The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2008, 06:01 AM   #1
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots Nth Post Angst?

Do you get this?

I've noticed to my surprise that my 4,000th Post is heading this way with all the speed of Gordon Brown chasing an Icelandic banker. Some how I feel I ought to do something special with it, as I've tried to do on my Nth Posts in the past, but that risks a.) ending up starting a really rubbish thread that you thought was impressive and everyone else thinks "yawwwwwn" and b.) you look dead uncool.

In fact a.) and b.) there might even apply to this thread....

Do you store up cunning thread ideas for your Nth Posts, like a squirrel stashing nuts for the winter? Or do you waste it on a WW post accusing Mithalwen of being a cobbler and upsetting her?

And do you actually care?
Old 10-21-2008, 06:37 AM   #2
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I do care, but I do not store anything up.

It is more a case of me suddenly realising a special number is comming up and then either make some panic post or I decide that I will hang onto the post until I figure out what I want to do with it. The problem with the latter is that I always end up forgetting and use the special post on some random thing like "Palantir of Fortune"

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:38 AM   #3
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
And do you actually care?
I do. I've already started the countdown and feel like a kid before Christmas. Lal's 4000th post! Don't know what it's going to be about but I expect something absolutely marvellous!
Old 10-21-2008, 07:04 AM   #4
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
I do. I've already started the countdown and feel like a kid before Christmas. Lal's 4000th post! Don't know what it's going to be about but I expect something absolutely marvellous!
I wouldn't hold your breath, I'm such a flibbertigibbet these days I might do just what Rune says and waste it being facetious

What' funnier is with every pointless post I make time is counting down and using it to go "Hey! That was funny!" in response to an Assigned To Mordor post (and is the process even possibly getting chat-skwerled just to add to the sense of misery) is increasingly likely
Old 10-21-2008, 10:49 AM   #5
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Well, since any milestone I would reach probably won't happen for another year or more, I hadn't really even considered an nth post; however, I will gladly offer spam, spam, spam, spam, spam and eggs (minus the eggs) to assist you in reaching your lofty goal.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:17 AM   #6
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
When it comes to me, I usually realise my n-th post had just happened right after I make it (except for my last jubilee, i.e. 3000th post, when I realised it only several posts later and not immediately. Maybe I am getting blind). From the "EDIT: Wow! #th post!" words which I have seen many times, I assume that this is no rare phenomenon. I think many people, like me, don't realise something special is happening until the number they were used to changes suspiciously. Number, let's say, 3987 by itself does not warn you in any striking way on first sight.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:15 PM   #7
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I don't think I have ever marked any post with "yay my nth post!", whatever the number. What's really so special in your 100th, 500th, 1,000th &c post?

Even now I don't remember how many rep points I have, and about my posts I only remember there's 1,100-something of them. Occasionally glancing at the number actually makes me rather surprised: how come I have this many posts already! The worst thing is that I have no idea where I have posted that much.
I think I noticed I had passed one thousand only when I had something like 1,010 posts.

So no, no storing up for me.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:48 PM   #8
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
I don't think I have ever marked any post with "yay my nth post!", whatever the number. What's really so special in your 100th, 500th, 1,000th &c post?
You're just too cool I'm one of these people who gets all excited when the milometer on a car goes past a landmark sum - in fact I'm so sad I got upset that I recently missed my car passing 50k because my dad was driving it. Grrr...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
Number, let's say, 3987 by itself does not warn you in any striking way on first sight.
Well uncannily I am just a couple below that and I'm watching that counter grow each time I post and look, you've just made it go down more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron
Well, since any milestone I would reach probably won't happen for another year or more, I hadn't really even considered an nth post; however, I will gladly offer spam, spam, spam, spam, spam and eggs (minus the eggs) to assist you in reaching your lofty goal.
Any more of those amusing letters to the editor sir and you will soon be going "Oh God, my 1,000th post! What do I do to mark it!"

I think I might use it for a Crazy Caption actually. Why the jiggins not? I have a load of thread ideas stewing on topics I've been wanting to discuss but the irony is here I am rambling on and....
Old 10-21-2008, 05:06 PM   #9
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
The only post I ever bothered to track the arrival of was the 500th--for the obvious reason of then becoming eligible for a title, though that still wasn't something that came my way for a good while thereafter, and was not necessarily a consequence of attaining that lofty figure.

Actually... I don't even know how many posts I have right now.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:33 AM   #10
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Perhaps the criteria for posting milestones should be changed to reflect a more Barrow-Downerish model. For instance, one's eleventieth post (Bilbo's Birthday), or one's 1420th post (a proper mark, to be sure), or 3824 (seemingly, the amount of werewolf threads in the Mirth Section).

It's just a thought. Geeze, lycanthropes can be so touchy.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:20 AM   #11
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
You're just too cool I'm one of these people who gets all excited when the milometer on a car goes past a landmark sum - in fact I'm so sad I got upset that I recently missed my car passing 50k because my dad was driving it. Grrr...

I missed 50K too - one of those times when I realised I was a couple of miles off one evening but forgot all about it the next morning. But it hit 51K tidily as I pulled into my parking space yesterday. Most exciting of all was when my old car had the speedo reading 54321.0 as I climebed a hill in Kent.

I did think my 5555 should be special then I forgot.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:43 AM   #12
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I forgot about my 1000.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:06 PM   #13
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Before the Downs I used to frequent a forum with no reputation system where an user's reputation kind of depended on the number of posts - the more the better. It was a serious forum with relatively strict moderators, though, so no spam posts were allowed (except in the mirth section where users could eg just post jokes and others comment on them like "Haha! "). There I was much keener on how many posts I had.

I really like the Downs' rep system. It encourages to write proper posts instead of just trying to add up to the post count.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:20 PM   #14
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
I missed 50K too - one of those times when I realised I was a couple of miles off one evening but forgot all about it the next morning. But it hit 51K tidily as I pulled into my parking space yesterday. Most exciting of all was when my old car had the speedo reading 54321.0 as I climebed a hill in Kent.

I did think my 5555 should be special then I forgot.
I'm glad I'm not alone in this odd little pleasure

It's only in three posts' time (two now, actually - unless I get skwerled and have posts wiped for making up rambling threads like this of course!).

It always strikes me that Downers are a celebratory bunch, any excuse for a bit of a party, Tolkien's birthday, Bilbo's birthday, the Barrow Downs' birthday, the opening of an envelope.... so you surprise me, though you could all be much cooler than I am being all old now and having to find cheap thrills in things like numbers
Old 10-24-2008, 12:42 AM   #15
Naz
Shade of Carn Dûm

Naz has just left Hobbiton.
I'm oblivious as to my number of posts. All i know is that i'm horrible when it comes to posting here. .___.

Oh, look. Two seventy.

Last edited by Naz; 10-25-2008 at 12:04 AM.
Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:49 AM   #16
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Lal is only 2 posts away! *cheer!*
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:04 AM   #17
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I remember trying to think of clever things to say in my 666th and 1000th posts, but I think when they actually arrived, I forgot & made some inconsequential WW post. Or - no, wait, if I recall correctly 666 was something appropriately evil - can't remember what or find it again, though.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:04 AM   #18
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I don't really think I should be doing something special with 100th, 1000th or 3000th post or so on, but I do keep an eye on my post count and wait for the great numbers. Currently, 5000 is not very far away...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:05 AM   #19
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
1420!

And the above appears to have been my 1499th post... so here's to 1500, and nothing clever to say!
Old 10-24-2008, 08:07 AM   #20
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
(Cross-posted...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
I remember trying to think of clever things to say in my 666th and 1000th posts, but I think when they actually arrived, I forgot & made some inconsequential WW post. Or - no, wait, if I recall correctly 666 was something appropriately evil - can't remember what or find it again, though.
Aieeeeeeee, Rikae, watch out! Your 1500th is just one post away!
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:44 AM   #21
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
It's only in three posts' time (two now, actually - unless I get skwerled and have posts wiped for making up rambling threads like this of course!).
Now, here's a good idea - what about this: you start to make off-topic posts now, and they are deleted all the time, and this way you may celebrate your jubilee post over and over again
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:02 AM   #22
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
I'm glad I'm not alone in this odd little pleasure

You are not - the odd thing is it is a habit I inherited from my mother who was otherwise the least number orientated person imaginable. Her very good school gave up trying to teach her maths and she had to give up a hotel job she loved because she had to make good any errors out of her pay and she couldn't afford to stay!

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:38 PM   #23
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

4000, eh? I can... yes, I can just about see it myself.

I don't know how it happened though, Lal: you're a newbie, really.

This thread should be closed because it's only going to encourage people to get their post-count up. Unless a moderator deletes this post, I will have essentially stolen one.

Yes, I also obsess.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:52 PM   #24
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

1420!

This is my 3999th post!

The very next one is IT!

OK, now if you lot were all real meanies you'd post something guaranteed to make me HAVE to bang out a post instantly and hit 'send' before I even had time to think about it

God, Eomer, I remember joining here and you were this old-timer! And you are not so far off I note...

Who has the most posts? Is it still H-I or Mr Saucepan?

I'm off to bind my fingers down...
Old 10-25-2008, 12:50 AM   #25
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
This is my 3999th post!

The very next one is IT!

OK, now if you lot were all real meanies you'd post something guaranteed to make me HAVE to bang out a post instantly and hit 'send' before I even had time to think about it

God, Eomer, I remember joining here and you were this old-timer! And you are not so far off I note...

Who has the most posts? Is it still H-I or Mr Saucepan?

I'm off to bind my fingers down...
Ooo, only one left! Really, you can't fail Lalwende. When Alan Shearer scored his 200th premiership goal it would not have mattered at all if that goal were a poorly struck penalty that somehow found the net (it wasn't), his fans would have celebrated it with great gusto nonetheless. So just go ahead, get it over with!

Oh I also attach significance to numbers. I can drive many extra miles just to see that milometer reach a certain landmark or keep staring a digital watch for minutes until it reaches 22:22:22. Although I'm far from any particularly auspicious postcount on this board I will probably feel a tinge of sentimentality and importance when or if I reach lets say an even thousand.

Last edited by skip spence; 10-25-2008 at 01:00 AM.
skip spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:27 PM   #26
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

1420!

I have a thing about always looking at the clock when it says 22:22 as well! It spooks me out actually...

Anyway, I've done it!!! Next big step is 4444, because that is like a square number or something like that.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:03 PM   #27
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
I have a thing about always looking at the clock when it says 22:22 as well! It spooks me out actually...

Anyway, I've done it!!! Next big step is 4444, because that is like a square number or something like that.
I do that too!
4444 is a special number. Last time I had a post-count off a similiar nature was at 333- I'm sure that was ages ago for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
Although I'm far from any particularly auspicious postcount on this board
Not really- how about in 12 posts (321) or in 24 posts (333)?
Old 10-26-2008, 02:51 PM   #28
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
I do that too!
4444 is a special number. Last time I had a post-count off a similiar nature was at 333- I'm sure that was ages ago for you.
I wish I could look back and see what I was posting back then, but correct me if I am wrong, mod persons, I think you can only look back to at max your last 1,000 posts in a 'numbered list'?
Old 10-26-2008, 05:36 PM   #29
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I thought it was only 500... oh well. I've only got like 900 posts or something, when I get to 1,000 I should have a party, with Lauri, of course! Maybe a tea party.

But as to not just take up posts, when I got to a Ghost Prince or something, I was excited, because I could get a personal title... Well that happened quickly... Anyway, I was excited when I got to be a Wight, I got an congratulation pm for becoming a Shade. I was like Yay, somebody notices me!

I remember Lauri came to school one day to announce that she was A Wight, because she had reached to lofty number of 101 posts!
Old 10-26-2008, 07:44 PM   #30
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I used post #3500 to start a Werewolf thread. And I just noticed that now.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:00 PM   #31
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

My clock now says 22:22. It reminded me of this thread.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:52 PM   #32
Naz
Shade of Carn Dûm

Naz has just left Hobbiton.
What is the significance of 22:22 and 11:11? :\
Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:23 PM   #33
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

I don't know what the significance is for Eönwë, but if I look at the clock at 11:11, I tell myself I get a wish.

It's even better if it's 11:11 pm with the alarm set on my digital clock, because then it's :11:11.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:57 PM   #34
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lal
I'm one of these people who gets all excited when the milometer on a car goes past a landmark sum
I do that too...except in miles. Though it's been months since I've driven my car...

Anyways, I've noticed I now have less than 50 posts until I reach 2,000. That should be an exciting mark for me, especially since I don't tend to post as much as others. I also like to keep track of my posting average. I got excited when I hit 0.8 posts per day, though it'll be worth celebrating when I actually manage to reach 1.0.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:47 PM   #35
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lal
I wish I could look back and see what I was posting back then, but correct me if I am wrong, mod persons, I think you can only look back to at max your last 1,000 posts in a 'numbered list'?
Actually, I believe you can search for a members' posts within a certain timeframe, so if you know approximately when this post number would have occurred you might be able to find it.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:48 PM   #36
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I'm sitting nicely on 1.98 posts per day! Although not as much as some, still more than others I guess!

Although, most of my 1.98 posts per day are used on rubbish posts...
Old 11-15-2008, 09:09 PM   #37
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Actually, I believe you can search for a members' posts within a certain timeframe, so if you know approximately when this post number would have occurred you might be able to find it.
Well scratch that - you can search in certain forums for posts up to a year old, or for posts older than a year, but it's not going to give you the number of the post.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:27 PM   #38
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Dear me, my very next post is number 6,666 - should I make it evil (menacing chat skwerlz), humorous (another bumper sticker, crazy caption, or so), memorable (writing why I love the Downs), or intelligent (perhaps a great new Books topic)? Knowing me, I will forget all about it by tomorrow morning and waste it on something completely trivial.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:08 PM   #39
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Boots

Quick! All provoke Esty so she wastes her post! :P
Old 11-26-2008, 09:30 PM   #40
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Dedicating an entire post to celebrate...

This is my 2,000th post. Go me.