The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2008, 08:59 AM   #1281
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Full moon and cloudless nighttime skies and the mountains of the Sierra Madre illuminated and a very cool breeze that signifies the coming of the -ber months. And the end of a wacky semester for little Lindale.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:55 PM   #1282
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I assign the Beatles! 'Nough said.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:02 PM   #1283
Peregrin Took
Animated Skeleton

Peregrin Took has just left Hobbiton.
The Full Moon and the rolling clouds that pass it by
Old 10-17-2008, 11:02 PM   #1284
Peregrin Took
Animated Skeleton

Peregrin Took has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
I assign the Beatles! 'Nough said.
AND YES!!! I just saw this...you rock...but not as much as The Beatles!!! Greatest band that ever lived.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:06 AM   #1285
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrin Took View Post
AND YES!!! I just saw this...you rock...but not as much as The Beatles!!! Greatest band that ever lived.
Goodness me, if I don't think they do, does the fact that I was not even conceived back then excuse me? But I love Yellow Submarine anyway. Only Beatles song I know.

Legal Madness.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:03 PM   #1286
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I assign opening what looks like a bill and finding it is a cheque from Ernie. One day it will be the big prize but in the meantime occasional £50 windfalls are still much appreciated .. now handbag or books....handbag or books...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:40 PM   #1287
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
now handbag or books....handbag or books...
Get a handbag to carry those books.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:51 PM   #1288
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Dark, clear night skies when you can see the stars clearly and the moon shines so bright that it casts shadows on the ground. Rowing on a lake on such a night, and although the temperature is only a bit above zero, the beauty of it all makes you forget to feel cold.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:48 AM   #1289
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
I assign opening what looks like a bill and finding it is a cheque from Ernie. One day it will be the big prize but in the meantime occasional £50 windfalls are still much appreciated .. now handbag or books....handbag or books...
I think this might solve your dilemma:

http://www.retrotogo.com/2006/10/hardback_book_h.html

Old 10-21-2008, 10:01 AM   #1290
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oooh I pretty but completely useless fo someone who carries so much stuff on a daily basis as me - I would merely carry it around in a larger bag... and there is part of me that feels there is something fundamentally wrong in destroying a book even a dreadful book even to turn it into a handbag. A mini bonfire of the vanities. Even though I have no qualms about turning part of a cow into a handbag...

Old 10-21-2008, 11:30 AM   #1291
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Dark, clear night skies when you can see the stars clearly and the moon shines so bright that it casts shadows on the ground. Rowing on a lake on such a night, and although the temperature is only a bit above zero, the beauty of it all makes you forget to feel cold.
Seconded, Aganzir! I thought many times of assigning clear night skies to the shire, I don't know why anybody hasn't done it before, it's absolutely thrilling!

Last edited by Groin Redbeard; 10-21-2008 at 02:43 PM.
Groin Redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:58 PM   #1292
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Oooh I pretty but completely useless fo someone who carries so much stuff on a daily basis as me - I would merely carry it around in a larger bag... and there is part of me that feels there is something fundamentally wrong in destroying a book even a dreadful book even to turn it into a handbag. A mini bonfire of the vanities. Even though I have no qualms about turning part of a cow into a handbag...
"A Handbag!"

I know, getting in a flap over a destroyed book! I was the same! I'd better not show that to davem or he will flip.

Mind, if it was a book on tax law or a Jeffrey Archer or something then I'm all for it

Meanwhile, a simple one. I assign bags of crisps to The Shire. A bit too tasty for their own good, they never fail to hit the spot, and they are made of taters.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:02 PM   #1293
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Rainy cold windy blustery October days. *love* Coat and scarf weather. The weather where you're not frozen to the bone by going out, but coming in to the warm becomes so much more delightful than if it was just nice out. Weather that begs for a hot mug of cider to warm you back up.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:10 PM   #1294
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

a gorgeous long dress that makes up for the very belated debut, and a very nice garden to have the party. Satisfies even the inner Disney-ish princess in me.

Legal Madness.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:14 AM   #1295
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė View Post
"A Handbag!"

Mind, if it was a book on tax law or a Jeffrey Archer or something then I'm all for it

But then you wouldn't want to be seen carrying a Jeffrey Archer gutted or otherwise... oh taxlaw books don't remind me - when I was lowest form of life in an accounts practice it was my task to update the blighters. They were in loose leaf binders and you had to replace the updated pages which had an ever more convoluted numbering system since the updates were seldom the same lengths as the parts updated. Now hopefully superseded by online reference....

Old 10-22-2008, 07:50 AM   #1296
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I assign redecorating my room. I've recently had the urge to make my bland white walled room into an antebellum style room, I could not remember the last time I had so much fun! Staying up into the wee hours of the night, playing my George Strait CD's and rumiging through the attic looking at pottery and old curtains and antique swords saying: "Hmm, this looks old. Let's see how it will look over here."
Old 10-24-2008, 11:30 AM   #1297
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I assign entering a classroom to take an exam with a clear mind. It feels so good to know that you weren't panicked during the test and that you answered every question to the best of your ability, and while you may not have answered all of the question correct you know that you got some big points that you wouldn't have seen if you were panicked.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:56 PM   #1298
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrin Took View Post
Why thank you! I rock to the Beatles!
Old 10-27-2008, 09:43 AM   #1299
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
I assign entering a classroom to take an exam with a clear mind. It feels so good to know that you weren't panicked during the test and that you answered every question to the best of your ability, and while you may not have answered all of the question correct you know that you got some big points that you wouldn't have seen if you were panicked.
Would that that happened during the years I was forced to maintain grades on the hard sciences... relaxed exams are a luxury for lovely little crammers like little Lindale.

Legal Madness.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:16 AM   #1300
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

George W. Bush shortening the overseas service time for our troops. I just got off the phone with my dad and he'll be coming home in a few weeks!
Old 10-31-2008, 01:26 PM   #1301
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dūm

Gollum the Great has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
George W. Bush shortening the overseas service time for our troops. I just got off the phone with my dad and he'll be coming home in a few weeks!
Nice.
Gollum the Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:12 PM   #1302
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I assign the polling precinct where I voted a few hours ago. The workers were polite, knew their business, and I was in and out in less than 15 minutes.

Groin, let's hope the next president eliminates the need for servicemen to go to Iraq at all. I do not believe that any soldier should be subjected to combat based on outright lies that go beyond the border of criminality. But that specific assignation belongs to Mordor, I believe, so I shan't sully this thread with further comment.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:23 AM   #1303
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Having three classes canceled in the next week or so because it means I can cook dinner. This afternoon when I'd normally be in class? Vegetarian chili with corn muffins (served with honey butter) for all.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:33 PM   #1304
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
There's nothing quite as refreshing to body and mind as the scent of an orange.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:03 PM   #1305
Bźthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen
There's nothing quite as refreshing to body and mind as the scent of an orange.
Unless it's a Terry's orange-infused chocolate.

And in other matters:

Dreams coming true, hope fulfilled, knowing you can.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:04 PM   #1306
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bźthberry View Post
Dreams coming true, hope fulfilled, knowing you can.
Yes ma'am.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:34 PM   #1307
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I assign the latest episode of South Park, which did a perfect parody to the different reactions of the US election.

Plus, the idea to have Obama, Michelle, McCain, and Palin as actually criminals undercover who are secretly working together to make the whole election a big setup so that they can pull off the biggest heist in history by stealing the Hope Diamond...that was bloody brilliant.

Really, it was an episode I think both Democrats and Republicans alike can laugh at.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:31 AM   #1308
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Thumbs up

I assign the really friendly people at our faculty's International departement, RPGs that turn to completely unexpected and funny ends, and finished tasks.

Yay
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:57 AM   #1309
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I assign window shopping in malls so that you know what you can seek in wholesale Chinese-run stores to sell in your own bazaar. And having a larger capital this year for my bazaar. A thousand can be turned into two, given my abilities!

Legal Madness.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:39 PM   #1310
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Wild Turkey American Honey liqueur. Like candy for grown ups. I can imagine hobbits downing this stuff with great enthusiasm: the bourbon warms you while the honey smooths out the burn.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:43 PM   #1311
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Wild Turkey American Honey liqueur. Like candy for grown ups. I can imagine hobbits downing this stuff with great enthusiasm: the bourbon warms you while the honey smooths out the burn.
That sounds rather like Glayva, which is made with a blend of Scotch whisky - plus the honey, spices and citrus. It's very, very nice
Old 11-12-2008, 08:54 AM   #1312
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I assign my three favorite type of people in this world: American Soldiers, musicians and patriots. Add all three together on Veterans Day and you get a winning combination!
Old 11-12-2008, 10:01 AM   #1313
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
To be honest it does not sound like people that would be many of in the shire (talking about ME)

I assign the "Honey Hearts" that you can buy at the bakery during the winter.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:19 PM   #1314
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Dimturiel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Dimturiel Send a message via Yahoo to Dimturiel
I assign the photography exhibition that's taking place at our university this week. Actually, I assign black and white photos in general. They are so atmospheric and can tell so many things!
Old 11-12-2008, 01:09 PM   #1315
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I assign mild autumn days, the scent of leaves piled in profusion, and cool autumn nights by a fire. Unfortunately, it's mid-November in Michigan, and alas! those days are all but gone for this year. It already snowed on Monday.

Oh, how appropriate -- post number 666!

Last edited by Morthoron; 11-12-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Morthoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:31 PM   #1316
Ibrīnišilpathānezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Today, I would assign anniversaries, as my husband and I celebrated our 31st today.

And I believe this is post 200 for me, on the western side of Lake Michigan where we only got a few flurries of snow this past weekend, and some lovely stands of trees are still hiding out here and there. Wonderful season, autumn, even on frosty mornings.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:05 AM   #1317
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrīnišilpathānezel View Post
Today, I would assign anniversaries, as my husband and I celebrated our 31st today.
Wow, big congrats to you That's quite some time. Best wishes and even more for the future
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:09 AM   #1318
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I assign the cold front that makes the tropics not as hot as usual. I finally found a use for my long-sleeved blouses and dresses. Yay!

Legal Madness.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:18 PM   #1319
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Cooking for oneself, luxuriantly. With white wine as an ingredient.

I rather enjoy being home alone at times...
Old 11-13-2008, 08:21 PM   #1320
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Cooking for oneself, luxuriantly. With white wine as an ingredient.
I can relate to that, I like cooking alone when everyone is gone. Although, I've never tried cooking with wine, yet.