Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-06-2006, 10:48 AM   #881
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Keep up the good work guys! My Easterling character may be out of the game but I am enjoying reading this!

Arry - check your pms.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:50 AM   #882
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
Tevildo

Your plan sounds fine. But I don't think Brand will be falling out off his horse.

So - Sythric? or Vaenosa, it will have to be.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Naria

There is no need to tell your fellow gamers why you are gone from the game.

But you do need to let us know that you won't be able to post for a while, when you might return, and if you want someone to carry your character along.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:31 AM   #883
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of the 7th Age
Keep up the good work guys! My Easterling character may be out of the game but I am enjoying reading this!

Arry - check your pms.
Are you sure Child? I don't know what plans you made with Arry, but I wouldn't mind the scouts perhaps finding a straggler Easterling? something so that the scouting has a bit more of a purpose than to find nothing and make a camp.

Just thinking out loud, but a wounded Easterling who could not keep up with the rest of the group and whom when captured is "brought to trial"? It might be an interesting piece of writing to do, as long as that's ok with Arry's plans and of course Child herself.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:28 PM   #884
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I guess you'll just have to wait and see what happens.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:32 PM   #885
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of the 7th Age
I guess you'll just have to wait and see what happens.
Wait and see? oh my, I'm not good for that....

Other Scouts
If you have time, would you put up a couple posts? move us forward as you please, but let's get going!
Old 05-06-2006, 05:49 PM   #886
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arry
Tevildo

Your plan sounds fine. But I don't think Brand will be falling out off his horse.

So - Sythric? or Vaenosa, it will have to be.
If you see the plan fit, then Sythric might be the one to drop. He was after all the most severely wounded. I'll post Sythric talking with Brand in a moment (as I just write it down), and will end it with him feeling quite bad.

If you will take on the option Tevildo suggested, feel free to depict Sythric falling from his horse and do what you will... Sythric is totally usable (for your writing) at that point. If you will not stick to this plan, then it just could be understandable, that he felt bad for a moment, and then continued.

If Arry wants Brand to comment on Sythric's discussion, that should of course be made first - and because of that possibility, I'll make his bad feeling written cautiously, so as to allow multiple ways to go on...
Old 05-06-2006, 07:16 PM   #887
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dūm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
I'll use Sythric, but I'll wait to make sure that Brand has finished his response before observing the poor fellow wavering again and then keeling over.

Is it alright if I knock your character out for a moment? You can have him come to later on the sledge.
Now Tevildo was a mighty cat--the mightiest of all--and possessed of an evil spirit,...and he was in Melko's constant following; and that cat had all cats subject to him, and he and his subjects were the chasers and getters of meat for Melko's table.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:01 PM   #888
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Sythric's "monologue" about killing is now finished. (= save filled)

It would be nice to have Brand reacting to that.

But Tevildo: if you are up and about to write something, go ahead!
We can place Arry's part after my post anyway (Arry could place it in there himself).

I tried to leave my part to be so open as possible, so just go on with Sythric as you wish...
Old 05-07-2006, 01:25 PM   #889
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Okay, I’ve filled my save. There is a very slight reference to time, but not much of one. It could be mid morning. . .could not, but since it’s before Tevildo’s and Nogrod’s post, perhaps it’s inconvenient. You can look at it however is best.

Tevildo: Athwen is riding with Dorran and has asked him a question.

-- Folwren
Old 05-07-2006, 02:45 PM   #890
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Brand has put forth his thoughts. They are different from Sythric's . . .

Tevildo & Undome

Brand has halted both his horse and Sythric's and called for your help. He dears sythric is about to fall from the saddle . . .
Old 05-07-2006, 03:31 PM   #891
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Well made Arry!

You just pack Sythric as a load. I hope he will have a chance of disagreeing with Brand about the easterlings not being human at some instance (not in a hurry about that)...

This looks good. Tevildo: go on!
Old 05-07-2006, 05:50 PM   #892
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ok, I'll give time for Tevildo to get a post up (or at least a save) then if it's ok with you all I'll get us to our (late) lunch break. I think that Arry wanted us moving along and I don't want to draw it any longer than it has to be. We can have some conversation going on as we have lunch, that's why I'm posting this now.... as we are all rather busy, I would suggest we plan ahead and think of who will our characters talk to and about what... then we can get the conversation written first (whether it is on PMs or on this thread) and then we can put up our more elaborated posts in our own time.

Again, this is just a suggestion, I'm not the game owner or a mod. Yet I think it's rather reasonable, given that we have all been having some time constraints. If you disagree, I'll just shut up

Also, I'd like to borrow someone's character to tell Osmod that they should stop for lunch... he's the kind that will push himself to the limit before stopping but it's not the smartest thing to do. Any characters I can borrow? if not, I guess I'll have Fion do it and pray that Maeggaladiel does not mind when/if she comes back to the game.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:19 PM   #893
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farael
Ok, I'll give time for Tevildo to get a post up (or at least a save) then if it's ok with you all I'll get us to our (late) lunch break. I think that Arry wanted us moving along and I don't want to draw it any longer than it has to be.
--------------------
Also, I'd like to borrow someone's character to tell Osmod that they should stop for lunch... he's the kind that will push himself to the limit before stopping but it's not the smartest thing to do.
If we are in a hurry, maybe we don't stop to have lunch? The forwards people would just have something to bite during their ride, and the rest of the team would do as well - maybe after Sythric falls from his horse... as he seems to do... (that's not required, but could be done - and is ok. by me)
So thence we would just need a night-camp for the "scouting team" to find...

All this assuming, we're under a stress and would have to make it very soon (I kind of remember Arry saying, he would get us three days forwards in a post quite soon).
Old 05-07-2006, 06:32 PM   #894
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nogrod, I hope this sounds as civil as I mean it to sound... but I really think that if we are hurrying along the horses (and riders) will need some rest, so an hour for lunch would be logical. Remember that the characters are not war veterans, they are just farm boys (And girls) and they will not be used to riding so much and in such haste without stopping.

We are in two groups now and both groups need some writing... let us scouts decide what we will do by ourselves.

Just to give you an idea on how to do things and still move fast, the lunch camp can be dealt with in three short posts if nothing else and then the fourth post after that can easily be the setting of a night camp if Arry wants to hurry us along. Then we can just say that the same routine repeated itself for three days and in five posts (from the scouting group) we'll skip ahead three days. I think that's rather fast. But Arry will decide when and how for us to move forward (or not). Part of the "fun" of a RPG is to let the story develop as it may and unless everyone wants out right now, we can still take a couple of days to enjoy ourselves and our writing.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:38 PM   #895
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

I totally agree with you Farael!

And I have been quite sad to see the haste by which we are going to end this story...

I do not want to make this game end in a couple of days. I could go on for the next five months (RL) - that would make this a real story...

But I think Arry's message was clear enough: just a post or two by everyone, and then it's the end...

So sad.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:29 PM   #896
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Is that it Arry? let me know so that I can figure out what to do best. I didn't think we had a cap on the number of posts, just that the game is winding down.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:41 AM   #897
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

We are now in week 14 of a 12 week game. I suppose we will just go along until it ends now.

So, carry on . . .

I will be away from May 14th to the 20th or later. At that point I'll have Pio close the game until I return.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:54 AM   #898
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Farael and all other active players

SHIRE RULES:The Red Book of Westmarch Thread is quite clear about players who go missing from a game without letting their fellow gamers know that they will be gone:

Quote:
5. You must tell your fellow players if you will be unavailable for a while. Any character that goes missing for a two week period of time can be "killed off" or "lost" and will be out of the game. If you have posted that you will be gone, the game owner can then decide if someone else can take over your character if need be until you get back
Valier has not posted since 4/21; Maeggaladiel has not posted since 4/13 - they have now forfeited their characters.

"Fion" and "Vaenosa" are now NPC's (Non Player Characters) who can be used in posts by other players (keeping of course the character's Character Description in mind).
Old 05-08-2006, 03:12 AM   #899
Undómė
Shade of Carn Dūm

Undómė has just left Hobbiton.
Tevildo

Leod needs to come help Meghan and Brand with Sythric.

~ U
Young she was and yet not so. The braids of her dark hair were touched by no frost, her white arms and clear face were flawless and smooth, and the light of stars was in her bright eyes, grey as a cloudless night . . .
Old 05-08-2006, 12:45 PM   #900
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Question

Sorry everyone for not posting...I felt fairly lost with the timeframing and was unsure where to interject a post and what it should be about, but I see you all now are to use my character to continue the story.....have fun.....sorry again
Old 05-08-2006, 05:47 PM   #901
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dūm

Thumbs up

Both my posts are up, and it's full speed ahead. Dorran has answered Athwen's question as well as made a suggestion of his own. Sythric is bumping along on a sledge. I had to use several characters to get us back on the trail. If there is any problem, let me know and I'll edit.

Ahem.....yes, Leod is a bit bossy. That part, I won't edit out.
Now Tevildo was a mighty cat--the mightiest of all--and possessed of an evil spirit,...and he was in Melko's constant following; and that cat had all cats subject to him, and he and his subjects were the chasers and getters of meat for Melko's table.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:24 AM   #902
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I've post again and once more Athwen has addressed Dorran, but this time with a completely different question. If it's not a good idea to do as she asks, then I'm afraid it's going to have to be your characer that is responsible and says no. Have fun with it.

And I know I didn't have Athwen think about what he said concerning Andwulf. Her mind ran on different tracks for now. She might be purposefully avoiding thinking about her future right now. . .I'm not quite sure. I'm sure she'll think about it later.

-- Folwren
Old 05-09-2006, 11:20 AM   #903
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Quote:
We are now in week 14 of a 12 week game. I suppose we will just go along until it ends now.

So, carry on . . .

I will be away from May 14th to the 20th or later. At that point I'll have Pio close the game until I return.
What should we have to read into this actually?

I understand, that we are on overtime already - and I also remember you saying some week ago, that we should make our funeral posts, and then you would move us three days forwards, or something, to just get us to Edoras and that would be it.

But now we will continue the game after you come back - and thence "post as usual" also now - the period you are away notwithstanding ?

I don't know. Regarding, how the number of active players has waned considerably, the original idea of just ending the game might not be a bad idea either. If we continue with a normal style, this will take time indeed, for various reasons.

As I have supposed that we are going to end this very soon, I have let Sythric fall into such a situation as to just be a deadload for you others - and thence considerably making it harder for you to make the goal (I thought, you could just be convinced by Sythric to leave him behind, and then I could have made an end-post, where I could tell, what happened to him).

Secondly: with so many fewer writers, getting anything to happen will take even more time than up to now.

But what do you Arry / others think?

How about we write us to the nightcamp in just today-tomorrow (RL) and let our characters have some discussion there about the future of the company - before Arry leaves (RL)? If Arry has an outline of the last days of riding, he could give them to us, and those wishing to make their characters interact some more, could do that while Arry is away. Then Arry could just post us to the city.

Or something.

Of course I can keep sending you different nightmares of Sythric every once in a while as we first have a considerable break in the game - and then end this in August...

EDIT: Btw. I will have one coming in tonight... (SAVE made)
Old 05-09-2006, 11:36 AM   #904
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Mostly, Nogrod, we need to back off a bit and let Arry decide how quickly he wants to finish it. Quite honestly, I don't think we have far to go before we can end it. If any day, Arry comes here and says 'Hey, guys, we need to end this game in four days. I'll write the post to get us to Edoras, you figure out your epologues' I believe that it would be pretty much alright. We don't want to rush to the end now, because at this point, this is all the story we have left. Once we reach Edoras, there's not much else to be done.

With fewer active players, the game will go a little faster because we don't have to wait up on as many people to write before going on. With RPers not playing, we can use their characters without having to make sure that the writer is alright with everything, or having to wait for them to get on to answer some question or make some decision.

There is nothing wrong with progressing the game as you seem eager to do (stop for lunch, cover a few miles, whatever), but I see little reason in rushing on until Arry says so. Right now, we should take our time to develope our characters as much as possible, make the story interesting, and have fun ourselves. Arry's the game owner, let him worry about the technical things. If we need to jump a few days, he'll take care of it and let us know.

-- Folwren
Old 05-09-2006, 11:40 AM   #905
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Just a small add-on to the earlier.

I just realized, that I might look like a flip-flopper here - as I have just said how I would have liked to play this to the end (#895).

But I didn't quite grasp then the fact that we are at least three players down. And I didn't know, we are going to have a considerable break in here. And I only stated a wish: as I think of the probable scenario, I'm afraid this will go slower and slower - due to the narration, the pause, less people writing etc.

A stalled game is not fun to anyone.

I'm all for sticking to this game to the very end - even if it takes time - but I would hope to know, that the others are too and that all we remaining people continue writing actively...

EDIT: X-posted with Folwren
Old 05-09-2006, 11:47 AM   #906
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dūm

Eowyn Skywalker has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Eowyn Skywalker
I'm still around... (shrugs) I just don't usually get on to post much. Yeah. I'll see if I can get a brief post in now before I leave for piano lessons.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:47 AM   #907
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Quote:
Mostly, Nogrod, we need to back off a bit and let Arry decide how quickly he wants to finish it.
Well that was the reason I asked this in the first place, as he has been calling for immediate end for a week or more now, and then I just started wondering his post I quoted above. vSurely it's up to Arry. But it would be nice to know.

Quote:
With fewer active players, the game will go a little faster because we don't have to wait up on as many people to write before going on. With RPers not playing, we can use their characters without having to make sure that the writer is alright with everything, or having to wait for them to get on to answer some question or make some decision.
That's a good point. Didn't come to think of it from that perspective. I was only thinking, that with more players, if two or three can't do anything for a while, there are always two or three others to do it...

Quote:
Right now, we should take our time to develope our characters as much as possible, make the story interesting, and have fun ourselves.
I agree with this. And as I said, I'll try to post one for Sythric today...
Old 05-09-2006, 01:11 PM   #908
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The end of the world as we know it. I feel fine, incidentally.
Maeggaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Maeggaladiel has not posted since 4/13 - they have now forfeited their characters.
Wow, has it really been that long?? I'm sorry, everyone. Lots of real-life stuff has been coming up lately, and I've been having trouble getting everything together. I've kinda left you guys hanging, haven't I?

As some of you know, I have a genetic disorder that acts up a lot and causes me a lot of health problems (Marfan Syndrome). Lately I've only been able to manage keeping up with my place in the Mount Zoom Challenge, and then only with Glirdan's help. School's been getting out of hand, too. I'm sorry I just left everyone without saying anything. I think I should just leave Fion as an NPC now, so I don't do this to you guys again. It's really not fair to all of you to have to wait for me.

Thank you all. I really enjoyed playing with you, for the time that I was actually involved. Again, I'm really sorry about this.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:21 PM   #909
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeggaladiel
As some of you know, I have a genetic disorder that acts up a lot and causes me a lot of health problems (Marfan Syndrome).
----------------------------
I think I should just leave Fion as an NPC now, so I don't do this to you guys again. It's really not fair to all of you to have to wait for me.
----------------------------
Thank you all. I really enjoyed playing with you, for the time that I was actually involved. Again, I'm really sorry about this.
You have better reasons to not-post than anyone of us. I would like to see you post in, if you just have time and wish to do it.

We can carry Fion when you can't post, but it would be nice, if you had time to read all that has happened, and make one or two contributions yourself too. And really: I'm not trying to pressure you, just hoping that you won't think, that we wouldn't aprreciate your contributions.

I have enjoyed playing with you too! Hope to see you in another game in the future - and even in this, if your health allows...
Old 05-09-2006, 01:59 PM   #910
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Would a writer for the 'scouts' please post us to a campsite soon - one or two posts from the 'scouts' should probably be sufficient to do so.

Then the 'wounded can catch up to you for the night, and we'll go on from there.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:00 PM   #911
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Save filled.

Tevildo: Feel free to have Leod noticing Sythric's bleeding again - or his laughable trial to tighten his own bandages while on the sledge. But as well, from my point of view, we can also get to the evening and assess the damage there... As you wish.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:08 PM   #912
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Would a writer for the 'scouts' please post us to a campsite soon - one or two posts from the 'scouts' should probably be sufficient to do so.

Then the 'wounded can catch up to you for the night, and we'll go on from there.
I'll give Tevildo a chance to have Dorran answer Athwen (or put up a save) and I'll get us into the camp, unless someone else wants to do it.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:29 PM   #913
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Oops!!!

Would that be a lunch camp or a night camp?
Old 05-09-2006, 06:35 PM   #914
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dūm

Folwren,

I took your request and ran with it (quite literally ). Since Arry has asked us to start the wind-up posts for that day for the scouts, I thought I should act out the whole race in a way that would still let Farael go ahead with her next post whenever she wanted and get our whole group into camp. (Normally, I would just have posted my part and let you take it from there.)

Please look carefully at my post, as I've made some big assumptions here and used your character a lot. If you would like to have the race end differently or want your character portrayed in a different light, please let me know on the thread or by pm and I will immediately edit. I am open to suggestions, but wanted to get something up quickly.

Also, if you want to go ahead and give the race from your perspective, you could either (1) go ahead and do that in a regular post if Farael doesn't have her own post up yet, or, if she already has put it up (2) just put a post on the discussion thread and ask Pio or Child move it over just under mine.

Anyways, I hope this is OK. Let me know if changes are needed.

P.S. If this sounds garbled, it is. I am running out the door.

P.P.S. Will try to do a post for Leod later tonight.

Last edited by Tevildo; 05-09-2006 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:55 PM   #915
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dūm

I believe Arry wanted a permanent campsite for the night.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:31 AM   #916
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I guess we will end the game when everyone who wants to develop their character and their character's relationships decides they have done that sufficiently.

So, since the writers have been give the time now to do that, I would hope they would make use of it and post more frequently to the game thread.

There are approximately 4 -5 game days until The Golden Hall is reached. It is up to you to decide how long that will take in real time; how long and how many posts you wish to invest in character development and interaction.

To answer one of Nogrod's questions from his PM, Pio will close the game thread while I am away (5/13 through 5/20).
Old 05-10-2006, 05:03 AM   #917
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Thanks Arry.

It looks much more clearer now.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:18 AM   #918
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tevildo
I believe Arry wanted a permanent campsite for the night.
Since Arry didn't say otherwise in his post I'll go with that. I'll be writing my post after lunch so I think it'll be up around 2 PM (GMT -5 or 6, I'm never sure)
Old 05-10-2006, 10:52 AM   #919
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dūm

Farael--

Would you do a favor for me? In your post, could you have the riders agree to send Dorran back on the trail to meet up with the slower group so he can lead them into camp. (Presumably we've set up camp in a broad clearing somewhat off the actual trail?) I am going to assume this has been done because at the end of my next post Dorran will come trotting up

I am guessing the wounded group should arrive in camp a few hours after the scouts. In my next post, I will get the slower group to the point in the trail where the horserace began: a relatively flat and open pathway. This will hopefully help Sythric who has been having a bumpy time. At that juncture, the slower group will encounter a minor complication (a log on the trail) that should take just a post or two to deal with....

If you have any problems with any of this, let me know.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:57 AM   #920
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tevildo,
Way to scare me!! I thought I had missed your comment when I read your PM, but I guess you posted and then PMd me.

No problem with that, I think my post will be brief as I don't have a whole lot to work with... but I'll have Osmod ask Dorran if he would mind meeting up with the others.