The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-25-2008, 12:26 PM   #41
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Gandalf pondered at what was said.

"my friends... this ordeal we has only begun, we may have to survive many hardships in order for our goal to persist."

Gandalf looked around the faces of the fellowship.

"the first couple of days will be hard, we may purge our company of the traitors quickly, or we lose some friends. I for one believe we must hear all voices before acting rashily. please note that as the days go by, i will be forced to act and i will deliver justice to the traitors when it is due, but for now i must sit and wait."

Gandalf sighed as he leaned on his staff.

"you ask for my advice, this is it: do not act hastily. consider the options at first. that is all i can say in the matter till our roles are revealed."

"i will not accuse today, i have my suspicions already, but i will not reveal them till next day perhaps."

Gandalf then pulled out his pipe and began smoking some of his pipe-weed.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:27 PM   #42
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin
Galadriel, my fair lady, you give advice only when spoken to and this is disturbing. Tell us more of your say on the matter, it seems that you hide more than you tell, but please hurry, the night grows ever nearer."
"In a way I can agree with master Dain, it would comfort my thoughts to hear more from the Lady of Lorien, especially on the nature of our fair Lobelia's words and that of others. I hope I am not asking too much from the fair Altáriel."

Radagast turned swiftly to hear Olorin's words, whatever they may be. Sometimes he wondered if things had been any different, or better possibly, if Olorin had been head of the Order. Though, he chased these thoughts away and remembered that greatness was made and not given.

He bowed shortly in a nod of respect to Gandalf's counciling words, and could only wish others might share the same hope.

" Thank you Olorin, I can only hope the same."

He finally rested and thought more on the words shared recently as he drank a little from a waterskin, and fed some of the birds who had been following faithfully through the day. He couldn't help but look up at the Mountain again and think of its treacherous pass, but he resumed his thoughts to here and now.

Thank you also, my feathered friends for your company as well. Though, I would never wish you to follow me through the Mountains, go instead and keep my work and thought amoung your kin while I'm away. Do not worry though, if ever there is trouble for the Company, in our greatest need I can only ask for Gwaihir and his strength.

Edit: x-posted with Gandalf and Dain.

Last edited by THE Ka; 03-25-2008 at 12:40 PM.
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:30 PM   #43
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
"Old minds
create limping rhymes,
my dear Eomer of Rohan...
That's sad but true,
so bad and nothing new",

Tom hummed more to himself than to others who had already passed a long way before him. But somehow he had heard the few words made while he slept.

"Now this sure is the quietest company I've had since the early days... and we'd need to talk if the traitors are to be found."

He rised up and straightened his colourful clothes before picking his stuff.

"But we should not talk just anything." He murmured while he gathered the last objects he possessed. "Digging ourselves into the creatures we are and only coming up with ideas that we should do in everyday life or which are expected from us just aren't good enough at this moment. If you men or elves doubt the Uruk please give a reason to it, if you Uruk want someone's blood give us a reason for it... gnarl-gnarl-gnarl... Uh-oh... you will get older and grumpier one day too and then you will see that stereotypes do not help you in trouble and that maintaining a jolly face is a burden indeed..."

Tom looked unexpectedly energetic with his concerns at the moment - or was it just that he was missing his wine-skin still?

"Ahh... there you are... Now where was I? Nothing seems to be wrong after all! A good skin of wine, beautiful hollies around and a whole forest of flowers around! Hey dol! Merry dol! Ring a dong dillo!"

Suddenly he froze as a thought entered his mind concerning the fellowship.

"If someone needs to be sent back from this company let it be one who has not bothered to open his mind as yet. And with opening one's mind I mean actually saying something out of what one could conveniently hide behind - the mask of everyday expectations - or just stayed away from discussions."

Slowly he shook his head as he felt he had somehow been very much un-Tom-Bombadillish. You're getting old Tom, really old. Maybe you should just turn back home to Goldberry. This adventure is not doing good for you...

Happily he realised just then that there was a bunch of really beautiful harebells only a few yards away from him towards the way the other companions had walked... and then another bunch a bit more forwards... and another after that...

"Hey dol! Merry dol! Hey-ho-hey! Ring-a-ding-a-delly!
Here go the harebells, ding-dong along, to my Goldberry!"
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:33 PM   #44
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
It appeared to Galadriel that the quest was about to take an ugly turn and soon she would have to make some desitions that would be necisary to make, but very risky.

She spoke out loud "Soon decistions will have to be made and soon we shall receive answers, be they good or bad"

She looked at her companions before continuing "Now the song The Eldest sang just before was as honey to my ear and I could not have sung it better my self"

Galadriel the directed her attention towards to Eomer "It would not be the first time that the assistans of Lothlorien have gone unoticed by the people of Rohan, but I shall not hold this against you. Your words seem to have no malice behind them and I can understand that you wish for me to talk more, but I only talk when I have things worth saying"

Galadriel looked to Gandalf for she must desired to hear his view on things, but not sound came from his lips.
"I am most grieved by the absense of Gandalf's advice as I have great belife in his wisdom, absent could be a sign of treachery, but I do not belive that is the case with him."

All fell into silence minutes pasted before the silence was broken, again it was Galadriel who spoke. Her face showed clear signs of remorse, she was not happy about what she had to do.
"I will have to make my desition now as delaying this matter could cloud my mind, Halbarad has seemingly tried to stir up trouble by bringing up the question of who should be ringbearer. This even though it was already decided well in advance."

++Halbarad

Crossposted with Dain and everybody since

Last edited by Rune Son of Bjarne; 03-25-2008 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Cross posting
Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:51 PM   #45
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
"For long I have held your wisdom in reverence and your counsels in my heart, Mithrandir, but now my there's a shadow of doubt on my mind." Gildor paced around rather then walked forward. "Doubtlessly one of the Wise has reasons for his actions, reasons that even we elder Children of Ilúvatar can not see. Yet I do not see a reason to withholding one's suspicions, especially as they are those of one of the Maiar, and a person doing such summons old memories of the servants of the Enemy. Yet where would we be, what would be our efforts, if Mithrandir himself had turned from the path of wisdom and fool's hope? My heart dreads and thus I restrain myself from getting too troubled over this so early." A merry glint appeared to Gildor's eyes. Or maybe the halfling weed has just clouded his judgement for a while, he thought, but knew better than to say it aloud.

Then he burst to a sudden laugh, remembering the recent words of the King of Naugrim. "Most venerable King Ironfoot", he said, "I do understand it is difficult for a Dwarf to tell one Elf from the another, or to determine their genders, but let me say this: I am most definitely male.

And as to your comment on my suspicions of you and the ranger Halbarad, they are simply for you being so quick to agree with the hasty accusations of others. It certainly does not reassure me of your innocence."

edit: xed with the Friend of Birds, the Eldest and the Lady of Light
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:56 PM   #46
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Halbarad bowed his head.

"My lady Galadriel, have I said aught concerning the Ringbearer since our journey began? Before we left Rivendell, I made it clear that I did not wish this burden on myself, and suggested that the Ring remain with a hobbit. But no strife have I sought to stir up. Nonetheless, the regard that I hold you in, lady, is such that I shall not contend with you on this; only consider carefully, that your wisdom may not cloud your common sense."

EDIT: Crossed with Gildor
Old 03-25-2008, 12:57 PM   #47
Gil-Galad

"my dear Gildor, i advise you not to over stretch your accusations. My goal in this fellowship is to be the middle point, to bring understanding to the table and hopefully save the death of an innocent. If is state who i believe to be the traitors, then i fear that if i am wrong that it will hurt us and bring about the doom on myself as well."

Gandalf crossed over and should in front of Gildor.

"And i will let you know that you were not in my list of traitors, so do not give me reasons to change my mind about you."

Gandalf then looked over to Galadriel

"Fair lady, Halbarad is indeed on my list as i share the same assumptions with you. i will not vote as of yet, i must decide if i must or simply abstain in this matter"

xed: with Halbarad
Old 03-25-2008, 01:00 PM   #48
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
"Gildor, it is as you say. The guilty are often quick to support the accusers of the innocent."

EDIT: Crossed with Gandalf
Old 03-25-2008, 01:02 PM   #49
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
"As I must be away, I shall make this quick. I would not accuse a ranger on this first stage of the journey, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt. The orc gets no such license."

++ Uglúk
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:03 PM   #50
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
"I apologize for my mistake master Gildor," Dáin said, "Indeed you might find it harder to distinguish women of our folk from our men." Dáin laughed heartily for awhile.

"I agree with you Gildor," he said again, "Gandalf, we must hear your council. I consider you among the wisest of our company and to delay with your judgement would be folly. Please speak to us about your suspicions, or at least tell us why you stay quite."

"Also, after hearing the words of Galadriel I must ask Halbarad to defend himself against the accusation and give us his say in it."

EDIT:
X'd with Halbarad and everyone since.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:06 PM   #51
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber View Post
"As I must be away, I shall make this quick. I would not accuse a ranger on this first stage of the journey, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt. The orc gets no such license."

++ Uglúk
"Please master elf," Dáin said in great alarm, "Your vote is justifiable in your own mind, but not to ours. Give us your reason so that we may judge for ourselves, it appears as if madness is taking us all!"
Old 03-25-2008, 01:07 PM   #52
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Lobelia looked sulky. She wasn't in a talkative mood today, and she had a feeling she was once again disdained - people didn't trust her being a capable Ring-bearer. What angered her was that Bilbo had already managed to mislead some of her companions. How long will he continue spoiling my life?

She smiled at Radagast. "I am glad to see that not everyone's eyes are veiled by prejudice. But your own thoughts are hidden from me, and when you speak I can only hear birds singing and bees humming."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbarad
"Perhaps I should be more suspicious of those who have said little to nothing at all. In truth, silence is a better cover than speaking, for the talker draws attention to himself, whereas the silent will be considered wise."
Lobelia turned to point at Halbarad with her umbrella. "Yes, indeed! When someone points out the flaw in your logic, this is what you do! Everybody knows it is somewhat acceptable to accuse those who are silent, but I have never before seen this blunt a change! You are trying to hide by suspecting the silent, aren't you? Guess what I say to that? Traitor!"

She paused and drew breath. It was long since she had had a chance to shout at someone properly. Had she done it after Lotho had grown up? Yes - several times, actually, now that she came to think of it. Lotho had always been a nasty child, and despite being full grown now, still was. It took Lobelia time and effort to try to get him behave himself, but she had never really succeeded. He is too much like his father.

"I do not trust Master Éomer. I cannot put my finger on it, but I disagree with him on some things, which, to me, look like he has said them only to keep the discussion in the nonsense area. Things like a traitor might say. But I am not going to express too much concern about him yet, because I do not know if I find him suspicious only because of our differences in thinking.

Dáin, if a cool head is all that you need, you are a lucky fellow! But yes, I can admit being content with condemning speakers and throwing confusion. It may be that the traitors are more confused than the rest."

edit: xed with two Halbarads, Gandalf, Elrohir and two Dáins
edit2: bolding

Last edited by Aganzir; 03-25-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Aganzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:09 PM   #53
Gil-Galad

"In due time my lord Ironfoot. i will decide to vote soon enough, but i feel that i would rather release my suspicions next day. Believe me that it would be better, after the first lynch i can place my thoughts more strongly then, for i suspect the ones i am hinting at is in the currently accused."

xed with lobelia and dain
Old 03-25-2008, 01:18 PM   #54
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

"Indeed, friend Elrohir, for once the dwarf speaks true. We are all companions here, chosen by the greatest council of the wise our Age has ever seen assembled. Who are you to question their decision based on race alone? Or would you have us all do likewise? Would you see dwarf against elf, hobbit against man, wizard against wizard? I have counseled scrutiny of all, but, given the circumstances, race is hardly grounds for judgement."

Halbarad's tone was stern, but inside he felt Elrohir's sorrow, and knew that the pain of his mother's torment had never left the elf. He softened his tone.

"Why do you cast your vote against Ugluk? Persuade us with some reason, if you can. Justify your decision."
Old 03-25-2008, 01:20 PM   #55
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Dáin, if a cool head is all that you need, you are a lucky fellow! But yes, I can admit being content with condemning speakers and throwing confusion. It may be that the traitors are more confused than the rest."
"I have done you no harm and still you continue to insult me Lobelia, I must warn you that my patience will not last forever! I was not one of those who believed you to be capable of carrying the Ring, but I am prepared to walk with you to Mordor and beyond. Refuse my help too much and I will be gone!"

EDIT: X'd with Halbarad
Old 03-25-2008, 01:22 PM   #56
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
"Old Iarwain, although spending disturbingly much time with his wineskin, has uttered words of wisdom. He said
Quote:
"If someone needs to be sent back from this company let it be one who has not bothered to open his mind as yet. And with opening one's mind I mean actually saying something out of what one could conveniently hide behind - the mask of everyday expectations - or just stayed away from discussions."
Now, sunset is drawing nearer and to my disappointment, neither my eyes nor my heart can see who is the evil-doer among us. Rather than send away someone who is vaguely suspicious, I'd rather send someone who is distinctively unhelpful. But are there even such people? How strong are the shadows of suspicion in my mind? I need to reconsider and pray for Elbereth." Gildor walked on in silence, resting his eyes on the flowers old Iarwain so cherished.

After a while, he continued. "Halbarad then... I would like to call you a friend, but my distrust of you is growing. I do not understand why do you take all the accusations against you so humbly and why are you so apologetic, if indeed your heart is pure? Where is the pride and the fierce flame of the Dúnedain?"

Then the Noldo faced the Grey Wizard, his eyes full of seriousness and even sorrow. "Mithrandir, your conduct grieves me. You set yourself as the mediator and the leader who takes no sides, the ultimate judge. You may have the right to do so in this company, unless your brother Radagast grudges it. Yet it pains me to see you unwilling to share your thoughts with us. None of us is on the mission in vain, all of us has been chosen. None of is meaningless nor devoid of judgement or wisdom of thought." (At this phase he glanced at the Uruk, the grumpy old woman and the hot-headed young Rohir, but said nothing. It was better not to let prejudices reign.)

Still, the wizard's parting words rang in his mind.
Quote:
"And i will let you know that you were not in my list of traitors, so do not give me reasons to change my mind about you."
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger," Gildor recited an old saying. "Indeed it seems so. Even though Mithrandir is known for his temper, this kind of blunt threat both grieves and worries me. It is more like something I would expect from a servant of the Enemy than the gentle Maia who has great love for the Children of Ilúvatar... unless of course he was jesting." But the seriousness did not leave his eyes and his mind was greatly troubled.

edit: xed with Elrohir, Dáin, Dáin, Lobelia, Gandalf, Halbarad and Dáin - action at last!
Old 03-25-2008, 01:29 PM   #57
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well, Theodred thought to himself, it seems as though our ragged band of allies is taking the transport of the ring seriously, despite my earlier concerns. Still, it would be a pleasant turn to find that-Theodred spit-Orc not among our numbers come nightfall, but as he has taken no hostile action, perhaps my cousin Eomer and I should be content to keep a close eye on him. He then turned his attention on Elrohir.

"Perhaps, master Elrohir, you could explain your hasty decision regarding the orc?" Theodred quite frankly had no issue with disposing of Ugluk, but to do so without cause....he found this highly irresponsible, possibly even reckless. "Has the-" Theodred searched for the proper word, keeping in mind the presence of the women "-Has Ugluk done something to alarm you? Please, sir, if you have cause for concern, share with us, so that we may be aware and ready to be rid of the situation." Theodred looked around and noticed that the fellowship was getting more chaotic, and knew accusations (and tempers) would very soon be flying even higher than before. He broke himself from the other's company in an attempt to think clearly; although there were some in the fellowship he would not regret losing, he refused to ruin their mission just to satisfy a need to....Tom Bombadil's loud, offkey, and incoherent tune cut through Theodred's thoughts.

*OOC: Sorry, just realized class is starting. Finish post later! Eek!*
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:31 PM   #58
Gil-Galad

++Halbarad

"My dear ranger, your actions are indeed troubling. After your vote by Galadriel, Elrohir voted Ugluk, which you then joined in accusing Elrohir of his actions. i have a feeling that you would have tried to rally support against Elrohir and to brush aside Galadriel's vote on you. It troubles me to bring the death of a friend, but if you and Ugluk are in league together, then we must act now."

Gandalf looked again to Gildor.

"do not worry friend elf, i will be true to my word and i will express my thoughts the next day. i will say no more in this matter, just have patience."

OOC: i am off to work, so i will come back on to view the aftermath of day one
Old 03-25-2008, 01:34 PM   #59
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbarad View Post
"Why do you cast your vote against Ugluk? Persuade us with some reason, if you can. Justify your decision."
Lobelia made a stern face and imitated the ranger's voice: "Give me good reasons to vote for Uglúk so that I don't have to vote any of my fellows!" She swiped at Halbarad's direction with her umbrella.

"Dáin, you were not one to believe in me. Why should I think even now that you have changed your mind? Maybe you find yourself a better Bearer, maybe you would rather get rid of me and gain the Ring to yourself... Yet it is not me whom you are helping but the whole of Middle-earth, so you don't need to threaten me. I suppose I will manage well enough even without a dwarf to help me!

Tom and Gildor, voting for an unhelpful today may be alright, but there are so few of us that we cannot afford to do that until every more or less unhelpful person is dead or sent away."

edit: xed with Théodred and Gandalf
Old 03-25-2008, 01:35 PM   #60
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

"Mithrandir, it is not just your opinion you take away from us, but you also prevent us from seeing your innocence - or guilt - which is most troublesome. So please speak." Gildor's tone was grave. The wizard's manner troubled him, but he was not eager to send someone so powerful away at such an early phase.

"On a lighter note, I think Dáin II looks quite trustworthy. Maybe there still are noble Naugrim in this world, like in the days of old.

Less light - again - is that the ranger Halbard seems quite bad. But I have heard that last time when he fought against the beasts of Evil, he was unjustly sent away by his own kin in the very first moments of the fight, and I would not see such shame on him so soon again, unless I really had a reason to doubt his intentions."

edit: xed with Son of Théoden, the Grey Pilgrim and Mrs Sackville-Baggins
Old 03-25-2008, 01:43 PM   #61
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
"Dáin, you were not one to believe in me. Why should I think even now that you have changed your mind? Maybe you find yourself a better Bearer, maybe you would rather get rid of me and gain the Ring to yourself... Yet it is not me whom you are helping but the whole of Middle-earth, so you don't need to threaten me. I suppose I will manage well enough even without a dwarf to help me!
Dáin gave a deep sigh. "Your fate is tied to the fate of others mistress Lobelia," Dáin said in a deep soothing voice, "It is the will of the council that and I were picked for this mission, and our quarreling will not help matters at all."

"I will be alone now and think take into account what everyone has said; I'll be back and cast my vote later." And with that Dáin II. Ironfoot went to be alone and think on the decision that he would make.

EDIT: X'd with Gildor
Old 03-25-2008, 01:54 PM   #62
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Tom had finally caught up with the others. There were no songs this time.

"My old friend Olorin, please start making sense! You're driving old Ben mad soon! This Gildor here is making sense while you are not! I know your legendarium tells us that you have never been caught unawares during the Nights in tight situations like this - at least not on the first Nights of the unrest. But how can you be so sure you're with us toMorrow to share your thoughts? Now what is this puppetry? Are you trying... do you think you can fool old Tom?"

Tom stared at his old friend puzzled. Then he finally let his gaze to wander off the wizard only to pick the two brothers.

"And you two should give us some explanations as well. You Elladan were my top suspect earlier as you happily bandwaggoned others even if I know you're intelligent enough to form your own opinions... so it was just too convenient? And Elrohir, your actions speak louder than you probably wish. And it's not only your vote but the way you have acted - or not acted to be precise - in general toDay."

Tom seemed to grow in stature and size as he spoke even if there were no rhymes this time. It looked like the everlived-man was finally getting interested and ready to jump the occasion. Even scarily so.

"You have not seen the old Tom angry yet... and it has been rare times he has gotten into that mood. But let me promise you'll not forget it if you push him to it." His nostrils were enlargening as he studied the fellowship.

"Now let's talk serious, my friends", he then added looking a bit more mellow again. "This can't go on like this and we should send one of us away this evening. Now who is one of the traitors amongst us? I agree with the hobbit that we should not pick just anyone but if we don't have better candidates I still suggest we decide on someone who doesn't even want to help us in the goial set by the Council. But the better candidates then?"

No, no Tom... you're getting even more un-Tom all the time... settle down, settle down and become what you are...Think of the lillies, of harebells, of Goldberry...
Old 03-25-2008, 02:04 PM   #63
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

"Open trust may be a kiss of death if given by those who are true, but it's a stab in the back when voiced by someone who is not. Whatever happens, remember this..."

It seemed Tom had receded down to his own thoughts once again but these words just poured from his lips.

"Just remember this..."
Old 03-25-2008, 02:11 PM   #64
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Halbarad sighed and rested his head in his hands a moment. He needed to think clearly and it was growing difficult to do so as the company muddied the waters of reason with threats and accusations, flung this way and that.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:24 PM   #65
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
"Now let's talk serious, my friends", he then added looking a bit more mellow again. "This can't go on like this and we should send one of us away this evening. Now who is one of the traitors amongst us? I agree with the hobbit that we should not pick just anyone but if we don't have better candidates I still suggest we decide on someone who doesn't even want to help us in the goial set by the Council. But the better candidates then?"

"My companions, this old man has likely never spoken more sense. I believe Halbarad will prove himself useful. Our journey just begun, I find it rash to make such a case against the fellow, and yet in this case his accusers seem reasonable. Still, I cannot help but consider the role he may play later in the journey. Surely, if we were to go with old Tom's advice, he would be the first to go, as he seems here merely to entertain, yet in my mind's eye I sense an innocence about him." Theodred sighed, having already made up his mind but unwilling to carry out his decision for the moment. "I feel I must reserve judgement a bit longer; I will return to you all with a vote of confidence, or perhaps lack thereof, and we will cast out one of our numbers, in hopes of ridding ourselves of a filthy traitor." Privately, Theodred could not help wondering whether this fellowship had been handpicked by Saruman with the express intent to fail, but for now the traitors were the main concern.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:27 PM   #66
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

The first part of the journey was almost at its end, and soon it would be time to vote.

"My options now are Halbarad and Elrohir. Halbarad is more suspicious of those twain, but the easiest choice is not always the right one. I do not feel good voting for Elrohir either, but thus far he has been the least helpful."
Old 03-25-2008, 02:30 PM   #67
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
"Gandalf Greyhame, I thought you were trustworthy but now my heart is doubtful; for all you have said today lacks substance, and hiding your true thoughts does not provoke trust. Indeed it is not what I would expect from one so high and wise.

"Lady Galadriel, my heart is troubled by your behaviour as well as Gandalf's. What is it with these high folk we are told to call the Wise, who yet do not speak their minds clearly but instead lurk in the shadows and hide their true suspicions from us others?

"Lord Elrohir, I do not think you are the only one in here who bears no love for the race of orcs, nor the only one with some grudge to them. Yet, as I said earlier, we must not cast ourselves into that net! Only destruction lies on that path.

"Lord Halbarad, ranger of north, though you give me an uneasy feeling, I do not wish to lynch you yet; for I have no argument against you, and I shall not so completely trust my gut-feelings.

"These four I have to decide upon, or these three to be more exact. I will make my choice soon."
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:37 PM   #68
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Old Bombadil couldn't help but laugh when he heard Théodred's reasoning and then he went again singing.

"Oh, you mighty laddie,
come home to old daddy!
With you I both agree
and strongly disagree.
Now let me stroke your hair,
see the bottom of your eyes fair.
There's no evil in there?
Is there?"

But then he shook his head and took the skin once more.

"Oh no, don't get me wrong dear Rohanian master. I'm indeed beginning to think that this northern ranger Halbarad should be spared at least toDay. He eventually tries to do something unlike some others who conveniently hide in the shadows or behind their roles as someone we should think they are." At this point Tom glanced hastily at Eomer as well.

"And anyway these northern men tend to be simple, not those honey-lipped vermins the southern courts, Saruman's pits or elven halls might produce..." He glanced at the two brothers to see whether there was any reaction only to see both of them gone. "So if he's a traitor indeed, we'll be able to spot him later..."

"Olorin, my friend, please share your thoughts for otherwise I need to consider you as one of those I might vote toDay as well."

Finally he took his pipe from his pocket and started filling it. "So the time of decisions draws near... Any ideas you others?"

EDIT: X'd with Lobelia & Eomer
Old 03-25-2008, 02:38 PM   #69
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

"I am greatly troubled. Halbarad and Mithrandir set a shadow on my mind, but I would not like to vote them too quickly. Elrohir has been the least helpful and somewhat hasty, but he doesn't seem very evil to me. In fact, I do not know what to think of him. Uglúk has not been very helpful either, but Curunir has told me that getting killed early on military missions runs in his family, so I would hesitate to say my word against him. But any of these four is a possibility. I need to think it through, but I'm only afraid there's too little time."

edit: xed with Bombadillo
Old 03-25-2008, 02:41 PM   #70
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

"Actually, I might vote for Éomer, also. There's an aura of strangeness and deliberate misunderstanding about him - I can't explain it better, but I do not feel too good about him."
Old 03-25-2008, 02:45 PM   #71
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Elladan returned from his scouting expedition to find the company in an uproar, with everyone accusing everyone else. Desperately he tried to work out what was going on.

"My friends," he said finally, "much as it grieves me to say this, I am seized by doubts of Mithrandir's sincerity. His extreme reluctance to state his suspicions, his near-threat to Gildor– it even troubles me that he voted Halbarad because he questioned my brother. Why, even I– knowing well how hard it is for either of us to be objective where Orcs are concerned– think Elrohir should have given some grounds for his vote– as a matter of form, at least.” His voice dropped. "My dear grandmother's vote also seems a little too easy...” He shivered. “...But that way madness lies...

'And yet, it is true that Halbarad has said little of substance, and that his manner makes me uneasy. I know not what to think.

'Master Iarwain I am also not sure of... why does he say I was "bandwaggonning" when I merely commented that he was being unhelpful early in the piece? He was."

EDIT: X'd with Théodred, Lobelia, Éomer, Tom, Gildor and Lobelia again.

Last edited by Nerwen; 03-25-2008 at 02:49 PM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:46 PM   #72
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

"Being of one mind might show good judgement
but it might also tell of reason's abandonment
and the treacherous one's achievement...

But new ideas as well
thrown at late hour
are easily thrown to the well
the water of which may turn sour."
Old 03-25-2008, 02:46 PM   #73
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
"Well, my lady halfling", said Éomer, "if you do not explain your point better then I cannot try to explain myself and whatever it is about me that makes you uneasy. I have to cast my vote now, so based on reasons stated earlier,

++ Galadriel

because in the end she is the most sinister-looking of my suspects."

x-ed with lord Elladan and lord Bomba-ding-a-dillo
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:49 PM   #74
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

"Once again, my fellows, I feel the need to speak out against a hasty lynching of Halbarad; I may be misguided, but I feel that he warrants an opportunity to prove where his loyalties lie. As I am somewhat hurried in my decision today, I feel the need to express my unease regarding

++Elrohir

"He seems indeed unhelpful and seems, though not outright dangerous, to possess the potential for creating disasters later on in our quest." And with this, Theodred raced off, unsure that he had made the right decision but ready to stand by it (and still repressing the urge to get rid of the irksome Orc.)
Old 03-25-2008, 02:50 PM   #75
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Halbarad looked up and his face was grim, for these were his companions and friends.

“Who shall we follow? Where now is the path of wisdom? With Saruman gone, who now will lead us?

“Shall we follow Gandalf, who promises to withhold his vote, and then places it on the first bandwagon that forms, creating an elaborate theory to support his vote – a theory that contradicts his fellow bandwagoners’ reasons for voting?

“Or shall we follow Galadriel, who votes first, and gives no reason at all?

“Perhaps we shall follow the example of Elrohir, who votes his heart, and ignores his reason and good sense.”

He sighed again. He was still anxious, but his mind was clearer now.

“I do not know how I shall vote. Perhaps a traitor hides in the midst of the quiet and compliant and not among these three at all. I do not know. I shall likely wait until Bombadil has spoken, for he has shown both prudence and wisdom, qualities which I doubted he had at the beginning of the Day, and of which he has more than I.”
Old 03-25-2008, 02:50 PM   #76
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Dain came wondering back to his companions with a sorrowful look on his face. He was not jolly and not mad, but very troubled.

"Well I've come to a decision at at last," he said heavily. "Lobelia, you seem to be the more troublesome of the fellowship, but I will not harm you today. For indeed if you were at all harmful I'm sure my cries of alarm would have sent a rippling effect through the wiser members of our fellowship, but it hasn't. Indeed only one has agreed with me on that part: Radagast, and that was only slight. I believe that the time for acting is now and those who delay are troublemakers, but the one that I accuse has out right refused to vote and will give us no better reason than to be patient and wait. Wait for what, for someone to be killed? Therefore the one whom I saw as the wisest among us is the one that I must accuse. May the Valar forgive me if I am mistaken."

++Gandalf

EDIT: X'd with Halbarad and Theodred
Old 03-25-2008, 02:50 PM   #77
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

"I had almost decided to pronounce my word of banishment against Mithrandir but then I paused to think if one of the servants of the Enemy would indeed be so openly foul-looking, if you catch my meaning... Already the sun has almost vanished and I can not choose. I do not like this."

edit: xed with Théo, Halbie and Daim
edit2: corrected a typo
Old 03-25-2008, 02:51 PM   #78
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

"Good to see you back lord Elladan. Now I might just vote for you as you're present. Amnd you clearly were trailing "good-looking" suspicions earlier on. Not only to myself but to Radagast as well - and his case was even more out-of-the-blue than mine...

But still I like the actions of your brother even less..."

X'd from Théodred
Old 03-25-2008, 02:53 PM   #79
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Éomer View Post
"Well, my lady halfling", said Éomer, "if you do not explain your point better then I cannot try to explain myself and whatever it is about me that makes you uneasy.
"Your beard."

++ Éomer

Last edited by Aganzir; 03-25-2008 at 02:54 PM. Reason: changed the name in the quote
Aganzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:54 PM   #80
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

"Indeed, Master Bombadil, and what is more worrisome about Elrohir is that he did not even TRY to persuade us. Would a traitor do such?"

EDIT: Crossed with Lobelia