Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2004, 05:34 PM   #41
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Oh, not to worry, Alak. I was concerned you might feel too much pressure from the combined suggestions of Kransha and myself and I wanted you to feel free to make your own decisions about your character.

I really like the way Firefoot and Aywlen have created very different personalities for the Royal Children. But everyone has done a splendid job and I am very excited to be gaming with all of you. Fordim, you are much to be congratulated for inspiring a formidable group of talented writers with a fascinating scenario.

Bekah was fourteen at the time of the arranged marriage, so she is now thirty-nine If anyone thinks this is too young, I'll make her fifteen and now forty. Middle age! A time for self-reflection and self-appraisal.

Fordim, I have a question which concerns elements of the Legendarium rather than character so I assume it is okay with you to ask this here. What kind of time span in the mannish lives are we looking at? Are the Pastians long lived, like Western men used to be? Or are we looking at the usual historical range of medieval humans, being at the most 50 to 55 years on average. (actually, I think it is closer to 45.) Clearly with the question of limiting Avari service to 99 years, and having very long lived elves in Pashtia, the nature of human mortality might become a significant consideration here. Not necessarily, but maybe.Or maybe not.

This is all just so cool. And I have reached my smilie limit and so I cannot use the cool or smokin' smilies.

See y'all on the game thread!
Old 11-13-2004, 05:53 PM   #42
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
I imagine there is some very natural antagonism between Bekah and her daughter, as is usual during the teen years when a daughter is establishing herself as an adult and wanting to move beyond the mother's sphere. This need not be a political dispute but for the time simply a personal state in their relationship. Does this make any sense to you?
Oh, Bethberry! It makes perfect sense, and I know very well what it is you speak of. I'm afraid I would not have good understanding from the motherly end of the spectrum, though.

Quote:
Bekah was fourteen at the time of the arranged marriage, so she is now thirty-nine If anyone thinks this is too young, I'll make her fifteen and now forty.
Not too young at all...at least, not to young to have two teen-aged children. This would make 15/16/17 (probably 16/17) a good age for Gjeelea, unless Bekah was younger than...25 (?) when giving birth to her. How old is a good age for the Pashtians to be having children, Fordim? In our age it is certainly not too old to be having children at 25, but...

I'm just wondering, because we have not established the royal children's ages yet.

-Aylwen
Old 11-13-2004, 06:09 PM   #43
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Lifespan. . .hmmm. . .well, these people eat a diet high in vegetables and grains, some meats, lots of fruits. They live in a climate that is warm and thus spend a good deal of time outside getting their exercise. They are wealthy and educated, sophisticated. I would say that the only model I can find like this would be Imperial Rome (ca. 100 AD) when life expectancy among the praetorian classes was as high as 65-70 (when things like epidemics and natural disaster are factored out).

Given the good health (not to mention dynastic aspirations) of these people, then, Bekah could most certainly have had children earlier than 25 (probably much earlier. . .say. . .15??) and also later. She's capable of bearing a child at 39, although that might not be such a good idea for her health. So by my reckoning her kids could be any age up to about 24.

So Faroz and Bekah were 17 and 14 when they were married. . .a very intriguing set of ages. I remember how extremely young 14 year olds seemed to me when I was 17.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:22 PM   #44
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Royal children's ages

In that case... I would like Siamak to be in his late teen years (17-19 area) if that works? Aylwen's character would have to be around 20 then - I'm not sure what age preference you might have, Aylwen. I figure that if they are older they can better understand the workings of the palace and have a more active involvement.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:52 PM   #45
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Whatever you want is fine, Firefoot.

Though I doubt there will be too much 'natural antagonism' between Bekah and Gjeelea, in this case. Maybe there would be since the two still live together. I don't know. Thoughts, Bethberry?

So, Siamak can be late teens - I'll say Gjeelea is...21. Does that sound fine to everyone? Any objections to this, I'd be fine for changing.

-Aylwen
Old 11-14-2004, 10:53 AM   #46
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Sounds fine to me, Aylwen. That might actually give the two a chance to get over the antagonistic phase and make tentative movements towards some relationship more congenial, depending on how we relate to the issues here which Fordim has intriguingly given us.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:37 PM   #47
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril Zamara

Greetings all,

King Hedgethistle, I present to you...the priestess.

Zamara, High Priestess of Rhais, is currently the principle priestess of Pashtia, and as the earth mother is valued over the sky god, this makes her more powerful than the priests as well. However, she is quite young, only in her mid-twenties, and very striking, but her devotion to Rhais is very powerful. Like all Pashtians, she is dark, but her black hair, unusually, is slightly wavy, and is worn either loose and entwined with golden cords, or in a long plait reaching past her waist. One of the only women in Pashtia who can venture outside without the covering of a scarf or shawl, and not be thought less off, her skin is rich dark brown, darker than most well-born Pashtians, despite the long hours spent inside the temple; her wide, slightly slanted eyes are almost black, but seem to have a hint of blue in them, something which some attribute to the fact she spends much time in the ‘prescence’ of Rhais. She stands tall and straight at about 5 ft 10 and is quite slim, although her elegant, enviable figure is covered by the flowing, floor length silk robes she wears, white or plain rather than bright colours like the other Pashtians, and fastened at the waist by a gold cord. Zamara wears gold bands at her wrists and one around her neck (think Aztec-style gold), as well as a simple gold chain and medallion that falls to mid-chest, the centre piece of which is a golden tree growing out of a rich, dark red ruby – the symbol of Rhais, and Zamara’s medallion of status.

The priestess is deeply sensitive, and very strongly opinionated, but she tends to keep her opinions to herself, forgetting very little. She forms opinions fast, and rarely forgets a face or situation - a trait necessary when dealing with those who worship Rhais. Despite her striking beauty, Zamara is not vain, and her entire life is taken up with the upkeep of the temple and the worship of Rhais: the temple is a sheltered world that she loves deeply, but she is also required to venture out, more often of late, for the requirements of the king and court. She is not married, devoting her life to Rhais, but even a High Priestess is not perfect…

The King has been asked by several of his nobles to erect a new temple in the city to the honour of Rea. This party hopes that such a temple will help their cause to have the sky god worshipped above Rhais, the goddess of the earth.

Zamara quite strongly opposes the idea of a new temple being built in honour of Rea, as it would undoubtedly overshadow Rhais, who is held as the more superior deity at the moment. The tradition has always been that the priests take care of Rea and the priestesses take care of the worship of Rhais, and as High Priestess, Zamara would therefore be in a rather precarious position if Rea was to become the ‘superior’ deity – and with this, Tarkan would become the High Priest. Zamara and Tarkan have come to an arrangement over the years whereby they work with each other as little as often, as although she would never let it be publicly known, she has some distaste for the priest: his obsession with power, and the odd look that he gets in his eyes when blessing Gjeelea, is something that makes the Priestess uneasy. She is not a greedy woman, but would rather hold the reins rather than Tarkan: if he was to become High Priest and marry Gjeelea, as Zamara suspects his intentions to be, he would command both state and religion, and that is always a dangerous position to be in, especially for one such as Tarkan.

ii) For the last few years there have been calls for a law that would limit the term of service of any Avari in a royal posting to ninety-nine years. There are many amongst the nobility who feel that too many of the highest positions in the kingdom are closed to humans by the immortals who currently occupy them. Does the player?s character think that such a law would be just?

Her view on this matter is less certain. The Avari as a people support neither Rea nor Rhair particularly, and the immortals’ familiarity and indifference to the gods makes Zamara uneasy: but they hold the positions well, and it is well known that they are superior to men in their battle. Besides, the Avari pay her due respect, and the very worship of Rhais is centred in their myths; and after serving in a military post for years, how could they simply be cast aside? She is undecided either way: military matters are a mystery to her.

iii) The King has yet to declare his heir. Does the player?s character think that it should be the King?s son, who is the younger child, or should the King choose his daughter, in which case the noble she is promised to in marriage will rule?

As Priestess of the earth mother, and seeing the way in which the male dominated kingdom is veering, Zamara would support the daughter of the king as heir – in theory. Tarkan’s attitude towards Gjeelea of late have put things into a rather different perspective (and the fact that frankly, Zamara is rather suspicious of Gjeelea herself). Siamak, on the other hand, is a thoughtful individual, much quieter and gentler than his sister, or so it seems to Zamara: she has met the him only formally, and would very much like to have the chance to talk more with the young Prince, to determine his values of each of the gods. Despite her feminine position, and the expectation that many of the subordinate priests and priestesses may hold of her views, Zamara would feel safer, and more secure, if Siamak was named heir.

~*~

I hope you find her satisfactory.

- Aman.

ps. personally, I would refer back to Gladiator again, but only because it is on my mind - the eastern music in 'To Zucchabar' seems fitting.

Last edited by Amanaduial the archer; 11-15-2004 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:26 AM   #48
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
The General's son

I apologise for the long wait. I'm afraid it was not my will that was the biggest obstacle, rather my computer that has been acting most strange lately….

Evrathol is the son of Arlöme and Morgôs.

Evrathol is often thought of as a quiet and restricted person, but he opens up as soon as there are more people around him. Evrathol is very much like his father in appearance, maybe more than personality.

He has some of the same paleness as his father, which is emphasised by the black raven hair. Although the colour of his eyes makes small resemblance with his father’s, the structure of the eye itself, is very much alike. Evrathol is tall like both his parents and carries himself like an elegant creature, full of confidence. Even though he is young, he is far more confident and self conscious than one might have thought in the first place.

i) The King has been asked by several of his nobles to erect a new temple in the city to the honour of Rhais. This party hopes that such a temple will help their cause to have the sky god worshipped above the goddess of the earth. Does the player?s character support or oppose the construction of the new temple?

Evrathol has no objections towards the new temple, nor does he support it fully. He doesn't directly have any concerns about the outcome of the new temple, which keeps him neutral -for now at least.

ii) For the last few years there have been calls for a law that would limit the term of service of any Avari in a royal posting to ninety-nine years. There are many amongst the nobility who feel that too many of the highest positions in the kingdom are closed to humans by the immortals who currently occupy them. Does the player?s character think that such a law would be just?

Evrathol strongly opposes to such a law, like his parents. He finds it most unjust towards his kind because it has always been like this and he see no reason to change it now. He also knows that his father would probably loose his strong position, something Evrathol or the rest of the family, wouldn't have any great benefit of.

iii) The King has yet to declare his heir. Does the player’s character think that it should be the King’s son, who is the younger child, or should the King choose his daughter, in which case the noble she is promised to in marriage will rule?

Once again, Evrathol is not certain if this is anything that concerns him, so he doesn't find it suitable for him to have any clear opinion. He is not comfortable expressing it either. He is, however, a person who likes traditions and appreciates those the Pashtian have. If he was to choose between the two of them, disregarding the old traditions and laws, he would anyhow choose the son. Even though Siamak is not outspoken, nor very confident Evrathol is of that opinion that they may have some things in common. Evrathol could also see himself working with Siamak in the future.

Cheers,
Orofaniel

PS. Looks neat everyone! Can't wait for the game to begin.

Last edited by Orofaniel; 11-15-2004 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:20 PM   #49
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Oro -
Quote:
Siamak is outspoken, very confident
Whoa, this is completely opposite Siamak's character - he keeps his opinions to himself and completely lacks self-confidence. Maybe you missed the word 'not' in my original post. Anyhow, if those are characteristics your character is looking for, maybe his choice would not be the son.

Re Ages: I'll make Siamak 18 years old.

Last edited by Firefoot; 11-15-2004 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:32 PM   #50
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Silmaril

Quote:
Whoa, this is completely opposite Siamak's character - he keeps his opinions to himself and completely lacks self-confidence. Maybe you missed the word 'not' in my original post. Anyhow, if those are characteristics your character is looking for, maybe his choice would not be the son.

Sorry. I certianly missed the "not" in your post.

I've edited it now though. Hope it's alright.

Thanks Firefoot - it'll never happen again. ;-)

Heh.

Oro
Old 11-15-2004, 01:26 PM   #51
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Novnarwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Novnarwen Send a message via Yahoo to Novnarwen
Boots

Hi!

This is starting to get very exciting - seeing all the spots having been filled by excellent writers and creative characters!

I was just going to make a little note, or request regarding my character Tarkan.

Even though he might seem very evil now, he might change, (and he might not, ) during the Game. For now, I was hoping that no one would suspect him for anything. He is after all a priest! Who on earth would believe Tarkan has other than good intentions? He might appear odd to you, but please do not suspect too much just yet.

If you do, then I think that it'll be very hard for Tarkan to surprise you during the writing process. It'll also be very hard for me as well, (please note that I'm not complaining) to write for a character who has already been 'judged' in advance, because I won't have anything to go on. I'm not trying to make this difficult, but Tarkan has done nothing yet to deserve suspicion. I honestly believe it would be somewhat wrong to suspect him of anything at this point. For now, he is none other than the younger (I decided that just now, if that's alright, Master Fordim) half-brother of the King, who happens to be a priest...

Short question: Fordim, are we to put up real bios now? Or do we wait?

Thanks,
Nova
Old 11-15-2004, 01:43 PM   #52
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

I've editted my post but only with a superficial change for to darken Zamara's skin. *shrugs* Little things. And it seems 'To Zucchabar' is actually not really fitting. Maybe 'sorrow'. Or turn to the Troy soundtrack, particularly '3200 years ago' or 'Hector's death'.

Novnarwen: would you like me to edit. It would be tricky as I have used Tarkan quite alot in my answers: it seemed fitting as they would work together. Zamara does not honestly think Tarkan is a bad person, she would not act on this, but it is just in her nature that she is very observant. If you feel very strongly though, I will edit.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:07 PM   #53
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Almost there!

Hip Hip Huzzah! The characters are done, the characters are done!!

To answer your question Nova: no, no more bios or histories or anything. Let's save all that sort of thing for the game thread, and let's allow it to happen there. Let's find out who we all are through the process of writing to each other.

For example, I've just found out that Faroz's father was a philanderer! For Tarkan to be the younger half-brother, well, it's clear that the former King was up to some extra-curricular activity since Pashtia is a monogamous society. Add to this that the former King obviously took care of his bastard son, elevating him to nothing less than the level of the high priest. . .!!!

I really do wonder how Tarkan and Faroz will get along? Perhaps they can speak for a bit at the dinner and we'll find out.

Remember everyone. . .the Inns, the Inns, the Inns!!!

Note About First Posts: It has come to my attention that in a game which is supposed to be wide open, I have been a bit too, shall we say, programmatic in my dictation of the first posts and what they should be about. This is quite right, and I apologise, so allow me to ammend -- Faroz concludes his audience with the Emissary by announcing that there will be a sumptuous banquet that night to honour his arrival. Feel free to begin writing your first posts at any point, then, between the interview with the Emissary (perhaps even during it) up to and perhaps including the start of the banquet.

As this might mean that the first posts will cover some different stretches of time, you can post them to the DT or PM them to me and I will put them in the game thread in a logical order when I open it on Wednesday morning. So if you want to write a post now go ahead and put it here, but you don't have to do that -- if you'd rather wait until Wednesday and see what all is going on before you begin, then that's fine too.

Just 42 hours left (more or less)!
Old 11-15-2004, 05:36 PM   #54
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

First post for Siamak

Siamak hurried out of the large hall as soon as the audience with the emissary was concluded. He was troubled, though he could see no reason for it, and wanted to think before he spoke with anyone. The halls of the palace were empty with the exception of an occasional servant, for all the nobles had attended the audience, curious about these strange foreigners, and they were most certainly strange. Unconsciously he reached up and fingered his black beard, its shorter length attesting to his youth. The beard, or lack thereof, had been only the first of many differences. They had been tall and of proud bearing, with startlingly blue and gray eyes. He was suspicious of them, for more reasons than their physical appearance. He had never seen men from across the Great Desert, and he didn’t know why they should be here now. What good would an alliance with Pashtia, hundreds of leagues away from the lands of the emissaries, do this Lord Annatar? It wasn’t as if any of the eastern lands had ever assaulted the west. Which made him wonder, had an emissary been sent to Alanzia as well? To Pashtia’s other neighboring countries? For all their fair words, he did not think that their motives were as noble as they were being led to believe.

His brow was furrowed in a thoughtful frown as he meandered through the many passages of the palace. The walls were richly adorned in colorful tapestries and lined with sculptures and statues. Siamak noticed none of these, however, buried in thought as he was. Subconsciously, he had taken himself towards the gardens within the palace walls. He had been raised in the palace, and knew the halls and rooms like the back of his hand, though for one less familiar it would have been easy to become lost.

The gardens were quite possibly his favorite place in the palace, especially the private ones limited to the royal family. There, he could be alone with his thoughts and away from the various court schemes for power and manipulations of the nobles to get the laws they favored passed. There were some days when Siamak thought he would be happy as a simple farmer, away from the complexities of palace life. Most of the time, though, he did enjoy his life, and deep inside he knew that he wouldn’t leave the palace for anything. He was not concentrated on this now, however, and varying thoughts of the emissaries drifted through his mind.

Siamak wandered over the cobbled pathways of the gardens, letting the chirping of birds and the trickle of water from the fountains set him at peace so that he could think clearly. He finally found a bench in a satisfactory location and sat down. It was shaded by a medium-sized fig tree and had a wide view in either direction to let him know if anyone was coming, though he didn’t really expect anyone. As far as he could tell, he was the only one who visited the gardens on a regular basis, except, of course, the gardeners.

He soon refocused on the issue at hand. The king had announced that there was to be a banquet tonight; he wanted to have his thoughts straightened out before then, because he was fairly confident that his opinion would be asked. Young though he was, at eighteen years of age, as the king’s son and possible heir to the throne, his opinion was not without weight. Nobles often times seemed to be trying to figure out where he stood, wondering if they should support him or his older sister. That didn’t mean that he would tell them his opinions, though; he was a firm believer that he could learn a lot more by listening than by talking.

His thoughts soon brought him to the ring the emissary had given his father. It was unlike any other ring he had ever seen, and if he had had a clearer view of it than many he still hadn’t seen it closely. He wasn’t sure he wanted to, either: anything with that kind of effect on people probably had some kind of magic, and he was tentative around things he didn’t understand, especially if it was from so far away... Perhaps he was just overanalyzing it. More likely it was simply a ring of great worth and beauty, two things that the culturally-advanced Pashtians certainly understood. Probably the ring was simply a token of good will. Probably.

The whole situation made him uneasy, even though he could pinpoint no reason for it. By all appearances the emissary and their Lord Annatar had nothing but good feelings towards them, and that may have been the problem. Siamak could not figure out why the Lord Annatar wanted their friendship, though he had nothing but proud feelings of his country. Their resources were many and the culture was rich and developed, but it certainly wasn’t practical to trade all the way across the Great Desert. It was simply too far. Pashtia did not want any part in foreign wars, and the transport of troops across so great a distance was unreasonable. Besides, regular communication would be near impossible.

Frustrated that he was getting nowhere, Siamak decided that it was time to go inside. He needed more information before he would be able to form a solid opinion based on facts rather than intuition. He now regretted his hasty retreat from the throne room because he might have been able to learn more about these strangers and their lands. On the other hand, it was just as possible that the emissaries had been escorted to guest rooms to freshen up after their journey leaving the nobles to gossip among themselves. Siamak didn’t like gossip very much - it was usually chock-full of rumors and half-truths, leaving one with the onerous task of deciphering how much of it was fact.

He returned to the palace building by a different way than he had come to a gate that would be closer to his personal living quarters. He had lost track of time out in the garden, and with surprise he had found it to be a few hours later than when he had come out, though there was still plenty of time before the banquet that night. By now, he had probably been missed, but he hoped not. There were very few people that he would be willing to see before tonight. He pushed through the garden gates, paying little heed to the guards there. He turned down the less used corridors in an attempt to avoid people. He knew that his own status was higher than theirs, but nobles made him nervous. They always seemed to want something, whether special favors with the king or some kind of alliance. Not that he wasn’t grateful for their support; if his father was ever going to name him the heir he would need all the support he could get. It wasn’t so much that he wanted to be king as he didn’t want his sister Gjeelea and her betrothed to rule. He didn’t like his sister very much. She was everything he was not: gossipy, manipulative, and out-spoken, and her fiancé was just as bad: greedy and brutish. In truth, he felt rather intimidated by his sister, and she was one of the people he was most trying to avoid.

Siamak sighed in relief when he reached the section of the palace that was the quarters for the royal family. Once he reached his rooms, he would not have to see anyone he did not want to, and he had only to eat a small afternoon meal, think, and prepare for the banquet tonight.

~*~*~*~

There ye are! Can't wait for this to get started.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:51 AM   #55
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Boots We're Off!

The game thread is open. Begin exploring the realm of Pashtia.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:06 AM   #56
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Excellent!

I will do a post as soon as I can....alas, Tuesdays are not good days....

Old 11-16-2004, 12:57 PM   #57
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Boots

Quote:
Novnarwen: would you like me to edit. It would be tricky as I have used Tarkan quite alot in my answers: it seemed fitting as they would work together. Zamara does not honestly think Tarkan is a bad person, she would not act on this, but it is just in her nature that she is very observant. If you feel very strongly though, I will edit.
Amanaduial- You don't need to edit anything. Just a thought however... Even though Zamara is observant, there has been nothing to observe just yet, from Tarkan I mean. I plan to make him anonymous in the beginning, where he doesn't openly express his feelings; certainly not his fondness of the Princess. I hope too, to let the priests have a friendly tone. They don't have to be the best friends, but Tarkan will at least not express any 'nastiness' towards the priestess. I imagine it being some kind of false friendliness, at least that is how Tarkan is going to approach this matter.. If you want, we can discuss this further, and closer, via PM.

I will try to have a post up as soon as possible! The Game is looking great already!

Cheers,
Nova
Old 11-16-2004, 03:26 PM   #58
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

(Completely off-topic side note) Fordim -
Quote:
when I open it on Wednesday morning
Do you know that you've completely confused my days of the week now? I keep thinking it's Wednesday... (Not that I'm complaining, mind you )

Anyhow, everyone's posts look good. Can't wait for the banquet to begin...
Old 11-16-2004, 04:50 PM   #59
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Oookay....forgive this stupid question of mine:

I was driving in the car on the way home from Geometry class, thinking about my post, when I suddenly realized two things:

1. Do the women have to wear the veils in a banquet like setting such as this? (If they do, how do they eat?)

2. What kind of veils? Heavy, black, dark coloured veils (Islamic/Muslimish veils), or light, wavy, translucent veils. Would they wrap around the entire head? I'm sorry...I tried to find pictures and if this has already been addressed forgive me for not seeing it.

Old 11-16-2004, 05:04 PM   #60
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
w00t! My first post is up.

I am afraid that, in fact, it may be too long, so much so that is is a bit long-winded. I certainly hope that, despite its novella length, it is readable.

Fordim: The description of my first secondary character is contained in my post, as are *other things*. I described the Kanak Palace courtyard in great detail, and I hope all is in order. Also, I hope that my post does not chronologically conflict with any posts that will be put up soon. I will, of course, edit if need-be.

Morgôs is off to find his way in the palace, and wondering where his son and spouse are...which reminds me, where are his son and spouse?

alak and/or Bb: Is Arlome currently in the palace with Queen Bekah, part of her retinue as always? I'd like to know, just in case I have to tweak my post a bit in light of her whereabouts.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies

Last edited by Kransha; 11-16-2004 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:22 PM   #61
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

If I may step in here as a writer of a female character and offer one reply to Imladris's question: None of the sources I read about ancient Parthia or ancient Persia had women dressed in veils. Fordim has placed Pashtia and Alanzia in a very ancient culture which by some thousands of years predates the typical kind of culture we associate with early Muslim countries. Veils for women came, if I am not mistaken, with Islam. (I hope I am not wrong about this.)

Thus, Bekah will not wear a veil. She might wear a headress with a crown with flowing cloth, but she will not cover herself up. In fact, I think I will decide right now that the only time she will cover her head with any kind of shawl will be when she needs protection from the sun.

But I don't suppose we have to have unanimity about this. Maybe the unmarried girls wear veils, as Aylwen has chosen to represent the daughter?

Kransha, please check your PMs.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 11-16-2004 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:39 PM   #62
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Pashtian women do not wear veils. They do, however, cover their heads with elaborate scarves (but not their faces) -- unless they are highly unconventional like, apparently, our Queen!
Old 11-16-2004, 05:45 PM   #63
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

My apologies...I went back to your note on dress and even though I read "scarf" I translated it as veil...my apologies...

Old 11-16-2004, 06:21 PM   #64
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Posted by Kransha
alak and/or Bb: Is Arlome currently in the palace with Queen Bekah, part of her retinue as always? I'd like to know, just in case I have to tweak my post a bit in light of her whereabouts.
Arlomë is in the palace with the Queen. I will have a post ready soon.

Also, Nuru brought this up earlier, but I don't think it was answered. How are we to view servants? Would it be strange for Morgôs and Arlomë to have servants in their home?
Old 11-16-2004, 06:32 PM   #65
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Hmmm...I'll go edit then. Good quesion, Immy...one that never actually crossed my mind though. I should have read more carefully.

I'm going for a record number of edits on my first post. I keep catching little things just after I hit the edit button for the previous mistake!

-Aylwen

Last edited by Aylwen Dreamsong; 11-16-2004 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:03 PM   #66
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Of servants and Slaves

Imladris: you have Lady Arhsalous addressing a slave; this should be edited, as Pashtia is not a slave-holding society. There are servants, but not slaves.

To answer the questions about how servants are regarded, I cite the Game Bible (otherwise known as the proposal):

Quote:
for although it is a socially divided and strictly hierarchical society, the upper echelons of the citizenry do not look down upon nor denigrate those below them. One's position in society is simply a fact of their existence, and not a moral or societal judgement of one's worth.
So there are distinct differences between master and servant, but it is not a tyrannical relationship. Now, that having been said, our characters are individuals and some will be more kindly to the servants than others. . .

Just a note to everyone who's posted so far: wow. I really mean that. These posts are wonderful, and are beginning to create a fascinating world.

One More Note: there seems to be a bit of fuzziness about the layout of the Palace. As I pictured it, there's a large outer wall surrounding the gardens. In the gardens there are villas, statues, etc. In the middle of the garden is the Palace. The Palace, like all Pashtian homes, is built like a square with an open courtyard in the centre. In this courtyard are more gardens, as well as the obelisk and the well. The King's audience chamber is in the palace building itself.

Is this how everyone else sees it??
Old 11-16-2004, 10:49 PM   #67
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Edited. I'm sorry, I don't think I've ever been so absent minded before.

Old 11-17-2004, 03:27 PM   #68
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

I hope that my post is satsifactory and that I have made no more stupid and careless mistakes.

Nuru, I thought we could do with a dose of tension ( ) so I had Arshalous pay her cousin a little visit. I hope that I portrayed everyting correctly...if anything displeases you let me know and I will edit accordingly.

Old 11-17-2004, 04:03 PM   #69
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Imladris, your post was fine. I particularly liked your description of Korak's gloomy abode.

I have posted, and likewise inform me if I have portrayed your character incorrectly.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:20 PM   #70
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Immy and Nuru: great posts both, I am delighted to see the gamers starting to interact with each other. Just a note, however: you've been posting comments to the DT that might more effectively be done through PM. I'd like to ask all gamers that if there's a comment or question which concerns just one or two other specific characters, please deal with them directly. I'd like to keep the DT for more generalised concerns/questions and for dealing with issues of housekeeping.

To that end:

The Emissary has been sent off to the courtyard before the banquet. Anyone who wants to use him should feel entirely free to do so. This is your chance to meet the future Witch King of Angmar up close and personal!

EDIT: Out of curiousity I copied the game thread to a word document and reformatted it. Turns out that we've already written 18 000 words -- that's 58 double-spaced pages. Hmmm. . .that's a lot of reading for those who haven't posted yet.

Of course, about 53 of those 58 pages were from Kransha. . .

Last edited by Fordim Hedgethistle; 11-17-2004 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:43 PM   #71
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

One word: WOW. That's a lot of pages - and I think about half of them must have been posted while I was trying to write my own post...

Anyhow, I introduced my own main secondary character in my post. The emissary being open was very tempting but, alas, I don't have any more time now.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:52 AM   #72
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Silmaril o.0

Wow. I thought Rohan games were slower... I was wrong, obviously.

The 19 posts I had to cath up, however, was a great read. Lovely. (Not 19...Maybe....12?)

So, my first post is up. Please do sue me if I've got anything wrong etc.

Cheers,
Oro
Old 11-18-2004, 10:53 AM   #73
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Following my own dictum, I think that this query belongs in the DT rather than in PM (RPG Acronyms Abound: RPGAA).

Bethberry, I have a question about your post. You have the Emissary hidden from the Queen's eyes and wearing a "ring upon his finger". I am a bit unclear as to what is going on here. Is the Emissary wearing his Ring and thus invisible? Or is he wearing some other, normal ring and hiding in the shadows?

(I thought it important to clarify this in open discussion so that we can all be consistent in our use of the Emissary. If he is already using his Ring to spy on people, that would be important for everyone to know. . .not to mention totally cool! )
Old 11-18-2004, 10:59 AM   #74
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Opps, nope, I did not mean to imply he was hidden by virtue--heh--of his Ring. I really meant that he is hiding out in the shrubbery, so to speak. I meant to imply he was relying upon some sort of power it gives him via Annnatar to try to search out people's hidden desires and motivations. I was thinking in particular of your comment that as he speaks for Annatar, his own personal name will not be known.

I shall edit to have him hold the Ring that is around his neck or in his pocket or other some such nifty side step. He does have his own ring, right? Or is it neater that he is using the invisibility thing already?

Last edited by Bęthberry; 11-18-2004 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:15 AM   #75
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Thanks Bb that's much more clear.

To answer your question: he does have his Ring in his possession but obviously is not wearing it. As to should he be using it now or not. . .I don't know. . .it's your post so you can have it however you want it. (Freedom for the writers, remember? ) Whatever you decide to do, the rest of us will write our posts to reflect that decision.

I must say how much fun I am having discovering this culture and the people in it. There are all sorts of things about this world I did not know: a nearby mountain range (I wonder what they look like up close? Or if anyone lives there?); the apparently widespread use of poison; the ornate nature of decoration; the religious practices, and apparently deep religiousity of the women as compared to the men; the extremely compelling sense of dislocation felt by the Avari -- not to mention the host of secondary characters fleshing out the tale.

I sure do hope that the banquet begins soon, as I want to see what happens when these people get together!!!
Old 11-18-2004, 12:17 PM   #76
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

I've made the edit to show that he uses the ring to draw upon Annatar's power to analyse her better. I'm assuming here that the power of reading people's 'heart's desire' will lead to his appealing to those desires as he wishes to draw people under his influence. He becomes invisible but is still not thoroughly used to these space warp jumps.

Having just posted, I believe it will be someone else who can get the party rolling.
;p
Old 11-18-2004, 12:49 PM   #77
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
That little person is me, Bethberry. I've unoffically started the banquet. (Hurrah?)

Question:
Are we (our characters, that is) just to stride in at our leisure, as we would do at an Inn, or will we be greeted and 'escorted' inside, and then left to mingle with who we choose?
Old 11-18-2004, 01:18 PM   #78
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurumaiel
That little person is me, Bethberry. I've unoffically started the banquet. (Hurrah?)

Question:
Are we (our characters, that is) just to stride in at our leisure, as we would do at an Inn, or will we be greeted and 'escorted' inside, and then left to mingle with who we choose?
Seems best to me if we treat it like one of the Inns. So come inside and make yourself comfortable. Be sure to pay attention to who is there ahead of you (or not), and as with the Inns, strike up conversations and begin those plot-lines!

Some info from an earlier post: the banquet is being held in a large hall just off the courtyard. The hall is filled with a number of smaller round tables and we can arrange ourselves around them with whomever we wish (although the Queen's table is, as Bb has pointed out, getting quite full).

Note: remember that this is an eastern country based loosely on the Persian Gulf region. If you want to get into food descriptions (I know I will) try to make sure that you catch the local flavour (pun alert).

Last edited by Fordim Hedgethistle; 11-18-2004 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:24 PM   #79
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Boots Whee!

Great posts everyone! I truly enjoyed reading them. I read 12 posts today... Because everything is moving so fast, I barely get to post! Eeeek! I'll try to do better; I’ll try to post more...

Anyway, just a short note about my post, if you were curious.. or if you weren't.. I've brought another character into the picture; he'll be following Tarkan closely, so do pay heed.. Tarkan has described him as a 'Servant' (from his point of view). Pelin, is not a personal servant though; he is someone who serves in the Temple(s) as well. I did write that in my post. I just thought I'd make it perfectly clear.

Also, I have taken the privilege to let Pelin call Tarkan 'Father'. As Tarkan is older, and have a better position than Pelin, I thought it was suitable. Okay.. maybe not suitable, but I'm having one of days again when superiority is important. Hehe.

Please let me know if my post needs any edits.

Nova
Old 11-18-2004, 01:26 PM   #80
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

I was simply going to edit my previous post here but now with other posts, I probably should make a new one. So I will.

Fordim's question about whether the Emissary was using his Ring for invisibility has worked on my imagination this morning. I have gone back to edit my post yet again, to suggest some ways in which he was himself brought under Annatar's influence. And to suggest that he is as yet new at all this. I thought such a proceeding might give us more room to explore his own psychology. Fordim, since he is your character, I hope this is okay. I know you don't want him to overstep Faroz's own story.

And now I will simply wait for an appropriate point in the game where everyone else's posts will inspire me to decide what it was precisely he learnt about Bekah.