They want you to come down and have a walk with them"

"I'm coming, Mum" Crystal answered and ran downstairs. On the doorstep were a couple of hobbits. Some she knew, like Pearl or Primrose whom she had often seen walking through Hobbiton. The others she knew by sight and name, but had never really spoken to them.

Before Crystal could say anything, Pearl opened her mouth and asked her to join them for a walk.

"Well why not?" she answered, wondering about the reason.She guessed that it would have something to do with the party, so she followed the others.

[ January 16, 2003: Message edited by: Sindae ]
Old 01-14-2003, 03:24 PM   #51
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Several hours later, the dishes had all been cleared, washed, and put away, and Frodo and Elanor were walking back up to Bag End. She didn't want the evening to end, because she always had enjoyed spending time with Frodo, but at the same time, she needed to get to the cemetery to meet with the other hobbit children.

He commented off-handedly on how it seemed that Bilbo was trying to get him out of the way, and that he found it curious.

"Oh!" Elanor exclaimed, immediately alarmed. He couldn't have caught on to anything, could he have? She wondered, reviewing in her head everything she'd said that night. "Oh, well, you know he's been busy recently."

At last they came to the round green door, and Frodo smiled at her, and thanked her for inviting him to dinner. She smiled back, and once they had said goodnight and he'd gone inside, she fairly ran down to the cemetery, hoping against hope that she hadn't missed anything.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:16 PM   #52
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Supper was over at Cami's house. She helped her mother pick up dishes, while her father sat by the light of the blazing hearth as he leaned back to relax, sending lazy smoke rings in the air.
Her parents were chatting back and forth about the young brood of ducks, and a new field that needed harvesting, and a myriad of other details that make up the daily routine of a farmer in the Shire.

Finally finished with her duties and having a precious moment to spend on herself, Cami lay back in front of the open fire, squinting at the pages in a book of tales that Bilbo had lent her that afternoon.

"Cami Goodchild!" Her father leaned over and poked her in the ribs. "There's not enough light in here to read. Put that away now, or you'll end up going blind."

Cami groaned, but she knew better than to argue with her father when he spoke with such authority. She set aside the book, and, thoroughly bored with the way the evening was progressing, began using her fingertips to launch small drops of water from her drinking glass in the general direction of the fireplace. She watched with some interest as the flames hissed and spluttered, turning from red to yellow to blue, and small wisps of smoke began to rise.

"Cami, what are you doing?"

"I dunno," she responded to her mother, secretly wondering why the sprigs of flame changed color when the water hit them.

"Cami, you're twelve-years old. You should be working on something practical. Have you finished the sewing I gave you?"

Cami ran over and got her small box sampler with its lines of very wobbly stiches. Her mother held it up to the light, and shook her head in dismay. "This won't do."

Mistress Goodchild took out a needle and began ripping the last line out stitch by stitch, and then gave it back to Cami. Cami obediently continued sewing for another hour, and produced a second line of stitching that looked quite similar to the first. Then she hid the sampler under the flower pot, hoping that her mother wouldn't find it there.

Just as the fire burned lower, her father stood up from his chair and yawned, "Well, I'm off to the barn now. I'm not sure when Molly will have her foal. The birthing could be tonight, so I'd best sleep there." Molly was the one and only pony that was used to pull the family wagon.

Seeng her one clear chance to escape the house, Cami could not stay silent. "Oh, Da," she ran up to her father and threw her arms about his neck. "Let me do that. You know I love sleeping in the hay, and I'll wake you up whenever Molly gets restless. I promise."

Her father agreed, and Cami trooped down to the barn, armed with a blanket and a small lantern, which she was careful to set on the bare floor far away from the hay and anything else that could easily catch fire. She sat up waiting for several hours, cast a final glimpse at Molly who seemed to be sleeping soundly, and then slipped out of the barn to run across the fields in the direction of the flower-covered earthen mounds just north of Hobbiton, where the hobbits from past ages lay sleeping in the ground.
Old 01-14-2003, 07:43 PM   #53
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

'Marigold' A voice whispered in Marigold's ear 'Wake up! Its time to go' It was Sam. 'Okay' she whispered back, groaning a little. She pulled the covers of her bed and she was already dressed in her normal clothes.

Sam and Marigold had planned this earlier on so that they wouldn't get caught. After everyone was asleep, he would wake her up when it was time and they would sneak out of her bedroom window.

As quickly as she could she pulled herself out of the window and landed with a thump on the grass outside. She rolled over and waited for Sam to follow and then they were of, running as fast and as quietly as they could towards the cemetary.

[ January 14, 2003: Message edited by: Beruthiel ]
Old 01-14-2003, 08:12 PM   #54
Merri
Wight

Elanor bumped into a dark shape on her way down the road, and only barely managed to keep herself from crying out loud in alarm.

"Sam!" She whispered. "It's Elanor- I had the worst time getting rid of Frodo."

The worst time . . . this was a downright lie. It wasn't the worst time, she just didn't want to get rid of him. Well, Elanor Greenthumb, it's time for you to get down to business.

"You don't think we could have chosen a little more cheerful place to gather than the cemetery?" She wondered aloud. Deep in her heart she still feared the cemetery. She recalled one day when she was a wee hobbit child, she had asked so many questions that her brothers had tried to get rid of her by leaving her in the cemetery after dark. Apparently, they had hoped that some ghosts would come and carry her away with them. All that they had accomplished was establishing a deep fear in Elanor of all graveyards.

A breeze gently touched her face. She hugged herself, hoping that nobody would be able to tell how frightened she was. Nonsense, Elanor! You're doing this for Frodo, and didn't you promise Uncle Bilbo once, long ago, that you'd do anything to make Frodo happy? She reminded herself, and stood straighter.

[ January 14, 2003: Message edited by: Merri ]
Old 01-14-2003, 09:01 PM   #55
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

Sam shielded a small candle with his hand as he made his way down the hall to Marigold's bedroom. He looked nervously toward his parents' room, worried sick that at any moment they'd wake up and he and Marigold would be found out, punished, and sent to bed. Then Marigold would get out of the oath and tell everyone, and Cami, Belle, and Elanor would be furious for getting out of bed and into the barrows for no purpose. And for the rest of his life, Sam would hear about it.

"Marigold," he whispered, pushing her gently. "Marigold! Wake up, it's time to go."

"Okay," she said with a little groan, and rolled out of bed. He waited for her, then blew out the candle, watched Marigold climb out of the window and then followed her.

"Hurry, or we'll be late," Sam whispered, taking his sister by the hand and breaking into a run once they were sufficiently far from their home.

"North," he murmured to himself, turning slightly. "Not much farther," he assured Marigold, watching her stifle a yawn.

Finally, the barrows came into sight. The mounds rose ominously before them, much more ominous in the dead of night (Sam scolded himself for his choice of words) than it was in the day. But whether or not Sam liked it, they had arrived.

On the road right outside of the barrows, Sam stopped, motioning to Marigold to wait. "We'll see Cami and them better if we wait here," he lied, not wanting to tell his little sister that he just didn't want to go in to the barrows alone, without any other children his age. He crouched down, keeping a keen eye on the road.

"Ooh!" he grunted as somebody tripped over him.

Quote:
"Sam!...It's Elanor- I had the worst time getting rid of Frodo."
Sam stood up and nodded, dusting himself off. "I understand," he said quietly, looking down the road again. It was awfully dark...no, he wouldn't think about that. Elanor was here now, and they could talk, keep his mind off of the barrows. He gestured for Marigold to stand up and come by him--he didn't like the barrows, and he was sure that his sister didn't either. One look at Elanor's face told him that the feeling was unanimous. "Did Frodo ask a lot of questions?" he inquired, to take both of their minds off of their surroundings.

[ January 14, 2003: Message edited by: Orual ]
Old 01-14-2003, 10:07 PM   #56
excheeto
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Belle looked in,but instead of seeing Bilbo,she saw the dark,curly hair of Frodo inside."Hi Frodo,I've been over at Elanor's house all day,I really need to go to bed,see you in the morning!"she hoped he didn't notice the tightness in her throat and the way her voice squeaked.

Ignoring her stomach,she hurried to the guest room,shutting the door behind her.She crept towards the wall facing the living room and placed her ear against it.Her fingers twitched and her skin was all itching as she still listened,waiting to hear what Frodo was up to,but he seemed to be quiet,or possibly asleep.

The sky was dark now,with the moon hanging low in the sky.Belle buried an extra pillow under the blankets,then grabbed her Maggie-doll(she was very proud of her,she had a pretty purple dress with flowers and white lace,and real hobbit hair that matched her own)fluffing the pillows and turning the head until it looked like she was asleep.

*CREAK*the window took a little effort to budge open,and she gave a quick glance behind her back to make sure no one was up to check the noise.When she felt reassured,she crawled outside,closing the window behind her.

The moon lit up the ground.She looked towards the barrows and sighed."I hope mother's right"she whispered before running off.
Old 01-14-2003, 11:03 PM   #57
Deorlin
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Jasper quickened his pace, making for the clearing indicated in Evelina's short note. He was none too sure of the way; her directions had been sparing, to say the least. But it seemed to be but a short distance from the main road, so he trusted that five or so minutes would bring him to her. The moon shone fitfully through the clouds that scudded across the night sky. A night bird called mournfully, making Jasper jump. Then he laughed out loud, a high pitched, horse whinny of a sound, ending in a snort. Why should he be on edge? These lands were inhabited by hobbits - hobbits! And everyone knew they were soft, easy going folk, who had naught but a few constable types, and those not even professionals, scattered throughout their little realm.

"No fear there!" he chuckled to himself. The sound of his own voice comforted him mightily. Just a few more paces and he should be at the clearing Evelina had written of.

Sure enough, the trees, which weren't thick enough to be a wood even, were thinning out and then he saw, as a cloud cleared the half moon, there stood the small clearing, a fantasy land of light and shodow. He stopped and cautiously looked about for signs of the woman, or the other acquaitance that might be expected - Bandolin. Jasper crouched low to the ground, wanting to see before being seen. He scanned the clearing, but to no avail - it was empty.

"So, you've made it I see!" Evelina's voice as it hissed in his ear made him nearly jump out of his skin! Where had she come from? He was sure she had not been there a moment before!

"A little jumpy, aren't we?" she whispered tauntingly. "What, afraid of the little halflings? Well, in fact, they can be mighty cruel when they wish. But don't worry. Stick with me and we'll see just how jumpy we can make them!"

"Evelina, what's all this about anyways? Yer note was awful short. Is there money to be had or not?" Jasper tried to cover his nervousness with a show of irritation.

"Patience, my frined. Patience. Bandolin will be here shortly, I hope. Then I will explain it to you both. As many times as it takes for you to understand." She laughed derisively and sat back, calmly surveying the night.

Evelina was always like that, Jasper fumed to himself! She acted so . . . superior! Well, perhaps one of these days, she'd find out who really had the upper hand here. But for now . . . well, best wait and see what she had up her sleeve.
Old 01-15-2003, 12:07 AM   #58
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Exactly at midnight, five young hobbits gathered at the foot of the Hobbiton barrows. Here there were two great earthen mounds, covered with a profusion of flowers standing less than a mile north of the village. To the distant south lay farms and families, and even a tiny hint of light. But, in all other directions, no matter how hard they peered, the children could sense only tangled groves of trees pressing in and an eerie feeling of blackness.

It was a desolate spot, or so Cami felt. They could all hear the hoot owls and other small prowling creatures that were making their twisted paths through the woods whether on foot or wing. A crescent moon stood high in the sky, but even it was obscured by clouds, so that it was hard for one child to make out the features of another who was standing only a foot away.

Cami was beginning to wonder if this idea of hers had really been so wise. Still, she wasn't about to let the others know that. She cleared her throat, and spoke in as commanding a voice as she could muster, "Marigold Gamgee step forward. Here in the presence of your sacred ancestors, the Gamgees of old, you must take a sacred vow never to reveal what we tell to you tonight."

Cami hesitated for a moment. She had initially planned to offer a long and graphic list of terrible things that would happen to Marigold if she broke her vow. But, somehow, as they all stood quaking on the barrow, she didn't have the heart to go into all that.

Cami could be bossy, but she was not a mean child. She herself had been bullied enough by others, that she knew the difference between right and wrong. She didn't want to terrify the younger girl, only to make sure that she didn't open her mouth and ruin the party for Frodo and Bilbo, and get them all in trouble.

She continued in a gentler voice, "Marigold, if you keep your promise of secrecy, then nothing bad is going to happen to you. But, if you don't, then your own kin will rise out of this mound, and I wouldn't want to see what would happen then...." Cami's voice trailed off, leaving everyone to fill in visually whatever punishment they thought best.

"Anyways, I know you like Frodo a lot, and if you blab he's going to be mad at you. And he'll never trust you again as a friend. And I don't think you want that to happen." She stared intently at the girl. "Now go ahead and say your vow. Sam, if you want, you can have her repeat after you."

[ January 15, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-15-2003, 07:45 AM   #59
Merri
Wight

Sting

"Did Frodo ask a lot of questions?" Sam's question hung unanswered in the air. Cami barely gave them time to get their breath back before they began the oath ceremony-thingy.

"I'll explain later," Elanor whispered in his ear.

The ceremony began, and she wrapped her shawl tightly around her. It wasn't chilly at all that night. Nevertheless, it seemed that the shawl gave her some protection from the barrows, however minimal. And she wanted all the protection she could get. She shrank back, a little closer to Sam, gazing fearfully around her. She wasn't normally this frightened, but being in the Barrows at night was the most frightening thing possible in her imagination.

In the dark, it seemed as if the trees around them were bending in close to listen to what they said, and she caught sight of dark shapes flitting around the barrows. She gasped softly, afraid that the wights would hear her, and wishing more than anything else in the world that she could be home in front of the merry fire. Thank heavens the barrows are the only thing I'm afraid of! Elanor thought, with some pride.

[ January 15, 2003: Message edited by: Merri ]
Old 01-15-2003, 02:35 PM   #60
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

Quote:
"I'll explain later."
Sam nodded. Cami was about to begin the ceremony, and this was no time for chatting. Everyone was here now, and it was almost time.

There wasn't much wind, but what little there was seemed to rustle in the trees an unusual amount. Sam shivered a little and drew his light jacket around him. He should be in bed, not out in the barrows like this, waiting for his little sister to take an oath of secrecy on the bones of their ancestors. The dismal mood took its toll on everyone, and even Cami seemed unsure as she spoke to Marigold.

Quote:
"Sam, if you want, you can have her repeat after you."
Sam startled a little bit, then nodded and went up to Marigold. He tried to think up something to say, and after a moment's pause, he thought of at least a beginning. Taking a deep breath and trying to look brave, he said, "Marigold, repeat after me." His sister nodded. "I, Marigold Gamgee..."

"I, Marigold Gamgee..."

"...do solemnly swear before my ancestors never to tell anybody a word of what I will hear. If I do, I accept whatever may come as punishment." Sam said it haltingly, trying to find sufficiently formal words for the oath. Marigold repeated it gravely. "I take this oath before my ancestors and everyone present, and they will hold me to it." Marigold finished, and Sam breathed again.

[ January 15, 2003: Message edited by: Orual ]
Old 01-15-2003, 04:11 PM   #61
Barodir
Animated Skeleton

Barodir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Bandolin was taking his time in geting the clearing indicated in Evelina's short note. He wasn't too sure which way to go, for her directions were bland. But it seemed to be close to the road, so he decided not to rush, for he'd be there soon.

"What a place to meet. A land of halflings. But that's not my concern. What I wonder is what Evelina wants, and how much money I can get if it's a decent job. Now where is that woman?"

A little while later, Bandolin came to a clearing. "Ay, Evelina! I know your here! Now where are ya?!"

"So, you've made it I see!" Evelina's hissed.

-"Ay, I have. Now whatcha want, woman?"

"Yeah, Evelina, what's all this about anyways?" Jasper interjected, coming out from the shadows. "Yer note was awful short. Is there money to be had or not?"

"Yeah, why are we here? And what's the pay" Bandolin asked, a greedy glint in his eye.

Evelina answered "Alright, here's the plan..."

[ January 15, 2003: Message edited by: Barodir ]
Old 01-15-2003, 04:48 PM   #62
excheeto
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Belle soon saw the others ahead and ran to catch up with them.The barrows could be seen ahead of them,and it seemed as if they were walking towards them,ready to walk on the hobbits and not the other way around.

Belle was too anxious to even greet the others.She knew they were there,but they wern't much comfort.

She stood by Cami as Sam told Marigold the oath.Her eyes watered and she wanted to close them tightly.She knew they wouldn't see her if she did,but there seemed to be something too important in the ritual,she couldn't miss this,she secretly swore she would never tell anyone about this,not anyone!
Old 01-15-2003, 06:12 PM   #63
Pipperin
Animated Skeleton

Pipperin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Annabell had left Bag-end quite happy to be helping out, but now that she had thought about it, she was a bit nervous. She did not know any of the hobbits very well, though most were relitaves, she had never really gotten to know many of them.

Why had she even been asked to join? Well it wasn't too hard, she had liked Frodo for a long time.

She sighed and sat down at the table in her kitchen, finishing off the bread. She was worried about the bandits too, though most said it was a stupid rumour. There is always a bit of truth to a rumour, she thought, even if it is hard to find.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:44 PM   #64
theWhiteLady
Wight

Sting

It took quite some time for Evelina's expected visitors, especially Bandolin (as she noted with exasperation), to arrive. As a result, she was quite short-tempered, even more so than usual, which was never a good thing with Evelina. Finally Bandolin appeared through the dark forest, and they clustered together.

Quote:
"Yeah, why are we here? And what's the pay" Bandolin asked, a greedy glint in his eye.

Evelina answered "Alright, here's the plan..."
"But before I begin, let me make two things clear. You both will arrive on time, a delay such as the one made tonight could mess up our plans. And Bandolin, you will address me as Evelina, Miss Evelina, or simply as 'you' but never," and her black eyes flashed dangerously, "as 'woman'. Is that understood?"

Bandolin looked sullen, but decided it best not to argue with Evelina in such a foul mood. She waited till he grunted in assent before beginning once more.

"Right, on to the job. A local hobbit, Lobelia Sackville-Baggins, (I'm sure you have heard of her wealth and despisement for the Baggins up at Bag End) has given me news of a large party planned to celebrate Mad Baggins and his nephew, Frodo's, birthday. Frodo is not to know of the event, however, so plans are being made right now all over the Shire to acquire provisions secretly for the party. That is where we come in." At this, her voice lowered, not from fear of being overheard but from anticipation. "Lobelia has hired us and yes, there will be payment!" She added quickly as Jasper and Bandolin both opened their mouths to inquire. "Plenty of gold." And she drew out the small leather purse, giving it an extra shake, making the coins jangle merrily inside. She drew out a few coins and flicked them to her comrades before continuing.

"There will be more later, and I expect we can get more out of Miss Lobelia if needed." Evelina gave a laugh that would be merry if there was not a steely note hidden inside. Her face was serious the next moment, however, and very business-like. "But our job is to scare the hobbits, set them off the idea of having this little party, and send them to hide trembling in their hobbit holes. Lobelia has given us free reign as to the methods of scaring them, so I suggest we become very creative." She laughed again, and surveyed the faces watching her carefully.
Old 01-15-2003, 11:23 PM   #65
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Even though it was dark, Marigold could see the five pairs of eyes staring at her, waiting. She tried to swallow her fears but she could feel the hairs on her neck stand up and she shivered a little. A mist was coming up and there was a cool breeze which didn't help at all. At that moment, Marigold would have said anything to get away from there.

"I take this oath before my ancestors and everyone present, and they will hold me to it" She repeated slowly after Sam, trying not to think of her surroundings. After she was done she heard him take a deep breath and she also felt relieved.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:39 PM   #66
Merri
Wight

Sting

Elanor gave an encouraging sort of smile to Marigold, at least, as encouraging as could be, considering that she was scared out of her mind.

Maybe, just maybe, Cami would let it go at that, and they could go home now. Being afraid made Elanor feel wretched- she was usually the most courageous one of all the hobbit children, and to be so frightened by something inanimate, such as the barrows, humiliated her. She bowed her head, lost in her thoughts and memories.

[ January 16, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-16-2003, 03:36 PM   #67
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Cami heaved a sigh of relief. It looked as if they would get out of here, without anything else bad happening.

She turned and talked to Marigold, "Alright, I think that will do. Now, we need to tell you about the 'secrets' we've been hiding."

Cami looked around at the children. "We've really got two choices. We can sit here in this cold, miserable barrow and talk, or we can walk away from here and discuss this on our way home."

Cami thought she knew what their answer would be, but she never even got a chance to hear it. At that instant, from the direction of the woods, a beast let out a lonely howl, a noise that rent the air with bleak despair and urgency. One part of Cami's mind told her it was only a mangy farm dog who'd gotten loose to prowl the hills. But the other part of her head conjured up an image of a large, shaggy wolf with very wicked, sharp teeth. She was not about to stay around to find out which of her two guesses was correct.

She tore off across the fields, with the other children following close behind. No one stopped until they reached the edge of the farmhouses. Then, before splitting up to go to their homes, they stopped for a moment to talk.

Elanor and Sam explained to Marigold, and to Belle as well, exactly what was expected of them. Cami turned an eye on the group, "So we're in this together, huh? No more plotting or sneaking around with secrets, except the single one we keep from Frodo. We're friends now, and we've got to stick up for each other."

"I'm counting on everybody here to do their share." Four heads nodded in agreement. "Whether you're big or little doesn't matter. What matters is that we plan a good party that Frodo will like."

She backed away from the group. "I've got to go. Otherwise I'll catch it from my parents. See you tomorrow afternoon at Bilbo's house to find out what he wants us to do. Hopefully Frodo won't be there. If he is, just pretend you're there to listen to stories."

Cami took off running in the direction of her house.
Old 01-16-2003, 07:13 PM   #68
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Quote:
We've really got two choices. We can sit here in this cold, miserable barrow and talk, or we can walk away from here and discuss this on our way home
No! We can't stay here! Marigold thought but was too scared to say anything. At that moment there was a lone wolf howl. It chilled her to the bone and ran off as fast as she could grabbing Sam's hand. Looking back she swore she'd seen a menacing sillhouette of a wolf against the moon.

They ran until they reached the farmhouses where they told her everything that was going on and they all left towards their homes. Frodo's Birthday. Ofcourse, how could I have forgotten about that She thought to herself as they turned the corner to their house.
Old 01-16-2003, 09:02 PM   #69
Merri
Wight

Sting

Elanor breathed a sigh of relief as they rounded the bend.

"She couldn't have chosen a worse place to meet!" She said, leaning on a near by fence-post and breathing in deeply to catch her breath. "It's a good thing it didn't take too long."

She glanced up worriedly at her hole. Through the window she could see her mother's figure, bent over something- probably needlework. What am I going to tell her? Elanor wondered, loosing track of Sam and Marigold's conversation.

"I have to go," She said abruptly. "I'll be in boiled water if I don't. See you later." She ran up the hill and into her hole.

[ January 17, 2003: Message edited by: Merri ]
Old 01-16-2003, 10:54 PM   #70
Deorlin
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Jasper's beady dark eyes gleamed at the sight of the coins laying in his hand. Money was always welcome, as his parents kept him on a very tight purse string indeed since that last little caper in Bree. He never did quite understand his family's way of thinking - that money must be come by through hard work, sweat, and honest labor in order for it to be worth having.

Well, he'd had enough of their philosophy; had it crammed down his throat throughout his boyhood. But he knew, he understood just how easy it was to take the "hard-earned" profits of others and convert them to his own uses. No harm in that. In fact, it's just what all those "respectable" types did actually - try to make profit from others' foolishness or greed or sufferings. Look at this Lobelia character - what a fine piece of work she was! Trying to upset a party! A party! Well, it wasn't for him to wonder at the wickedness of others, as long as they threw coins his way, and the task was not too fraught with danger.

Thinking along those lines, he asked Evelina,"So, we're to set upon these halflings, and steal their goods? Don't sound like much of a challenge ter me." His tone took on a note of superiority, a sure sign that he was concerned about protecting his own hide from bodily injury. "How's it all gonna go then? I mean ter say, will it be at night, while they're sleepin', or sumfing?"

Evelina looked at Jasper, a slight grimace of disdain passing over her features, but hidden in the darkness.

"Well, boys, this is what I've cooked up . . ."
Old 01-17-2003, 12:26 PM   #71
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Saved:

In case any of the hobbit children want to do another post on their arrival home.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:32 PM   #72
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Primrose was up as the sun rose over Hobbiton's green fields. As she got dressed and crept out of the house, she wondered how she could get all the hobbits in one place at one time to discuss their plans. Deciding she'd do a favor for her father, she walked to the Hobbiton post office to see if there were any letters. To her surprise, she found there was one that was addressed to her, from Olo Proudfoot.

Prim tore open the envelope and pulled the paper out, reading it over carefully. Smiling, she folded it back up and went back home to have breakfast. She was certain everyone else had received letters that said the same.

Greetings

You are invited to Olo Proudfoots house, for lunch and discussion. About you know what.

Signed
Olo

"Mum," she said as she sat down, handing the rest of the letters to her father, "I'm going over to Olo Proudfoot's house for lunch." She handed her mother the letter.

"'About you know what?'" her mother said, puzzled. "Well, I suppose you may. Does this concern what you were talking about last night at dinner?"

"Yes, Mum," said Primrose. "But, Mum, after breakfast I'm going straight over to Melilot's house. I have some business with her."

Primrose was willing to forgive her friend for forgetting the meeting, because that was what she did most of the time -forget things-, but she was not eager to have to explain it all over again.

Well, I'm the leader, Prim thought. I guess I have to. I'll explain to Bilbo why she wasn't there, as well. I can't imagine not having Melilot during our 'journey!'

The hobbit children had finished breakfast and were at Bag End. Bilbo handed them each ten invitations, explaining what they should do as he did so. Frodo had gone for a walk at Bilbo's suggestion, and now he hastened to get the children on their way.

"You will each start out with these ten," he said. "They have the names on them, so you'll who to give them to. Make sure Frodo does not read the invitations. If he asks you tell him what they are; he knows he's having a birthday soon."

"But, Mr. Bilbo," one of the children said, "is there anything in the invitations that talks about the surprise party?"

"Of course. We want everyone to be able to give him a surprise. I only hinted at it, though, saying that they should be there early." Bilbo looked at all the children. "Now, go on, go deliver those. Come back for more when you finish!"

The children were out the door before Bilbo had spoken the last words.

[ January 17, 2003: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]
Old 01-17-2003, 02:47 PM   #73
Sindae
Haunting Spirit

Sindae has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

When Crystal woke up next day it was already noon. She got up, streched her arms and went downstairs.

Her parents weren't there, just as she had expected, probably doing the shopping or just having a walk. So she got herself some food and started to eat a very large breakfast since she was pretty hungry-no breakfast, no second breakfast, she wondered why she was still alive. She wasn't that kind of Hobbit who would starve if he (or she) didn't have anything to eat for two hours but still if she could get something she ate it.

After finishing the breakfast she went outside to have a look in the letter box.

"Hm...let's see...one for dad, one for mum, another one for dad, one for me, one for...hang on, one for ME??? Who would write a letter to ME???"

She opened it hastily and read:

Greetings

You are invited to Olo Proudfoots house, for lunch and discussion. About you know what.

Signed
Olo

"Oops" she though "that's in about five minutes...I'd better go!" She wrote a little message for her parents and ran down the street.

[ January 17, 2003: Message edited by: Sindae ]
Old 01-17-2003, 04:22 PM   #74
Merri
Wight

Elanor read her invitation and grinned. In a flash, she was out of Bag End and on the long, windy road, humming a verse of her own making:

At five the sun sets,
Come autumn my dreams arise
Whither shall I go?
To Rivendell? Lothlorien? or Mordor?
I will go there
and back again

The last lines she had borrowed from Mr. Bilbo, but that was because she liked them so much. Suddenly, she caught sight of a figure making its way towards her. Frodo! She tried to dodge behind a tree, but- too late! He'd seen her.

"Elanor!" He called, waving his hand cheerfully. The two walked along a little ways together. He showed every sign of wanting to spend more time in her company, and of not letting her go any time soon.

"I'm sorry," She said. "I have to go- um- urgent business." She stumbled over the words urgent business.

"What sort of urgent business?" He inquired, a strange smile playing about his lips.

"It's a secret," She managed a grin. He then continued to ask her what she held in her hands, and in a choked-up sort of voice she replied that it was a birthday invitation.

She got away as quickly as she could and carried out her duty.

[ January 17, 2003: Message edited by: Merri ]
Old 01-17-2003, 06:39 PM   #75
theWhiteLady
Wight

Sting

Quote:
"Well, boys, this is what I've cooked up . . ."
“As far as I can tell, our best advantage will be surprise. You may think it won’t be much of a challenge, but never underestimate these hobbits. Slow and stupid as they can be, I’ve seen them become very fierce when hard pressed. We may be bigger, but we will be outnumbered.” She paused to let this sink in before continuing, a chorus of crickets filling the silence with their shrill voices.

“Still, this is the very heart of the Shire, and I very much doubt whether any of the party will be armed. They think themselves perfectly safe in their little realm, giving no thought to the world outside, and having no fear of attack. Just in case, however, we’ll have to take them off their guard. A diversion of some type, perhaps, to distract them. Then we can swoop upon them, scare them properly, and take the provisions they have gathered.”

“Not the most dangerous or exciting job, of course,” Evelina conceded, straightening up
with a shrug and flipping her black hair over her shoulder. “But jobs are scarce, and we shall get food, gold, and much enjoyment out of this one. I will find out from Lobelia
when they plan to begin their “hobbit walking party” and send you a message to meet me here.” Jasper and Bandolin nodded as Evelina looked through the swaying branches to the half moon low in the sky. “It is late, if there are no questions, I am finished.” By this she meant, of course, that they should leave, as their business was concluded
Old 01-17-2003, 08:26 PM   #76
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Walking up the path Marigold posted another invitation. The road was covered in puddles of brown water, it had probably been raining the night before but Marigold didn’t mind that much. She felt very important delivering these special invitations, they had been handwritten by Bilbo, and on the envelope he had written the guests name in black ink. I wonder if I deliver all of mine first if Mr. Bilbo will tell me a story!

At the thought of this she hurried along much faster up the path. Looking at the invitations she only had five left. That’s not much, come on, faster! She practically ran up the path which was on a slope but then, being rather distracted, she slipped and fell splat on her face in the mud. ‘No!’ She shouted. There was mud all down her dress but worst of all, the invitations were covered in it as well. ‘Marigold, you idiot! You clumsy idiot! Look what you’ve done!’ She said, furious with herself. She tried to wipe the mud of the invitations but the once white paper was now a chocolate brown colour. ‘Now what am I going to do! Mr. Bilbo’s going to be so angry and disappointed…’ She’d been so anxious to impress Bilbo but now, feeling so ashamed she picked herself up and ran, sobbing back to Bag end.

She burst into the round green door, dripping with mud and ran for Bilbo. ‘Mr. Bilbo! I’m so sorry! I, I didn’t mean for it to happen, I was just trying to deliver them faster so I would be first to finish. It, it’s all my fault!’ She stammered and then she dropped the envelopes on the floor and looked up at Bilbo, not knowing what else to say.

[ January 17, 2003: Message edited by: Beruthiel ]
Old 01-17-2003, 09:06 PM   #77
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

"Hello? Melilot?" Prim pounded on the door, waiting for her friend to open it. "Melilot, if you don't open the door this instant, I won't tell you about the meeting that you forgot."

The door was flung open, and there stood Melilot. "I was coming as fast as I could," she said. "Mum didn't hear you until after I told her you were knocking."

"Well, come on. It's nearly lunchtime now! I feel it my duty as leader of the group to get to Olo Proudfoot's house before anyone else."

"What's this about going to Olo Proudfoot's house?"

Prim showed Melilot the invitation, and they set off down the road. Prim told her all about the meeting, and ended up with saying what 'you know what' was… why they were going to Olo's house.

They walked past Bag End and walked the remaining distance to Olo's house. It was quiet on his street, which Prim was extremely thankful for, after the hustle and bustle of her neighborhood. There were beautiful flowers in each garden, though they weren't as beautiful as they had been in spring. The road wound this way and that, and it prompted Prim and Melilot to guess what was at the end of each bend.

They opened the gate and began hurrying up the worn walkway made of grey rock. They paused for a moment to admire the grass that seemed greener than green and the bright flowers. Prim secretly wondered how Olo managed to keep his garden so fresh, even when it was getting cold outside.

They walked up to the yellow front door and knocked. It was Olo who opened it. "Greetings, Prim!" he said, and Prim hastened to introduce Melilot to him. She then anxiously asked if they were the first to arrive, and he assured her they were. Then he invited them inside.

Prim and Melilot squirmed out of their coats and hung them up on the coat pegs near the door. Olo led them through the hallway and into the dining and sitting room. He brought them to two chairs that stood near a window that looked out at the garden and the street and had them sit down. "Well, now all we have to do is wait for the others to arrive," said Primrose. "This is a beautiful home, Olo. And your garden is beyond words!"

Olo nodded proudly. He knew that very well. Stepping out of the room, he went back to the front door to wait for the rest of the main hobbit company.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:30 PM   #78
excheeto
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Belle watched as the other children ran,one by one, towards thier homes.It was a long way to Bag End,even longer to her own home in Frogmorton.The howling seemed closer,and in a panic,she ran.

She fled in the direction of Bilbo's,but heard the rustling of a quick pursuit getting closer.She sped up,her legs burning,but the rustling sped up to match.With a gasp,she was knocked down,and all went black.
Old 01-18-2003, 03:29 AM   #79
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

The Road to Olo's House

Sending long wisps of pipe smoke behind him as he walked, Biffo headed across the bridge to Hobbiton. His stay at the Green Dragon last night had been quiet, but very restful, and today he felt as though he could even slay a troll, if the opportunity came up before teatime.

Nodding and saying "good morning" to the folk he passed by in the market, the hobbit continued up towards The Hill. Before the road started to wind its way up to Bagshot Row, he turned down a winding lane towards Olo Proudfoot's house. Biffo had a good sense of direction, and even though he had only been to his uncle's once before (last night, as a matter of fact) he had no trouble remembering the way.

Arriving at Olo's house, Biffo rapped on his jolly, bright yellow door and waited patiently. Looking around he noticed that grey clouds had begun to gather overhead, and it was starting to look more wintry. He also noticed that Olo's garden was very well kept, and the lawn had recently been mowed. Shortly, a round-faced hobbit woman appeared at the door.

"Hello again, Aunt!"

"Hello there, Biffo," she replied, "do come in, won't you, the others have already begun to arrive. Ooh, looks like a bit cloudy, doesn't it?"

The hobbit furrowed her brow, a funny expression for one only ten or so years older than Biffo. Still, she and Olo already had two children (apparently, Biffo had not met them last night) and were quite well settled in their comfortable hobbit-hole.

"My word, Auntie, your grass looks so green!" Biffo commented, pleased to note the proud look on her face. She and Olo kept a very tidy house and garden, and never got sick of well-deserved praise.

After politely wiping his feet on the mat, Biffo entered the round doorway. Olo's wife took his hat and walking staff, and showed him through to the parlour. There, on a seat by the window, sat Primrose, the organiser and ponymistress of the group. Opposite her sat another hobbit lass. A Brandybuck, unless Biffo was mistaken. He said a good morning to them, and then Olo came in to say hello. After a brief chat, he excused himself and went back out of the room. Biffo could hear the voices of hobbit children as well. After introducing himself properly to the two hobbits, he waited in the parlour for the meeting to begin.
Old 01-18-2003, 12:14 PM   #80
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

"Pearl! Pearl Margarite Took, wake up this instant! PEARL!!" reluctantly, Pearl opend her eyes.

"What?"

Vivi was standing over her, looking down on her bed in a wierd mix of amusement and indignance.

"Pearl, honey, I really, really think you should get up. It is eleven thirty and you supposed to be at Olo somethings house in half an hour, and no offence, your hair is a mess."

Pearl stared at her friend bewilderd. Olo... wasn´t that one of the older guys she would be travelling with? She was supposed to be at his house? What was happening here?

"Someone dropped this off yesterday, and my damn little sister forgot to give it to us..." Vivi explained. "You better get going, it´s almost time."

Pearl flew out of bed, jumped in a dress and sprinted out of the room. She dabbed some lipgloss on her lips, braided her hair and ran out of the house.

She had always been a good sprinter, and that did her extremly well today. As she ran towards the Proudfoot´s house, she made a list of ideas for the party.

A nice-looking hobbit hole came into view, with a door in a nice yellow. It looked even brighter with all that healty looking grass sorounding it. It reminded her of spinach and eggs, and she suddely realized just how hungry she was. "Hope they have some food ready," she thought and knocked. A girl of thirteen opened.

"Hello,"she said, smiling. "You must be one of my father´s guests. Come in, come in."

She was extremy polite. Pearl thanked her and let the lass guide her to the sitting room. Some of her compainions were already there, others weren´t. She stood in the doorway,quite uncertain where to sit, when Primrose beckoned her near.

"Hi, Pearl. This is Melilot. She´ll be travelling with us as well."

Pearl smiled at the other women, and wondered what to say. She just had to say something, or they would hear her stomach rumbling loudly. Fortunatly, Olo bumped in at that time. He welcomed her, and thanked her for coming him.

"Twas a pleasure, Mr. Proudfoot. We´ve got so much to talk about... oh, I met your daughter, what a charming girl she is!"

Olo smiled proudly. Something told Pearl Peoni was the only thing he was more proud of, besides his grass.
She leaned back and waited for the rest of the company to arrive...

[ January 18, 2003: Message edited by: Manardariel ]