The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2008, 08:42 PM   #1321
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
I can relate to that, I like cooking alone when everyone is gone. Although, I've never tried cooking with wine, yet.
I didn't intend to and then I quite suddenly remembered that we had cooking wine in the fridge. I thought the melding flavors would be good...

And, in fact, they were.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:23 PM   #1322
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Organic maple yogurt. First two ingredients: milk, pure maple syrup.

I'm desperately in love.

Did hobbits eat yogurt? I wonder...
Old 11-21-2008, 11:45 AM   #1323
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I assign cold fronts to the shire. It's around sixty-degrees today, everyone is running around with heavy overcoats and bushy hats, I'm the only one that's still in a T-shirt and shorts. It's nice to have some cooler weather after the hot summer that we've been having.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:37 PM   #1324
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gollum the Great has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
I assign cold fronts to the shire. It's around sixty-degrees today, everyone is running around with heavy overcoats and bushy hats, I'm the only one that's still in a T-shirt and shorts. It's nice to have some cooler weather after the hot summer that we've been having.
What the???

Oh yes, Texas is hot place. Where I live 60 degrees is a nice warm day.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:07 PM   #1325
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Boots <- boots come in handy in this weather

Snow.

It makes the world (or at least Helsinki ) beautiful and it also makes me happy.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:11 PM   #1326
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Snow.

It makes the world (or at least Helsinki ) beautiful and it also makes me happy.
Not just Helsinki I would second that, and I hope the snow we had here over the weekend and which has diminished by today, will fall again over the night, for this far, it had always renewed over the night... I'd only wish there were more, more, more of it! I wish to drown in it! Aiiieeee!!!

"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:14 PM   #1327
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
Snow.

Gah, I'm so jealous. Of course during the week of absolutely freezing weather, not even a flurry would fall in Boston. But as soon as it warms up, it just pours buckets of rain.

I want my snow already! Though now that I've said it, I'm sure it won't snow heavily until December 18 (the day I fly home for Christmas) and then I'll somehow end up getting stuck in a random airport. That's how it usually happens...
Old 11-25-2008, 11:26 PM   #1328
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Yes, yes... the rest of you can definitely take the snow, if it means Edmonton can keep missing out. While there's perhapsa tiny little seed of nostalgia in me that would like to see some white stuff, the rest of me overwhelmingly assigns this brown Fall to the Shire (where, after all, snow is apparently rather rare). Not only has it meant that I have had the first semester of my life no slipping and sliding dangerously as my 20 minute commute becomes 40, but it has also meant that our construction project has managed to recoup the five weeks lost by the late groundbreaking in the spring--and this is hugely important, since there is no viable Plan B for me to live anywhere else next fall if that residence isn't built.

So, as far as Edmonton goes, keep the lack of snow coming!
Old 11-26-2008, 06:51 AM   #1329
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Snow.

Maybe in the next lifetime if I am born in the temperate zone I can be able to see snow. Or at least, if I manage to get a scholarship somewhere where there is winter. But anyway Christmas in the perpetually hot and humid tropics can be very very very nice, especially with our own food. Yay for jamon de bola!

I assign this website for helping little kids trying to learn German! Taught me a lot more than my current professor.

Legal Madness.

Last edited by Lindale; 11-26-2008 at 06:55 AM.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:21 AM   #1330
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Snow.

It makes the world (or at least Helsinki) beautiful and it also makes me happy.
I remember that cold white stuff. I used to live up on the tip of Michigan and we'd get three feet of snow in a night, I still remember shoveling the snow off our roof. I therefore counter your assignment of snow with lots of sunshine in the wintertime. It's still 70 degrees in Texas!
Old 11-26-2008, 01:17 PM   #1331
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Why do weather assignations always bring so much discussion?

Now, I would like to assign two things. Firstly, finding creative ways of studying. For example, it is far nicer to learn French from the French translation of LotR than from the utterly dry and rather confusing grammar book I have. Secondly, I would like to assign Kent's album Tillbaka till samtiden, I've been listening to it all the time for the last couple of days and I've not got bored yet. It's great!
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:16 PM   #1332
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Especially interesting since there isn't an Englander amongst them ... meant to be our prerogative

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:11 PM   #1333
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Why do weather assignations always bring so much discussion?

Now, I would like to assign two things. Firstly, finding creative ways of studying. For example, it is far nicer to learn French from the French translation of LotR than from the utterly dry and rather confusing grammar book I have. Secondly, I would like to assign Kent's album Tillbaka till samtiden, I've been listening to it all the time for the last couple of days and I've not got bored yet. It's great!
I never listened to them alot, but Kent is quite big here in Denmark. . . even though people are not quite sure if they sing in swedish or english

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:08 PM   #1334
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Especially interesting since there isn't an Englander amongst them ... meant to be our prerogative
Maybe that's because when we assign the weather, it's mostly to Mordor.

Last edited by Eönwë; 11-27-2008 at 04:17 PM. Reason: too, many commas
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 05:33 PM   #1335
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
I remember that cold white stuff. I used to live up on the tip of Michigan and we'd get three feet of snow in a night, I still remember shoveling the snow off our roof. I therefore counter your assignment of snow with lots of sunshine in the wintertime. It's still 70 degrees in Texas!
Well, it's not 70 here! We just got a foot of snow! I wish that we got more snow now, in 1999 Anchorage got like four feet of snow, my cousin and I made a house!
Old 11-27-2008, 09:45 PM   #1336
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
1420! < We need a mushroom icon.

I would like to assign such mundane but oh so appreciated things such as automatic dishwashers, plastic wrap, tupperware containers, tin foil, and whipped cream.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:50 AM   #1337
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I assign Barrow-Downish dreams to the Shire (I wonder how the Hobbits are going to cope), and possibly also general feeling of happiness and RPGs, when they are going well.

And old songs bringing back old feelings which motivate you in some way.

Oh, and old members coming back
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:05 PM   #1338
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Knowing good friends so well and for so long that you don't really have to say much to communicate. You get conversations like:

"Hey, remember when-"
"Yeah! Hahaha, that was amazing!"

I like not having to finish sentences.

Hate the snow though. I forgot how wet and sticky lake effect is.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:13 AM   #1339
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I assign poorly thought out sales which mean that instead of paying £19.98 for two items, you pick up a third item and end up paying 51p less than you would have done for just 2 items. Yeah, and following on, I assign how they have people who are less than accounting geniuses working in marketing departments, mua-ha-ha. And finally. I assign feeling smug.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:51 AM   #1340
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Grandparents, they are so wonderful! We had them for the last day on Sunday, my brothers and I stayed up all night with them just talking about the "good ol' days" eating leftover Thanksgiving Pies. However, we didn't have any Whipped Cream, so what does my grandpa do: he makes some out of egg whites. It was absolutely delicious, you can't beat grandparents and their knowledge!
Old 12-02-2008, 09:34 AM   #1341
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Kind teachers. Everything about myself that I am proud of today, I attribute to the kind guidance and patience of teachers I've had.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:16 AM   #1342
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
This post may actually be more appropriate to the "Addicted to the Downs" thread.

I assign discovering you have a Downer in your mobile's contacts' list in the middle of the most boring late afternoon you've been stuck at school ever (last day of classes and no one else is there waiting for night class), and having someone to randomly text with absolutely no content, simply because texting another Downer is enough to brighten one's day.

And getting randomly sucked into the audience of a drama you hadn't expected to be able to attend.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:29 AM   #1343
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formy
I assign discovering you have a Downer in your mobile's contacts' list in the middle of the most boring late afternoon you've been stuck at school ever (last day of classes and no one else is there waiting for night class), and having someone to randomly text with absolutely no content, simply because texting another Downer is enough to brighten one's day.
Ah, I was wondering what could've possibly made you so bored. Perhaps I should assign receiving a text from a BDer when you don't at all expect it. It amused me muchly.

Though I'll assign to Orthanc the fact that for some odd reason I didn't have your number in my contact list and was confused for a good three minutes. It must be because I've only talked to you using my home phone...but never fear, it's fixed now.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:33 AM   #1344
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I assign Alan Moore signatures
Old 12-05-2008, 12:00 PM   #1345
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
I assign Alan Moore signatures
Hmmmmmmmm....!

Want to exchange for my Nightwish (minus lead singer) signatures?
Old 12-05-2008, 02:13 PM   #1346
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
I would like to assign such mundane but oh so appreciated things such as automatic dishwashers, plastic wrap, tupperware containers, tin foil, and whipped cream.
How about toilets? I don't think I'd get along very well without one...
Old 12-05-2008, 11:34 PM   #1347
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Fun nights.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:07 AM   #1348
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

I assign when the cat gets in bed with you, which helps you sleep, though of course the cat does not intend that, oh no, the cat merely intends to get a nice comfy place to sleep and probably eat your soul or something. But all the same, it's like having an uber-furry hot water bottle with you
Old 12-06-2008, 08:10 AM   #1349
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
I assign when the cat gets in bed with you, which helps you sleep, though of course the cat does not intend that, oh no, the cat merely intends to get a nice comfy place to sleep and probably eat your soul or something. But all the same, it's like having an uber-furry hot water bottle with you
yes it is very nice, until it claws you in the middle of the night or you randomly develop an allergy. . .

Old 12-06-2008, 03:54 PM   #1350
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
I appreciated my friends' cats working shifts when i stayed with them in NZ (no central heating) but when they both wanted to join me I ended up having to sleep round them - rather like with childseats in cars, the smallest beings take up the most space. And my last cat liked to sleep along my bolster which was a bit disconcerting.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:06 PM   #1351
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lemmy specialises in getting into the smallest spaces possible though. She used to hide in my shoes when she was a kitten and was so small you didn't spot her!

The snoring usually drives her off eventually though
Old 12-06-2008, 05:08 PM   #1352
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
This only works so long as the cat doesn't decide to scratch at something next to your head in the middle of the night and then - when you reach out groggily to shush her - massacre your hand thinking it's play time. *glances at healing claw marks*

To the Shire - though it should probably go to Orthanc - I assign passive-aggression. Oh yes I do.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:35 AM   #1353
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Quote:
She used to hide in my shoes when she was a kitten and was so small you didn't spot her!
Or maybe you use hughe shoes and have really bad eyesight?
(just a theory)

Old 12-07-2008, 03:49 AM   #1354
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Reminds me of our college cat, whom we fondly call Pusacal. The term is a pun, pusakal is actually a combination of two Filipino words pusa, cat, and kalye, street, so it's street cat literally, but since that cat lives in the College of Arts and Letters, we fondly call her Pusacal. Cat of the College of Arts and Letters. Often I let her sit on my lap while I read.

Anyway, I assign to the Shire the fact that our local boxing hero Manny Pacquiao has won yet again against some Mexican legend Oscar De La Hoya. Nice. Even non-sports fans such as me got really happy. And our professor promised us some burgers and coke if he won!

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:41 AM   #1355
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Discovering my colleague is pregnant - it's so exciting!
Old 12-09-2008, 10:20 AM   #1356
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

New fun projects.

The amazingness that is checking items off a very important list of Things to Do.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:12 PM   #1357
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

As he has passed in to the West

The wonderful creations of Oliver Postgate that shaped many a British Childhood..

(Bagpuss, Ivor the Engine, The Clangers, Noggin the Nog etc).

Old 12-09-2008, 04:27 PM   #1358
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
The wonderful creations of Oliver Postgate that shaped many a British Childhood..

(Bagpuss, Ivor the Engine, The Clangers, Noggin the Nog etc).

And the Marvellous Mechanical Mouse Organ can go to the Shire too, as can the saggy old cloth cat, and the soup dragon...
Old 12-10-2008, 07:20 AM   #1359
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Ah I should have italicised - I meant the programmes and characters as a whole not the eponymous heroes. I have had the song of the mice of the Marvellous Mechanical Mouse Organ going round my head for about 24 hours now.. and am liable to sing to myself..... and swear in Clanger.... .

I was thinking about it last night and I can't help suspecting that loving "Smallfilms" prepared the way for loving Tolkien a few year later. There are a lot of the elements - myths, dragons, heroic deeds of the small, the gentleness of the Shire and a certain melancholia are there....

Old 12-10-2008, 06:42 PM   #1360
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Omelets.

Not because they're particularly amazing, but because I finally succeeded in making one properly and I'm very proud of myself, thank you very much.