Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2002, 02:57 PM   #1
Iaurlachien
Pile O'Bones

Iaurlachien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril The Blue Mountains

Originally posted by Mattias

The sun was beginning to sink behind the trees of the un-named forest as Mattius rubbed his chin in thought and worry. The tracks had all but disappeared in the dense woodland and darkness was approaching, fast. Mattius didn’t like tracking the Beast in the darkness, not at all. He loosely felt the hilt of his sword, Angmarth, and took security in it. He noticed something on the floor, something small but helpful to him, a small piece of broken flint. He crouched down and took a closer look at it. I seemed Dwarvish in fashion. ‘Strange…’ he thought to himself but his thoughts were cut off when he heard screams coming from the thicket some five hundred yards away. He sprinted forward, not heeding the cuts he was receiving from the branches either side of him. As he got closer to the sounds he realised that the screams were that of a child and probably a small girl at that. At last he burst out into the opening unsheathing Angmarth and caught the glimpse of the Black Beast sprinting back into the forest away from him. Quick as a flash he began to run after the shadow but he was stopped in his tracks by the whining of someone on the ground. He turned around to see the small figure hunched up against a tree. Caught in two minds he quickly sheathed his sword and bent down to the tree. Now he could see that the little girl that he thought had been attacked was in fact a young female Hobbit!
“Are you okay?” Mattius asked sternly. The young hobbit moaned and mumbled ‘yes’ to him, eventually.
“Stay here, I will be back soon. Don’t move.” With that Mattius leapt into the woods the way the Beast had taken.
After around thirty minutes Mattius returned to the opening to find the hobbit still sat up against the tree. She looked up and her blonde hair trailed down her face. Mattius helped lift her to her feet.
“You’re a tough little hobbit and no doubt. Perchance you would tell me why you are out here in the un-named woods and how it came about that you were attacked by that Thing that I hunt.”
Old 08-26-2002, 03:02 PM   #2
Iaurlachien
Pile O'Bones

Silmaril

It was extremely cold in the forest, being winter. The wind was rushing through the trees. Their leaves seemed to sparkle in the soft morning sunlight. It had stopped raining and everything was quiet and peaceful. Through the un-named forest walked a black thing. One that would have come upon the beast could hardly have told what it was, it being as black as the forest itself. It’s fur was shining like polished silver, water dripping from it. Almost cat-like the animal seemed, by watching the way it moved. No-one was usually out at this hour, and the beast knew it. It was looking for something, but did apparently not quite know what, because it was wandering around in no particular direction. It looked about the trees and turned its head up to the sky, day was coming. The night was fading quickly now. The cat sat down to lick the water from it’s paws. Suddenly, a flash, a black flash it seemed. The sound of hooves on the wet soil ground. Then it was gone. Quickly the cat got up from the ground and disappeared behind a big strong oak tree. When coming back into sight, the beholder would not have known what to do or to thing. First one bare foot stepped onto the wet grass, then another. A hand was trying to find a grip through the branches. Then a black figure climbed out of the bushes behind the oak tree. It was a woman, Rothallė was her name, Muirė she was also called. She swung her black hair behind her delicate shoulders. Drops of dew fell off it sparkling like a thousand stars on a clear night. Clad in black she was, wearing a black cloak around her shoulders pinned with a silver brooch that looked like a leaf. Her eyes shone, bright green with spots of yellow. One could say that the sparkles of the brightest sunlight were in her eyes. Then, another black flash came, but she did not appear to be afraid. She cried out in a language unknown to most of the living creatures of her age and only spoken when being with beasts. Out of the thick forest stepped a horse. It was a fierce and noble steed, it was her horse Winter’s Sorrow. Rothallė leaped upon its strong back and grabbed its long beautiful manes, for the horse had no bridle on. “Quick”, she said to the horse, and away it leaped into the breaking daylight, heading South.
Old 08-26-2002, 03:43 PM   #3
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Slow down, slow down daughter of shadow," Radagast sighed as she passed him on the road. Rothallė reined in her imposing beast and turned back. She had keen ears and even the old man's whispers came as clear sounds to her. She walked the horse the few steps back to his side.
"You should not be alone here old man," she said in faltering Common Tongue.
He chuckled. "I fear little in this world my dear, I keep watch over living things and in a place such as this I think they keep watch over me."
Rothallė shrugged and carefully turned her horse back to its southern path. She meant to leave the old fool to his babbling.
"I would not go much further alone night-sister. There are others in this forest this morn. All will change your life, some good, some not. Walk awhile with me and see what the daylight brings."
Again she reined in her horse. This time she made no attempt to ride away but fell in step with an old man quite capable of keeping pace with her.
Old 08-26-2002, 03:48 PM   #4
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

Awakening to a cold, grey morning, a tall figure stood alone upon a precipice, the chill winds blowing her long black hair everywhere. Her name was Endereth. She looked down upon the forest, cold and dark, the trees creeping up the side of the mountain and barely stopping a half-mile from where she stood. She pulled her blue cape tighter about her, and her tears fell freely. She was young, still a child in the eyes of her people, and had suffered great loss. She had been out chasing a rabbit for that night's dinner, and the rest had waited for her in the glade... there was Blackmage, Flyer, Anoroth, Eranor, and the youngest, Flyer's daughter Nessa, named for the Vala. She was but ten years old, still innocent and cheerful. But Endereth had returned to find them dead. Nessa was next to her father, still barely alive, bleeding to death. Endereth had tried to save her, and she asked what could have done this. The child replied with few words: "The black beast..." and it was then that she, too, did pass into the shadow world, a child barely given a chance to live.
Endereth had spent weeks trying to find this murderous creature, but to no avail. Today, she was ready to give up, when suddenly she heard screams and the roaring of a horrid monster echoing across the valley. Endereth heard it coming from nearby, and she somehow perceived that her time had come for vengeance against her 'family's' killer. Jumping down, she sprinted lightly as a deer down the mountainside, never stumbling, until she reached the trees.
Old 08-26-2002, 08:38 PM   #5
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

It was still morning when Calentoliel wandered into the forest. She was in search of her horse, Bragoldal, who had disappeared the night before. The cold wind nipped at her skin and blew her black hair in all directions, but Calentoliel did not take notice. She was worried, not only for her horse, but for the others she knew were in peril. She had heard the screams last night, but had not come to help for it was dark, so dark that even her sharp eyes could not find the way. Though she was in doubt, Calentoliel hoped that the victims of whoever attacked them were still alive and that she could help them.
Wrapping her black cloak tightly around her body for warmth, she walked deeper into the forest. Suddenly, a twig snapped from behind her. Quick as lightening, Calentoliel unsheathed her sword as she turned around to find that someone had been following her.

[ August 26, 2002: Message edited by: Brinniel ]
Old 08-27-2002, 06:08 PM   #6
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

The elf turned and she saw a bright flash of cold light as the shadow of the sun reflected off of her blade. Endereth drew her own sword as a precaution. Her opponent was startled. "Who are you, and why were you creeping up behind me like that?" she asked in a flurry. Ender's face was hard. "I did not see you before either, though I walk a straight path. Are you some elven-witch trying to deceive me?"
The woman was angered by being called a witch. "You have a bold tongue for one so young, ranger girl. Speak with a little more caution next time you meet someone you suspect is a... a witch."
"And who are you that advises me, Endereth 'Fireflight' Naurelyr who has wandered the wilds and been called 'wise for my age' by many a traveler I have met, as though you were a teacher disciplining a young child?"
"I am Calentoliel," she said proudly.
Endereth calmed down a bit, sheathing her sword. "Mae govannem, if you call drawing swords on one another being well-met," she said, smiling. "I have already mentioned my name to you. How did you guess that I was a ranger?"
Calentoliel looked Ender up and down, shrugging when she finished. "You certainly look the part," she suggested before they both laughed. But Endereth soon grew grave. "I know you could hear those screams, Calentoliel. I myself am going to investigate the source. Would you be doing the same, walking alone in these forests?"
Calentoliel's eyes were cast down. "I have lost my horse and am trying to find her."
Endereth nodded. "I am loath to say, but your dear mount stands little chance against the black beast that roams this area. None have a chance against its might, not even the rangers," at this point her grief returned, and she fought back tears. "Yet as soon as I find out who has been attacked, I would gladly help you search for her."
Calentoliel smiled. "I will go with you, then. I thank you."
The two elves ran away on their light feet in the direction from which the screams had come.
Old 08-28-2002, 11:16 AM   #7
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The hobbit opened her mouth to answer but all that came from her was a scream like no other. Mattius' graven face caught a refelction in the halfling's eye, a darkness leaping from behind him. Like a flash he spun and unleashed his fury through his ancient father's blade, Angmarth, there was no time for fear as the Great Cat, claws drawn and teeth out sprang from the trees. Huge it was, and darkness followed it like a foul stench. Mattius managed to bat away its claws with his blade and head butted the beast's great skull with a thud! With a foul shriek the Cat jumped up, and Mattius had just enough time to slash at its face, not cutting deep enough to cause permenant harm but a nasty scar would always be there. Now the Thing's howl awoke everything in the woods as it sprang back into the cover of the trees.
"Aurė Entuluva!" Shouted Mattius; the day shall come again!
Old 08-28-2002, 02:57 PM   #8
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

Radagast and his unwilling companion halted. The air was torn asunder with soul wrenching shrieks somewhere close. He clasped his staff firmly. Rothallė reined in her mount and stared in the direction of the sounds that pierced the early morning air. The beast was close.
Old 08-28-2002, 05:30 PM   #9
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Calentoliel and Endereth traveled together in silence. They kept at a quick pace for several hours until they discovered a still figure lying not far ahead.
The two elves slowly approached the figure only to discover that it was a corpse. The body was so mangled, it was unrecognizable. They both studied the dead creature closely until Calentoliel realized who she was looking at. She swallowed hard, trying to hold back her tears.
"Bragoldal, my horse," she choked. "It is what I have suspected then. He is dead."
Endereth looked up at Calentoliel, her face white. "The black beast," she whispered. "It has killed the poor horse, along with the others."
"The black beast?" Calentoliel questioned, but Endereth did not have time to answer, for she was suddenly thrown down by a creature clad in black. The thing was was hooded so that only two glowing eyes were seen. It was on top of Endereth, who was struggling for her sword while it wrapped its dark hands around her neck. Calentoliel, who was just as surprised as Endereth, opened her mouth and without warning, began to sing.
Calentoliel's voice was different from any other living thing in Middle-earth. She sang words that though were unknown, sounded clear as day. Her song rang and echoed throughout the entire forest. And though many would find this song beautiful, the hooded creature did not. It howled in pain and shuddered, letting go of its grip on Endereth. Endereth gasped for breath as the creature fled. Calentoliel did not stop singing until the shadow of the black thing disappeared. She then glanced down at Endereth, who stared back at her with an amazed expression. Weak from her own song, Calentoliel fell back and rested against a tree and took a deep breath.
Old 08-29-2002, 02:31 PM   #10
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Now this was a strange thing. Mattius listened intently to the song ringing throughout the forrest. It was winter, yet around him all flowers came into bloom and birds began to sing in the trees, harmonizing with the original song. Then, as qucickly as it had begun it ended. As if out of a dream, Mattius' whole body jerked. He grapped the unconcious hobbit and tossed it over his shoulder, sprinting into the woods, the way from which the song came...
Old 08-29-2002, 03:06 PM   #11
Iaurlachien
Pile O'Bones

Silmaril

"You've felt it too, haven't you?" Rothallė spoke to Radagast. The old wizard sighed before speaking in his low voice "I know what you speak of, but you need not fear it yet." "Not fear it yet, it seems to kill everything that gets in it's way." Radagast spoke no more for a while. The wind was whispering soft words through the thickets. But they were not however words of comfort. On the contrary, they whispered words of horror. Then suddenly Rothallė broke the silence. 'How come this forest doesn't have a name? I mean, someone must have thought of one, the forest is more than a thousand years old. Forests don't name themselves you know!" "Now why are you so sure of that, sister of the night? Have you forgotten what was taught to you in your younger years? Have you then forgotten about Fangorn?" Radagast smiled at Rothallė. She started blushing. "You are right, I should be carefull what I say these times, there is always someone on my back to correct what I'm saying. I had actually forgotten about the woods of Fangorn. How could I have, for my staff is made out of it's wood." "You have yet much to learn, daughter of the night." Radagast answered. "I haven't used my powers for some time now, since all has been quiet and peaceful for such a long time now. I can feel that will be over very soon." "I forgot to mention to you," Radagast continued, "that there is absolutely nothing wrong with your sences, my dear, for I sense the same strange thing as you have been for the last few days. And about that staff of yours, you will come to use it in time, do not worry, you need not to, yet." They strolled on and came to an open field. The sun had risen now and it was shining brightly onto the bright green grass. "Radagast?" said Rothallė, about to ask another question. "Not so hasty now, daughter of the night. All in good time, all in good time, now..." They walked further, heading south, through the forest. The forest that has no name.
Old 08-29-2002, 05:04 PM   #12
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

The singing voice was further away than he had percieved, thought Mattius. It was easy enough to find the direction however, with an un-concious hobbit on one's shoulder or not! There was a great path made freshly, huge trees were uprooted and tossed to make a clearing. Mattius cursed to himself and his mind was full of tearful fear. The Beast had changed, and now it was more powerful than ever.

Mattius knew this and now knew that the Beast would be a terrible horror to behold. In fact, Mattius wondered if any had even hurt it as much as he had when he slahed its face open. At length he saw the end of the trail and a small opening. He gently laid the hobbit down, unsheathed his sword, and approached...

[ October 01, 2002: Message edited by: Mattius ]
Old 08-29-2002, 10:19 PM   #13
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Sting

Endereth stood up slowly and approached Calentoliel. Calentoliel watched her every step, knowing what she was about to ask. She waited.
And then the expected question came. "How did you do that? It was magic, wasn't it?" Endereth stuttered.
"Yes," Calentoliel replied. "It is a gift, a gift that comes to me unknown. I am able to sing magic, whether it is to destroy, to heal, or to create images."
Endereth stared down at her, looking even more amazed than before. "So you can do anything then?"
Calentoliel smiled. "I wish I could. I try to avoid using my magic, for as you can see, it drains the energy from my body. I wouldn't have sung just now, as I probably would've been better off if I hadn't, but sometimes I am unable to control myself."
Endereth nodded in understanding. "I see. And you do not know how this magic came to you?"
"No. I know nothing of my past. I do not even know who I am. That is something I am trying to find out."
Calentoliel was beginning to feel uncomfortable speaking to a stranger of her personal life. She wished to change the subject. Looking back in the direction the black creature had disappeared, she asked,"What was that black creature? Was it the black beast you speak of?"
Endereth shook her head. "It couldn't have been. If it was, you wouldn't have been able to chase it off like you did, even with your song. I have seen the destruction of the black beast. It is too powerful for anyone."
Calentoliel was about to respond when she heard a noise come from behind the trees. Endereth heard it too, for she already had her sword out. Calentoliel stood up and joined her, ready to fight whatever it was that was heading towards them.
Old 08-30-2002, 05:40 AM   #14
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Mattius' keen eyes percieved the two elves in the opening and sheathed his blade before making himself fully known to them. He slowly walked to them and looked them both in the eye before talking, Endereth and Calentoliel remained ready with swords up.
"Greetings fellow travellers," he began, "I am Mattius of Minas Tirith and Lothlorien, of Men and Elves." With this the two companions lowered their swords somewhat,
"If you would give me but two minutes, I will return to you, for I left a chance companion some what behind, to keep her from danger should I find it." The two female elves looked more suspicious at this remark but Mattius unsheahed his sword Angmarth and laid it before their feet and then spoke,
"Here is my father's ancient blade, that has cut the face of the Beast, I will return for this, with my companion in a mtater of minutes." The two elves gazed upon him in new wonder, a mighty warrior of Men he seemed, a high captain of Minas Tirith perhaps, yet he had a strong Elvish air about him that they could not ignore, his race was extremly difficult to decipher.
"Then perchance I can discuss the somewhat important matter of the Great Beast that walks in these woods." With that he turned around a walked back to where he had come from. Calentoliel, who was still feeling weak, looked at Endereth, who sheathed her sword. Calentoliel followed her lead before seating herself up against a tree again to catch her breath.

Mattius returned shorty, a hobbit was lying over his right shoulder, asleep, or more likely, unconcious.
"Is the hobbit hurt?" Asked Endereth meaningfully.
"Nay," replied Mattius, "she will be fine in due time, she looked the Beast in the eyes for too long, she will sleep for a day or two and then wake up wondering what has gone on. It is one of its tricks, to freeze prey before attacking it." Mattius laid the hobbit down on the ground next to Calentoliel who was wondering how he knew so much about the Beast, "But nothing lasts forever." He said.

After picking up his sword from where it lay and re-sheathing it he sat down on the soft ground too.
"Come my good elf," he signaled to Endereth, "let us talk for a while, at least until morning." Endereth looked to the dark trees, half-expecting to see the monster jump through that very second. Mattius saw her face and reasured her.
"Come come, it will not trouble us tonight, not after the trouble we have given it." Endereth wasn't convinced and refused to sit. Mattius sighed,
"Belive me, I have hunted the Thing from the Misty Mountains, across Eriador and now past the Ered Luin, it will not attack us this night, I swear to you!" At last a very reluctant Endereth seated herself beside Calentoliel.
"Now," Mattius began, "may I ask you first to introduce yourselves seeing as though I was kind enough to tell you my name, even whilst having your sword's tip's almost upon my chest, and also why you are here, in the un-named forest hunting, it seems, what I hunt."

[ August 30, 2002: Message edited by: Mattius ]
Old 08-31-2002, 04:09 PM   #15
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

"You seem less wary of me child. That is good. I do not usually concern myself with your ways but we live in strange times and even those of us who try to remain blind to the goings-on about us, get dragged into your affairs eventually. Still, I heard her singing and that will prove useful to us if we should manage to cross paths with them." Radagast seemed to be talking more to himself than his companion on the road. Rothallė found herself smiling at him. He seemed to speak nonsense and yet wore the robes of a wizard.
"Who are you?"
"Radagast, the watcher of creatures, the listener to trees, the ... Oh I forget. I am Radagast the Brown and I am no one of importance save as an extra pair of eyes and ears for you my impetuous sister of shadows."
"I wondered as you spoke with me if that was whom you were old one. I have a head full of questions for you but I can't imagine why you should think I need your help."
"Oh you do my daughter of night, you all will eventually."
"All?"
Radagast smiled to himself and shook his head. "Come along shadow-sister, we are headed south are we not. I would not linger in so open a space." He paced ahead and Rothallė was surpised at having to force her mount into a trot to keep up with the old fool.
Old 09-02-2002, 03:40 PM   #16
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

It was that the travellers crossed the remainder of the meadow in silence. Rothallė stared ahead as she rode, her eyes focused upon the edge of the wood as it began to close in on them once more. Radagast kept his eyes and ears about him. Every movement between the swaying grasses, every sound upon the air, the old man seemed to listen or watch intently and yet never slowed his pace. It was as if he were tracking something and not merely acting as a companion to the shape-shifter.
"Slow your pace Rothallė, there is something on the road ahead that will bring distress to your horse. Hold his head high, so not let him smell the earth."
Rothallė was both surprised by the instruction and the fact the elderly wizard had finally used her name and not some ancient title she had not come across in what felt like centuries. Still, she did as she was bid. There was something in his tone of voice that gave her warning, but it was more than that. She could smell something. It was deathly, foul and un-natural. Even one as brave as she felt uncomfortable as her nostrils filled with the stench.
They entered the forest once more and left the sunny clearing behind them. The road was nevertheless well lit and nothing around them bode evil intent. The horse side-stepped, disquieted. They paced steadily along the narrow track, side by side where it permitted; Rothallė in front where it did not.
As their foreboding grew the track widened a little and they were once more able to walk abreast. It rose gently to a blind summit and the sight that met them at its crest was unwholesome indeed. They had come upon the remains of a butchered horse. Rothallė in her horror forgot the words of Radagast and let her own mount see the carnage. It reared wildly in fear and anger.

[ September 02, 2002: Message edited by: Auriel Haevasawen ]
Old 09-03-2002, 04:37 PM   #17
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Borin the Dwarf sat on the edge of his doorstep. He liked to call it his doorstep now that he was the last dwarf in the Blue Mountains, save a few travelling dwarves that would sometimes come by. He seldom left the caves of his home but for some reason he had decided to take a look outside, and now that he was there, he couldn't remember why he had come up in the first place!
"Bloomin' typical..." he mumbled to himself. He was used to talking to himself in this way for he had been alone for many years. "Well, now that I'm here, I may as well make the most of it!" He stood up to his full height, around four foot, and gazed upon the green woods below and then out to the blue sea. He shivered when he saw the water, he never liked the look of the sea.
"Hmmm.." he said thoughtfully, "supply of woods getting pretty low, best get some more before winter sets in!" With that he jogged down the rough path marked from his mountain abode to the un-named woods below.

As he came closer to the trees he heard a quiet sound. He checked his axe at the side of him, he always carried it, the same one he had used in the Ork-Dwarf war of Moria. Borin thought the noise was becoming louder, yes he was certain it was. Suddenly a great black shape appeared in front of him and the Dwarf was frozen with fear and dropped his axe. Only a few yards away from him was a great Uruk-Hai, larger than any seen on Middle-Earth and none more fearful, to Borin at least, he was terified of even normal Orks and had to fight the War of Moria with all his courage. Now running towards him was the largest Uruk-Hai ever seen. It ran on Borin's left but as it passed him it swung its giant left arm and knocked the dwarf out cold.

The Black Beast of Fear was raging in the un-named woods...

[ September 12, 2002: Message edited by: Mattius ]
Old 09-08-2002, 09:39 AM   #18
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

Radagast lept forth and tried to grasp at the horse's mane for Rothallė rode without a bridle. It was to no avail, the horse stamped and refused to be calmed. Rothallė leaned close to its ears while clamping tightly to its back with her thighs. She whispered ancient words and eventually the horse was brought to peace. Radagast smiled and stood back in admiration. The stallion snorted its distaste for the corpse of his fellow creature but was calm. "I knew that you were a special individual my dark sister." He pushed his hat back on his head to admire her work the better. Rothallė did not smile but stared at the bloodbath at the roadside.
"Pray what do you suggest we do now old one?"
"We follow the road. There are others to meet and this calamity shows they will need our support when we find them." He scanned the ground about the body of the horse. "Yes, two have passed this way. They will not be too far ahead and if I am not mistaken others will be there too. Let us make haste moonchild." He beckoned her onward.
Old 09-09-2002, 04:08 PM   #19
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Sting

Calentoliel looked over at Endereth, who remained silent. Finally, Calentoliel spoke.
"I am Calentoliel, and this is Endereth. We are searching for the black beast if that is what you hunt."
Mattius nodded, staring at her. "You have magic in your voice," he said.
Calentoliel glared at him. She did not wish to explain her magic again. "Nay," she lied. "Why would you say such a thing?"
At that Endereth began to laugh. However, Mattius kept a straight face, his eyes fixed on Calentoliel. "Do not lie to me, Calentoliel," he said gently. "I heard your song and I recognize you voice. But you do not have to explain this mysterious gift to me if you wish not to."
Calentoliel smiled, relieved that she did not have to retell her story. She shivered as snow flurries fell from the dark sky.
"I wish we could build a fire," Endereth sighed.
"I wish so also, but I'm afraid it is too risky," Mattius replied, pulling out food frozen from the cold.
He shared with them his food and they talked for some time. Calentoliel leaned against the tree and closed her eyes, listening to the quiet voices of Mattius and Endereth. Before she knew it, she had drifted off into a dreamless sleep.
Old 09-10-2002, 08:20 AM   #20
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Calentoliel slept silently beside the small hobbit while Endereth and Mattius spoke in hushed voices. The sun was sinking and the moon was slowly rising overhead. As silence fell between them the voice of the sea could be heard from the west. Endereth turned her head towards it and at this moment Mattius knew she was of the ancient race, the Noldor. At length she turned back and covered her face with her dark blue hood and bowed her head. Mattius could not see it but she shed a tear in rememberance of her friends killed and also of her yearning to travel west. When she removed her hood and looked at Mattius she asked,
"Do you not feel the same pain as me, when you are near the sea, for you are an Elf are you not?" Mattius looked west for a moment and turned back,
"No, I feel no need to go west, I love Middle-Earth and hearing the sea-birds or smelling the sea-air does not hinder my mind. I am a Child of Lorien but a Man of Gondor." There was a lengthy silence of admiration from both of them before Endereth spoke.
"This thing that you seem to hunt as do I, do you know what it is?" Mattius stretched his arms out and cracked his knuckles.
"I have my suspicions and I can guess but I don't exactly know."
"What do you know and what do you guess?" Asked Endereth quickly. Mattius saw in her icey blue eyes that she hunted the Beast for a similar reason as he.
"What I know," started Mattius in no more than a whisper, "is that it attacks with fear."
"Fear?" Endereth frowned.
"Yes," he said even quieter,"what you see when you face it is what you fear."
"You mean that it changes?"
"Yes, but I suspect only in your mind it changes."
"But what if," started Endereth, "two people see it together?" Mattius sighed,
"I do not have all the answers but it may be that it appears different to the two people and maybe its power diminishes somewhat so the fear is lessened. I do not know." Endereth sat back and began to let all she was hearing sink in. She had learnt a lot but Mattius had more to say.
"But what I do know, is that creatures like this do not simply 'exist'. They are created." Endereth moved foward again,
"You mean," she said so quietly that even Mattius had trouble hearing her, "it could have been... Sauron?" Mattius let out such a loud sigh and sat up so qucikly that Endereth almost jumped out of her skin.
"Thats always a possibilty I guess. But it could have also been one of those wizards. Not Gandalf of course or even Radagast but Sauraman or either one of those Blue Wizards should they have turned to evil." Endereth looked at Mattius with more respect,
"You are quite learned for a very young elf, or man if you wish to regard yourself as one."
"Thank you! They taught me a lot of history when I was in Lorien." Endereth jumped up in surprise,
"Lorien! You must have arrived there just as I left!" She sat back down again, "Oh to see those fair woods again..." The elves began talking of times in Lorien before they were interupted by a noise comming from behind them. Endereth quickly woke up Calentoliel and with Mattius they readied for a fight. The noise was close and a voice could be heard before a figure could be seen.
"Now now my friends, no need for all this!" An old man and a woman came into view and Mattius could see it was one of the wizards he had heard of during his tme in Lorien. He sheathed his sword and approached the Brown Wizard. All that separated the youthful faces of the Elf-Man and the Istari was ten inches of cold air and snowflakes.
"Radagast...?"

[ September 10, 2002: Message edited by: Mattius ]
Old 09-10-2002, 01:06 PM   #21
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

"Indeed I am dear boy. You must be Mattius. I see your troubled brow. Do not be concerned. I know who you are and what task you have set your heart upon." The wizard turned to the womenfolk who huddled against the icey wind. "I know who you are too singer to the stars and her companion. My fellow traveller will introduce herself to you in time. I fear she trusts you little." He spoke the truth for as he spoke she hid behind her stallion, eying the group with caution from behind his head, the wind blowing his mane about her and providing an extra cover. Mattius gave a sharp bow of his head in greeting but the frozen and exhausted ones merely stared at the brown clad old man mocked by flurries of flakes. "Lead us on Mattius. This is too open a place for the exhausted to rest."
Old 09-10-2002, 02:56 PM   #22
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Mattius stared at the old wizard in great wonder. He had loved hearing the stories of Gandalf and Sauraman from the elves in Lorien. To him they seemed like stories of old but they had happened only a few years before he himself arrived at the Golden Woods.
"Greetings good wizard, lover of animals and guardian of all living things on Middle-Earth." Mattius hoped this was the correct way to address a wizard and from the sparkle in Radagast's eyes he could see that he hadn't done half bad! "I will lead," he continued, "if you will follow me. There is a place we can rest from the cold for tonight not far from here at the foot of the mountains." He motioned away eastward. Its not a long march but at least there we can light a fire and keep a bit warmer." Mattius looked confused, "In fact, I don't know why I didn't think of it before to be honest!" Radagast laughed quietly,
"Perhaps your heart told you that if you left this place you would not come upon my companion and I!" Mattius scratched his head and looked at the two elves who frowned back at him.
"Fair enough I guess, now let us be going!" With that Mattius hoisted up the hobbit onto his right shoulder but the woman who was standing behind her horse spoke before he could take a step.
"My horse will bear your hobbit friend to this place, I do not want you being slow if you are leading us." Ordinarilly Mattius would have argued with the lady that he was, in fact, not slow and quite strong enough to carry the hobbit and keep a good pace, but he was too joyous to meet an actual wizard to begin a war of words with her.
"So be it, follow me if you will!"
Old 09-10-2002, 03:14 PM   #23
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

As they walked Mattius took the lead, talking to Radagast about old stories he had heard concerning the wizards and the War of the Ring. Ender and Calentoliel followed behind them with Endereth helping Calentoliel for was still quite weak. The two of them also talked but about their lives before they met. Finally followed the mysterious woman whose horse now carried the unconcious hobbit. She walked silently, in fact, almost impossible to know she was even there. After around forty minutes of this travelling Mattius spoke,
"We are almost there."

Old 09-10-2002, 03:22 PM   #24
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

Endereth followed Mattius cautiously, hoping he knew what he was doing. She knew her way around these mountains, and she knew which places were safe or unsafe. Ender saw the ways of the beast all too well ever since the day she had begun to hunt it.

As the travelers approached a grove of trees, an old vision flashed in Ender's heart. She knew this place, and it gave her a dark feeling. Mattius parted the trees, signaling that they had reached their destination, and it was in that moment that Ender knew what her feeling was. She stifled a scream, backing away slowly. "Fool!" she hissed at Mattius. "If you really knew your way around this forest, you'd know that this was the very place where my travelling companions were killed. I can still see the bloodstains on the tree! You may think this place is safe, but the black beast is more clever than that. Most places that appear so in the forest are its most favored hunting grounds. You know not what you have led us into!" she shouted at him.
Mattius looked surprised and humbled all at the same time. "If nothing else, we might rest here."
"NO! I refuse to take a step into that grove. It haunts my memory. Do you know what it is to return and find your friends-- your brethren-- murdered and slain viciously and cruelly? That was all we were doing, taking a rest. I was gone not fifteen minutes, during what time the beast came and ran them down. All it needs is a few seconds... that's all..." Ender's voice was breaking. She hated it and feared it. She knew its ways. For all they knew, it could be in the tree, watching their every move. "We cannot stay here. I don't wish to take the chance of being slain again."
Old 09-10-2002, 03:38 PM   #25
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Mattius exchanged glances with the wizard who showed no sign that he would make the decision for him. Finally Mattius spoke,
"Okay, I do know of another place but it will take us another hour or so to get there. It is safe, its a secret cave in the side of the mountain where the dwarves used to live. Endereth?" The elf looked up and nodded whilst shaking with a mixture of fear and cold.
"Lead on again dear boy!" Said Radagast.

Borin moaned as he turned over. He was very tired but he couldn't remember going to bed. He could rememeber getting up but not going to bed. Wait, he could remember leaving his cave and then seeing....Uh-oh. The dwarf slowly opened his eyes, his head was very sore but at least there was no sign of the Uruk-Hai. It was cold too! As his eyes came slowly into focus he could see the white snowflakes all about the him. Borin hobbled to his feet, leaving a dwarf shape in the snow. Shaking his head to remove the snow he sneezed loudly. Slowly he began walking up to his mountain home but was stopped abruptly by a hand on his shoulder. For a split second he feared it could be the Great Orc again but when he turned around he saw a small band of people and the man with his hand on his houlder was elderly and clad in brown with a great hat on his head.
"Wha-what do you want?" Stuttered the dwarf.
"Master dwarf," started Radagast, "we wish only to be able to stay one night in your halls if you could find room for us." Borin scanned the group before turning again to the wizard,
"Aye, aye fine, I could use company on a night like this, and I can guess pretty much why your here anyway, that terrifying great big orc I'll wager!" Endereth exchanged glances with Mattius. "Come, follow me, I am Borin Iceplate, last dwarf of the Blue Mountains and I will take you to my halls"

Old 09-10-2002, 09:06 PM   #26
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Sting

As Borin led the group on, Calentoliel kept her head down. When Mattius glanced back towards her, she averted her eyes from him.
Mattius had led them to a dwarf. Calentoliel hated dwarves. No, she didn't hate them. She despised them. All her life, Calentoliel had been taught to never trust dwarves and their ways. This was the closest she had ever been to one and she did not like it one bit.
But Calentoliel did not complain. Though her strength was returning, she would not fully recover until she had a good night's rest. She did not trust this dwarf, Borin, but Mattius and Radagast seemed to, and she trusted them enough. Besides, this shelter would be safe and dry, and Calentoliel knew she would sleep well there as long as the dwarf kept his distance from her.

Calentoliel sighed. She had not known any of her companions for 24 hours, yet she already felt separated from them. She was a girl that though appeared to be an elf, did not have the personality of one. She had no true identity of herself, not even of her orgin. If she did not belong with the elves, was it the men she belonged with? No, she was even more different than them. While they desired power, she wished for the opposite. She did not belong with the hobbits, for they were too cheerful and careless, which was nothing like her. Calentoliel didn't even consider the dwarves. She was not like them and would never be. And as for the Istari? Calentoliel paused in her thoughts. Though she did not have the appearance of one, she definately had equal powers to a wizard. Calentoliel had never really thought of this, for she had never met a wizard before. Until now.
Calentoliel studied Radagast carefully as she continued walking. If she found a chance to talk to him at all, perhaps she could find out more about her identity. Wizards were supposed to be wise, after all, and surely he would know something.
Calentoliel glanced back at the mysterious woman behind her. The woman had kept to herself, hardly saying any words at all. She seemed to be hiding many secrets and Calentoliel couldn't help but wonder what they were. Before she whipped her head forward, she saw the woman stare back at her. Calentoliel shook her head in disbelief. Strangely enough, there was something in the woman's bright green eyes that Calentoliel had recognized.
Old 09-11-2002, 02:29 PM   #27
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

"Good evening to you master dwarf. I'm afraid I have not had the pleasure of our meeting before this evening. I trouble myself little with the afairs of those who can reason for themselves. It is nature that is my care and an imbalance in nature that makes me foister myself upon you at this late hour." Radagast sat upon the stool offered to him by Borin, well back from the fire he was encouraging in the grate. "Go forth and warm yourself my shadow sister," he muttered to the first of his companions. Rothalle whispered close to him.
"I cannot leave my horse in the outer cave. What of the beast?"
"He is protected. Ask no more. Listen and watch your fellow travellers. You will learn much and there is one already who sees into your soul."
"I do not like your words Radagast," she hissed back.
"You may not but they are the truth. Now go to the fire and learn with thine ears whilst you thaw."
The eyes of Calentoliel were upon them all the time they held their hushed conference. Radagast made a very deliberate nod in her direction. It was up to her to approach him. He knew who she was but it was not his business to break such news now. Better that she found out in her own good time. For now she stood in the shadows leaving a wide space between her and their dwarf host. Borin was engaged in conversation with Mattius as to the health of the hobbit girl who they had lain upon a settle by the fire and wrapped in a rough woollen blanket. She stirred a little in her stupor but made no sign that she would waken. Man and dwarf set about brewing what looked like tea. Radagast nodded and watched. He was fond of just watching. Owls learned a lot just by watching and he had a great deal of faith in all birds of prey. In truth the carniverous birds were Radagast's favourite of all the creatures he was set to care for and had not the king of the eagles own son fallen at the hands (if indeed it had hands) of the great black beast he would not have set out on his journey. Quests were not for Radagast, that was the business of Gandalf. Nevertheless he was attempting to clear his fuddled brain and use the skills he had learned in the earliest of times to sort out this blight upon Middle Earth. He knew this rag-tag group would be the key and found he knew more about them than he expected. Now all he had to do was work out what support if any he could provide for them.
He was finally disturbed from his reverie by Endereth sitting by his side and offering him a cup of hot liquid. Her hands shook still, whether from the cold or the shock of seeing the clearing he could not ascertain.
Old 09-11-2002, 02:54 PM   #28
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

"Seventeen I killed on that day my lad! Seventeen!" Borin stood up and started swaying an imaginary axe at invisible orcs. Mattius chuckled as he looked at the dwarf. Borin rarely had company to entertain and even rarer were company who wanted to hear stories of his old battles. Well, in fact, he had only taken part in one battle, the Dwarf-Orc war of Moria. With his memory somewhat strained from the actual event he boasted to Mattius of his great bravery and fighting skills. Still laughing Mattius turned to Calentoliel but she was looking towrds Radagast and his female companion who now stood up and walked closer to the fire. Calentoliel followed her movement but her face showed no sign that laughter would come from it. Rothallė had no idea what Radagast was talking about, 'go and listen to them? Silly old fool!' But she listened to them anyway, intent that she would learn nothing. Endereth sat down next to Mattius, Borin and the hobbit and said,
"Do not miss-understand master Borin's tale Mattius, that war was not a glorious one." Almost at once Borin's face became grim and sad.
"Aye, she is right my lad," the dwarf started, "a sad day indeed. So many of our kindred were killed that we had to burn their bodies. Such a pyre has never been seen on Middle-Earth and I hope never will again." There was a long silence before Endereth spoke.
"And the smoke was seen in Lothlorien and that is not forgotten." After another lengthly silence Borin could be heared weeping softly. Calentoliel turned and her face showed total surprise that a mere dwarf could have emotion such as great sadness. Mattius stood and placed his hand on Borin's shoulder and patted it. Borin wiped his tears away,
"I am sorry about that," his voice changed back more dwarf sounding, "now it is getting late and I guess you all must be tired, there is plenty of bedding around if you would like to get your heads down." Borin hurried off down his cave and shouted back up the tunnel. "And then in the morning you can perhaps tell me while your all here and even your names!" He returned with enough bedding for all but Radagast refused politely,
"No thank you Borin, I will not sleep tonight but keep a careful eye over you all."

As the embers burned slowly away the group fell to sleep one by one. Borin snored softly closest to the dying fire with the hobbit next to him. Mattius laid on his back with his hands on his chest and slept peacefully. Calentoliel huddled close to Endereth and shivered as she drifted into sleep but Rothallė stood in the corner of the cave viewing them all one by one but stopping for a long while to look at Calentoliel. Radagast was also awake but sat in the dark shadows of the cave, looking over them all.

[ September 11, 2002: Message edited by: Mattius ]
Old 09-11-2002, 05:48 PM   #29
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

Endereth kept her eyes closed as she listened to the dying fire crackling and hissing. She felt the eyes of the wizard bore into her and then pass on to watch Calentoliel.
Although she knew that they were in one of the few safe places unknown to the beast, Ender was restless and uneasy. Carefully turning over to avoid waking Calentoliel, she sighed quietly. Finally, after what seemed to be hours (and it likely was-- the fire had died completely), she heard Radagast step out of his post and retire. After she sensed no waking presence (rangers had a way with knowing who's asleep and who's not... you could say it's a job requirement), Ender slowly stood. Brushing her cloak away from her face, she looked about in the dark of night, hearing nothing but the songs of the crickets in the brush, seeing nothing but the occasional firefly. As one of them flew by, its glow illuminated Ender's vision, and she saw what was around it. Suddenly, a shadow engulfed the light, and just as quickly passed. Ender's heart stopped. No creature would dare to be alone in the forest at this time of night... unless it was the black beast.

Ender's fears worsened when she heard a scratching noise--like claws-- on top of the roof.
Old 09-12-2002, 02:46 AM   #30
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

With the fire completly dead, Borin shivered uncomfortably in his sleep and turned over. Mattius half opened one eye but stayed still. 'Must be late,' he thought. He looked over to where Radagast was but it seemed even he had finally decided to go to sleep. He closed tried to go back to sleep again but half thought something was wrong. He opened his eyes and sat up slightly on his elbows seeing the shivering figure of Calentoliel without Endereth beside her.
"Ender?" He whispered. She was stood at the foot of the cave and Mattius stood up and silently walked over to her. He placed his hand on her shoulder and she turned around.
"Whats wrong?" he asked. She didn't need to answer for Mattius could now hear the scratching of claws on the roof above them.
"Radagast, Calentoliel, everyone up now!!" Radagast was up in a flash with his mysterious companion following almost as quick. They reached the opening and heard the claws.
"Borin," the wizard started, "put our hobbit friend somewhere safe." Radagast and Rothallė stood side by side with Calentoliel just behind them. The snow was falling thickly now and it was hard to see more than a few feet from the cave's entrance.
"Get ready, hardern you hearts, we are about to face Fear." They all looked at Mattius save Endereth who understood him. Nevertheless, they all drew their weapons.

[ September 12, 2002: Message edited by: Mattius ]
Old 09-12-2002, 04:10 PM   #31
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Sting

The black beast came on them suddenly. It appeared from nowhere as a fire breathing dragon. Though it appeared to be a dragon, Calentoliel knew it was much more dangerous. She could smell the magic on it as it came closer to the group, snarling. But what terrified Calentoliel the most was that she knew what this beast was. She had seen it many times in her dreams. It was a shapeshifter, the most deadly living creature ever known. Calentoliel took a deep breath. It would take more than swords to bring this beast down.

Once the menacing creature was close enough, the group attacked. Mattius led them, and was the first to bring his sword down on the shapeshifter. The beast flung him away, showing no sign of pain. Calentoliel tried to strike her opponent with her sword, but she was too slow. The beast saw her first, and fire shot out from its mouth. Luckily, Calentoliel reacted quickly and she jumped away from the flames just in time.

The creature was powerful, and Calentoliel knew that she must do something else. She did not wish to use her magic, though. It was not wise to use it so often, and she had only just regained her strength. She didn't even know if her magic would do any damage to the shapeshifter. Her magic was powerful, but not nearly as powerful as what magic Radagast and the mysterious woman had. But Calentoliel knew that soon there would be no other choice. Eventually, she would have to use her song. But not yet, she thought.

Crying out in rage and fear, Calentoliel began to run towards the beast, ready to strike again. But this time a hand held her back.
Old 09-12-2002, 09:23 PM   #32
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

Ender gripped Calentoliel's shoulder tightly, although her own hand was shaking. "It's futile," she whispered, and even her strong nerve could not conceal her fear. "We can do nothing but keep it at bay until the daylight. Night is its hunting time. It will tire... eventually," she finished. Calentoliel looked back at Ender doubtfully, although the ranger knew she was right. But another piece of reason soon wound its way into her train of thought. It will tire, but we will tire quicker. You are not far from your doom. A chill feeling ran down her spine as she released Calentoliel.

Ender shifted her eyes to watch the beast. In her mind, it was Death, a shrouded black spirit, and she saw another form-- one more human-- behind it. As she squinted to see, horror gripped her heart. It was little Nessa. Death's hand gripped her by the shoulder, and she was pale and fearful. "Help me, Ender!" she cried, although it was heard by no other. Then she watched in utter terror as Nessa vanished from her sight. She looked back at the beast and drew her sword. She muttered under her breath, "Do not try to tempt me, savage beast. I know your ways. I have my wits about me."
She was surprised to hear a hissing voice reply: Yea, young ranger; thou hast thy wits about thee. But thou knowst not my ways. 'Tis not I you should hunt.

As Ender tried to make sense of his words, she saw that the others seemed to be listening as well. Had it spoken to them?

Before Ender could say any more, the beast seemed to vanish into thin air.

[ September 12, 2002: Message edited by: Ithaeliel ]
Old 09-13-2002, 02:17 AM   #33
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Mattius was roused eventually by Borin.
"Wake up wake up!! No time to be sleeping wake up!" With a great effort Mattius finally lifted himself to his feet. His head hurt and was cut just above his right eye. His sword was just a few feet away and he quickly reached for it and sheathed it.
"Where did it go?" He asked the dwarf impatiently.
"Dissapeared." Endereth said before Borin had a chance to answer. Mattius walked back into the cave with the ranger and spoke to her quietly so no-one else could hear them.
"We share a similar fate and both hunt for same reasons. But tell me, what did you see Endereth?" For a while she was silent but then at length spoke.
"I do not wish to say but I will guess it is not what you yourself saw."
"Nor I," replied Mattius, "for what I saw may not scare you, or at least, not scare you as much." Mattius looked over to Radagast who seemed to be observing them from the otherside of the room, perhaps listening with his wizard ears.
"What did you see?" Whispered Endereth. Mattius turned around and looked at her face, still shaking with fear, as was his.
"A great werewolf, one even in my worst nightmares I thought could not exist." Then against the entire situation Mattius smiled,
"And it still bears the cut I gave him only a few hours ago!" Endereth didn't smile back but Radagast, surprising them both, spoke from across the room,
"Even in the worst situations, there is hope my elves of Lorien." He stood up and lent on his staff. "Sleep now if you wish, I will stand guard while this night lasts and hope may come in the morning light."
"Though I doubt it not." Muttered the woman dressed in black stood behind the wizard.
Old 09-13-2002, 05:21 PM   #34
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Sting

That night, Calentoliel had a dream for the first time in several weeks.

In the dream, Calentoliel was a little girl, perhaps ten or so. She was wandering in a dark forest, but was not alone. A small, dark figure walked next to her, bringing her comfort. The two wandered, with no particular destination.
Suddenly, out of nowhere, a giant black serpent appeared, bearing its fangs. It struck out at them, and while Calentoliel's companion was able to dodge the serpent in time, she could not. Poisonous fangs sunk deep into her shoulder as she cried out in pain. After what seemed like moments, the serpent let go of Calentoliel and disappeared, satisfied at what it had done.
Calentoliel collapsed onto the ground, trying to stay conscious. Her companion ran to her aid and dragged her beside a tree for shelter. Calentoliel looked into the other's dazzling green eyes, which belonged to a frightened dark haired girl, not much older than herself. Tears streamed down the girl's face as she held Calentoliel close.
"Oh, Calie, how sorry I am," she weeped. "I was supposed to protect you and I have failed. Now you must stay here and be brave. I will go and find Radagast."
"No, don't leave me here," Calentoliel whispered. "I am afraid."
The girl smiled sadly. "I know you are. But Radagast is a powerful wizard and he will know what to do. That is why I must go to him. I promise I won't be long." And with that, the girl disappeared, leaving a trail of magic behind her.
Calentoliel waited for what seemed like hours. Finally, she could wait no longer. Darkness swam over her body and she knew of nothing more.

Calentoliel awoke in a cold sweat. She sat up, shivering in the darkness. Although she tried to take her mind off it, all she could think about was the dream. Calentoliel had this dream before, but it had been much more vague. She sat there pondering for several minutes. What could this dream possibly mean?
Calentoliel's thoughts were interrupted when she heard someone stir not far from her. She looked up and discovered that it was the mysterious woman. Though she seemed to finally have found some sleep, the woman was quite restless. Then, without warning, her green eyes opened, and Calentoliel gasped in shock. Recognition flooded her once again. It was the girl from the dream.
"Rothallė," she whispered, as if she had known that name all her life.
Old 09-14-2002, 03:46 PM   #35
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

Rothalle rose her finger to her lips and silenced Calentoliel. "Hush, I knew it was you also. I am returned. Do not ask me why nor where I have been. Be satisfied that I am returned and that I will protect you better this time."
Calentoliel opened her mouth to say something and again Rothalle stopped her. "No. Not this night."
"But..."
Radagast sighed from his observing corner. "She speaks wisdom child of the enchanted voice. Take heed of it. Choose another subject if you wish to converse together and keep it quiet. There are some within this room who would prefer to get some sleep."
"Radagast, you are a wizard, yes?" said Calentoliel.
"I am of that ancient order."
"Why did you not use your power on the beast?" she questioned him further.
"I have not the powers that you have imagined for me. I am a shepherd of creature, a steward of the land."
"I thought it was you that made it disappear." Rothalle gasped.
"No, that was another in this room although I cannot tell whom."
"Or will not tell," Rothalle snapped.
"What did you see when you looked upon the beast?" Calentoliel asked.
"My greatest fear."
"Which is?" she pressed him further.
"Myself."
The two girls stared at their elderly companion in disbelief. He spoke in riddles and then was so direct. They ached to question him further but at that moment Borin stirred.
"Awake already ladies? Goodness. I see a little light below the door. I think we should wake Mattius." The conversation of the dark was over.
Old 09-15-2002, 03:43 PM   #36
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Mattius was awaken by Borin who shook him quite hard. The dwarf was still scared even though the night had passed.
"Okay okay I'm awake!" Laughed Mattius. He saw Borin approaching the sleeping Endereth and stopped him before he shook her too. "Allow me master dwarf." With that he kneeled next to Endereth and spoke in the ancient High Tongue of the elves that he had been taught in Lorien. He knew Endereth would understand it. "Awake child of Lothlorien, Ranger of the North, Elf of the Noldor. Awake and be ready for the new day!" Almost immdiatly the eyes of Endereth opened and Mattius smiled and stood up.
"It has been long since I have heard words such as those. Not since..." Endereth trailed off thinking of her lost companions. Radagast spoke before anyone could question her.
"Come now, let us to breakfast while we can, for today will be a busy day." The wizard walked over to Borin who was starting the fire again. He looked down at the hobbit still sleeping. Mattius stood next to him.
"What do you think my friend?" Asked Radagast. Mattius stared intently at the face of the hobbit, her eyes closed so tightly that her face was scrunched up.
"I think today she should wake but I cannot be certain, I have only seen this once before."
"Yet hobbits are extremly resiliant my friend, let us not forget Frodo Baggins and the Ring of Power!"

The group sat and ate the small breakfast in silence. The thought of the Beast had affected them all in different ways. Mattius and Endereth particualry noticed that Calentoliel seemed changed from the night before. Quieter and darker, yet more powerful, if that could be possible, and stronger. Their spirits were low save perhaps Mattius', who began telling the story to Borin of how he cut the face of the Beast of Fear.
"Whack whack! I pushed away its claws!" Borin sat with his mouth ajar. "Then THUD! I head butted the thing and then I slashed across its face like this!" What followed was Mattius waving his arms about in all directions and Borin questioning him, how? where? really? At length Mattius sat down and finished his breakfast.

After finishing their rather rushed meal they prepared to leave. Surprisngly to Mattius Borin wished to stay in his mountain home. The dwarf had seen enough action to last him a life time and only wished to see peace.
"So be it my good dwarf!" Spoke Radagast. "We each thank you for your hospitility and are in your debt!" Radagast led them out of the cave onto the gleaming white snow. It was bitterly cold but with blue sky. The prints of the beast were all around them facing different ways. Mattius' mood changed now. He began to realise that this was his greatest chance to defeat the beast since he began his hunt. His parents had been killed and perhaps soon he would be able to act out his revenge. He tightened his cape around him and looked at Endereth who he thought would be thinking a similar thing. Rothalle sat on her horse with the hobbit who was still unconcious. Calentoliel stood staring at her.

Endereth checked the prints on the floor. Being a Ranger she would be able to track the beast in any season.
"Its undoubtly heading eastward," she said after looking about for a while, "but I don't know why."
"Radagast?" asked Calentoliel.
"I do not know why the thing would head that way but we must make haste for eastward lies the Shire, the land of Hobbits." The groups heart's sank furthur, knowing that the Beast would have had a massive head start on them. Mattius hardened himself and stepped foward crunching the virgin snow.
"Then lets go."

[ April 13, 2003: Message edited by: Mattius ]
Old 09-15-2002, 07:43 PM   #37
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Sting

They walked for many miles, and did not stop until mid-afternoon for a brief rest. Mattius and Endereth sat down together and began to talk. Rothalle sat not far away with the sleeping hobbit girl lying by her side. Calentoliel went to join them, but Radagast held her back.
"Come, child. I must speak with you," he said, leading her away from the others. Calentoliel followed obediently.

Once they were far enough from the others, Radagast stopped and looked at Calentoliel.
"When we reach the beast, do you know what you must do?" he asked.
Calentoliel hesitated in disappointment. He wanted her to use her magic.
"I-I can't," she stuttered. "The beast is too powerful. My song will not destroy it."
Radagast sighed. "Unfortunately, that is true. The shapeshifter has more magic than any of us have ever had. You cannot destroy it, but you can at least weaken it."
Calentoliel shook her head. "I have only just recovered from the last time I used my magic. If I use it again, surely I will collapse in exhaustion. I do not wish to become a burden as the young hobbit girl is!"
"You do not realize how powerful you really are, child. You must have faith in yourself. If you do, you will not tire."
"But-"
"Hush, child," Radagast interrupted. "Do not be afraid to use your song. Rothalle and I will use our magic when it is needed, and you will use yours. Who knows, you may surprise yourself."
Calentoliel stared at him in confusion.
"Come now," he continued. "Let us join the others before we continue our trail." Radagast began to walk away.
"Wait!" Calentoliel cried out.
Radagast turned around.
"About Rothalle- how did I come to know her?" she asked. "I feel so connected to her. She's more than just a protector, isn't she?"
Radagast stared at Calentoliel, but gave no response.
"And how about you, Radagast?" she continued. "I feel that I have known before, also. Why is that?"
Calentoliel waited for several minutes before she got a response, and it was one that she did not wish to hear.
"You are not yet ready for those answers, Calentoliel," he said calmly. "You must wait. Wait, and soon enough the time will come when the answers will reveal themself."
And at that, Radagast walked away, leaving Calentoliel scratching her head in bewilderment.

[ September 16, 2002: Message edited by: Brinniel ]
Old 09-16-2002, 01:56 PM   #38
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

It was to Rothalle, his longest known companion in this journey that Radagast headed.
"How fairs our halfling charge my shadow sister?" He asked of her.
"Fair to middling Radagast. Is there anything you can do to help?" she asked of him in return.
He knelt down in the snow at the side of the hobbit girl, wrapped in a blanket sacrificed by Borin before they left his cave. Tenderly the old wizard brushed her long curls away from her face and inspected it. He placed his hand upon her brow like a mother with a sickly infant and sighed deeply. "The warmth of the sun and the company of elves will do her much good. Come daughter of the Shire, nymph of the Brandywine. I feel your strength grows in our care. She will survive Rothalle with naught but our protection to assist her."

He rose to his feet making a great show of heaving and creaking till he was upright once more. He looked at those assembled eating a little bread and dried meat from their packs and taking it in turns to sip from the canteen that Mattius passed around. Radagast decided to pass on his feelings about the hobbitess' progress to their young leader.

Mattius was glad to hear the wizard's prognosis and like Rothalle asked why the wizard was unable to help himself. Radagast sighed at the question being asked of him again. "So many questions you all ask of me. I no not the answers, why do you think I wander hither with you? I seek answers to riddles, puzzles and paradoxes. I need to set my mind at rest. A thousand things trouble me and I will not cross the sea until they are solved. All beasts must be in their order before I leave these shores and all I know at present is that the key to all is in the hands of children." He made a sound of patience lost and began to stomp down the hill. "Come on Mattius, Man-Elf lead your fellows. You have a destiny to fill, as have we all."

They were forced to bundle themselves after him at some speed to keep up. Ender assisted Rothalle with the unconcious hobbit back into the saddle who brought of the rear of the westerly travelling line.

[ September 16, 2002: Message edited by: Auriel Haevasawen ]
Old 09-16-2002, 03:06 PM   #39
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

The sun was now over head and the snow on the ground began to melt a little. Endereth led the company with Mattius. Being a Ranger she had almost instinctive tracking ability. The many hours of marching had led them to the hilly region of the Tower Hills. Rothalle called them all to say that the hobbit was starting to stir somewhat. They halted on the northside of the hills. They were around a days march from the Shire and they all knew that by then it may be too late.

Rothalle and Radagast tended to the hobbit while Endereth, Calentoliel and Mattius sat a few feet away.
"Mattius," Endereth started dying to know the answer to a question that had been burning inside her for the whole day, "why do you call yourself 'Man-Elf' and Child of Lorien but Man of Gondor'?" For a few moments he was silent and all that could be heard was Radagast and Rothalle talking in whispers a few feet away. He finally spoke,
"It is a painful story, probably just as bad as your own." Mattius looked long at Endereth.
"You do not need to tell it then, if you do not wish." The Noldorian elf spoke.
"Well," Mattius began, "I suppose we may be travelling together for some time and you must both learn my history at some point or other so I will tell you."
"Okay then, if your sure," said Calentoliel. Mattius took a swig of his water and screwed on the top. He wrapped his cloak tighter, the sun was out but it was bitterly cold.
"It began ten years before the War of the Ring. In that year I was born in the Golden Woods of Lothlorien." Endereth smiled at hearing the name of her home. "On the first anniversairy of my birth my parents were sent by the Lady Galadriel to Rivendell with a message for Elrond. My parents wished to take me with them to show their new child to the elves of Rivendell and, of course, Master Elrond himself." Mattius tightened his cloak more. "But on the High Pass of the Misty Mountains they were attacked. Killed. My father fought bravely but fell protecting his child. Their bodies feel from the mountain road to the rocky bottom and were never found." He paused for a moment to collect himself. "By chance there were two more people taking that pass that day; young couple from Bree were moving to Minas Tirith. They saw," at this point Mattius looked at the two elves, "the Beast." Mattius bowed his head again before continuing. "They found me and took me for their own. They had no children and I later found out that they could not by some witch-craft. I was raised in Gondor as a normal boy would be, never told of my true past." Endereth and Calentoliel were beginning to understand now. "When I was ten years old Sauron unleashed his army on the White City and both my mother and father went to war. I was forbidden by my father but I managed to escape and fought on the fields. I saw terible things there that day. Orcs, Ringwraiths and worst of all I saw my parents killed. I somehow survived and after the battle a small band of elves from Lorien found me un-concious and near death. They took me to Lorien and soon discovered who I really was. I was ordered to live in the woods till I was eighteen and then I could choose to live how I wished. Of course I enjoyed it at first but after Galadriel left to cross the sea, the days began to wear on and I longed for the openess of Middle Earth. When I was finally eighteen and allowed to leave I dedicated my life to find the thing that had killed my true Elvish parents. I found it in the Misty Mountains not far from where it killed my parents. The vile thing was sleeping contnet, a black mass of horror snoring in the cracks of rock. It fled at the sight of my face, and my father's sword Angmarth; Iron Doom. I have been chasing it for almost a year now but it seems it has re-found its strength and now wants to be the hunter itself." Mattius sat back hoping his quick life story had made as much sense as possible to the two elves. Endereth and Calentoliel were most surprised that Mattius had showed next to no signs of emotion. Endereth knew herself that if she had been telling her own story of how she came to be hunting the beast she would have broken down.
"Your nineteen years have seen much Mattius and you have answered many of my questions young man." Mattius began to speak but was cut off by a bright young hobbit voice piping a few feet away.
"I'm so hungry!"
"It seems our little hobbit friend has finally woken up!" Spoke Radagast.

[ September 16, 2002: Message edited by: Mattius ]
Old 09-16-2002, 05:42 PM   #40
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dūm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

Faye rubbed her bright green eyes. She looked around at the company still a little blurry from the deep sleep that she had fallen into.'What happened?' she asked, her voice a little scratchy.'You fell into a deep sleep from the beast that we seek out.' said Rothallle's voice from behind Faye. Faye turned and looked up at Rothalle and smiled.'How did the beast make me fall asleep?'
'You peered into its eyes for too long. When that happens, you fall under its spell.'
'Oh.' said Faye 'The only thing I remember was Mattius saving me from the beast and then everything went black. And here I am, on a quest.' Faye looked around at the company and smiled. 'Uugh.' Faye mounded holding her stomach. 'What is it?' ask Rothalle. 'Hungry!' cried Faye. Rothalle searched through her bag for some food. Out she pulled a bluebarry muffin. 'MUFFIN!' cried Faye and began to stuff her face into the muffin, almost as if she was inhaleing it.