The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-10-2003, 11:56 PM   #121
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

OMG! My entire vision of Viggo Mortensen is ruined! ok, Portrait of a Lady (with Nicole Kidman) was good... 28 days was good. Perfect Murder was good... But G.I Jane AHH!<P>Ok i just watched it for the first time yesterday, and Viggo..well.. i couldnt breathe becuase i was laughing so hard.<P>He is like, a boot camp guy for the Navy Seals, and he wears like, Kylie Minogue Hotpants, you guys have GOTTA see it!<P>I am never going to be able to watch LOTR again with out laughing, (well i laugh anyway at Elrond, so it really doesnt matter)<P>And I saw Liv Tyler opposite Ralph Fiennes in Onegin.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 01:37 AM   #122
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I just saw 'Pirates of the Caribbean,' which is one of the best movies I've seen. Yet, call me crazy, but after seeing this film I don't think Orlando Bloom's acting is at all extraordinary (though still acceptable). One reason for that may be because he is still inexperienced, which is a reasonable explanation. But I think the main reason was because he was working alongside Johnny Depp, whose performance as Captain Jack Sparrow was unforgettable. <P>On a different note: Doesn't Liv Tyler have a role in the upcoming movie 'Jersey Girl?'
Old 07-11-2003, 06:09 AM   #123
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> On a different note: Doesn't Liv Tyler have a role in the upcoming movie 'Jersey Girl?' <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I think so<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> He is like, a boot camp guy for the Navy Seals, and he wears like, Kylie Minogue Hotpants, you guys have GOTTA see it!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Seen it a few times. The first time I got so scared by him I hid the video and didn't watch it until a few days later.
Old 07-11-2003, 08:28 AM   #124
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I just saw 'Pirates of the Caribbean,' which is one of the best movies I've seen. Yet, call me crazy, but after seeing this film I don't think Orlando Bloom's acting is at all extraordinary (though still acceptable). One reason for that may be because he is still inexperienced, which is a reasonable explanation. But I think the main reason was because he was working alongside Johnny Depp, whose performance as Captain Jack Sparrow was unforgettable.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I saw this last night, and yes, I must admit his acting skills need to improve a bit. But her, he <B>is</B> still unexperienced and he's got time to work on them. I hate to say this though cause I am so not an "Orli Freak", but he did look really good in this movie. So all of you who actually are Orli Freaks would like to see this movie...if you havn't already. <P>Oh, and anyone who has seen it answer this. Was I the only one who was imagining Legolas up there doing all the fight scenes instead of Orlando as Will? It might have just been me, but after seeing LOTR so much I just can't get it out of my mind.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 09:53 AM   #125
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

You're not the only one. I was imagining Legolas instead of Orlando on the ship doing all the fight scenes too. Of course, when that kiss scene came around I nearly squeaked in surprise. Imagine Legolas kissing Keira Knightley in that gown. She'd be like, "You pansy! Get away from me!"
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 01:42 AM   #126
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Pirates isnt out here till September! ahhhhhhhhh! im going to go crazy. <P>Meela, i was so scared by GI Jane you have no idea, there were screams in my house from all of my friends. I cant believe how scary he is! well, that is the mark of a great actor, the ability to get you to hate their character, like Jason Issacs in The Patriot.

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 07-12-2003, 03:35 AM   #127
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

I have watched Try Seventeen where Elijah Wood is the lead actor. The movie really sucks and Elijah looks so small compared to Mandy Moore and Franka Potente.<P>Isn't it amazing that Elijah Wood is in Deep Impact and Liv Tyler is in Armageddon???<P>Speaking of Liv, it's not exactly a movie.. but she appeared in a music video by Aerosmith (maybe everyone knows she is the daughter of Steven Tyler, the lead vocalist of Aerosmith). i think the video's title is "Crazy".<P>I really love Hugo Weaving's portrayal of Agent Smith!! Well.. it makes me fall out my seat laughing because he has this weird voice and everything...By the way, he will be in Matrix Revolutions, Part 3 of the Matrix.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 11:38 AM   #128
Eruwen

Tolkien

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I have watched Try Seventeen where Elijah Wood is the lead actor. The movie really sucks and Elijah looks so small compared to Mandy Moore and Franka Potente.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Is that out on video and DVD yet? And in what way was Elijah small compared to Mandy and that other guy I've never heard of? Was the movie <B>that</B> bad?
Old 07-12-2003, 09:37 PM   #129
Cinderella
Wight

Cinderella has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cinderella
Silmaril

I just saw Pirates of the Carribean with Orlando Bloom...the fan girls will die...I know i nearly did...he's pretty good in it...even if you don't like him you should see it, it was great...you get to see his real hair and he's not quite so....eh hem...covered up...*smashes head against wall for being rabid fangirl* btw Johnny Depp is amazing in it...the swordfights are great<P>Also, I just saw a preview for for Viggo Mortensen's new movie its called Hidalgo and its about this guy (Viggo) and his horse and he decides to take part in this race across a desert....it looks really good...for some reason it reminded me of the Mummy <P>Anyhow...'Pirates' is definitely great..I'm sure you can all hear the fangirls multiplying as we speak and Hidalgo looks really good... I guess now that they've been in such major movies Viggo and Orlando won't be able to be so inconspicuous anymore? do I smell teen idols? <p>[ July 12, 2003: Message edited by: Cinderella ]
Old 07-12-2003, 10:14 PM   #130
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Yeah my sister just saw "Pirates..." (she is a mega Orlando fan), and she said that she thought that he was so hot in the movie that her tongue started bleeding because she was biting on it to keep from squeeling.<P>But off of the whole Orli subject...<P>Yes the Aerosmith video that Liv is in is called "Crazy". It is actually a very good video. She and Alicia Silverstone from "Clueless" star as two young girls basically running away from a very conservative school and going on a "Crazy" roadtrip. One of the main Liv highlights is when she takes part in amature night at a strip club (but no, there is no nudity).<P>Oh and that "Try Seventeen" movie is coming out on DVD. But they changed the name of it, it is now called "All I want" (just in case anyone wants to order it from Amazon)
Old 07-13-2003, 02:19 PM   #131
Eruwen

Tolkien

All I want? Really, now, that's interesting. I wonder why they would change the title of the movie like that after it has already been shown to viewers?<P>Oh, and I didn't mean to get off on a whole "Orli fan moment" by telling my review of the movie. I noticed that after my comment of what he looked like that many other people began posting about how hot he was in the movie. Well, I don't really want to get in trouble by mods or nothing so really, I would advise that if you read my post above, not to pay attention to that slight comment. Just in case.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:25 PM   #132
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

I saw Andy Serkis in a film which I watched on DVD on Saturday night called <I>Deathwatch</I>, a so-so horror film set in a trench in World War One (watchable but nothing special). Serkis played one of the soldiers caught in the trench from hell. His character was a complete psychopath (very different to his Gollum character - psycho as opposed to schizo). I was rather disappointed in his performance, given his brilliance in bringing Gollum to life, since his character seemed rather one-dimensional. But that was probably the fault of the script rather than Serkis himself.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:26 PM   #133
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Sting

Going back to Brinniel's question about Tyler being in "Jersey Girl":<P> Yes, she'll be in it. Apparently as a video store clerk. I'm not sure what sort of screen time that means for her. <P>Has anyone else noticed that it seems like a lot of the actors who looked to start being in major roles are taking backround and/or supporting spots? Eljiah Wood and Kirsten Dunst for example, are both going to be in Jim Carrey's movie. "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" which will also star Kate Winslet. Interesting mix huh?<p>[ July 14, 2003: Message edited by: Arwen Eruantale ]

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 06:54 PM   #134
Eruwen

Tolkien

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Has anyone else noticed that it seems like a lot of the actors who looked to start being in major roles are taking backround and/or supporting spots? Eljiah Wood and Kirsten Dunst for example, are both going to be in Jim Carrey's movie. "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" which will also star Kate Winslet. Interesting mix huh?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><B>All</B> of them? In the same movie?!? Wow, I never thought that was possible. Of course, I never imagined Elijah Wood or Kirsten Dunst in a movie with Jim Carrey. Whoa, I've got to look out for this one. Thanks, Arwen.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:56 PM   #135
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

No problem Eruwen, you can find pretty close to all there is to find if you go to yahoo.com and then movies and search Greg's Previews for the movie title. He also has some links to other sites, sources, and even pictures sometimes.

Will you pay attention?
Old 07-14-2003, 08:50 PM   #136
elle
Animated Skeleton

elle has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elle Send a message via MSN to elle
Silmaril

I was watching this movie, and Elijah was a hit man. I am not sure what the movie was , but his part was a change for him. I thought it was cute though, he he he. And Craig Parker is in the Xena series (tv). The LotR Actors are everywhere, so look out!

~*Stop Deforestation, Start Reforestation*~
~*Save our Future, Save a Tree*~
elle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 10:26 PM   #137
balrogman
Wight

balrogman has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I got a couple of things here:<P>Liv is in Jersey Girl, where from what ive heard Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez(SCHWING!) are lovers and Jennifer dies, so Ben Affleck fallis in love with Liv. its directed by Kevin Smith which means its gonna be pretty sweet<P>I havent seen the Goonies in a long time, and this is sorta off topic, but isnt Corey Feldman in it? Anyways Mikey was the best.<P>I saw Pirates of the Caribbean on opening day, and it was rad. Orlando was wicked in the movie, especially in the sword fights. Johhny Depp's character, Captain Jack Sparrow, was a memorable character and was funny as hell! i found myself leanin to my friends in the movie and sayin "no way Sparrow could beat an elf in a swordfight!"<P>Hidalgo with Viggo looks pretty cool, and thats comin from someone who HATES horses! but the whole desert storm scene in the trailer reminded me of the mummy too!<P>And another thing, since girls can have their Orlando Bloom, us dudes should have someone to "ogle", but the thing is LotR is kinda a bummer for chicks, Liv is pretty hot, but it needs a "STONE COLD BABE!" in there<P>wow that was a long post *catches breath*
Old 07-15-2003, 08:39 AM   #138
Eruwen

Tolkien

Has anyone heard anything about the movies Thumbsucker {Elijah Wood} or Chasing the Laddie {Sean Astin}? They are supposed to come out this year, and I was wondering if anyone had heard any news about them.
Old 07-15-2003, 08:52 AM   #139
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I was watching Young Hercules the other day, and I saw Craig Parker as Herc's half-brother Lucius. Talk about luscious! He was wearing black leather pants and a vest that left nothing to the imagination!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 09:37 AM   #140
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Strange... I don't remember Try Seventeen ever coming to theaters. I suppose it was never released where I live, which isn't surprising since a lot of movies aren't played at my town. I haven't heard anything on Hidalgo either; no trailers or anything. <P>When was Try Seventeen's theatrical release date and when does Hidalgo come out?
Old 07-15-2003, 09:50 AM   #141
Eruwen

Tolkien

Try Seventeen supposedly came out in 2002 at some time, but I never heard of it playing either. I never even saw a preview! But can't really help you out with Hidalgo though due to the fact that I've never heard of it before now.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:40 AM   #142
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Question

I know this is wrong for most folks, but given the generation I'm from...<P>I have no plans to see "Pirates" by any stretch of the imagination--not 'cause Orli's in it, just 'cause it's not my kind of movie--but every time I see the commercials for it and see certain members of the <B>cast</B> on a <B>pirate ship</B>--I keep thinking "21 Jump Street meets Goonies meets Lord of the Rings...."
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 11:47 AM   #143
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I must admit that Pirates of the Caribbean has been a good chance for Oli to improve his acting skills and he has done well!<BR>It was an entertaining movie.

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 12:17 PM   #144
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Quote by Brinniel (can anyone tell me how to do these proper?): <P> "When does Hidalgo come out?"<P> It comes out October 3rd this year. And looks to be pretty good. <BR>There's another "horsey movie" coming out a little sooner, August I believe, with "Spiderman" star Tobey Maguire: called "Seabiscut". Apparently both movies were accidentally set to be released in the same week, (the August one) but as "Seabiscut" had first dibs on it Disney pushed "Hidalgo" back to October. Imagine the competition if they'd left them....

Will you pay attention?
Old 07-15-2003, 01:08 PM   #145
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

A lot of the actors, being from NZ, have starred in a lot of the same tv shows, ie. Craig Parker and Marton Csokas were both in Xena and Hercules.<BR>Shortland Street starred 5 Lotr actors at various points: Craig, Marton, Karl Urban, Ian Hughes (Beregond), and Mark Ferguson (Gil-Galad).<BR>A lot of Australian actors probably worked together as well. David Wenham and Hugo Weaving were in 3 films together.<P>Oh, and the other day I taped A Midsummer Nights Dream and learnt that Bernard Hill was in it.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:38 AM   #146
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Elijah was a hit man <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Closes eyes***<P>"nope i cant even begin to imagine it!"

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 07-16-2003, 09:22 AM   #147
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> It comes out October 3rd this year. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>That's pretty far away. Perhaps that's why I haven't heard anything yet. Well, if it's a Disney movie, I'm sure it'll be released in my town. <P>Arwen Eruantale- Here's how you do a quote: <B>[QUOTE]insert quote here[/QUOTE</B> (except add on a bracket at the end). Even easier, you can press the <B>QUOTE</B> button underneath <B>Instant UBB Code</B> when you post.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:00 PM   #148
Elveneye

Sting

I have seen Christopher Lee in Star Wars, and Ian McKellen in X men and Elijah Wood in Deep Impact, Flipper, and The Faculty (bad movie)! Viggo Mortensen was in A Purfect Murder and he will be in Hidalgo that is not in theaters yet but soon will be. And of course my favorite Orlando Bloom is in Pirates of the caribbean (AWESOME MOVIE)!!! and he is in Black Hawk Down (also an awesome movie) and thats all i know if i think of any more i will post it later!
Old 07-16-2003, 05:23 PM   #149
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>[QUOTE]insert quote here[/QUOTE (except add on a bracket at the end). Even easier, you can press the QUOTE button underneath Instant UBB Code when you post.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> Thanks Brinniel.<BR> -Arwen

Will you pay attention?
Old 07-17-2003, 02:19 AM   #150
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Sting

No Problem, Arwen. <P>The following has been reported on Entertainment Tonight:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The Curse of the Black Pearl' rakes in box office booty, Disney has its sights set on a sequel, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The key players in the film; JOHNNY DEPP, ORLANDO BLOOM, KEIRA KNIGHTLY, producer JERRY BRUCKHEIMER, the director and writers, have all reportedly been approached for a second adventure on the high seas. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Woohoo!! Looks like we might have a sequel coming for 'Pirates.' <P>Another movie for Orlando.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:26 AM   #151
Eruwen

Tolkien

Yeah, I heard on the TV Guide channel that if the movie went well, they would do a series with Pirates of the Carribean. I'm not sure if this meant a series of movies or a tv series, but according to the news of the possible sequal, it might have meant series of movies...which is a VERY good thing for that movie rocks! Plus I don't like tv series's as much because they usually don't use the same actors they did in the movie, and that ruins everything.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:31 PM   #152
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>they usually don't use the same actors they did in the movie, and that ruins everything.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I could not agree more. Nice to know I'm not the <I>only</I> one who thinks that...

Will you pay attention?
Old 07-17-2003, 06:45 PM   #153
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Closes eyes***<P>"nope i cant even begin to imagine it!" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>*shudders*<P>ME NEITHER!!!
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 01:35 AM   #154
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The Faculty (bad movie)! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>No way! it was awesome!!! We had a great laugh!... or maybe it was because we watched it as 3AM? However there is no doubt that he is a great actor, they all are, why would Peter pick them if they were crap?

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 07-18-2003, 09:01 AM   #155
Airerûthiel
Wight

Airerûthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've seen Elijah Wood in The Ice Storm and Deep Impact, Liv Tyler in Stealing Beauty (at least I think that was what it was called), Sean Bean in Goldeneye, Cate Blanchett in Elizabeth and Bandits, Orlando Bloom in Black Hawk Down and Pirates of the Carribbean, Christopher Lee in Star Wars and The Wicker Man (he terrified the life out of me in that)...and I think that's about it.<P>Edit: Oh, and I saw Sir Ian McKellen in both the X-Men movies as well. As well as Hugo Weaving in both the Matrix movies, and Bernard Hill in A Midsummer Night's Dream.<P>New discussion thread: anyone seen any actors from LOTR on stage? My sister and her friend have seen Sir Ian McKellen when he was in a play on the West End in London earlier this year (I can't remember what the play was called).<p>[ July 18, 2003: Message edited by: Airerûthiel ]
Old 07-18-2003, 09:26 AM   #156
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

Was it Dance Of Death? I read reviews for Sir Ian's play. And I would have loved to have seen Sean Bean in Macbeth.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:32 AM   #157
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The only movies I really know that have LOTR actors in are Orlando Bloom movies. well, there are Pirates of the Caribbean, Ned Kelly, Troy, and black hawk Down. I also know that Viggo Mortenson is going to star in the movie Hidalgo (sp?) that is all I really know, but if i find out more, I'll update!
Old 07-20-2003, 04:12 PM   #158
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

I just saw Pirates of the Caribbean today. It was really cool!<P>Many of the actors in LOTR don't seem to have been in a lot of famous movies (with the exception of Christopher Lee, John Rhys-Davies and Ian Mckellen), but they seem to be getting into famous movies now. (e.g. Orlando Bloom in Pirates). I can hardly see that as a coincidence.
Old 07-20-2003, 06:09 PM   #159
Eressië Ailin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eressië Ailin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eressië Ailin
Question

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> ~Ian Holm~<BR>Alien<BR><B>Les Miserables</B><BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ian Holm? In Les Miz? (Not the musical, of course, I knew that) Who? Who was he?!?!?!?!
Eressië Ailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 07:22 PM   #160
Elven Maiden Earwen

Sting

I just found this topic. Interesting.<P> I just have to add my 2 cents saying POTC (Pirates) was relly good. Me and my sister have seen it three times already. Johney Depp was hirlarious, Kirea Knightly did great and Ortlando ( not a big fan of his) looked really good, and did a great job (Warning: he had the worst lines in the begining of the movie.) I would recomend this movie to anyone. And the pirates arn't that scary (but the monkey on the other hand he was plain freaky! ). <P>Can't wait til the sequel! <P>Drink up me hearties Yo Ho<BR> <P>Forever~Earwen<p>[ July 20, 2003: Message edited by: elven maiden Earwen ]