The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-30-2007, 11:26 PM   #41
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I am added right?

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:10 AM   #42
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir
I'll play. If the game starts this early, I'll have time.
If think that I am away at the same time as you, so if the game is still going at that time, there will be a short break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
I would like to play, if I may.
Welcome aboard. Good to see you werewolfing again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune
I am added right?
Gah! How could I have missed you?

OK, that's twenty. Looks like we're ready to roll. I'll leave sign-up open until later today, in case anyone else wants to join. But, provided that no one drops out, the game will start tonight at 11.30pm BST. Hidden roles will be sent out shortly beforehand.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:36 AM   #43
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

It has occurred to me that, as the game starts with a Day phase, there will be only a small window between the roles being dispatched and Day 1 starting, which give little opportunity for those who can PM each other at Night to do so before the Day starts.

The earliest that I wil be able to send the roles is between 8.30pm and 9.30pm (BST), which is only about 2 to 3 hours before the game starts.

In light of this, are people happy to get stuck in straight away, or would people prefer a Night phase first? It depends on when people are able to get on, really. Any views?
Old 05-31-2007, 06:46 AM   #44
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I don't know what opinion the others have, but when you said here that we start with a Day, I thought "oh, that means no before-game discussion, but fine". I think unless e.g. the Wolves want to make some hyper-sophisticated strategy, there is no need for them to PM before Day 1, since they have nothing else to do that Night (like posting kills etc). And Day 1 is just Day 1. I think they can survive one Day without PMing, if your game is built like that - of course some people prefer more PMing each other before start, but you can say that's just how it is in this game, and so the problem is solved. You are the Mod, after all.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:51 AM   #45
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Thumbs up

Well, my preference is to start as soon as possible, given my difficulties later in the month, so I agree.

But, if anyone won't be able to get on between the roles being sent and the game starting and is particularly keen on having pre-game discussion (in the event of having a hidden role permitting this), I am willing to listen.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:02 AM   #46
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Well, of course some people might not even come online before the start, so they wouldn't have time to speak to you even if they wanted... but I wouldn't bother with it, it's just how it is...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 05-31-2007, 07:17 AM   #47
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
As I mentioned before, I'm moving today. So if I get a role that requires any immediate action, please know that's why I'm non-responsive for a bit.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:26 AM   #48
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
I'd also like to start sooner rather than later (most of my exams are clustered together in about 2 weeks time, but I'm sure I'll be dead by then. ).

I'll be a delegate from nearby Necropolis.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:38 AM   #49
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
I'll be a delegate from nearby Necropolis.
In that case I'll be a delegate from nearby Fortress You know, from somewhere in Mirkwood...

Hey... now it striked me... I'll be simply a Legate of Amon Lanc!

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 05-31-2007 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:36 AM   #50
Isabellkya
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Isabellkya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
At the risk of sounding like a complete moron... I am not extensively familiar with all of Mirkwood.. are we just coming up with names for these villages which we are delegates of? Or are there actually that many villages in the area?
Old 05-31-2007, 11:11 AM   #51
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I think the wolves (and what-not) can handle one Day-phase without discussing. They will have all the time after that to discuss their strategies. And as they will be notified of their roles anyhow, which I take for granted, they know to avoid each other during the game or to play more daringly anyhow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabellkya
are we just coming up with names for these villages which we are delegates of? Or are there actually that many villages in the area?
Even though some of the villages sound possible many of them seem to be more caught from the thin air (or from Monty Python) more to amuse... So do not stress with it but come up with something, either realistic or just fun.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:18 AM   #52
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabellkya
At the risk of sounding like a complete moron... I am not extensively familiar with all of Mirkwood.. are we just coming up with names for these villages which we are delegates of? Or are there actually that many villages in the area?
As far as I am aware, there are no villages within the area actually specifically identified within Tolkien's works, so it's pretty much up to you. As you can see, most of the delegates so far identified are not exactly canonical.

OK, we'll go with a Day 1 start at 11.30pm BST today. Roles will be sent out shortly before the game starts. Since not everyone will have an opportunity to discover their role before the game starts, there will be no contact permitted between the players who are allowed to communicate by Night until Day 1 has finished and Night 1 has begun.

To save me from excessive PM'ing, if you do not receive a PM telling you that you have a hidden role, you may assume that you do not have one.

Oh and please remember to switch to Invisible Mode (using the Options screen on your User CP).

Happy werewolfing!

Edit: 11.30pm BST is just over 5 hours from the time of this post (it's 6.20pm BST as I make this edit)
Old 05-31-2007, 11:56 AM   #53
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
And I shall be the naughty delegate from the Castle Anthrax.

EDIT: or the village with the unlikely name of "Castle Anthrax".
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:04 PM   #54
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
To be safe, check from here.

Fill in 11.30PM (23.30)

Then GMT+1

And add your timezone...

Just remember the Daylight savings...
(There is quite a substantial updating for them at the bottom of the page "Don't know your timezone?")
Old 05-31-2007, 02:08 PM   #55
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
So, just under two hours from now?
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:16 PM   #56
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin
So, just under two hours from now?
Yup, about two hours (precisely 15 mins from now it will be precisely two hours).

And as SpM said, don't forget everyone to go into invisible mode...
Old 05-31-2007, 02:22 PM   #57
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

The hidden roles are now being sent, so no more discussion in this thread please, save for administrative matters.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:55 PM   #58
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I'm so sorry about that all. My parents woke me up this morning to inform me that, rather than having a free day until about 7, I was going to be out. I had time to post on the thread and that was it which is why you didn't get an explanation til, well, now.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:12 PM   #59
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dűm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
Just so everyone knows, I actually DID just wake at about 8:15 and the deadline is 8:30 for me. That's why I didn't post until right at the deadline.
The Sixth Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:02 PM   #60
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Many apologies for taking so long to write the narrative, but I had to painstakingly check my grammar.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:09 PM   #61
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Hooray! No more role-based quips!
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Old 06-01-2007, 08:02 PM   #62
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
You know, I kind of like role-based quips...
Old 06-01-2007, 08:08 PM   #63
Isabellkya
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I as well liked the role-based quips. I was drinking apple juice and snorted some on my computer screen when I laughed.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:26 PM   #64
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Oh, that was a magnificent narration, Saucy! I'd rep you, but it appears I haven't been generous enough...
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:58 PM   #65
xyzzy
Haunting Spirit

xyzzy is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.

I introduce you to the forum, and you thank me with death.

Gee, thanks.

Just kidding, of course. Or am I?
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 07:30 AM   #66
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Well I've just been informed by the 'rents that all of Sunday is going to be spent doing something both obligatory and mindnumbingly dull with the family. I probably wont get a chance to vote on Day 2. Sorry.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:29 AM   #67
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Huh, I'm here.

I only have two hours' time here toDay as I didn't manage to get the net access working and I'm currently in Noggie's place.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:38 PM   #68
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

If both myself and Lommy are alive on Day3 (and onwards) we will be sharing the computer once again as the girls are moving to my place to have a summer vacation.

That means:
- Lommy plays more than this far - I play less than this far.
- Neither of us will be quick in their turns in any last minute frenzy as we need to log out - log in everytime we change places.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:43 PM   #69
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Darnit.

I really must apologize. I slept this whole day away! I guess that's what staying up until 6 in the morning will do to a person.

I promise, I'll be a LOT (and by a LOT, I do mean, a LOT) more active here on in.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:53 PM   #70
Isabellkya
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

My internet was not working this morning and then I had to rush to a softball tournament all day. Sorry. This weekend got unexpectedly pretty hectic around friday.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:41 PM   #71
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Apologies for the slightly late start, but I was running behind time. Day 3 will finish at 11.35pm BST tomorrow.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:47 AM   #72
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I have just started a demanding new assignment - tomorrow is a big day as I am being left alone for the first time and I am really tired. For this reason I shall not be around late tonight. It should then ease up realtively if I am still in hte game so please bear with me

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:18 PM   #73
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Well, that's one way to say, "Shasta! Be more active!" XDD
Old 06-07-2007, 03:37 AM   #74
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

I just thought I'd mention that last night I dreamt wolves were attacking me.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:19 PM   #75
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
I'll be away the whole Day5. Going off to a rock festival. (Might have enough time to toss a vote and a short post.)
Old 06-08-2007, 04:24 PM   #76
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Sorry folks, but I'm having computer problems. Typing this from my BlackBerry, but it doesn't look like I am going to be able to start the Day tonight.

So I'm going to have to postpone until further notice.

Really annoying, but there's not a lot I can do about it at the moment.

Will post an update as soon as I can.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:39 PM   #77
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

On second thoughts, I will try to start the Day using this infernal thing as I seem to be able to post with it.

I will see what I can do but it may take a little while and it won't be a fancy narrative.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:41 PM   #78
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

If you managed to post that much you might have as well posted the situation and we could have continued... I mean it's pretty late here and we need to go to sleep...

With the situation myself and Lommy face this is the most unfortunate as we're going to the countryside within something like 14 hours (and we need to sleep before it)... And in principle open ended deadlines / starting hours are bad as they would require one to be online constantly...

So please, if you can just inform us of the situation we could continue. Otherwise the Day5 will easily become a sham if no one knows when it starts or ends...

In the worst case someone comes and reveals something as happened a few games ago as there was a similar kind of (not the same) confusion around...

EDIT: X'd with Sauce... yes go on... fill in the narration afterwards. With the quality you produce them rest assured we will read them later anyhow - and to get some hints as well...
Old 06-08-2007, 05:33 PM   #79
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Yes, sorry about that, but this confounded device is pretty difficult to use for this sort of thing (although I am getting the hang of it), and I didn't even know whether I would be able to post with it before I posted above.

Computer doesn't look good so I will probably have to use this thing while at home for the forseeable future.

Day 5 will finish at 12.15am BST tomorrow. If I can't post straight away then, please stop talking and voting at that time. And if anyone is around near the end when all the votes have been cast, it would be helpful if you could post them as it will be difficult for me to count them up on this thing.

Apologies for the inconvenience, but I'm pretty hacked off myself with my computer at the moment.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:26 PM   #80
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

The computers... so nice to make all this possible but then again so darn malfunctioning at the hour they're needed!

So the latest from me and Lommy. After a lot of to and fro we're going to make a trip to our summer cottage with Lommy's sis. We will be away something like two days. In gametime that means from the halfway of this Day to the latter part of the nextDay.

So we will be voting toDay somewhat early and if alive / the game is on, also posting & voting toMorrow (but at the later stages of the Day) as we have no internet-access there.