The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2009, 01:53 AM   #1401
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
[QUOTE=Groin Redbeard;584645]I assign the month of February to the shire./QUOTE]

Yep, even if it doesn't snow here, February is my favorite month of the year. Half of it is very cold, for tropical standards at least, and by Valentines the summer winds start blowing with the waning cold winds.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:41 PM   #1402
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Watching Disney's Peter Pan in Swedish. It was one of the most entertaining things to happen to me this week. Herr Smee! Herr Smee!
Old 02-19-2009, 12:20 PM   #1403
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Family rodeo's, or just family reunions in general. Nothing beats having family scattered across the country come to together to enjoy some good games, good food, good company, and beautiful Texas nights! It makes up for one spectacular night!
Old 02-23-2009, 03:26 AM   #1404
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Finally having a day to spend time with my mom, and then deciding to sit on our arses' and not lift a finger for anyone. It was epic and definitely Shire worthy, since I can never get her to sit still without someone asking for something or the phone ringing when I'm around.

~ Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:24 PM   #1405
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
The Slovak Lord of the Rings radio play. It's so cool!!!!!!!! Just brilliant!!!!!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:18 AM   #1406
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
Family rodeo's, or just family reunions in general. Nothing beats having family scattered across the country come to together to enjoy some good games, good food, good company, and beautiful Texas nights! It makes up for one spectacular night!
Seconded.

Legal Madness.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:32 AM   #1407
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Having a good cheerleading session - feels like the first time in a while.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:17 PM   #1408
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Free food! Especially good free food! Well any food really, just as long as it doesn't involve peanut butter, shrimp, or steak!
Old 03-05-2009, 01:04 PM   #1409
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
That your country managed to get through a minor snowfall without losing their grip and sang froid on an internationally humiliating scale, and did not totally grind to a halt We used to get far more snow when I was young and we coped.... even in those distant and primitive times...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:50 PM   #1410
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
That your country managed to get through a minor snowfall without losing their grip and sang froid on an internationally humiliating scale, and did not totally grind to a halt We used to get far more snow when I was young and we coped.... even in those distant and primitive times...
It really was minor...

Last edited by Eönwë; 03-05-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #1411
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
It really was minor...
Depends where you are....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/we...-and-rail.html
Dorset still managed chaos. And snow on the beach.

And even we across the border had about the same as last time.. which was nothing compared to when I was a lass...

Old 03-06-2009, 08:31 AM   #1412
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
The Slovak Lord of the Rings radio play. It's so cool!!!!!!!! Just brilliant!!!!!
Wasn't it supposed to be silly?

I assign RPGing. It's Shire-worthy even if your favourite new NPCs die...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:03 AM   #1413
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Wasn't it supposed to be silly?
Oh, no way! Silly just in the way that it's funny to hear it in your neighbors' language (and that Gandalf's main job is to scare people with every single comment he makes). But it's brilliantly done and also far, far better than the movie LotR (the first book was even recorded prior to the movies, so it's completely unbiased, and even the second was made prior to the second movie - not sure if the first movie was out already then).

I also realised I like the radio adaptations far more than the movies because it still leaves your visual senses unaffected, which is the main thing I hate about the movies.

Quote:
I assign RPGing. It's Shire-worthy even if your favourite new NPCs die...
Oh, I understand. Speaking of that, I might add, I know from personal experience that it's great even if the PCs sometimes die...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 03-07-2009, 12:45 PM   #1414
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
I also realised I like the radio adaptations far more than the movies because it still leaves your visual senses unaffected, which is the main thing I hate about the movies.
Yeah, don't you just hate movies that affect your visual senses.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:00 PM   #1415
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Swedish music.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:05 PM   #1416
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Swedish music.
Seconded. Except for their Eurovision song this year, it's horrible. BWO should have won!
Old 03-15-2009, 03:14 PM   #1417
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Except for their Eurovision song this year, it's horrible. BWO should have won!
Oh, wholeheartedly seconded.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:03 AM   #1418
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Having a nice job.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:15 AM   #1419
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Cover songs.

I've been listening to them all too much lately, thanks to finally having a computer that has listenable sounds. Tori Amos is an ace - I like her version of Leonard Cohen's Famous Blue Raincoat even better than the original, and she has also made amazing covers of songs like Smells Like Teenspirit and Like A Prayer. (I like them better than the originals too, but some might consider that a disgrace. )

But, my favourite has to be the GB Ukulele Orchestra and their cover of Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights. It made me laugh so hard I cried. It's priceless.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:42 PM   #1420
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Lommy, that Wuthering Heights cover is hilarious!

I assign having less than 24 hours left to wait for something you've looked forward to for over a month.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:36 PM   #1421
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The few (couple?) weeks of cool but sunny spring weather Maryland gets before it really leaves winter behind and plunges into summer...

Also, even if it's already here, macaroni and cheese...and other such comfort foods.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:14 AM   #1422
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Passing my theory test! Hurrah!
Old 04-01-2009, 05:38 AM   #1423
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I assign having (eventually) passed my driving test in the days before theory tests (and before they put reverse parking in to the practical). Few things fill me with more terror than the idea I might ever have to take my test again...

Old 04-01-2009, 04:04 PM   #1424
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Trips to Olympic National Park.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:10 PM   #1425
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Watching a fat little puppy roll over on his side. Eeeee!

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:27 AM   #1426
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
Watching a fat little puppy roll over on his side. Eeeee!
You're welcome at my family house to see our Japanese pitz newborn pups. They're cute, but sometimes they get on my nerve. We're thinking of naming them after Tolkien characters; our dogs' names are Arwen, Aragorn, Beren, Luthien, and D'Artagnan (whom we fondly call Dirty, because no one can pronounce French here).

Anyway, I assign being on vacation in a very far town after a very tiring semester. Baguio, I love you!

Legal Madness.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:07 PM   #1427
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

I assign having until Monday to get my maths done. I only have 23 problems! This means I get to spend Study Hall on the Barrow-Downs.

I also assign having four of my good friends over to my house to watch Doctor Who this weekend! It will be a party!
Old 04-03-2009, 07:07 AM   #1428
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Travelling.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:24 PM   #1429
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dűm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

Fridays that come right when they're needed most.

I love the reliability of weekends.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:08 PM   #1430
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azaelia of Willowbottom View Post
I love the reliability of weekends.
Yes ma'am. I just had my last real college class, too. I'm still two months shy of graduation, but the two classes between now and then are independent studies. This semester is pretty much done. All that stands between me and a bachelor's degree (apart from several thousand dollars) are a bunch of drawings of evil things.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:46 PM   #1431
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nienna has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to Nienna Send a message via MSN to Nienna
I assign getting into Graduate School and having a future! I will be attending Mass College of Art and Design in Boston!!
Old 04-03-2009, 05:52 PM   #1432
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nienna
I assign getting into Graduate School and having a future! I will be attending Mass College of Art and Design in Boston!!
Yaay! Congratulations Nienna. Welcome to Boston!
Old 04-04-2009, 08:23 PM   #1433
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Continuing the academic theme...

1. Having finished and handed in my first major assignment for the year.
2. Finding that the coding exam everyone was so freaked out about was actually quite easy.
3. Being able to get a good night's sleep for the first time in ages.

Non-academic:

Jumping spiders. They're so cute.

*sits back to await howls of protest from arachnophobic Downers*
Old 04-05-2009, 10:05 AM   #1434
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
In about three months I'll be assigning her to Mordor, but for now: the sun.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:45 AM   #1435
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Leaf Spring!

I second your assignment, Rikae! We finally have reached 80 down here. The gardeners are out in force, flowers are blooming, the rivers are overflowing, our cattle stock is overflowing with little heifers; spring is almost as fun as Autumn!
Old 04-06-2009, 11:15 AM   #1436
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
I second your assignment, Rikae! We finally have reached 80 down here.
I don't know how much is 80, but we have 20 here and it's great. And spring really deserves to be assigned here

EDIT: Wow. 3,999th post. Now, I guess the next one will make it: It is going to be my RPG post, so I hope it will do it justice.

P.P.S.: Eeeek. 4000 posts it will be? I remember when I saw that Saucepan Man had as much as that. I would have never thought back then of reaching such a sum. Scary!
Old 04-06-2009, 11:46 AM   #1437
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
I don't know how much is 80, but we have 20 here and it's great.
80 is equivalent to 27 degrees Celsius (while 20 is 68F). That would be summer weather for me. I'm quite envious of everyone experiencing such nice weather. Over here the weather has consistently stayed between 40-55F (5-13C) during the day with lots of rain and wind, though the sun will occasionally peer out. A typical New England spring, I suppose, but I really do hate this in-between weather and am ready for something warmer...
Old 04-06-2009, 02:56 PM   #1438
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
I second your assignment, Rikae! We finally have reached 80 down here. The gardeners are out in force, flowers are blooming, the rivers are overflowing, our cattle stock is overflowing with little heifers; spring is almost as fun as Autumn!
Our average summer weather is about 65 degrees, last summer we didn't get much above 55.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:40 AM   #1439
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Vermont!!!
Old 04-08-2009, 01:22 PM   #1440
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Thumbs up

80 degrees I would assign to Mordor! It's getting up to 65 sometimes these days though, which is just about perfect.