The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2006, 07:06 PM   #481
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
But my dear Bb, old bean, I was simply trying to avoid offending those delicate vegetarian sensibilities of which you spoke. Sacred sausages would not do at all.

Sacre bleu!
Tabernac! Whimpeys doesn't serve veggie burgers and soya sausages? Are we left then with the sacred Baldrick?
Old 05-16-2006, 08:05 PM   #482
Elu Ancalime
Shade of Carn Dűm

Elu Ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elu Ancalime
++ Smith of Wootton Major

The one whom I owe allegence to has called me....oathkeeper, I am!

I think Tolkien might have been bored when he was righting this one, and ripped off The Adventure of Link, Halo (Master Cook!?) and Feast of Good Children is definetly straight from Santa Claus' early ideas and experiments. Let's git rid of the (as we say in the 'Souf',) "bo-bo brand.
________
Glass bubblers

Last edited by Elu Ancalime; 03-03-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Elu Ancalime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:54 PM   #483
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

++ Smith

Mainly to prevent a Smith/Giles showdown because that would be a horrible groaner.

And should Smith go I, at the very least, will have SpM's vote against Long-Name tomorrow...
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:11 PM   #484
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
++Gram

A dog on a medieval farm is certain not to have all of the proper shots. God knows what horrible diseases the animal carries. I wouldn't be surprised if half the contestants have rabies by now.
Alcarillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:07 PM   #485
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril End of Day the Thirty-Fourth

It was a banger of a day -- reinforcements were summoned on both sides, and the mod actually had to write the votes down instead of counting them on her fingers. Like, work.

Smith of Wootton Major: 9 votes

Gram: 8 votes

Queen of Faerie: 1 vote

And so, as Sauce gave a delirious whoop for joy, Smith was trussed up like a chicken and given a sound drubbing with saucepans, frying pans, soup pans, and those fun leather whips with the ball bearings and sharp tacks woven in. He fell to the ground, whimpering, "I just wanted to eat cake," before he bled out his life upon the Watchers Rock. His heart was removed and used for some vile purpose that involved hula dancing and ritual cannibalism.

Ang leered nastily at the weeping widow, Nell, and Smith's supporters gnashed their teeth, vowing revenge.

Day the Thirty-Fifth finds 8 contestants remaining:

Those Who Belong to Faerie

Goldberry
Alf the Prentice, King of Faerie
Queen of Faerie
Chrysophylax Dives

Those Who Don't

Ćgidius Ahenobarbus Julius Agricola de Hammo (Farmer Giles of Ham)
Gram, his dog
The Parson
Nell
Old 05-17-2006, 12:09 AM   #486
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Excellent. Now let's hang that unpleasant dog...

++GRAM adding insult to injury mode
Old 05-17-2006, 12:38 AM   #487
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
Excellent. Now let's hang that unpleasant dog...

++GRAM adding insult to injury mode
Gram?

Fie on you, Anguirel, to abandon so soon your standings of old.

I who played Kingmaker yesterday shall try my hand at it again. To the vote of Nell, I summon thee!

++ Nell

If nothing else, watching the broken remnants of the Pro-Smith party make a ruckus of defending his widow should be interesting.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:29 AM   #488
tom bombariffic
Wight

tom bombariffic has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

you won't make me give up that easily.

++ QUEEN OF FAERIE

Right, you can all see that I personally don't like her. But think about it! She's manipulating, a temptress, practically a kidnapper. A very bad influence.

There's a word for people like that. Jailbait.

Do the right thing.

bombariffic
Old 05-17-2006, 03:54 AM   #489
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
I told you that Diamond would kill Smith if he got voted off.

Now, what's the best way to take my revenge?
Old 05-17-2006, 04:20 AM   #490
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Mercy! Mercenaries upon us! Where did all the voters come from so suddenly?

Fie upon not-so-bombariffic tom - blaming the woman for the man's situation is an excuse that goes all the way back to the Garden of Eden!

Now, which choice to make today - I could continue voting for Gram, thereby risking being considered boring...

Nell and the Parson are the other least important characters...

As the latter said, "A little closer inspection will be required."
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:29 AM   #491
tom bombariffic
Wight

Boots

well as a woman you ought to be perfectly aware of your potential for influence and the immorality of abusing it.

Poor little smith, he didn't know what had hit him.

Das Uber-Bombariffic Tom
Old 05-17-2006, 04:32 AM   #492
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Huh?? Only the person doing something is responsible for his actions, no one else!

You overestimate my potential.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 05-17-2006, 05:22 AM   #493
tom bombariffic
Wight

Boots

You're making it very hard for me to keep mistrusting the queen!

please let me sit at home and nurse my dislike in peace. Stop being so persuasive, you're like the queen...so I suppose that means I'm to blame...

I'm getting confused now. Think I need to sit down and eat a sandwich.

bombariffic
Old 05-17-2006, 06:41 AM   #494
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

For reasons that I shall for the moment conceal I will not be party to the eviction of Nell.

However I do agree that, purely because of the surfeit yesterday, my ailurophile attack on Gram lacks novelty.

--GRAM, ++THE PARSON

I've detested this religious bigot ever since he stirred up the mob against the unfortunate Persian Artaxerxes...
Old 05-17-2006, 07:09 AM   #495
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Hehe. I knew that this would start to become interesting once Smith was knocked out. The outcome of the show is now a lot less certain and a number of interesting issues are raised. Will the Smithsonians coalesce around a single alternative candidate or will they be reduced to rancour and petty squabbling without their sacred (veggie) sausage to rally round? How will the opposing factions and the independents react? Will the Alliance of DOOM put in a return appearance? Will anyone ever understand what Ang is trying to achieve? Will Celuien be avenged? Does bombariffic's deep-seated dislike of the Faerie Queen stem from an unfortunate episode in his childhood? All these quesions and more will be answered over the coming days. And so the show is beginning to catch the vewing public's imagination once more. I shall be rendering a modest fee for saving the show in due course, Diamond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celuien
Now, what's the best way to take my revenge?
There isn't one, as far as I am concerned, I am afraid. You see, that's the beauty of not having a favoured candidate. My only aim was to evict Smith, so I'm happy whatever the outcome now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty
Mercy! Mercenaries upon us! Where did all the voters come from so suddenly?
Aha! Nobody expects the Alliance of DOOM! Our chief weapon is surprise ... surprise and fear ... fear and surprise ... Our two weapons are fear and surprise ... and ruthless efficiency ... etc etc

Sorry, but desperate times called for desperate measures. And I see that the so-called League of Extraordinary Downers was called upon too. Happily, the Alliance prevailed once more.

As for my vote, well I must honour my pledge to The Only Real Estel (thanks, by the way, TORE ):

+ + Ćgidius Ahenobarbus Julius Agricola de Hammo

I quite like the old chap, but a promise is a promise. And title characters always make fun evictees. Oh yeah, and he has an improbably long and inexcusably Latin name.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:36 AM   #496
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Tuor of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Aha! Nobody expects the Alliance of DOOM! Our chief weapon is surprise ... surprise and fear ... fear and surprise ... Our two weapons are fear and surprise ... and ruthless efficiency ...
And an almost fanatical devotion to the pope!

And for any who oppose the eviction of
+ + Ćgidius Ahenobarbus Julius Agricola de Hammo (Farmer Giles of Ham)

Put them on the rack and give the rack a turn!!!
Hahahahahahaha!
Old 05-17-2006, 08:54 AM   #497
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
There isn't one, as far as I am concerned, I am afraid. You see, that's the beauty of not having a favoured candidate. My only aim was to evict Smith, so I'm happy whatever the outcome now.
Unfortunately for me, I think that's entirely true. My only method against you is to oppose any campaign you start, which isn't all that satisfying. So I won't bother.

Now Anguirel, who was also a culprit in Smith's demise, is more likely to be irritated by any future scheming. I think I'll focus my efforts on thwarting him.

Save The Parson!

++ Ćgidius Ahenobarbus Julius Agricola de Hammo (Farmer Giles of Ham)

How in Middle-earth has this anakronism wielding imposter survived so long?
Old 05-17-2006, 09:10 AM   #498
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond18
...before he bled out his life upon the Watchers Rock
Hey! That's my tale!

Quote:
Smith's supporters gnashed their teeth, vowing revenge.
Indeed. You will pay.

++ Giles

Let's whip the boy, the usurper, the liar and thief. Not to mention his smarts was in his gut, seat, and hand instead of his head.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:14 AM   #499
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Unlike some, I do not jealously cling onto hegemony and success, attempting a monopoly of my candidates.

Lady Celuien, you have my full support. However, I would appreciate a movement against the turbulent priest tomorrow.

--THE PARSON, ++FARMER GILES OF HAM
Old 05-17-2006, 09:18 AM   #500
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
Hey! That's my tale!
Well, are you not Smith?

Quote:
Will anyone ever understand what Ang is trying to achieve?
I know exactly why Ang won't vote for Nell anymore... and it makes me giggle. The boy is so easy to mess with.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:34 AM   #501
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Let's wait for things to progress to see who's been messed with, alright, almighty Moddess?
Old 05-17-2006, 09:45 AM   #502
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Oooooookay. I predict you'll be voting for Chrys eventually, purely to tick me off. Prove me wrong.

Forgot to reply to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpM
I shall be rendering a modest fee for saving the show in due course, Diamond.
Oh do ye, now? So where's MY payment for that lovely death of Smith you were so looking forward to?
Old 05-17-2006, 10:19 AM   #503
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

How monotonously predictable the voting is today! A few scattered alternatives, and already a majority for Giles. Well, just to do "something completely different", I shall vote for someone who has not been mentioned today:

++Alf Prentice, King of Faerie
Old 05-17-2006, 11:01 AM   #504
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty
How monotonously predictable the voting is today!

The difference, however, is that these votes have all been prompted by different motives. I am honouring the pledge I made yesterday, Tuor has always had it in for Giles, Celuien thinks she's avenging herself on Ang, Elempi is just lashing out and Ang ... well, who knows what Ang is up to?

On prior days, the majority vote has generally been directed towards a single purpose: SOS (save our Smith).

It all bodes marvellously well for forthcoming days and, indeed, the final. And how wonderful the prospect of eliminating the last surviving title character is.

(Btw Di, Ang likes Dragons. Though whether he considers Chrys a "proper" Dragon, I know not. For my own part, I merely question his presence in the Faerie team. He was far too practical and pragmatic a Dragon to be a true Faerie creature. Faerie by birth maybe, but not be nature. )
Old 05-17-2006, 11:22 AM   #505
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

My Faerie/Not-Faerie classifications are entirely random and based on whims. And a desire to have to two tribes of equal number.

I know Ang likes dragons, that's why a vote for Chrys would merely be for spite.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:56 PM   #506
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond18
So where's MY payment for that lovely death of Smith you were so looking forward to?
Lovely? Your tastes are indeed questionable. But you have given me an idea for my revenge.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:41 PM   #507
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
Lady Celuien, you have my full support. However, I would appreciate a movement against the turbulent priest tomorrow.
What, you vote for my death, then ask for my support? I find that a difficult option to accept. Very difficult. I'm afraid I won't be able to join you tomorrow unless I am forced to out of necessity.

I'm not telling what that situation would comprise that necessity.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:53 PM   #508
tom bombariffic
Wight

Boots

childhood schmildhood, I have my reasons. And I will not be subject to any more vile speculation thank you very much.

And Estelyn, voting for the KING OF FAERIE? What did he do wrong? Methinks you're just being confrontational. Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry-a-dillo.

I stand by my choice. And when she finally goes, the satisfaction will be all the sweeter.

bombariffic
Old 05-17-2006, 04:14 PM   #509
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

++ Ćgidius Ahenobarbus Julius Agricola de Hammo (Farmer Giles of Ham)

If I've said it once (which I have) I've said it a thousand times (which I also have), I'll not waste space & time repeating myself now.

Thanks to SpM for actually honoring his agreement (hey, this is Survivor, remember ). Not that he doesn't have time to change it still...
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:45 PM   #510
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORE
Thanks to SpM for actually honoring his agreement ...
You mean you expected me not to ...

Ah well, in that case ...

No. I'll stick with my vote. While I like Giles as a character and find his tale to be the best of the Minors, I prefer to vote in a way which enlivens the game than purely according to my tastes. It amuses me to see most of the major minor characters go down and I think it is likely to make for a more interesting finale.

Besides, it doesn't look like it would make much difference now.

And I was truly grateful for your vote yesterday.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:06 PM   #511
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Pipe It doesn't do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations.

My! Someone I haven't yet voted for. I must correct this oversight. Or, in the immortal words of many a WWII submarine adventure: dive, dive, dive!

+ + Chrysophylax Dives
Old 05-17-2006, 10:00 PM   #512
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
Now's my chance!

Down with the Latin-naméd blunderbuss-brandisher!

++Ćgidius Ahenobarbus Julius Agricola de Hammo (Farmer Giles of Ham)

After all those days of voting for him, I finally get to see his head on the chopping block...
Alcarillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:10 PM   #513
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
What a deadly boring day...

Say what you like, man of many Saucepans, but this blind coalition of Giles-voters are dead boring. Where is the suspence in a predetermined race?

Sauce at least has a good excuse... but most of you? Pathetic.

Alas, but there is virtually nobody to join with to form even an attempt at a counter-bandwaggon. But I shall try- for the sake of interest.

-- Nell, ++ Alf, King of Faerie

I too have memories of Alien Alf- and I was an easily scared child at the time...
Old 05-17-2006, 10:58 PM   #514
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Hello!

Just thought I'd jump in to join the bandwagon!

++Ćgidius Ahenobarbus Julius Agricola de Hammo (Farmer Giles of Ham)

++And your little dog, too! ( )

Oh, guess I can't do that.

--his little dog, Gram

I best stick around; got to make sure Bęthberry doesn't off my personal favorite!
Old 05-17-2006, 11:15 PM   #515
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril End of Day the Thirty-Fifth

Ćgidius Ahenobarbus Julius Agricola de Hammo (Farmer Giles of Ham) - 8 votes

Alf the Prentice, King of Faerie: 1 vote

Queen of Faerie: 1 vote

Chrysophylax Dives: 1 vote

And so, The Only Real Estel gleefully shot Giles with his own blunderbuss. However, the wound was not fatal, so Alcarillo assigned him to Mordor for anakronistic usage of said blunderbuss. (Giles, not TORE.)

Day the Thirty-Sixth finds 7 contestants remaining:

Also, I've rearranged the tribes on a whim:

The Dudes:

Alf the Prentice, King of Faerie
The Parson

The Chicks:

Goldberry
Queen of Faerie
Nell

The Beasties:

Gram
Chrysophylax Dives
Old 05-18-2006, 12:21 AM   #516
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Okay, the "chicks" really do need culling. Let's even out this field a little...

And the dullest of the lot is clearly Nell.

++ Nell

Once again into the breech....
Old 05-18-2006, 03:47 AM   #517
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

++ Chrysophylax Dives, the hypocritical dragon.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:24 AM   #518
tom bombariffic
Wight

Boots

In the interests of protecting the lovely little dragony waggony, I'll have a crack at

++Nell

what? you didn't really think I was going to vote for the queen of Faerie again did you? Wouldn't want to irk fraulein estelyn any more than I have been.

bombariffic
Old 05-18-2006, 05:29 AM   #519
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

++THE PARSON

A disgrace that this pedantic fundamentalist now represents 50% of the male population.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:40 AM   #520
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Tuor of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
A difficult choice between a (can he even be
called a beastie) Gram) and the preacher-----ah

+ + The Parson

since rumor has it he was seen smirking at Chrysophylax Dives
and as the proverb goes: "Never laugh at live dragons."

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin; 05-18-2006 at 05:44 AM.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote