The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2009, 11:17 PM   #1521
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I assign reading something that makes me really happy. I love reading!
Old 11-09-2009, 08:28 PM   #1522
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
I assign reading something that makes me really happy. I love reading!
Oh, definitely! I love reading. That reminds me, I need to get to a library soon.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:08 PM   #1523
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I assign getting to meet an author you are a fan of and have him sign the book he wrote. The other half of this will be assigned to mordor. Try and piece them together.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:09 PM   #1524
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakon View Post
I assign getting to meet an author you are a fan of and have him sign the book he wrote. The other half of this will be assigned to mordor. Try and piece them together.
J.R.R. Tolkien's ghost? Er... wight?
Old 11-10-2009, 12:37 AM   #1525
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
While there are many complaints I have about my college, I do have to assign the wonderful opportunities that the school has to offer. We get a lot of guest speakers and such, but silly me, I didn't take advantage of it my first three years, perhaps partly because many opportunities I wasn't interested in, though mostly it was availability conflicts. But finally I'm going out of my way to take advantage of these events. Today I attended an informal talk with Jason Reitman (director of Juno and Thank You For Smoking) which was very interesting. A couple weeks ago, some of the cast and the director from Boondock Saints came to talk and promote their sequel. A month ago I attended the New Hampshire Film Festival, shamefully my first film fest, and it was quite the experience. It makes me wish I took advantage of these things earlier.

And it sort of makes up for my failing miserably at getting involved with student organisations, which all seem to involve either auditions I can't get into or time commitments that I can't commit to. Not to mention, being the quiet person I am, it's much harder to get involved with these things after freshman year since cliques have already formed. *hates clubs because they're cliquey*
Old 11-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #1526
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nienna has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to Nienna Send a message via MSN to Nienna
I assign getting a fabulously new computer.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:02 PM   #1527
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I can second the assignation of reading. Although, currently I should be reading Dante's Inferno and the Finnish translation is rather painful to read... But fortunately I'm reading fabulous Le Guin too and that's not painful at all...

I also assign the Middle Ages. I was just wondering today what could I do when I grow up if I studied Art History, Litearature and a subject called Medieval Studies... mmm...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:11 PM   #1528
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I read Dante's Inferno last year and loved it. I read it in English but I could understand some of the original text. The copy I have has the English translation on the right page and the original text on left page. To be honest I am not fully sure if the original is in Latin or an early form of Italian. I think it is a mix of both but I understood some of it, I take Italian in school so I can kind of read it.

Anyway to make this post on topic. I assign typewriters to the shire. I love writing and I always get distracted on a computer but I solved the problem. I have a typewriter now and not only is the sound relaxing but no distractions. That sounds like a bad commercial.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:17 PM   #1529
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
I assign typewriters to the shire. I love writing and I always get distracted on a computer but I solved the problem. I have a typewriter now and not only is the sound relaxing but no distractions. That sounds like a bad commercial.
That's actually interesting and, well, in a way, cool. At the times when one would say the typewriters' time is over.

To keep this post on topic: hmm... did I happen to assign... snow?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:17 PM   #1530
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
I read Dante's Inferno last year and loved it. I read it in English but I could understand some of the original text. The copy I have has the English translation on the right page and the original text on left page. To be honest I am not fully sure if the original is in Latin or an early form of Italian. I think it is a mix of both but I understood some of it, I take Italian in school so I can kind of read it.
It is Italian unless my course teacher fooled me... My mum recommended trying to find an English translation because the Finnish one is so bad. Or well, it's not bad, but it was translated by a (very famous) poet who wanted to be true to the original poetic form and loved old-fashioned language, so it is at times very confusing. And I think I'd be above avarage both in understanding archaic language and poetry. *sigh* But oh well, I will finish it and it is still enjoyable at times.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:25 PM   #1531
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

My copy was translated in the 1940's so it reads very differently from a modern translation. It is reads similar to Shakespeare only a little less wordy. I stole my copy, just want to throw that there. A teacher of mine lent me his copy and I have yet to return it. I have a good quote about borrowing books. I will change my signature to it later today.

Uhh to keep on topic I assign rain to the shire. I LOVE the rain.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:26 PM   #1532
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Late Medieval Italian. One of the awesome things about Dante was that he wrote in the vernacular, which wasn't really done earlier in the medieval period.

I second Lommy's assignation of medieval stuff.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:23 AM   #1533
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
St Anthony....

Despite being a non-catholic and pretty much agnostic I am devoted to St Anthony and he has come up trumps again this morning by returning to me against all hope a precious earring as well as a few other long mislaid items which I was happy to see again. It doesn't help that I am fantastically untidy but I hadn't much hope of seeing the earring (some monetary but great sentimental value) again since I lost it on a day when I had ripped out an old carpet and it could quite easily have disappeared down a crack in the floorboards. Also it showed up without me having to sift through a hoover bag of nasties.

Last edited by Mithalwen; 11-14-2009 at 06:34 AM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:52 AM   #1534
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
I assign– the doctor telling me I'm too healthy to need a swine flu shot. YAY! Go me!

*pats self on back with expression of idiotic smugness*

Seriously, it was a relief. I'm a bit of a wimp about needles...
Old 11-19-2009, 06:34 AM   #1535
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
An amazing find at a pawnshop. My jeweler mom found a heart-shaped diamond, around 0.35 carats or more but set in fourteen-carat gold, for just twelve thousand pesos. That isn't a lot of money for a diamond as good as that... but sometimes pawnshops put too much value on the gold but not at the stones.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:00 PM   #1536
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Crayola. I would be their spokesperson in a heartbeat.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #1537
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I assign planning committees for - and I'm not making this up - "the Fall Retreat, which will take place in February." The official-sounding language was most amusing.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:48 PM   #1538
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I assign fictional worlds that help make your homework fun. We had the assignment to write a war poem for English, we are looking at World War II lately. I have been trying to write some minor poems about some battles in a fictional world I came up with and I changed one around a bit and finished my homework. It was so fun. Yay for creative like assignments in English class.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:52 PM   #1539
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Apple computers.

Does your computer know how to tell knock knock jokes? Because mine does.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:13 PM   #1540
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

How does it do that? I have an apple computer but mine cannot tell knock knock jokes.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:59 PM   #1541
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Under System Preferences, click Speech. Make sure 'Speakable Items' is on. Hold down 'ESC' and say, "Tell me a joke." Enjoy.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:59 PM   #1542
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

I assign waking up at ten (okay, that is something to assign, but there is more) to a phone call from a friend I haven't heard from in two years. And then having an awesome day to boot!
Old 11-27-2009, 05:56 AM   #1543
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
ABS (anti-lock brakes) without which I might not have been here after my car aquaplaned last night - I don't think I would have had the wit or skill to cadence brake when I hit a load of floodwater the lights didn't pick up in time...
Old 11-27-2009, 09:49 AM   #1544
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
ABS (anti-lock brakes) without which I might not have been here after my car aquaplaned last night - I don't think I would have had the wit or skill to cadence brake when I hit a load of floodwater the lights didn't pick up in time...
*shudders* Well then it definitely deserved to be assigned it to the Shire. Scary. So was there flash flood around where you live?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 11-27-2009, 07:17 PM   #1545
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I can assign flea medicine for cats. The poor little devils have been miserable for a week, but the tide seems to have turned.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:12 AM   #1546
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Good coffee in my cup, rain outside my window and the Swan of Tuonela on my cd player.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:35 AM   #1547
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
So was there flash flood around where you live?
Not really more the opposite.... a lot of rain in a day after a lot of rain over a long time...I think it was a blocked drain since it was on a main road which is usually clear. Of course all the dead leaves have been blown from the trees and are clogging drains which doesn't help. But we are a lot better off than the poor souls in Cumbria.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:16 AM   #1548
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Not really more the opposite.... a lot of rain in a day after a lot of rain over a long time...I think it was a blocked drain since it was on a main road which is usually clear. Of course all the dead leaves have been blown from the trees and are clogging drains which doesn't help. But we are a lot better off than the poor souls in Cumbria.
Ah, okay. I thought so because I had only a very vague idea of some floods around GB, given my general ignorance streaming from somewhat limited value of information sources I've had access to lately, and did not know on how large scale it happens and thus if it also was your case.

Aanyway... I assign artificial light, particularly candlelight, to the Shire, and also the idea of common meals with the family.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:02 AM   #1549
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I would like to assign that most worthy and gigglesome word "Busseau".

Busseau.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:01 AM   #1550
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

I assign impressing my parents so much (aka, proving that I am willing to do whatever pops into their minds at a moment's notice) that they let me move the Internet computer into my room!!!
Old 12-05-2009, 08:00 AM   #1551
Mugwump
Wight

Mugwump has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
I assign impressing my parents so much (aka, proving that I am willing to do whatever pops into their minds at a moment's notice) that they let me move the Internet computer into my room!!!
I assign being young enough again that I could have that problem!
Mugwump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:07 AM   #1552
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I'm assigning puppies. The end. My puppy is no longer technically a puppy (he's going to be 5 on christmas!) but as long as they are still adorable, puppy should be applicable.

When he *was* a puppy:

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...19398_3044.jpg

A more current one meeting my sister's new puppy (a King Charles Cavalier):

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._5607221_n.jpg

And since she's also an adorable puppy...my sister's puppy who really wanted to get at the piece of cake dropped on the floor:

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...4_528492_n.jpg

Last edited by Boromir88; 12-07-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:51 AM   #1553
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
That first pic is just hilarious and amazing!

It looks like the traditional sweet little happy-puppy every child would love... but look at the expression! Like an oldtimer expressing resignation, but still looking with sympathy to the younger generations facing their own existential anguishes...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #1554
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Custom jewelry.

After two years of searching, I finally have the exact necklace I was looking for. You know how? Because I made it myself. And it's awesome.

The end.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:16 PM   #1555
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

I assign spending over two hours making up a diary with my mom and little sister. The first section is the diary of a kinder-gardener, but the book morphs into a notebook where she writes random stuff. It's for a White Elephant gift exchange. The other gifts we're bringing are a white elephant (literalness is always fun) and a Seseme Street picture book.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:42 PM   #1556
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I assign my new fictional world. I have now created 4 of them and each is unique. I am so proud. I also assign my new video game Assassin's Creed 2. I love it, very fun but it is very hard for me to choose between playing the game or reading the great book I am reading.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:23 AM   #1557
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
I assign our Cadet's Ball tonight: my long-distance boyfriend came down to go with me, I got to wear a very pretty dress with very pretty shoes, and I got to dance and chat with our usually-aloof and detached (and gorgeous) cadet officers. It's not something that happens everyday--especially the first and third.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:35 PM   #1558
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Snow
Old 12-17-2009, 04:14 PM   #1559
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
Snow
Definitely.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:34 PM   #1560
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Definitely.
Not as much as in the Fell Winter or Helcaraxë, but we don't get much snow here so we try enjoy every minute of it! (Whereas I suppose to the Finns and Alaskans, it's nothing special).