The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2008, 10:18 AM   #1241
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindale View Post
I'm assuring you aren't referring to emo teenaged boys with those extra-fashionable slashes and scars and cigarette burns on their arms and wrists and who bang their heads to MCR all day long....
Nah...

Goblin kings and pirates.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:17 AM   #1242
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Oh Gawd! Why do I always associate emo-ness and MCR and Evanescence with males in eyeliner?

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:18 AM   #1243
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Oh Gawd! Why do I always associate emo-ness and MCR and Evanescence with males in eyeliner?
Guyliner, if you will...
Old 10-01-2008, 12:54 PM   #1244
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Finally managing to do something I had been planning to do since June. Yeah, I have bad self-discipline, like anyone who has chatted with me late in the evening might know.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:15 PM   #1245
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Quote:
I'm assuring you aren't referring to emo teenaged boys with those extra-fashionable slashes and scars and cigarette burns on their arms and wrists and who bang their heads to MCR all day long....
Hey! I'm a teenaged boy, I borrowed a disk of MCR from the library today and I've used eyeliner and thought of using it tomorrow.

Shire: My new love, Alan Moore's comics.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:28 PM   #1246
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo View Post
Shire: My new love, Alan Moore's comics.
I'm currently having a torrid love affair with Neil Gaiman's. Really, I'm so hopeless about it...
Old 10-04-2008, 05:25 AM   #1247
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I have been following this Guyliner talk and I am torn, because as so many things it can look brilliant, but also be really horrible.

My friend Benjamin used to use it all the time and it looked great on him, I only think he got beaten up once for wearing it. . .

I thought a lot about wearing it my self a few years back, but decided that it would not look great on me and I still belive that. I would probably say it belongs to Orthanc.

One thing that definitly belongs to the Shire is Jareth the Gobling King! On the few other internet forums I use, I always use him as my avy. Actually I should just assign Labyrinth to the Shire, it is such a wonderful film and whenever I see it I get filled with childhood memories.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:58 AM   #1248
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
One thing that definitly belongs to the Shire is Jareth the Gobling King! On the few other internet forums I use, I always use him as my avy. Actually I should just assign Labyrinth to the Shire, it is such a wonderful film and whenever I see it I get filled with childhood memories.
Yes, I have to third that. I haven't seen it for more than a year, but still, it is one of the movies I would certainly list among my favourites... and Jareth is one of the best characters I know...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:42 PM   #1249
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I assign Midol! It's wonderful!
Old 10-04-2008, 07:49 PM   #1250
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

That point that comes after three glasses of champagne when you finally figure how how to walk in stilettos.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:25 AM   #1251
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Used bookstores with Tolkien's Letters, and tobacconists that spend an hour being awesome.

Also pipes and pipe tobacco, and evening campfires and the gorgeous October temperatures that allow the same.

In short, Saturdays where nary a jot of schoolwork gets done.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:16 AM   #1252
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
I assign Midol! It's wonderful!
I assign ibuprofen to the Shire too. No matter what brand.

Volo: Well, waking up every weekend at nine am to the "serenade" of MCR and its minions at very earsplitting volumes with my brother and his friends singing at the top of their lungs make me hate teenaged boys with eyeliner.

Legal Madness.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:53 AM   #1253
Volo

Quote:
Volo: Well, waking up every weekend at nine am to the "serenade" of MCR and its minions at very earsplitting volumes with my brother and his friends singing at the top of their lungs make me hate teenaged boys with eyeliner.
Hehehee. Poor you, I can relate to that, having three little brothers.

Formented apple juice, even though it's probably illegal and socially not approvable. But I'm sure hobbits have nothing against it.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:01 AM   #1254
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
I'm currently having a torrid love affair with Neil Gaiman's. Really, I'm so hopeless about it...
Neil Gaiman belongs in The Shire alright!
Old 10-06-2008, 01:34 AM   #1255
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I assign oil colours and the stains they leave on your hands... makes me feel artistic. I could also assign wind, and the fact that I used to be a good writer*. I really find my old texts enjoyable, it's weird.

*I can't say if I still am since I don't write enough these days.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:17 AM   #1256
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I assign very old books with that particular fragile texture and smell. I inherited an old Bible, published during 1899, from my dad, who said he got it from his mom who managed to save it along with an old rosary and nothing else but herself during the Second World War, and my grandma inherited it from her dad, all the way from some distant Spanish ancestor.

Legal Madness.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:03 AM   #1257
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I assign oil colours and the stains they leave on your hands... makes me feel artistic.
So true. I have green on the back of my hand just now, and white primer absolutely destroying my pretty red nails...

I assign taking a chance (ahem... ripping a perfectly good painting into one inch thick strips in order to weave it together into something much less representational) and having it look rather cool.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:29 AM   #1258
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
I assign oil colours and the stains they leave on your hands... makes me feel artistic.
My friend asked me today if I have bruises on my fingers and palm.

I also want to assign the feeling when a painting is almost ready and you see it is actually quite good after going through all those bad phases. It makes you believe in your ability to paint again.

Quote:
I assign very old books with that particular fragile texture and smell.
Seconded.
Also English paperbacks deserve a nomination. I love their smell.

I assign China Miéville to the Shire. He might not enjoy being there, though, but hey, that's not my problem!
Old 10-06-2008, 10:57 AM   #1259
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Well, I've never used oil color in my life, just oil pastels. However during my eleventh year while my mom was painting our house I took some blue and white and black water-based paints, and made a dolphin painting on cartolina. I was very proud of the stains on my hand and on the cotton shirt I was wearing. Unfortunately though I lost both shirt and painting when we moved out.

Legal Madness.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:04 PM   #1260
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
However during my eleventh year while my mom was painting our house I took some blue and white and black water-based paints, and made a dolphin painting on cartolina. I was very proud of the stains on my hand and on the cotton shirt I was wearing. Unfortunately though I lost both shirt and painting when we moved out.
Look on the bright sde- at least you still have your hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo View Post
Formented apple juice, even though it's probably illegal and socially not approvable. But I'm sure hobbits have nothing against it.
Cider?
Old 10-06-2008, 11:29 PM   #1261
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

My exam in Postcolonial Theory is over! The worst is over! Yay! That's off to the Shire! *prances around in joy*

Legal Madness.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:33 AM   #1262
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Being so into your work that not only do you fail to notice that your body is frozen and your stomach is growling, but that class ended a half hour ago and everybody's gone including the teacher.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:12 PM   #1263
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Quote:
I assign very old books with that particular fragile texture and smell. I inherited an old Bible, published during 1899, from my dad, who said he got it from his mom who managed to save it along with an old rosary and nothing else but herself during the Second World War, and my grandma inherited it from her dad, all the way from some distant Spanish ancestor.
***blinks in awe***

...(Ahem.) (Um, can I say me too? No rosary beads, but my great-great-grandfather's King James bible. Smells great. )

SO... what I assign to the Shire...

"Yé! utúvienyes! I have found it!"

I assign "Found Things" or perhaps better, "Lost Things Now Found" to the Shire. (Or to Rivendell, and midsummer dancing by the river. Tra-la-la-lally!)

Come unto these yellow sands, and then take hands;
curtsied when you have, and kissed the wild waves whist.
Foot it feetly here and there!

TRA-LA-LA-LALLY!!!!!
Old 10-07-2008, 08:11 PM   #1264
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Books, lots and lots of books! I never realized how much I love reading books until I had to spend more time reading these awful text books for college, it just makes the time that I spend reading real books all that much better.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:58 AM   #1265
Volo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
Cider?
Cider.

Lingonberry juice also, and jam (the more the better)!
Old 10-08-2008, 08:23 AM   #1266
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Cranberry juice is way better.

I assign the taste of blood when your lips are bleeding.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:55 AM   #1267
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
I assign the taste of blood when your lips are bleeding.
oh goodness me, I assign that one to Mordor.

Legal Madness.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:06 AM   #1268
Volo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Cranberry juice is way better.
You're wrong.

Quote:
oh goodness me, I assign that one to Mordor.
I to Orthanc.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:09 AM   #1269
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

Paper telephone. It made my day once again.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:24 PM   #1270
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

love letters handwritten and delivered via snailmail. it really puts a smile on my face.

Legal Madness.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:01 PM   #1271
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Friends who occcasionally indulge you when you pout and sulk over trivia rather than scolding you Obviously it would be bad so to do often but occasionally it is cheering.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:58 AM   #1272
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Days that turn out totally... hmm... idylic, in an unexplainable way; nice people, good friends and good not-that-close-friends; proper autumn; Saruman, Black Riders, and Pink Floyd. I wonder about what may look like the assignment of the latter three, of whom at least two sure have been to Shire before - with results which could be argued upon as being positive or not
I also assign good feelings overall.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:14 AM   #1273
Diane C
Pile O'Bones

Diane C has just left Hobbiton.
I will assign my grandfather's collection of old smoking pipes to the Shire, because there can never be enough pipes to smoke Longbottom Leaf!
Old 10-10-2008, 07:58 AM   #1274
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
The Thanksgiving holiday--sharing joy in gratitude for life and the splendors of the harvest. Very hobbitish I think, even if it is a New World holiday.

(And for people who turn it into a habitually grumpy, argumentive, boring family reunion--why, that and they belong in Mordor. )
Old 10-10-2008, 07:59 AM   #1275
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Finally UP Press has published an anthology of our finest love stories... now I can read love stories that are really worth it. I'm such a closet-romantic, see, and that book has helped me "get out". Off to the Shire!

Personal favorites include Lakambini Sitoy's Weight, Gilda Cordero Fernando's The Dust Monster, and Paz Marquez Benitez's Dead Stars. I think the latter can be found on the internet.

Legal Madness.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:42 AM   #1276
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
The end of the working week! For all that I enjoy my placement it does wear me out sometimes - and that makes Friday night amazing.

Also, the strange but very welcome extra bit of summer we seem to experiencing at the moment. I love the sunshine.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:12 AM   #1277
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Also, the strange but very welcome extra bit of summer we seem to experiencing at the moment. I love the sunshine.
Global warming.

Legal Madness.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:08 AM   #1278
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Nights of unexpected awesomeness where you're just on. You know... on, like everything you do is great, and even when you make a mistake you're happy because you can fix it and look how much it just taught you. And everyone knows you're totally on fire, and when you step back you're like, "Oh yeah. Now I remember why I'm doing this..." Those nights. Nights it all makes sense and your recently bruised up ego gets healed.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:13 AM   #1279
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
"From quiet homes and first beginning, Out to the undiscovered ends, There's nothing worth the wear of winning, But laughter and the love of friends."

People who prove the truth of the above...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:56 AM   #1280
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I assign clear autumn days when the evening sun shines on leaves of many radiant colours and the air is crisp and refreshing.

Last edited by skip spence; 10-16-2008 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Not telling
skip spence is offline   Reply With Quote