The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2009, 04:20 AM   #1481
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
No. I was watching Fringe last night.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:27 AM   #1482
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakon View Post
No. I was watching Fringe last night.
Sure you were.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:25 PM   #1483
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I remembered yesterday why I stopped watching Grey's after Season 2, random character changes that go unexplained and a terrible script, we're talking atrocious. Which reminds me...

If we're talking new seasons of TV shows I would assign Glee and Heroes to the Shire.

Edit: Ahh and when your Wednesdays are jammed with all the great shows of the week you want to see from 8 pm until 11:30, a DVR belongs in the Shire too.

Last edited by Boromir88; 09-25-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:35 PM   #1484
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I assign suits that make you look like a Russian mob boss. I love looking this way and yes I have pictures for any who are interested.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:20 AM   #1485
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
I assign suits that make you look like a Russian mob boss. I love looking this way and yes I have pictures for any who are interested.
Ooh! *is interested*

I could as well assign clothes that make you look like a Fascist. And especially boots.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:04 PM   #1486
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
*gets the fear*
Old 09-26-2009, 01:08 PM   #1487
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
I could as well assign clothes that make you look like a Fascist. And especially boots.
You should stop listening to BWO! I fear you are under the influence of the dreaded Alexander Bard.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:20 PM   #1488
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
You should stop listening to BWO! I fear you are under the influence of the dreaded Alexander Bard.
Ahhaha guess what I'm listening to just now! I save my pride! Å-å-å-åh! I save my love! Å-å-å-åh! In the night I cross the ocean to save my pride fooor looooove!
Old 09-26-2009, 01:30 PM   #1489
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Hakon and Agan, you two seem to be entertaining a somewhat peculiar idea of the Shire, if I may say so. Or perhaps you're thinking of Sharkey's Shire?
Old 09-26-2009, 02:17 PM   #1490
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
I assign Facebook status updates that send one rushing to book airline tickets over Christmas holidays.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:41 PM   #1491
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGEW
I assign listening to the LotR soundtracks for the first time in a long while.
Seconded! Legate and I did that a few days ago and we also played the LotR board game and it was very nice, all of it.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:54 PM   #1492
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
I assign Facebook status updates that send one rushing to book airline tickets over Christmas holidays.
How about status updates that instigate long discussions over who loves Lord of the Rings better, and who is the most dedicated Anglophile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Seconded! Legate and I did that a few days ago and we also played the LotR board game and it was very nice, all of it.
I wish I had a LotR board game.... But it's nice that Downers can get satisfaction and joy out of simple things like that!
Old 09-27-2009, 01:12 PM   #1493
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
I wish I had a LotR board game.... But it's nice that Downers can get satisfaction and joy out of simple things like that!
If you ever come to Finland we can play it. *nudgenudge*
Old 09-27-2009, 02:19 PM   #1494
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
I wish I had a LotR board game....
Make your own.

It'll be a lot more fun than anything you buy at the store...
Old 09-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #1495
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemosyne View Post
Make your own.

It'll be a lot more fun than anything you buy at the store...
True, but it's a lot easier to buy a ready made one... projects like that tend to remain unfinished... (*remembers a not so distant plan of a game where players are nazgûls looking for the Ring and can for example meet Tom Bombadil and have tea with him* )
Old 09-27-2009, 03:02 PM   #1496
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Quote:
True, but it's a lot easier to buy a ready made one... projects like that tend to remain unfinished... (*remembers a not so distant plan of a game where players are nazgûls looking for the Ring and can for example meet Tom Bombadil and have tea with him* )
I guess it depends on how complicated it is... Three friends and I put one together in the space of three hours over the same number of days. It was simple, but it was amazing... largely because sometimes it involved doing very, very silly things like Dwarvish Victory Dances and spazzing a la film!Galadriel.

Unfortunately when we parted one another's company we had to split the pieces of the game in memory of the amazing times we had. I got the best part of all (the "action cards") but later passed it on when I knew I wouldn't be able to see anyone else in the group again.

Doesn't mean I don't remember exactly how it went and couldn't 1). instruct people or 2). make another one at any time...

Personally, though, I still want someone to come out with a Risk: Beleriand game.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:29 PM   #1497
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Which one? We've got a few now. I enjoy the trivia based one best because I like quizzes, but the others are pretty good, plus the artwork is rather nice and they're worth having for that alone. The big War of the Ring one cannot go up though now, with The Whirlwind about and lots of little plastic figures and dice he can eat.

Errr, to keep it on topic.......I send Board Games to The Shire!
Old 09-28-2009, 09:43 AM   #1498
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
Which one? We've got a few now. I enjoy the trivia based one best because I like quizzes, but the others are pretty good, plus the artwork is rather nice and they're worth having for that alone. The big War of the Ring one cannot go up though now, with The Whirlwind about and lots of little plastic figures and dice he can eat.

Errr, to keep it on topic.......I send Board Games to The Shire!
It has a separate main storyline board and adventure boards (Moria, Helm's Deep, Shelob's Lair and Mordor), you play as a team and the artwork is by John Howe. Does that ring any bells?

And as for assignations, Leonard Cohen belongs to the Shire although I'm not sure if that'd be his favourite place.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:34 PM   #1499
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
It has a separate main storyline board and adventure boards (Moria, Helm's Deep, Shelob's Lair and Mordor), you play as a team and the artwork is by John Howe. Does that ring any bells?

And as for assignations, Leonard Cohen belongs to the Shire although I'm not sure if that'd be his favourite place.
That's one we've got too, it's a strange game but once you play, it's great fun. You can get 'expansion packs' for it too, but we've only got the Sauron one so far, the Friends and Foes one is quite hard to find.

The little individual battles games are worth having if you can find them, we've got a 'Balrog Battle' one we bought in a London games shop when we were there for a few days a couple of years ago, and ended up playing that instead of going out
Old 10-02-2009, 07:10 PM   #1500
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Tolkein-based board games definately belong in the Shire.

Lommy, you mean the LotR collaborative game, right?

Lord of the Rings

Haven't played it for a while, but it's a cracker - and most challenging (especially, I think, for two players).

The there's the War of the Ring, an absolutely fantastic game, which recreates both the Fellowship's Quest to destroy the Ring and the tactical skirmishes and battles taking place at the same time. What's more, the Battles of the Third Age expansion allows you to recreate the battles of Helm's Deep and Pelennor Fields.

And then there is the latest in the set - Middle Earth Quest - a game set in the 17 year period between Bilbo's eleventy-first Birthday Party and the departure of Frodo and company on the Quest of the Ring. The characters are invented, but the situations which arise in the game are familiar. I have only played it a few times so far, but I am impressed with how well the game designers have brought to life a period which is really only referred to in the back story sections of LotR.

I should add that I do not work for Fantasy Flight Games - on the contrary, they have done well from me over the years - but it is fair to say that they are the premiere producers of Tolkien-themed board games. In consequence of which, I hereby consign them to the Shire.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:33 PM   #1501
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I assign Twilight Zone Conferences to the shire. I am at one now and it is great. I got to meet some great guys and I got to meet George Clayton Johnson. I will elaborate if anyone wants me to.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:39 PM   #1502
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I assign having enough money in the bank to buy a two way ticket to Britain.

I also assign the Uncyclopaedia article for Maxwell Edison. It makes me happy!
Old 10-03-2009, 05:39 AM   #1503
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man View Post
Lommy, you mean the LotR collaborative game, right?

Lord of the Rings

Haven't played it for a while, but it's a cracker - and most challenging (especially, I think, for two players).
Yeah, that was the one. I really liked it, it's brilliant. And I think it is quite challenging for two players, at first I wondered if it's possible to get to the end at all. (Although on second try we - or Lommy Gamgee, respectively, after poor me heroically sacrificed myself to be eaten by Sauron - made it almost to Mount Doom - although I think in the end, it's always "almost" and even one step closer makes a big difference.)

Quote:
And then there is the latest in the set - Middle Earth Quest - a game set in the 17 year period between Bilbo's eleventy-first Birthday Party and the departure of Frodo and company on the Quest of the Ring. The characters are invented, but the situations which arise in the game are familiar. I have only played it a few times so far, but I am impressed with how well the game designers have brought to life a period which is really only referred to in the back story sections of LotR.
Hmm, that actually looks very interesting. I might as well try to get my hands on that.

And well, you may not be working for the company, but maybe you could ask them to give you some small reward after such large scale advertising I agree with you, though. Most importantly of all for me, the games are not just movie-based.

P.S. Should we assign SpM's return to the Shire...?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:12 AM   #1504
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
Ahaha! Which leads me to assign Greyhound Bus Lines to the Shire!
Old 10-03-2009, 07:59 AM   #1505
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
P.S. Should we assign SpM's return to the Shire...?
I was actually just about to.

Or we could make it more general and just assign all returns to the Downs by old members.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:52 PM   #1506
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man View Post

I should add that I do not work for Fantasy Flight Games - on the contrary, they have done well from me over the years - but it is fair to say that they are the premiere producers of Tolkien-themed board games. In consequence of which, I hereby consign them to the Shire.
Just be very, very careful if you visit games shop Orc's Nest off Shaftesbury Avenue because you will have your bank manager holding his head in despair (but will probably be helping the economy, or something). Follow that with a trip to Forbidden Planet up the road and you'll be single-handedly getting us out of recession.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:28 AM   #1507
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
Or we could make it more general and just assign all returns to the Downs by old members.
I could definitely assign that. I'm always so happy when someone I've missed reappears - especially if I haven't been keeping in touch with them elsewhere - and lately we've got Valier, Roa and SPM back. It's just wonderful.

I could also assign LotR related dreams. I had a very very scary dream where I was Frodo hiding from the Nazgûl in Crickhollow and seeing the black horses walking on the edges of the yard during the day and waiting for the sunset when the Nazgûl themselves would surely appear and knowing there's no way I can run away from them... it was really cool and made me want to read LotR. (I wonder where I was? Maybe in Hollin...)

PS. If I ever have money, it looks like I'm going to buy some board games.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:00 PM   #1508
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Google

And Woodchuck draft cider.

Both made the process of cooking a new chili recipe far more effective, in pleasantly differing ways.

How I do adore thee, Google.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:51 PM   #1509
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I assign my new haircut to the shire although I no longer have hobbit curls. The hair is too short.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:07 PM   #1510
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
I assign my new haircut to the shire although I no longer have hobbit curls. The hair is too short.
So you'll look even more like a mobster?
Old 10-17-2009, 03:25 PM   #1511
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I will post a picture on the photos page and you can be the judge.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:20 PM   #1512
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
I assign finishing a decent attempt of a paper about Islamic feminism. I know so little of the subject, as I only did my research during the past few weeks.

Also, I assign a very well-deserved sem break after a long sem's work.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 04:47 PM   #1513
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I assign postcards from Lebanon

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:47 PM   #1514
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I assign receiving wonderful news from a friend.

Last edited by Bêthberry; 11-03-2009 at 08:52 AM.
Bêthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:13 PM   #1515
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Daylight savings- an extra hour to sleep.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:30 PM   #1516
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I assign four-day weekends - so much sleep...
Old 10-30-2009, 09:56 AM   #1517
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
A day with my long-time boyfriend from distant Baguio, and getting to see the famous sunset on Manila Bay with him.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:46 AM   #1518
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

The simple pleasure of a nice, hot cup of tea on coming home from a walk in the fields with our dogs on a sunny but chill autumn evening.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:34 AM   #1519
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's so wonderful.

(Although I wonder whether assigning snow to the Shire is not, in fact, something like assigning it to Mordor, because Sam actually did exactly the same on Caradhras, assigning snow to the Shire, but what he intended by it was rather closer to what we mean when we assign something to Mordor.)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:14 PM   #1520
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
When someone you love gets their heart's desire after a lot of hard work, wait and tribulation. My "baby" cousin has got a place at BRNC Dartmouth - after a near miraculous but slow recovery from an eye injury that nearly cost him his sight two years ago

Only hope there is no truth in the old saw on this occasion.... (that the only thing worse than not getting your heart's desire is getting it..).

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 11-05-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote