The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-03-2002, 01:57 PM   #1
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rosa Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rosa Underhill
Sting Request of Permission

Okay, I finally went through the whole "Effects of Fantasy" thread (great answers and, for a while, an interesting debate, until it got mean). I've found tons of useful quotes that I'd like to put in my paper but I don't want to use them without the author's permission, so, may I get permission from you guys to use the following quotes?

Quote:
Child of the 7th Age: fantasy literature helped her get through the heartache of losing a daughter
“It's not the be-all or end-all of my existence, but it is one part of who I am.”
“In your own post, you say fantasy is "pure escapism and back to reality again". I believe this is true, but with one important difference. When you return, you are changed just a bit from having read and participated in that subcreation. It may be just a fantasy world with Elves and Hobbits and Ents, but this subcreation carries messages about who we are, our values, and how we should respond when challenges abound.”

Tigerlily Gamgee: “It helped to find somewhere else to go when peers and school became cruel and hard to handle.”
“I think that fantasy is one of the last places on earth that you can find nobility in humans.”

MyyyPreciousSS: “I don't even want to know what I would be like if I hadn't discovered fantasy....”

Aosama, the Wandering Star: “Fantasy always made me believe in something better.”
“Books, especially fantasy and adventure, allow me to go places and do things I could never do in real life. It's kind of liberating, actually.”

Araen: “If it wasn't for Fantasy books I would not be tyoing this right now. In the last couple of years I was so buillied, so teased that I became very depressed and I wanted to kill myself. The only way I managed to cheer myself up was to read or to slip into Pern or Middle Earth. I would pop in for tea at Bilbo's or stand on the sands at Fort Weyr.”

Amarinth: “i remember when i was in college a long time ago, a student leader was assassinated in our campus. in his grave are written the epithet, immortal words of frodo at the grey havens: "for it is so...some will lose it...so that others may keep it."”

dragongirlG: “Reading fantasy gave me a shelter that I had not discovered, especially Harry Potter because the characters were going through the same teenage things that I was.”
“Fantasy has helped me grow emotionally, made me more mature, and discover my passion: writing.”

Thinhyandoiel: “But I find my current use for fantasy is not only escape, but for learning and discovery.”
“Shortly after the fight began, I found that I was suddenly in the basement, where I am right now, with The Two Towers in my hand….But for that space of 45 minutes the shouts and swearing, the banging and slamming of doors was gone.”

NyteSky: “Most importantly it stretches one's imagination, more than any other genre seems to. It shows me things I never would have thought of, lets me see things from the other guy's point of view, takes me places long forgotten. I owe a great debt to fantasy and its writers. The world would be a barren desert without it, devoid of beauty and imagination and hope.”

Jessica Jade: “Words are definitely very powerful tools....the biggest lie i have ever heard is that old sing-song rhyme:"Sticks and stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me." Blah! Can any statement be more blatantly false? Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can tear my soul to pieces.”

Manelwen:“I am constantly reading stale textbooks, utterly depressing newspapers and grim biographies; once in a blue moon, a nice thick and juicy fantasy novel makes me feel better again.”

Thalionyulma: “What was the effect of fantasy on me? A lot. It has given me dreams.”
I may not be able to use all of these in the paper but most of them would be a great help. Thanks for your time guys! Oh, and as soon as I get the paper done (which should be soon since it's due on Monday) I'll find some place on the 'net to post if for anyone who wants to read. Of course, I could always try submitting it to the fan fiction area, but I don't think it counts since it's an essay and not completely Tolkien or Middle-Earth related... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-03-2002, 02:41 PM   #2
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Considering that these posts were made on a website to which the public has access, as I understand it, their content is in the public domain. Very polite to ask permission though.
Old 05-03-2002, 06:26 PM   #3
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

I'll be glad to give permission. Have fun writing the paper. Let us know how it goes! sharon, the 7th age hobbit
Old 05-03-2002, 06:36 PM   #4
Araen
Haunting Spirit

Araen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Fine with me. I hope you get a good grade on your paper.
"Where is the horse and the rider, where is the horn that was blowing, they have passed like rain on the mountains, like wind in the meadow, the days are damned in the west? behind the hills? there are shadows... "
Araen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 09:20 PM   #5
Belin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
White-Hand

Not that it's really any of my business, none of the words being mine, but just out of curiousity... how are you planning to cite them? I don't believe MLA makes any allowance for such things as of yet, and they pose interesting citation problems, although I do think Internet words are indeed valid.

--Belin Ibaimendi
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Belin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 09:42 PM   #6
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rosa Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rosa Underhill
Sting

There actually is a way to cite these quotes in MLA format. For the main citation (on the "Works Cited" page) you put down the name and address of the message board. When you do an in-text citation, you put down something like "...(Barrow Downs, post 7)" I think. And, to clarify the speaker of the quote, you'd just put his/her name in the sentence in which you quote them somewhere.

And thanks guys for your extra permission. I just wanted to be really sure it was okay for me to quote you. I will tell you all about the paper when I find out how it went (I've got to do a presentation on it Wednsday).
Old 05-04-2002, 09:48 PM   #7
Thinhyandoiel
Wight

Thinhyandoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thinhyandoiel
Eye

Sweet, I helped. ^.^ Yep! You have my permission! Good luck on the paper!
Thinhyandoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 10:43 PM   #8
Jessica Jade
Wight

Jessica Jade has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jessica Jade
Sting

you have my permission, Rosa [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Good luck with the paper!

The musicians had indeed laid bare the youngest, most innocent of our ideas of life, the indestructible yearning for the way things aren't and can never be. ~ Philip Roth, The Human Stain
Jessica Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 10:14 AM   #9
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Silmaril

Yey! Good luck Rosa!

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Starbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 12:13 PM   #10
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Sure, you can use my quotes!
I am interested to read your paper when you are done! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 09:08 PM   #11
NyteSky
Haunting Spirit

NyteSky has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NyteSky
Ring

Hmm. Considering you said it's due Monday this probably won't matter. At least I hope you're not feverishly working on it now. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] (if it was me, I would be) But thanks, glad you found something you might be able to use in what I said. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Goodluck, and I'd love to read it.
NyteSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 09:14 PM   #12
Aosama, the Wandering Star
Wight

Aosama, the Wandering Star has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wow! I've been quoted! I feel so honoured!
I know this is late, but use any words of mine. Words are just toys that I play with, and I will share them with anyone who wants to play with me. Excuse the corny analogy, but its all I can come up with [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
And I'd love to read it too!

[ May 05, 2002: Message edited by: Aosama, the Wandering Star ]
Aosama, the Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 03:16 AM   #13
Thalionyulma
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thalionyulma has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

glad to have helped, even in such a small way. Good luck!
Thalionyulma is offline   Reply With Quote